29

Miss. Trouble

 

She’d made an appointment to meet up with Jungah as she needed to get away from home, especially after everything that’d taken place the previous day. Her mother had truly gone too far. She’d literally complained about every little thing, from the water not being cold enough to the table being set too low. Flaws, the woman saw them everywhere and if she didn't know better the girl would've thought her mother did it all on purpose. It was embarrassing and Leerang felt bad for Kris. The older woman wasn’t exactly someone who was easy to please, something he must’ve noticed.

“It’s nice to see you again, but what happened to your cheek?” Jungah questioned all the whilst she slung an arm around Leerang’s neck. The girl tensed at the contact but her problem with skinship had eased considerably within a few couple of weeks. “I walked into a cupboard.” she couldn’t possibly reveal the truth, that it was her father who’d caused the small wound. “Ouch, I bet it must’ve hurt.” Jungah made a face, one that changed into a bright smile within a second, “oh right, I almost forgot. You know that handsome guy from the art exhibition?” definitely, how could she not remember the day she, once again, humiliated herself in front of Kris, “mm, of course.” it would’ve been weird if she wouldn’t remember. “I know where he works.” Jungah blurted out in an enthusiastic tone. But Leerang didn’t get it, she didn’t really understand why it was important.

“I never got to talk to him at the art exhibition so I thought why not pay him a visit. Who knows, he might remembered me.” the other girl spoke with such eagerness that it made Leerang somewhat uneasy, “okay.” to be honest, she didn’t know what else to say as it’d never really crossed her mind that Jungah was so interested in Kris. But if she was, then it was great. The older male did probably need someone by his side again, especially since he seemed to have suffered quite a lot after the breakup with Sun Yoo. “Come on, let’s go before it gets too late.” Leerang was pulled along. The thought of meeting Kris made the girl slightly anxious as there was a possibility of him totally ignoring Jungah. It wouldn’t exactly surprise her if he did.

The two of them were seated on the bus when Jungah all of a sudden asked, “do you think he remembers me?” Leerang smiled, but a small part of her was worried. There was no certainty he would, not when he, on a daily basis, was surrounded by a hoard of girls, “definitely.” she felt bad for lying to the other girl, but what else was she supposed to say? It wasn’t like Leerang could reveal how she’d visited the bakery several times before and that she already, sort of, knew Kris. “Do I look okay?” Jungah continued with the questions, slightly uncertain and anxious that her appearance wasn’t enough to please the male. “Yeah, I bet he’ll fall in love right away.”

Kris’ mother was the one who greeted the two as they entered the small, but cosy café, “Leerang, it’s nice to see you again. Are you alright?” there was a brief moment of panic and she gave Jungah a sideway glance, only to notice that the other girl looked somewhat confused. “Ah, yeah.” the older woman gave her a warm smile, almost as if she was relieved, “that’s good.” Leerang was literally begging upon every higher power that Kris’ mother wouldn’t mention him, especially now, when Jungah believed they were total strangers. “Well,” the woman clasped her hands together, “do you want to order anything?” Leerang had forgotten all about that and turned to look at the other girl, who stared straight back at her, “I’ll pay so just take whatever you want.” not the smartest thing to say to Leerang, she could literally eat until her stomach exploded.

“What was that all about?” Jungah asked the second they’d taken a seat at a table. “Huh?” she avoided the other girl’s gaze, afraid it would be the start of something she wouldn’t be able to explain. “You know, ‘are you alright?’ I had no idea you knew each other.” trying to play it cool Leerang answered, “she helped me once when I hurt myself so I guess she wanted to know whether it was okay.” she’d managed to say it all without stuttering or messing up. Her worries however, disappeared altogether when hearing Jungah’s laughter, “you’re really clumsy, you know that right.” Leerang knew, more than well actually.

An hour passed by without as much as a sign of Kris and she could see how Jungah was starting to get a bit bothered. “Jihan must’ve been wrong. It doesn’t seem like he’s working here.” Leerang stuffed full with the chocolate fudge cake she’d ordered. “He probably fooled me, it would be so Jihan.” unfortunately though, did Kris work there. An ordeal she couldn’t bring herself to reveal for some weird reason, “maybe.” a sigh emitted from the depths of Jungah’s lungs the moment she came to understand that the older male must’ve tricked her, “ugh, how could I’ve believed him.”  

They were just about to leave when the bell above the door rang, indicating a new customer. Or in this case, Kris. The fact that he came changed everything, “sit down, act normal.” she was literally shoved back into her seat. “What should I do, what should I do.” a nervous Jungah ranted all the whilst Leerang took a quick glance on the male, her head tilted to the side upon noticing that his shirt was torn. What had he involved himself with?

A small sense of worry grew, one that wouldn’t go away, “I’ll be right back.” she headed off towards the restroom, thus leaving the other girl by herself. Leerang knew she couldn’t follow him inside the house. Therefore did she hide in the hallway which lead to the said restroom. It would be too complicated now, to explain everything for Jungah. The other girl would probably wonder why she hadn’t said anything before, a question Leerang didn’t have an answer to as she, herself, had no idea. Now, all she needed was for Kris to work with her.

Yeah right. She got to experience how such a thing wasn’t the easiest, “you want me to act like I’ve never seen you before, with the exception of the exhibition?” Kris had no intention of doing what the younger girl said, especially since he got nothing to win on it, “forget it.” the male his heel just before he felt her hand grasp onto his, “my f -friend likes you.” he froze, and so did she when Kris, after a second or two, moved about to face her, “what?” the older male glared at Leerang, not the slightest pleased. “I already have a girlfriend.” that wasn’t true, yet, she found herself to go with the flow, “but she doesn’t know that.”  

Jungah was sulking when she returned back to their table, “what took you so long?” Leerang felt bad for lying. But it would be for the best if the relation between Kris and her was kept a secret, “there was some problem with the lock so I couldn’t get the door open.” a moment of complete silence followed, one Jungah decided to end with a question, “have you ever had a boyfriend?” the girl blushed, her cheeks became pink in embarrassment, “n -no.” on the contrary though, did Leerang hope it would change the more time she spent with Lay. “Really, so you haven’t received your first kiss then?” memories of what’d taken place at Lay’s house came to mind and her heart flutter upon remembering how they’d almost kissed. However, a soon-to-be eighteen year old who were yet to experience her first kiss wasn’t exactly anything out of the ordinary, something the girl knew, “no.”

What none of the two girls knew was that Kris had overheard the whole conversation. It would be a lie though, if he said he wasn’t surprised as he’d expected for Lay to have made his first move already. “What is truly going on?” Kris voiced out all the whilst he glanced towards the younger girl. The question was one he wanted Lay to answer, as it seemed rather impossible for the other male to have genuine feeling for Leerang. Girls were just toys for Lay, something Sun Yoo was an example of.

Kris’ lips drew into a thin line the more he thought about it, how the girl would be used and then thrown away like yesterday’s trash. “Are you so blinded by his words that you can’t see his intentions?”