15

Miss. Trouble
Seoyoung glared at her from across the room as the principal held his speech. It was the last day before summer break and Leerang was relieved that she wouldn’t have to see the other girl for one and a half month. “Is anyone sitting here?” a female voice called and the girl turned her head to the side, “s -sorry?” she was baffled that someone was talking to her at school. “Is it okay if I sit here?” she nodded, surprised. “I’m Jungah.” the unfamiliar girl introduced herself with a bright smile, one Leerang had trouble returning, “Leerang.” she couldn’t help but to glance at the other girl, wondering whether this was some stupid joke Seoyoung decided to pull.

“Are these gatherings always so boring?” Leerang blinked, slightly taken aback by the choice of words. Jungah noticed the other girl’s expression and explained herself, “sorry, I’ve sort of forgotten my manners.” she joked with a laugh, the manners in Korea was totally different from the ones Jungah was used to when living in the US. “Forgot your manners?” Leerang didn’t understand though, how could one forget your manners?

“I used to live in the US until a month ago.” the girl listened as Jungah continued, the fact that the principal was still going strong with his own speech didn’t seem to bother the other girl at all. “Right, do you know any fun hangouts around here?” the whole conversation came to a halt and the joy she’d felt was instantly replaced by panic, hangouts weren’t exactly her area. “Please, don’t say COEX mall or some snobby night club. Such things doesn’t really interest me.” Jungah added on with a small smile. Fine, shopping and partying could be fun once in awhile, but not every other day.

Gathering up enough courage Leerang parted her lips and spoke, “Mm, what about Seoul Art Center?” this was truly it, the doom was approaching and she regretted saying anything when the other girl looked at her. The reply though, was totally unexpected, “oh, do you like art, too?” Leerang could barely believe her own ears, someone at her school, besides herself, liked art as well, “yeah.” Jungah’s curiosity got the better of her and she couldn’t contain her excitement, “I didn’t think anyone at this school liked other things besides fast cars, luxury brands and night clubs. Well, anyhow, I’m glad I found you” to hear such words were practically foreign to Leerang, especially since she’d been ignored for nearly two and a half years.

“LEE JUNGAH, DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE WITH THE REST OF US?” the principal interrupted all of a sudden. However, whilst she herself panicked all over again Jungah replied in a cool, steady voice, “YEAH, THIS IS GETTING BORING.” students around them gasped and Leerang shrunk down in her seat, not wanting to be the center of all attention. “JUNGAH SSHI I’M GOING TO REPORT THIS TO YOUR PARENTS.” the said girl leaned back in her seat, totally unfazed by the threat. Her parents didn’t give a damn about what she did at school, as long as she graduated then they were more than relieved. “DO THAT.” it would be safe to say that Leerang had never encountered such a person before. Such courage was something the girl lacked.

Jungah cracked a smile just as the principal cleared his throat, he’d just been humiliated by a student in front of the whole school. “What are you doing?” Leerang straightened up, as if everything was completely normal. “N -nothing.” she turned her head away from Jungah, a bad move from her part as she instead met eyes with Seoyoung. The girl halfway across the room gave Leerang a firm glare, one that she flinched at. Being around Chanyeol was risky, but she’d rather take a blow or two from Seoyoung over being by Kai and Sehun. “Are you okay?” the girl nodded despite knowing that everything was far from alright.

A couple of minutes later did the principal finish off and everyone were dismissed. Students rushed out through the doors as school was finally over and summer break had begun. Leerang though, wondered how much of a break she would get, especially as there was so many things going on in her life. A trip somewhere wouldn’t be too bad. But there was one small problem, and that was her mother. The older woman needed to approve of it before Leerang could travel anywhere. Knowing her mother she would have to spend the whole vacation at home whilst everyone else enjoyed a nice break at the ocean. “Leerang, have a nice vacation. Oh, and I hope I didn’t embarrass you too much in there.” Jungah’s words brought the girl out of her thoughts, “y -yeah, you too.” she’d hoped that they could’ve hung out together or something, but Leerang guessed that the other girl had more important things to occupy herself with. “See you.” a sigh slipped from her lips and disappointment washed through as she stared after Jungah walk away.

