11

Miss. Trouble

 


She glanced down on her cell phone, the small device informed Leerang that she had five missed calls, all of them from her mother. She knew she was being childish, but the old woman had to understand that such a decision was bound to spark emotions. To become an older sister wasn’t anything she’d ever thought about, and for her mother to give birth to another child was something Leerang had mixed feelings over. The girl was nowhere near an attention seeker, but this was definitely going to strain their relationship even further. With an uneasy mind she let the phone slid back into her pocket, and that before she squeezed the sketchpad closer to her chest. The drawing of Kris was one she’d already finished after have spent half the night and school day working on it.

The school bell had already rung a couple of minutes earlier and she was slowly making her way towards the bus stop, “maybe I’m being unfair.” Leerang murmured with a heavy sigh. If her mother wanted another kid then who was she to deny that. “Where is Leerang?” her eyes widened and she tensed upon hearing Seoyoung’s voice. It wasn’t too hard to understand what the other girl wanted. “Why didn’t I just push Chanyeol away?” Seoyoung would be ruthless if she were to catch her, and that was something Leerang knew. “LEERANG?” the girl shivered, as she picked up her phase. To escape from there was the only thing on her mind, especially since Seoyoung wouldn’t hesitate to bring trouble for Leerang. Oh god, why had she been so stupid in the first place?

She’d practically run to the said bus stop, and thus also managed to get away. However, it was only a matter of time before Seoyoung got a hold of her, as it would be impossible for Leerang to escape every single day. There was more than half a year left until she graduated, which was unfortunate. Really, the girl couldn’t wait to enter the university. Speaking of which, Leerang needed to fill in the application forms of the schools she could find herself attend. K-ARTS was, however, the girl’s first choice.

Her cell phone rang again as she sat there. It was, just like all the other times, her mother. Instead of ignoring it though, did Leerang take the call, “hello.” it must’ve arrived as a surprise for the old woman, that her daughter finally picked up. “Leerang honey, can’t you come home?” an enormous bang of guilt filled the girl’s heart, she felt bad for behaving so childishly.

But it was not only guilt that was evident within her heart, pain was, too, “mom, did you ever consider my feelings, what I thought and felt?” there was complete silence for a couple of seconds, “please come home so we can talk about it.” her mother sounded different, almost as if she was actually sorry. “Okay.” Leerang missed her a lot, which wasn’t so weird since the woman was her mother, “good, I’ll see you later then.” with that did the call end and she decided to step off at the next stop.  

The girl needed to take another bus if she wanted to get home to her mother’s. An unfortunate thing though, was that the next stop were exactly the one Leerang dreaded the most, Korean National University. She had no other option however, but to step off there, as the required bus she had to take also came to a stop there. Leerang could’ve, if she so wanted, remained seated on the bus until she reached another stop where the girl could transfer, but that would take another fifteen minutes in the wrong direction. Plus, the chance of running into Chanyeol was small, but still not impossible. “I need to stay away from him and the others. No, I must.” the whole talking to herself thing was becoming quite ridiculous.

Much to Leerang’s dismay and luck, did she crash right into someone when stepping off, thus causing the sketchpad to fly from her grasp. The middle-aged man snapped at her, “look where you’re going next time.” she bowed, apologetic over the incident, “I’m sorry.” the girl forgot about the sketchpad for a second, as the male in front gave her a hard stare, “teenagers these days.” Leerang apologized once again, “I’m really sorry.” unfortunately did the older male look indifferent when he walked away, “am I really such a bother?” a heavy sigh left her lips, as she stared after the man.

The moment however, was interrupted by an all too familiar voice, “Leerang ah, why didn’t you make my portrait this good?” huh, she blinked whilst turning around, her eyes widened when she spotted Chanyeol with her sketchpad. “Don’t touch that.” in haste did the girl move over, and that before she reached out to grasp the object. An ordeal easier said than done though, as the boy raised his hand and made it impossible for Leerang to reach, “give it back to me.” he was being unfair, pulling the height card like that. “Why, do you suddenly like Kris now?” the name got Lay’s attention immediately. Kris was someone he knew very well. They weren’t enemies for nothing.

Leerang’s cheeks flushed in embarrassment, “n -no.” who would like such a person? He was straight through rude and hostile. Not boyfriend material. Chanyeol continued with a pout, “you’re so lying. Why else would you draw him even more handsomely.” the statement stunned her and she found herself blink up at him, “what?” Leerang was baffled, she couldn’t understand why he was comparing himself with the other male.

“How could you do this to me?” the boy added on in a dramatic manner, one that even Lay found slightly amusing. The mood however, changed dramatically when Leerang’s shoulders deflated and her head hung in shame, “I’m sorry, I didn’t know it mattered that much.” Lay raised an eyebrow at the scene before him. For someone to be so gullible and innocent seemed almost impossible. Chanyeol’s eyes had widened in shock and he let out an awkward laugh, “no, no, no, I was just playing around. Hehe, I didn’t know you would take it so literally.” oh god, she was being such a pushover, “oh.”

It wasn’t until then, after she’d received her sketchpad back that she noticed the other boy. His intense gaze met hers for a split second, something that was enough for Leerang’s cheeks to flush an even deeper shade of red. “I -I have to go.” she stuttered, as she clutched harder onto the pad. The fact that the girl refused to meet neither of their gazes were an ordeal which Lay smirked at. Maybe he’d ignored her too fast. “Awh, I was looking forward to another playdate.” Chanyeol groaned aloud with a pout. He was good at acting, Leerang had to give him some credit for that. “I can’t, n -n -not today.” unconsciously did her eyes land upon Lay again. It was almost as if she had to look at him. In fact, her gaze was practically spellbound by his beauty.

“Please -.” she shook her head to decline, and that as both Seoyoung and her mother entered the girl’s thoughts. She needed to get home before the older woman called and asked where she was. “Some othe -.” Leerang interrupted herself when she noticed the said bus approaching. “My bus, bye.” she gave the two boys one last glance before hurrying off to the place where the vehicle stopped at. “Yah! Wait for me.” what, no. He couldn’t come, too. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” Lay rolled his eyes, “yeah.” the smirk remained upon his lips as he watched his younger friend dart off in the same direction as the girl. Leerang though, didn’t find it equally amusing, “Chanyeol you can’t come.”

Yeah right, as if that’d worked.

He ended up following with all the way home to her mother’s, who greeted them at the door, “Chanyeol, I didn’t know you’d come.” the tone was strained, fake. Leerang could easily see the uneasiness written all over the woman’s face. “Well, I ran into this little one and she practically forced me to follow.” heh, that was about as far from the truth one could come. The statement would cause trouble, she saw it when her mother’s hard gaze met Leerang’s, “really, how nice.”