61

Miss. Trouble

 


Leerang phased back and forth outside the café, the only thing on her mind was Lay's words and the fact that he already knew about Kris. He'd even known for years. But how? The girl doubted his father would've said anything, especially since he had so much to lose from it. And it was definitely not Kris either, which meant he must've found it out all on his own. Not that any of it mattered now, because they had to make sure none of the information surfaced for the public eye to see, something that could get catastrophic consequences. So many people would be affected.

Kris was taken aback when noticing the younger girl, as he'd expected her to be heading to school. In haste did he unlock and push the door open, thus startling Leerang who glanced up, "I really need to talk to you." she didn't even wait for his reaction before entering, that's how crucial it were. "It's about Lay." she spun around to face the older male, who frowned, "you've talked with him?" Kris ran a hand through his hair, frustrated, when she gave him a quick nod, "I had to." it would be a lie if he said he didn't mind, as the possibility and thought of the past repeating itself scared the living daylight out of him, even more since he knew Leerang used to harbor feelings for Lay.

"Why? He's never listened to anyone before so why would he suddenly start now?" Kris couldn't help but to feel a bit irritated at her recklessness. She should know better than to meet up with him all by herself. "Maybe so. But he knows more than you think." Leerang saw a flicker of uncertainty in Kris' eyes, like he was uneasy with whatever thought running through his head, and she moved about to stand directly in front of him. "He knew you were his half-brother. He's known for several years already." the next action was so unpredicted, because Kris retreated back, his lips pressed together and eyes filled with doubt. It pained her to see him like that, "don't do that. Don't push me away." didn't he understand it hurt every time he did as such? Seeing him so vulnerable again caused indescribable things to happen within, and Leerang wanted to cry when the male disappeared back into the apartment he shared with his mother. Was it so hard to talk about the past? Wasn't it of importance to him?

Leerang were rooted to the spot for minutes, unable to move anywhere, as the matter was one they needed to settle as soon as possible. Didn't he not understand this was a problem he couldn't simply run from? "Leerang," it was Kris' mother, and she looked awfully distressed in her formal attire, "aren't you supposed to be in school?" instantly did she come up with a lie, "the teachers had some meeting in the morning so we're only just starting after lunch." to say that school was cancelled wouldn't have worked since she was wearing her uniform. "Oh, okay." the woman gave her a small smile whilst hurrying over to the door, which she made sure was locked, "would it be too much to ask for a favor?" Leerang shook her head, she would do about anything for Kris and his mother. "Maybe you could talk to Kris? I have to be somewhere right now and he's locked himself in his bedroom and refuses to open." never would she have guessed he'd behave like a child, and it made her question whether the situation was so bad he had to shield himself from the rest of the world. "Of course." Kris' mother left not long after that, thus leaving Leerang alone with Kris. For some reason though, would the said café be closed until the woman returned.

Heading up the stairs she proceeded to knock on the door to Kris' bedroom, "please. I hate seeing you like this." his life had been far from easy, something she'd realized throughout the past months. But to ignore the problems were never the solution to anything and the girl was a living proof of that. "Kris, I love you and… -." the door flew open and within a few seconds were she pulled inside his room. Leerang's heart ached and she reached out to caress his cheek with the palm of her hand when noticing that he'd cried, "this isn't about Lay, is it?" there were still a lot of things they needed to learn about each other, and she was far from certain when it came to some stuff.

"You had feelings for him, so you can't really blame me for being concerned." she hadn't thought of that, how he might've felt about her meeting up with Lay. But then again, Kris didn't exactly come off as someone who doubted himself when it came to girls, as he always displayed such a relaxed and cool image. "I love you. Not Lay or anyone else. Only you." Leerang's cheeks flushed and she was even a bit taken aback by the straightforwardness of her own words, something that were a pretty rare sight. Kris didn't mind though, since he found the reaction of her blinking eyes and pink cheeks cute. "Good," in a gentle manner did he pull her closer, only to plant a feather light kiss on her forehead, "because I don't ever want you to leave." Leerang's heart raced, the blush deepened, and she buried her face into his chest, embarrassed but incredibly happy. Every single word and action from his side had her body and mind reacting in ways she'd never before experienced. And it was unbelievable how much another being could affect her so much.

A loud bang sounded and Leerang froze in her position, scared yet curious to what'd happened. It took a few second before the bang returned and Kris' eyebrows furrowed in annoyance. The café was closed and he weren't expecting anyone as all his friends were either in school or at work. "Wait." he pulled back and glanced down on her, “stay here, don’t move anywhere unless I say it’s okay. Understood?” absentmindedly she nodded, having no idea why he were getting so worked up over such a small ordeal. The city was enormous and loud noises were far from a foreign matter.

The wait was nerve wracking as Leerang didn’t know what to expect, and she walked over to the door, which she creaked open to glance out. The hallway was empty and there were no sign of Kris. His words were still fresh in mind when she headed for the stairs a couple of meters from the said bedroom. Leerang knew she was disobeying what he’d said, but she couldn’t help it. She, too, want answers to what’d taken place. But what if he grew irritated with her? The thought crossed her mind a couple of times whilst she, with careful steps, made her way down to the first floor. “Kris?” there was no reply and Leerang felt a shiver shot up her spine. For the older male to have left seemed rather weird, considering how his mother wasn't around to take care of the café. Once more did she call his name, only to be met with the same complete silence. Had something happened? If so, where was Kris? Several grotesque images flashed inside her head and Leerang’s pulse reached unhealthy limits at the mere thought of the older male being hurt. No, it would be too absurd, because no one gets attacked twice in barely two weeks.

A loud, nearby scream tore the girl from every other thought. Had it been Kris? Adrenaline shot throughout and she rushed out of the café and down the hallway, past the living room and the staircase, and to where she believed the sound came from. Leerang reached down into the pocket of the blazer and grasped her cell phone, ready to dial the police or ambulance. Hopefully would none of them be needed though.

“Kris?” terror engulfed Leerang when the front door slammed open, and she felt her heart squeeze together when Kris, along with a bleeding Lay, staggered inside. Eyes wide she wondered what’d happened. Had they been fighting? No, Kris wouldn’t have brought the other male inside his own home, especially since they weren’t the bestest of friends. “Kris?” the said male glanced up, surprised to see Leerang standing there, “didn’t I tell you to stay in my room.” she gulped. Was he angry with her? “I heard a scream and I -.” the girl shifted her attention over to Lay after he’d interrupted her sentence with a groan, “shouldn’t we take him to the hospital?” both males said no, thus causing Leerang to frown, “but he’s bleeding and -.” once again was she cut off, but this time by Kris, “we can’t go there, it’s no good.” totally dumbfounded she asked, “why? He needs help.” what in the world had actually taken place? And why couldn’t they simply head for the hospital? Lay obviously required professional care.

“Because there’s already more than enough problems.” Kris shot his half-brother a hasty glance, to which Lay responded by sending Leerang an apologizing look. The latter had not expected it to turn out in the way it had, and he was even terrified over what he possibly could’ve caused.