Recipe #10

Sugar, Romance, and a dash of Luck

 

“So any luck on the special cake?”

Minho looked up at Taemin’s question. It took him a while to figure it out but once he did, his face lit up. “Oh! Yeah, it’s going well. I kind of have an image in mind. I’m just working on putting the ingredients together now.”

Taemin whistled in amazement at the other’s progress. He never thought Minho would have gotten this far already.

“If you ever need help, you know, I’m here.” Taemin offered a bit awkwardly. Even though he has no pastry making skills, he feels guilty not doing anything. This cake WAS supposed to represent the two of them, so he should at least take part in making it somehow.

Minho laughs at this. “Alright, I’ll call you whenever I need help.” Taemin nods.

There was a comfortable silence as the two of them just sat there. Minho is the one to break the silence. “So I was wondering-“

Suddenly, Taemin’s phone rings. Taemin takes it out in alarm and reads the caller’s name. “Omo! It’s So-Hee!” He jumps up from his seat and nods to Minho apologetically. “Sorry, I need to take this.” Minho shakes his head. “No worries go ahead.”

Taemin soon answers the call. “Hello?”

“Taemin!” So-Hee’s gentle and light voice comes out from the other line. “How are you?”

Taemin switches the cell phone to his other hand. “I’m good. Why are you calling?” A bright smile was spread over Taemin’s face.

“I was wondering if you wanted to hang out today.” So-Hee offered.

“Of course!” Taemin exclaims almost immediately. So-Hee giggles at the other’s enthusiasm. “I’ll meet you at the front of the school in 15 minutes kay?”

Taemin nodded quickly. They said their goodbyes before Taemin hung up. “You have to go now?” Minho guessed from the conversation that he heard.

Taemin felt a bit of regret for leaving Minho like this. “I-I’m really sorry I-“

“No, no, go ahead. Have fun.” Minho said, grinning reassuringly.

Taemin smiles in relief. He’s glad Minho understood him. “Thanks Minho, I owe you! Bye bye~” With that, he gathers up his stuff and waves a final good bye before he’s out the door.

Minho’s slowly stops smiling once Taemin’s gone. He wanted to show him something, but it will have to wait.

 

The next day Taemin came to visit Minho; he smelled sugar, cream, and chocolate.

“Yum!” Taemin said right out. He walked over to the kitchen and peered from the doorway at what Minho was making.

Minho had taken out a brownie from the oven and put it on a cooling rack. Next, he boiled some water in a pan before putting a metal bowl on top. Minho put some chopped white chocolate along with fresh cream inside the bowl, stirring until they were melted before taking the bowl off the pan.

Minho added 1 teaspoon of white Curacao and mixed it with a spoon, before adding a tiny bit of red food coloring to turn the ganache into a medium shade of pink.

After, he went back to the brownies and cut them into 16 squares, spreading the pink ganache on top. Finally, he used a piping bag to squeeze melted white chocolate over the brownies in a zig-zag pattern. He topped them with sprinkles before transferring onto a fancy plate and the rest into a gift bag.

Minho looked up from his finished work towards Taemin, giving a light smile. Taemin smiles back and gets ready at a table.

Minho takes the bag and plate, carefully transferring them outside and putting the plate in front of Taemin.

“Love Pink Brownie. Have a taste.” Minho said as he took a seat across from Taemin.

Taemin nods and carefully takes a brownie before taking a small bite.

White chocolate.

The soft brownie.

And was it…Cranberries?

“You put cranberries inside?” Taemin said once he had swallowed the pieces of brownie. Minho nodded, “Since the cranberries are in season now, I decided to use it to my advantage. Does it taste weird?” His eyebrows knitted together in worry.

Taemin shakes his head quickly. “No, it’s delicious!” This was the first time he ever tried cranberries in a pastry, but he’s glad you did.

His eyes dart to the other brownies, which were stored in a gift bag. “What are you going to do with those?” He asks.

Minho looks at the brownies, then back at Taemin. Smiling, he pushes the bag to Taemin. “Here, those are for you.”

Taemin’s eyes widen at this. “Eh?! Really?” He exclaims. Minho nods. “Consider it a gift from me.”

A gift…” Taemin straightens up quickly. “Maybe I can give this to So-Hee!”

Minho’s smile slowly melt’s off. “Eh?”

Taemin looks at Minho, his expression pleading. “Please? I think she’ll really like it.” Minho hesitated for a few minutes, before forcing a smile and nodding. “Sure, I’m sure she’ll love it.” Even though this was supposed to be JUST for Taemin, he could share…

Taemin bobs slightly in happiness. “Thank you so much Minho! You’re the best.” He chirps. Minho nods again, fingers entangling meekly.

As if on cue, Taemin’s phone starts ringing. He picks it up quickly. “Hello…? Omo, So-Hee!”

Minho continues watching Taemin chat happily on the phone, seeing his expression change many times helped him feel a little better.

“Right now? I totally forgot! I’ll be there right now, neh okay bye!” With that, Taemin hangs up. “Thank you for the brownies Minho, I’ll see you tomorrow neh?” He said before taking the gift bag and bolting out the door. Minho didn’t even get a chance to reply and the other was gone.

Minho stayed there in silence for a bit, his eyes wandering to the plate of brownies. He slowly takes one and bites into it softly.

This must be what it feels like…To know that the person you like, doesn’t like you back.

 

“Taemin!” So-Hee greeted Taemin at the front door of her house. Taemin was panting from the sprint but gave a bright smile. “Sorry I’m late. But I brought you something.” With that, he takes out the gift bag with the brownies inside, giving them to So-Hee.

So-Hee gasps in surprise as she takes the bag into her hands. “Omo! Thank you so much Taemin. Did you make all this?”

“Well actually-“ Taemin’s speech was cut off by So-Hee’s surprise hug. “You’re so talented Taemin! I’m going to eat this well.”

Taemin swallows nervously, not sure of how he could tell So-Hee that he didn’t really make it, since she was so convinced now. So he ended up taking the credit. “Y-Yeah…I’m glad you like it.” He said quietly.

Once So-Hee pulled back, she moved aside for him. “Come in, I need some serious tutoring.” She chuckled.

Taemin nods and goes into house, followed by So-Hee as she closes the door behind them.

 



 

Who wants to hug Minho?

Taeminnie wae you so blind?! Ugh, anyway I still hope you enjoyed this chapter. Very little ideas so this chapter is kinda short >.< Gomen~ I shall see you guys next chapter, PEACE!