Recipe #15

Sugar, Romance, and a dash of Luck

 

“You’ve lost your sense of taste!”

Taemin continued staring blankly at the table, having no motivation to answer or move.

Minho looked at Taemin with worry. He got into thought of what to do.

“You know what, how about every day after school, you come here and I’ll give you something to taste. I don’t think the effect will be permanent so we’ll keep trying to awaken your taste buds until then, neh?” Minho said softly.

There was a short silence before Taemin nodded.

Minho looked out the window and noticed how late it was. “You should go home and rest. We’ll talk more about it tomorrow evening, kay?”

Taemin simply nods again and slowly gets up from his chair, making his way to the door. Minho follows closely, feeling pained to see the younger boy in such a neutral state.

When they reach the front door, Minho pulls Taemin into a comforting embrace. “Be safe…” He whispers.

Taemin stayed in the other’s arms for a while, not wanting to part. “Thank you…” He answers quietly before pulling back and giving a small smile.

Minho watched the other leave. He felt so worthless…Not being able to be there for Taemin when he needed him most.

 

The next few days past according to plan: Taemin comes out of school and goes over to the pastry house. Minho gives him a dish to try.

But each one had a failing result.

“Here.” Minho said and pushed a sweet in front of Taemin.

“Black Sesame Pudding. Have a taste.”

Taemin takes a small bite of the pudding.

Still nothing.

He sighs and pushes the plate away.

“Nothing?” Minho asks in disappointment.

Taemin shakes his head in answer.

Minho sighs and sits down on the chair across from Taemin. He reaches over and grasps Taemin’s hand tightly. “Don’t worry, we’ll keep trying.” He reassures.

Taemin looks up at the other, feeling a something warm grow in the pit of his stomach. Minho really cared for him…Maybe he could return his feelings-

Taemin’s cell phone shocks the both of them. Minho lets go of Taemin’s hand and lets him answer.

“Hello?” Taemin said.

“Taemin…”

The boy’s eyes widen at the familiar voice.

“So…Hee?”

Minho looks up at Taemin, recognizing that name well.

“Yeah…It’s me.” So-Hee’s voice sounded quite different. It was softer and gentler. “I was wondering…Can we meet up?”

Taemin hesitated. “What for?”

Silence from the other line.

“Please Taemin?” So-Hee asked again, as if she was oblivious of the other’s question.

Taemin was clutching onto the phone quite tightly. But he finally gave in. “Alright…Meet me in the front of the school.”

“Oh thank you Tae-“He hung up before she could finish.

“Was that So-Hee?” Minho asked hesitantly. Taemin nodded as he put the phone back in his pocket and stood up. “I’ll be right back, okay?”

When Taemin turned to leave, he was surprised to feel a hand tugging on his arm. He looks back to see Minho grasping his arm, expression worried. “Will you be alright?”

Taemin smiles softly, “I’ll be fine.” When he feels Minho loosen his grip, he gently pulls back and walks out the door.

 

When he arrived in the front of the school, he saw that So-Hee was already there.

Her face brightened when she saw Taemin’s arrival.

“Tae-“

“What is it?” Taemin asked coldly when he was standing in front of the other.

So-Hee winced at the icy tone. “Listen…I’m so, SO sorry about before. I was just feeling frustrated and I said things I shouldn’t have said…”

Taemin listened half-heartedly. He wasn’t in the mood for this.

“I know I have no right to say this after all I did to you….”So-Hee bite her lower lip, “But I want you back.”

There was a long silence.

“Why would you want to date a ?” Taemin backfired the insult that So-Hee had used on him before.

So-Hee opened , but closed it again and looked down at her feet. “T-That… I didn’t mean it!” She motioned with her hands. “I’m sure you and that chef are just friends right?” She asked nervously.

Another long silence.

“Taemin…?” So-Hee began to feel more nervous at the other’s hesitation to answer.

“We’re not just friends.”

Taemin was sure of his feelings now.

He loved Minho.

“We both love each other.”

He wasn’t going to hide anymore.

“Yes, I’m a , a queer, whatever you want to call me.”

So-Hee took a step back in shock and bitter disgust.

“You can hate me all you want. But I’ll still love him.”

Another long silence as the both of them stared at each other.

“But why Taemin…” So-Hee asked, feeling anger boiling again. “He’s a guy…I-I’m a girl. I’m much prettier and smarter and-“

“To me…” Taemin interrupts. “Minho is the most handsome person in the world…He’s smarter than any teacher and he loves me more than anyone else can.” Taemin couldn’t help but feel a bubbly warm feeling while saying all of this.

“I can love you more!” So-Hee protested, voice sounding pathetic and desperate.

Taemin smiled at this and shook his head. “I only need Minho…”

So-Hee’s lower lip quivered but she hung her head in defeat.

“We can still be friends.”

She looked up in sheer surprise. “R-Really?”

Taemin smiles and nodded. A small grin spreads across So-Hee’s face, “I’d love that.” Taemin holds his hand out to the girl, and she takes it. They both shake hands and admit truce.

 

“Minho-ah?” Taemin pokes his head through the front door.

“In the kitchen.”

Taemin smiles and walks into the kitchen, seeing Minho making something again. “What are you making?”

“Rolled sandwiches.” Minho answers, pressing hard on the dough. “You didn’t have lunch yet, right?”

Taemin nods, his eyes wandering to something else on the counter. It looked like toffee candy, and Taemin decided to help himself to one. Minho glanced up from his work and smiled. “It’s Salt Caramel. Just something I had as a snack, feel free to take one.”

Taemin decides to unwrap one and pop it in his mouth. “Mm…It’s salty…But also has some sweetness to it.”

Minho stops rolling and looks up in happy-surprise. “Taemin… You’re sense of taste has returned!”

 



 

YAY IT CAME BACK

Btw, next chapter is gonna be the last one, and it’s gonna be quite short I’m afraid.

Please look forward to it, and until then, PEACE!