“Looks like your little friend left.” Seoyoung, the last person she wanted to meet stood before her. “W -what do you want?” adrenaline began to pump through her veins as she gulped down, the girl was ready to run if so needed. “Oh I think you know.” Leerang knew more than well that it was about Chanyeol, because what else could it possibly be? “Why are you still bothering Chanyeol, huh? Didn’t I tell you to stay away from him you filthy beggar.” her heart throbbed upon hearing Seoyoung’s two last words. A filthy beggar, was that how everyone saw her as?

“Yah, are you listening?” the disappointment she’d felt was in second overshadowed by immense pain, as Seoyoung fisted her hand into Leerang’s hair, “ing , I bet you’re blackmailing him, because why else would anyone want to be around you.” tears brimmed the girl’s eyes and she winced when Seoyoung pulled even harder at her hair. “Let me go.” the fear she felt for the other girl was nothing in comparison to the one Leerang had for skinship and being touched. To get Seoyoung’s hand off was the only thing that mattered, and that even if it meant that she would have to hurt her classmate. Laughter met her ears, “no way, I’m not done with you.” it was slowly becoming too much for Leerang, her heart was already hammering inside her chest and Seoyoung was definitely not making it any better. The girl would have to do something drastic, it was obviously the only way. But what she had in mind though, was going to make the other girl hate Leerang even more. However, she couldn’t care less. Not that moment, not when she was suffering.

A loud scream echoed over the schoolyard after that she’d kicked Seoyoung in the leg, the girl doubled over in pain whilst cussing aloud. It was a new side of Leerang that’d showed itself, one that would get her into even more trouble once she returned to school again. There was no way her classmate would leave her be after that. “Don’t think it’s over you filthy .” the tears rolled down as soon as she got past the school gates and out on the street. Whatever she did it was wrong. The girl was suddenly more bullied than ever, and that because of Chanyeol, someone who’d entered her life as the first person to not look down on her. He hadn’t even cared that she spent a lot of time in the north. He’d become Leerang’s first and only friend. But now, Seoyoung was making it difficult for her. With blurry eyesight she bumped into people left and right, “I’m sorry.” the sentence was voiced out several times as she ran.

One the same street, not too far from Leerang was a boy casually making his way forward, “I’ll see you soon then sweety, bye.” such sweet talk would always work, Lay knew, because the girls fell for it each and every time. Summer break had begun for him, too, and the boy was going to make good use of the one and a half month vacation. He didn’t exactly have it all planned out though, but booze, getting laid and partying was definitely first priority.

Their paths crossed when Leerang bumped into him, but the girl was so distracted by her own tears and misery to notice who it was, “I -I’m sorry.” Lay stared down on her all the whilst she repeated the sentence again. An inaudible sigh slipped from his lips before he spoke, “why are you crying?” Leerang sniffled, she hadn’t expected for anyone to care, nonetheless him, “because.” to explain was nonexistent, as he couldn’t possibly understand what she was going through. The older boy was popular, something Leerang wasn’t. “Because?” unconsciously did she look up and meet his gaze, only to a second later divert it, “n -nothing.” Lay didn’t really care, not really. In fact, he disliked girls’ who cried. They were too loud and nothing but nuisance. However, such an ordeal could he live with if he managed to get to Kris. Anything to piss the other guy off was worth it.

“Pretty girl’s shouldn’t cry.” the sweet talk found its way back and the boy extended his hand, an action Leerang compensated by taking a step back. Lay’s eyebrows drew together in confusion, no girl had ever rejected him, “I won’t hurt you.” the girl was still hesitant, as skin contact was a bothersome matter. Trust was vital for her, and that even though he was the boy Leerang liked. Not even her fluttering heart could do anything about it.

Clearing his throat Lay glanced ahead, the situation was perfect, “wipe your tears and I’ll treat you to patbingsu.” the girl he was supposed to meet would have to wait, because Leerang was much more important.