Annoyance

황혼 | Hwanghon

The next day I’d hoped would be better. I had hoped that it would be a normal day. Something like my days back in America. I could not shake the fear that it’d be more of the same. Yongbok, Changbin, and Jimin fluttering around me like butterflies. Jungwon freaking out on me again. Thankfully that wasn’t the case. Jaeduck promised to let me drive for a bit to school since he wasn’t sure about the whole money for a taxi every day. So I got to drive my precious car to school that morning. 

Changbin and Yongbok kept up their stupid and mindless feud, fighting over who got to be around me. Although Jimin was always the one who got to be by my side. I liked spending time with her. If only she wasn’t so painfully straight… Jimin wasn’t bad once you cut through the gossiping side of her. The problem was that others noticed me getting comfortable. The teachers started bugging me more. I was called on for so many things and scolded if I didn’t understand things. Changbin and Yongbok tried to comfort me but only hearing Jimin say the same words they did made me feel better. Why does everything sound better when a cute girl says it?

Lunch eased my mood. Jungwon’s siblings were there but he wasn’t there. I wasn’t sure why that didn’t make me feel better. I thought I would feel better cause he wasn’t there. I was going to be spared from another freakout. So why did I not feel any better…

I remembered Eunji said Jaeduck’s schedule was unpredictable in one of her attempts to stop me from coming here. So after school, I grabbed the card Jaeduck told me about in the kitchen drawer by the fridge. He’d hopefully be okay with something pretty basic. I didn’t understand what I’d be able to get in the store just yet. I went to the nearest store picking up things to make kimbap and ramen. Something that Mom had made me make often enough. Something quick and simple. The kimbap should keep pretty well until Jaeduck got home from work. 

I made just enough ramen for myself. As the ramen boiled I made the kimbap for the both of us. Jaeduck could no doubt cook for himself but I wanted to do something to show how grateful I was. After all he didn’t have to let me stay here with him. I could have been refused, forced to stay in America listening to Eunji talk about how amazing it would be to travel with Alex.

“Aw hell…” I look down at the seaweed that is now in pieces in my hands. “God damn it. What is wrong with me… I always it up…”

After a few calming breaths I finish making the kimbap. I set Jaeduck’s share of the kimbap in the fridge. It should be kept until he gets home. By the time I did my homework and cleaned up after myself, Jaeduck got home. I presented him with the kimbap and started making another pack of ramen. He told me about his day, only pausing long enough for me to present him with his bowl of fresh ramen.

“So… are things going okay with school? Do you have any friends? I never got the chance to ask you yesterday if it was alright.“

“Yeah. Jimin is pretty cool. Changbin is… friendly? Yongbok too.”

“Changbin… changbin… Ah. Seo Changbin. Nice kid, nice family.” I don’t like how he said that. That had the tone. The tone of I approve. I didn’t want that. I just met this guy. Jaeduck continued, “His dad owns one of the stores in town. They make good money.”

Gross. He sounds like he’s making a case for marriage. I gotta change the subject. Fast. “Do you know the Cha family?”

“Dr. Cha’s family? Sure. He’s a great guy. The kids don’t bother us too much. Why are people saying stuff about them again?”

“Wait… what do you mean again? What happened?”

“People are just too judgey. Don’t worry about it Miyoung.”

“I just… They don’t seem to fit in very well at school is all. It felt weird.”

“They…” He groaned, “Dr. Cha is such an amazing doctor, surgeon even. We are so lucky he doesn’t care for those big cities. He could probably work in any hospital in the world and make so much money. He’s helped us a thousand times over. You don’t even know Miyoung…” Jaeduck clicked his tongue with a frown. “For those kids in town… You’d think there would be trouble with so many teenagers like that… No. The Cha kids are so well-behaved. …so well behaved.” Jaeduck rolled his eyes, “Even more so than kids who lived here for generations.”

“They looked so lonely by themselves.” It hit me. He just sang praises of the family. I quickly added, “They’re very pretty.”

“Ah… You sound like those nurses now. You should see how they giggle and hang on his every word. It’s something to watch.” Jaeduck laughed continuing to tell me how attractive he was. It made me wonder if he’s appreciating the man’s beauty or if both my parents might be gay. 

I tried to process everything that Jaeduck had told me. So the Cha kids were super polite and their parents were equally as attractive as their foster children. Their dad, is an amazing doctor and an even more attractive man. The thought of Jaeduck gushing like a schoolboy with a crush on Dr. Cha made me smile. I cleared the table and did the dishes. Jaeduck said he had to shower now or he’d never have time for it in the morning so next time he’d do the dishes. I don’t mind. Unlike Mom at least he told me when he wanted me to do something. Eunji just assumed that I would magically know I had to do something and then get mad at me for not doing it later.

 

The rest of the week fell in line with the first two days. I stressed over Jungwon being there but he wasn’t. Thankfully my novelty wore off by Friday. I don’t know if I could handle it if people kept acting like that with me. Only Changbin, Yongbok, and Jimin as well as their friends were the only ones who seemed to care.

Jimin walked me to the cafeteria chatting about Changbin. Mostly about how annoyed she was that he spent more time with Yongbok. Was she trying to say she thought they were gay or mad that Changbin had friends? It made me so confused. I knew her crush on Changbin was going to lead to trouble in the long run. God why couldn’t she just be gay… 

“What do you want? The usual stuff or something different?”

My eyes had noted the one difference at the Cha sibling table. Jungwon. He’s back. He vanished for a week but now he was back. Jimin waved her hand in front of my face.

“What are you staring at?”

To avoid her trying to gossip about me I just grabbed a drink and went to the table. Changbin and Yongbok took note of my lack of food. Here I was trying to avoid drawing attention to myself and there they were… drawing attention to me.

“Is Miyoung sick?”

“Is she okay?”

“Aren’t you hungry?” Jimin’s the only one to ask me. The only one polite enough to not whisper about me despite sitting right next to me.

“Nah. I’m not feeling good. I should be good with this for now. But feel free to whisper about me more. Fine.”

I let everyone keep talking as I sipped my drink, trying to stay quiet since there were a few looks from some at the table. My sudden attitude is likely the cause. My eyes drifted to the Cha siblings who were laughing and chatting with each other. Jungwon was with them. I did notice that he seemed… different. Maybe it’s because they were laughing and joking with him. I just couldn’t believe the guy with such a cute smile was the same one who’d glared at me so very coldly. I had to look away. My first impression of them was gone. The Cha siblings just don’t look lonely anymore. That made me feel a bit better.

“Cha Jungwon is looking at you.” Jimin giggles.

I froze. “D-does he look mad?”

No,” she said, “Should… should he be?”

I put my head down. Jimin played my hair. “I don’t think he likes me.”

“He’s a Cha. They don’t like anybody.” She quickly added, “But he’s staring at you.”

“Stop looking at him. He’s gonna think we’re talking about him.”

Jimin giggled at my whispered shouting. At least she did listen to me. Changbin quickly started talking about something or other. My focus however was only on Jungwon. Jimin didn’t say he was angry so maybe I could survive class with him. 

Biology came way too early. I didn’t see him in his chair when I walked in. Maybe he left. I took my seat and doodled on my notebook trying to keep up my hope. I need to do something till class starts. Gradually my small doodle turned into some horrifying creature seeming to reach out of my notebook at me. I jumped as I heard the chair beside me move. My hand went to my chest as I tried to get my heart to a normal rate. 

It had to be Jungwon since Changbin was focused on his classwork and I didn’t talk with anyone else in class. My eyes stayed trained on the weird creature I was drawing. If Jungwon was going to glare at me then I didn’t want to look at him. I didn’t want to see the dirty looks. There’s no way that I’d done something to earn this.

“Hello,” said a soft voice.

I couldn’t stop myself from looking at him. The face that looked at me wasn’t the same one that had given me such a deadly glare. A pleasant friendly smile that lit up his beautiful face. This could not be the same Jungwon...

“My name’s Cha Jungwon. I’m sorry that I didn’t get a chance to introduce myself before. You must be Kim Miyoung.”

How was this polite, friendly guy the same one who had glared at me? Did he even glare at me? Maybe that wasn’t what had happened? Oh my god, did I get things confused in my head? I was so lost in trying to figure out what was going on that I had forgotten that he’d even spoken. Oh no… I have to say words back!

