Chapter Eighteen - Looking Back

Remember Me

 

You didn’t look back at Doojoon, despite him calling your name repeatedly. If anything, his calls made you walk faster, wanting to put as much distance between yourself and your half-brother, Kikwang. You impatiently jab the elevator button, slightly wary that the two of them may be charging down the hall after you, but the sound of footsteps was nonexistent, only the sound of your shaky breaths filled the tiny hall.

You were actually quite shocked to find your half-brother inside the ramen restaurant. You hadn’t seen him or your parents for more than a year – or possibly more, you couldn’t quite remember – and it was rare that they would be in South Korea at all. There was something about him that always made you feel on edge, but you felt that you did a good job in hiding your uneasiness, at least in front of Doojoon.

The elevator doors opened after what seemed like an eternity and you quickly went inside and pressed your floor number and then the “close doors” button, still rather anxious. As you waited for the elevators to reach your floor, you managed to calm down with each tiny “ding” of the elevator. The rest of the way to your apartment went by in a blur, as you were still thinking hard about Kikwang. As you kicked off your shoes and went into your room, you felt a sharp pang in your head as you tried to think about why you always felt so uncomfortable around him.

You involuntarily let out a gasp of pain and your hands flew to your temples, as you tried to massage it. This wasn’t exactly the first time you had felt that pain, but it had definitely been a while since you’ve felt it. It only ever seemed to happen whenever you talked to Kikwang or your Father. Your Mother, on the other hand, was someone you could only imagine, as she had died when you were very young, or so you were told. There were only bits and pieces of your childhood that you could piece together, something you found highly unusual about yourself. You never actually had any recollection of Kikwang in your memories, and the only things you remembered about your Father was that he spoiled you a lot, but there was something a little off about his relationship with you.

Although now, he still treated you the same, spoiling you, buying everything for you, and even paying for your studies, he never seemed to be quite all there. It was as if buying you things was his way of filling a void, but you could never figure out what it was. You kept it to yourself that you were excited and relieved to find out that you would be studying away from your family, halfway across the world. In some ways, this led to an estranged relationship with your Father, and so the mere mention of him now seemed to put you on edge.

As for memories of your Mother, there was only ever one thing you could remember, and it was a very vague memory. You couldn’t even be sure that it was a memory of your Mother, because it always came in the form of a dream, a dream you seemed to always remember when you wake up the following morning.

In the dream there was a woman in a floral dress, curved up into a smile but her eyes were sad. It was just the two of you on a deserted road. You weren’t sure how old you were, but you seemed to be conversing with her, and she mostly did a lot of nodding and a few smiles, but she never uttered a word. Then you always asked her, “Who are you?” and just as she would open to respond, a flash of light appeared behind her, and a terrible scream echoed in your ears, until you realized that it was coming from you. You would always wake up shivering, with tears streaming from your eyes. As well, a sharp headache would suddenly come into play, and you wouldn’t be able to move for a while, until you slowly calmed down.

You looked out the window and saw that it was still bright, despite it nearing six o’clock. Your feet started moving on their own, as you made your way to your little corner by the window, and you sat down while hugging your knees to your chest, and then you began to sob quietly.


 

Junhyung turned off the ignition and took out his phone, quickly dialling a familiar number. The phone rang about three times before someone picked up.

“Hello?”

“Hyung?”

“Oh, Junhyung, what’s up?” Just as Doojoon asked the question, the doors of the apartment opened and out walked Kikwang, with his sunglasses on. Slightly alarmed, Junhyung quickly ducked behind the dashboard, trying to hide himself from view. He then subconsciously started to whisper into his phone, afraid that Kikwang may hear or see him.

“Listen, um, did you meet anyone lately?” He heard Doojoon scoff.

“I meet a lot of people, and why are you whispering? Is everything alright?” Doojoon asked rather jokingly. A small part of Junhyung was slightly happy that Doojoon was being his usual self with him, especially after his drunk dance with Gi at the club. This was the first time the two had spoken since the night, which was highly unusual for the pair of them.

“Seriously hyung, did you meet a…um, any men?” Junhyung knew that he had awkwardly phrased the sentence, but instead of ridiculing him like Doojoon normally would for his choice of words, he uneasily cleared his throat.

“Actually, yeah…” He said, almost seriously. Junhyung’s heart sank and his lips. Doojoon was his best friend and always was, ever since the day Gi had left. Junhyung had initially hesitated in going to Doojoon’s apartment because he was rather afraid of facing him after that night. But then he remembered Kikwang’s smug face and then he suddenly felt obligated to warn Doojoon of the dangers. However, this meant that he would have to tell Doojoon the whole story, from end to finish.

“Junhyung, you still there?”

“Oh uh, yeah hyung, do you mind telling me who you met exactly? What was his name?” Junhyung asked, hoping that he wouldn’t utter the name he was dreading.

“Um, yeah sure, he said his name was Kikwang, Lee Kikwang. Do you know him?” Junhyung felt a hollow sensation at the pit of his stomach and he gulped. Still speaking in a whisper, he adjusted his phone, and tried to keep low, still hiding behind the dashboard.

“Yes, hyung, and there’s actually something I need to tell you. It’s something I should’ve told you a long time ago.” Junhyung said in a low voice.

“Okay, are you sure you’re alright Junhyung? You want me to come to your place?”

“No, it’s okay hyung, I’m already at your apartment. I’ll be coming up in a sec.” Without so much as a goodbye, he hung up on the phone before Doojoon could protest. Junhyung carefully pocketed his phone and slowly peeked over the dashboard and found nobody there. Kikwang seemed to be long gone and only a little family walked into the apartment.

He quickly removed the keys from the ignition and got out of his car, hastily locking it and then jogging up to the entrance of the apartment, still looking alert. He entered, hastily following the family and giving them a curt bow of thanks as they held the door open for him. The elevators were already open and he stepped inside, impatiently pressing the number for Doojoon’s floor. Things seemed to move at a rather slow pace, at least for Junhyung. He needed to tell Doojoon about his past and he needed to do it quick, before the same thing that happened all those years ago happened again, but this time, on a much larger scale and with more at stake.

Author's Note: Hey guys! This is sort a short update, and it's a borderline filler chapter, but it's meant to lead up to the next few events which you will find out soon enough. I apologize that it drags on a bit, but I hope you still see where it's going...somewhat (: Thanks so much for reading, I won't be able to update this week because this is literally the final week I can hand things in before exams, so I'll be very antisocial for a week. In any case, see you at the next chapter! (: