54

Miss. Trouble

 

Leerang felt slightly uneasy as she glanced at herself through the mirror in front. Her mother had hired a hairdresser and a make-up artist to fix the girl for the masquerade, which was taking place in just a few hours. The whole princess thing was so unfamiliar, a bit scaring actually. Everything had to be perfect, there couldn't be any flaws, something her mother was going to make sure of. Really, Leerang wished she could change place with Jungah, who was going as a cowboy. One didn't need several hours of preparations for that. “Ouch.” an intense pain had abruptly cut her thoughts short and she reached out to touch her hair. It stung bad. “Must you do that?” Leerang was referring to the straightener the hairdresser was holding in her hand. “I’m sorry. I’ll try and make it as quick as possible.” the woman was probably good at what she was doing, but there was a huge lack of gentleness. And it made her fear what the make-up artist had in mind.

Her mother returned a moment later, looking all frustrated. However, no words were spoken and Leerang gulped. Something had to be wrong. “Mom, what’s happening?” the girl questioned, and that even though she’d been strictly forbidden to talk about family matters in front of others. But she did no longer care. Not when this party was the absolute last one she was attending. Plus, from that day on would Leerang live in her father’s house, far away from the luxurious life she’d been living for so long. None of it would’ve happened though, if it wasn’t for her step-dad who was going to pay for all the expenses, an ordeal her mother disliked with a passion.

Everything would’ve been considerably easier if she had parents like Jungah, who’d even bought an apartment just for her. The place had taken her by surprise though, because there were barely any furnitures at all. A huge bed, an enormous couch, a kitchen table and then a tv was the only things. It’s easier to keep it clean, Jungah said just after they’d entered and she’d gotten her first glimpse of where her friend lived. But the lack of objects had made Leerang wonder. It was almost as if Jungah was expecting to move again.

“For god’s sake, can you listen to me.” her mother roared. She’d spaced out once more, and had therefore not noticed when the hairdresser left. “What is it this time?” hell broke lose instantly, “your stepfather is stuck in traffic and I still need to pick up your dress.” wow. It was probably the best news she’d heard all day. “Really?” even though Leerang felt happy she faked a tone that was supposed to sound sad. “Oh. I know what you’re thinking but I’m not going to let you miss this.” damn it. Why was it so important in the first place? Right. Because her mother had been the one to direct and fix everything. “You know what. I’m going to send one of the maids to pick it up.” the woman left, thus leaving Leerang all by herself. The girl was amazed, she had no idea how someone who was expecting a child any day now could be so filled with energy.

The minutes she was alone weren’t many and Leerang heaved a deep sigh when the hairdresser returned, holding onto several objects the girl had never seen before. “I’m going to fix some volume in your hair before arranging it.” the procedure took close to an hour to complete, and her scalp was quite sore after the torture. But she couldn’t deny that it looked nice though. “Be careful with that now.” Leerang was given a small go-through of how she shouldn’t make any drastic or hasty movements, as that could cause the hair to fall out of place. “Okay.” the girl was not going to dance, not after the humiliation she went through after a party she’d attended a few years back. So her hair was quite safe in that matter.

The door was shoved open before any other words were exchanged, and her mother entered, “the dress is here now.” slightly troubled Leerang watched how the woman panted. It made her worried. “Mom, the baby.” to be so worked up and stressed was definitely not good for either the baby or her mother. “I know. But this has to be perfect.” still. Being healthy was more important, especially in her state. “Mom can you relax. You’re going to make everyone worried if you continue like this.” her stepfather had been far from delighted, as he’d told her mother several times to take it easy. But the woman never listened. “I can’t. Not today.” it was like talking to a child, someone who refused to do anything it was told. Their conversation died the second the make-up artist appeared, “is it okay if I start?” not being used to makeup the girl felt a bit bothered, even more when it was time to apply eyeliner and mascara. Her eyes began to tear as the liquid stung.

Leerang didn’t know how long it took to get the make-up in place, but what she did know was that her eyes were red and the clock had hit six pm. One hour was all there were left until the masquerade began. “Leerang can you come down to the living room.” doing as told the girl left her room and headed down the stairs, only to come face to face with Lay. He was already dressed in his attire. “You’re here.” she blushed, but took a step back when he commented on her cheek, which was almost healed, “what happened?” Leerang shook her head, “it’s nothing.” really. “It doesn’t look like nothing.” he extended his hand and was right about to grab onto hers when she took another step back. The action made him irritated but he didn’t say anything. “Leerang.” she excused herself, as she had to get dressed, before her mother snapped.

Lay waited in the hallway whilst the younger girl put the dress on. Never could he have foreseen the shock he experienced though, when Leerang came into view a while later. She looked beautiful and Lay did even feel his heart skip a beat as she advanced forward, towards where he stood. “Does it look okay?” he nodded without a second thought, “you’re beautiful.” to hear such compliments were rather foreign to the said girl and her cheeks flushed. “Should we go?” he’d nearly forgotten about the surprise that awaited at the masquerade. “Mm. I just need to get something first.” in a hurry did she head up the staircase since she wouldn’t leave without her cell phone. But in the midst of the search for the device did Leerang spot the hairpin she’d received from Kris. Its small crystals twinkled when she picked it up, “I guess it wouldn’t hurt if I wore this.” in a gentle manner did she put the small accessory in place. “There.” a smile graced her lips as she studied herself in the mirror, and for the first time did she actually feel pretty.

A pitch-black limousine drove them to the location. Many students were already there when they arrived and Leerang received quite the amount of glances as she and Lay entered. The girl felt a bit out of place though, because the majority of everyone was dressed up in silly things. Such as pirates, cowboys and animal costumes. The whole prince and princess thing seemed to be a bit overenthusiastic. “I’ll be right back.” slightly taken aback Leerang watched as the older male wandered off. But she was not left alone for long because Jungah appeared a moment later, all happy, “wow. You look incredible.” unfortunately did not everyone think so, and the girl could hear whispers all around. They weren’t just pointing out her dress though, but the fact that she showed up together with Lay. “Don’t mind them. They’re just jealous.” Jungah grasped onto her hand, “come. I want to show you something.”

“I found this right before you came.” the sight before them was breathtaking, with the gazebo and the countless amount of flowers surrounding it. “I wonder what your mother had in mind when decorating.” both girls were pretty certain but none of them said anything. “So. Has Lay made a move yet?” Jungah grinned. “No.” the girl was, truth to be told, kind of relieved that he hadn’t. Mainly because she didn’t know what kind of feelings she had for him. “Hmm.” a voice interrupted before Leerang was given the chance to ask further, “there you are, I was looking all over for you.” Lay stepped up and placed himself right in front of her. “Everyone is supposed to be inside.” in haste did she glance at Jungah, who shrugged her shoulders, the other girl had no idea there was such a rule. “Okay.” taking her hand Lay pulled her with to the huge ballroom, “why don’t we dance.” not wanting to make a fool out of herself again the girl rejected the offer, something he wouldn’t accept, “I’m really good.” he tried the guilt card, one he was sure would work, “please.” said and done, the younger girl gave in and they headed for the dance floor hand-in-hand.

It was hard at first, but just as he’d said, he was really good. Other thoughts occupied Lay’s mind though, and he was getting really frustrated at Seoyoung, who’d promised to be in on his little plan. But from what he’d seen she was nowhere in sight, and he he sparked a conversation with Leerang in the meantime, “are you having fun?” Lay smiled when she nodded, and he glanced up just in time to notice the girl he was waiting for enter, “good.” because you are not going to be in a second. He whirled around so that Leerang was facing the entrance and thus saw everyone who entered. Indeed. The smile she’d sported a moment ago vanished and her mood dropped as her eyes landed upon the pair that’d just stepped inside. Why was he with her?

Jungah had seen it, too, and it was safe to say she was pissed as hell.

“Can we stop. I need to get something to drink.” Leerang pulled away without even looking at Lay. But stupid as she was she glance in the direction of where Kris and Seoyoung stood, only to feel tears burn in her eyes. It hurt a lot. In fact, she was experiencing pain beyond anything she’d felt before. Lay on the other hand, smirked, he truly believed Kris was done for it now. His only regret was that he hadn’t come up with the plan earlier. Lay had just put blackmail on the list of things he’d done and Kris’ inner burned with nothing else but pure hate for the other male. “Oppa, let’s dance.” Kris frowned, he was not the slightest interested in dancing, “dance with someone else.” the comment was far from well-received and Seoyoung pulled at his arm, “you know what will happen if you don’t do what I say.” anger flashed within, but the consequences of his actions could be devastating, therefore did he do as told.

Leerang had walked off to Jungah, who stood by the glassdoor out to the garden, “I can’t believe he came here with her.” the lump in grew each passing second and she felt close to tears. But despite so did her eyes follow his every step and the way Seoyoung clung to him broke her heart. The ordeal at school, hadn’t he already rejected Seoyoung? Jungah pulled at her arm, “do you want to leave?” no. Not yet. Leerang wanted to see what happened. It was like her mind needed more torture because her legs wouldn’t move. They were frozen to the spot. “I’m going to get my things then we’ll leave.” there was no way in hell Jungah were going to let her friend suffer anymore. So she left to retrieve her jacket.

In the meantime did the girl watch as her classmate circled her arms around Kris’ neck, and that’s when he glanced up and met eyes with Leerang. His expression was hard, much like the one he’d sported when she’d just met him. A tear did unexpectedly run down her cheek, one she hurried to wipe away. Flustered and feeling pathetic the girl her heel and left for the garden outside. The gazebo up front were the perfect escape and she didn’t even consider if it would be alright or not to enter before she slipped inside. Candles, more colorful flowers and a wooden bench greeted her. “Great work mom.” it was beautiful. But probably meant as a place for couples to have some romantic time on their own. Not for her to cry her heart out.

“I’ve been a total fool.” she buried her face in the palm of her hands, it was a given he would fall for Seoyoung. Everyone did. “No you haven’t.” his sudden voice startled her and she glanced up through teary eyes to look at him. “You don’t understand it, do you?” what was he talking about? What was she supposed to understand? That he was with Seoyoung now? “Don’t you think it’s enough now.” Kris pressed his lips together after hearing the words. He had to agree though, it’d gone too far already. “You’re right.” Leerang straighten up and turned to Kris, thinking he would spill the truth about him and Seoyoung. About how they’d met and how it ended up the way it’d done.

Leerang tensed and her heart raced when he reached up and touched the hairpin, “I never thought you would use it.” Kris smiled, a rare sight, before he let his fingers trace her hairline, down to her cheeks and finally her chin, which he cupped ever so gently. She blinked up at him, ready to question him about his actions. “You know. Being ignorant aren’t always bliss.” confusion struck her like a train. But he didn’t care to explain further as he inched closer and closer, his lips brushed against hers before he captured them in a fully fledged kiss. Goosebumps prickled her skin instantly and it felt like her heart was going to give in any moment.

It may not have been her first kiss. But it was the first she didn’t know how she felt about. She’d been heartbroken upon seeing Kris with Seoyoung. But Lay then, where did he fit in all this mess?