“H-how did you know my name?”

He laughed a melodic sound. “Everyone knows Jaeduck Hyung-nim’s beloved daughter.”

Of course. That’s what it was. Well… At least he’d referred to me by my name unlike everyone else. Before we could speak more on the subject the teacher instructed all of us to focus on our assignment. I could not get over the shift in Jungwon. How could a guy have that big of a mood shift? I let Jungwon lead things as I was still trying to wrap my head around him. Since I let him do all the work we were the first ones to finish. I was sneaking glances at Jungwon when the teacher came over to double-check our work. I mean we did finish so fast. After the teacher finished scolding me for letting Jungwon do all the work, I noticed why Jungwon’s face looked so off. His eyes. They aren’t the harsh coal black anymore. They’re… gold?

“Did you get contacts?” I blurt.

No?

“Oh. …I thought they were black but they’re like… gold.”

Jungwon tried to change the topic far too quickly for my liking. Like will he get in trouble for wearing them or something? Why does he have to hide it? I don’t understand it. I thought I was gonna lose it when he, honest to God, tried to talk about the weather with me. The weather. There was no way to stop the laughter that bubbled up from me.

“Are we gonna talk about the weather?” I laughed.

He tried again, “…so how are you liking things here?”

“It’s… different.”

“Do you not like it here?”

I look over at him. Jungwon’s leaning towards me. His oddly golden eyes seemed so trained on me that it was almost unnerving. I shrugged. I wasn’t sure what to do. I didn’t want to say that I didn’t like it here given I’d only been here a week. There wasn’t much that I’d done in the week. Maybe if he’d asked far later then I’d have a real answer. 

“Why’d you come here if you don’t mind me asking?”

Jungwon’s the only one who’d even bothered to ask me this question. It felt weird now that I thought about it. Why was he the only one who asked?

“It’s… a lot.”

“I can keep up. I promise,” he pressed.

I stared into those beautiful eyes as I spoke. “My mom lives in America. She’s dating someone in the military there.”

“Do you not like the person?” Jungwon looks interested in what I have to say. It’s not like when I try to tell Yongbok or Changbin things. It felt like it went over their heads.

“Oh no! I’m okay with Alex. I mean… It’d be nice if we didn’t move around a lot.”

“Is that why you came here?”

I nod. “I love being with them but I don’t like seeing how upset Eunji was when she couldn’t go with Alex.”

“If you like being with them, why not stay?”

“I said I didn’t like seeing how upset Eunji was when she couldn’t go with Alex. My mom wanted to be able to go with Alex.” I was starting to get annoyed. Jungwon kept pressing that one point. Why couldn’t he take my word that I wanted to come here to let Eunji travel with Alex? Despite his friendly expression and kind tone, he seemed stuck on bringing up why I couldn’t just go back to my mom and Alex. The next time he asked it I couldn’t stop myself from snapping. “Why does it matter to you? Huh?”

Jungwon got quiet and looked away. “That’s… that’s a very good question.”

More silence fell between us before Jungwon broke it.

“Am I annoying you?”

I took a deep breath. “No. I’m fine. You’re f… I’m not annoyed at you.”

The teacher drew all our attention back to him and started to give us a lesson over the lab that we’d just done. I did my best to focus only on the teacher. It made things a bit more easier than the lab had. Although the distraction next to me was the real reason I didn’t understand as well. As I wrote some notes I noticed Jungwon was back to clenching his fists and leaning away from me. God damn it. I thought the little share session had made it better. How were we back to this? Much like last week Jungwon darted out of the room once the bell rang. I could not believe this.

Changbin came up to me. We’ve been walking to the gym class together since my first day. I could not focus. What the heck was going on with Jungwon? Why was he doing this hot and cold routine? Didn’t Jimin say that Jungwon didn’t like people?

I left the gym as soon as the bell rang. Sitting in my car I had my heater on and the radio up. My mom hadn’t texted me at all. I tried to check her Instagram and she’d posted several new pictures of her and Alex in Las Vegas. That would be why she couldn’t respond to me. I look up as I tuck my phone into my pocket. I noticed Jungwon standing by what I assumed was his car.