Communication

황혼 | Hwanghon

Walking to lunch later that day, I was able to forget the weird offer from Jungwon. Jimin was too excited for me not to give her my sole focus. I had no clue what she was talking about but she seemed happy to explain it to me. I was happy to listen to something that wasn’t her complaining about how Changbin didn’t like her. Especially to me. The girl he liked who likes Jimin… and Jungwon. I definitely had more positive feelings for Yongbok than most of the guys who fluttered around me. Jimin’s in the middle of retelling a show she watched last night when a familiar voice interrupted her. Jungwon. Of course, he was coming to interrupt my time with Jimin. He seemed so focused on making sure that he pissed me off today.

“I’m borrowing her today.” Jungwon drags me over to an empty table by my wrist. I stood there watching him as he sat down. “Why are you just standing there?”

“...this is weird.”

“Do you not want to sit with me?” he beamed at me.

“Put that away.” I gestured to his face. I sat down a few seats away from him. Jungwon just moved closer with that sweet smile still on his face. “Jungwon… what on Earth are you doing?”

“I’ve decided… if you’re gonna be annoying then I’ll just embrace it.”

“Excuse you…”

“You should be thrilled. Wasn’t the point of your last tantrum?”

My jaw clenched. “It wasn’t a tantrum. I was telling you how dumb it is to tell me it’s not smart to be your friend when it’s you being the dumb one and trying to be my friend. Why are you not getting that part...”

“At least you’ve given up on the van thing…”

“I haven’t given up on that. You’re just distracting by being a crazy person.”

“Miyoung… I’m saying let's be friends. Like right now. A fresh start and all that.”

“You just—!! Fine. Whatever. We’re friends.” I rolled my eyes.

A silence lapsed between us. I wanted to scream. He’s doing it again. He’s being hot and cold. If this was how he was going to be then why couldn’t I have stayed with Jimin? Why did I have to sit here and endure whatever brand of torture this was… I just know it. Jungwon was going to spend today being all nice to me then try to be a jerk later.

“What’s on your mind?”

“You know what… fine. The van.”

He sighed, “Fine. What do you think happened?”

“You brought it up. I was fine forgetting it.” I snapped. “It’s clear you stopped the car. I don’t know how or why but it's clear you did that.” My eyes scan his face for signs that he understood what I was saying. “I’m really glad that you saved me. I really am but why can’t you just explain things?”

“Why do I even need to?”

“Well for one if you really want to be my friend then you wouldn’t lie to me. You’d be honest with me. Especially if you expect this,” I gestured between him and myself, “to last.”

“You should smile. People think we’re fighting. In fact, one of your fans is debating coming over and teaching me a lesson.” I followed his line of sight to see Yongbok and Changbin looking directly at me. “I wonder why they both act like they’re dating you.”

“I’m not dating anyone. …And we are fighting. Cause you’re a controlling weirdo.”

Jungwon started looking at me with an odd expression. I looked out at people eating around us. He must have noticed my stares as he disappeared coming back with food. Certainly interesting but it felt way too romantic for someone who declared himself in the friend zone. The most interesting part was… that there was only enough for one. Jungwon placed it in front of me.

“Here, eat something.” 

I picked at the food feeling a bit out of place. “Hey… can you do me a favor since we’re friends now?”

“Sure. What is it?”

“Next time you wanna go back to being a jerk give me a warning. Especially if it's the ignoring stuff. It’s really annoying to be smacked in the face with it randomly.”

“Hmmm. Maybe. If you promise me something.” I look up from the food. Does he want something? I stare him down until he continues. “I get to ask you questions. About you.”

“That’s not fair. It’s only fair if I get to ask you questions as well!”

He rolled his eyes but I could see his mouth twitch as if he was trying to not smile. “Fine. We’ll take turns asking questions then.”

I smile. “Good. Thank you.”

“Are you done eating?”

“What? No. Why?”

Jungwon holds up his phone showing me the time. Oh my god! We’re running late! I try to grab the tray to take care of it. Jungwon stops me. He takes care of it as I try to hurry out the door. Jungwon waves to me making me pause. Why is he in no hurry?

“Come on! We’re gonna be late. Hurry it up!”

“Nah. I’m not going.”

“You can do that?”

“Yeah. Better hurry if you’re gonna go to class.”

I walk back over to him. My eyes examine that perfect face before I walk out of the building. “Like hell, Mister Perfect is going to get me in trouble with Jaeduck.”

After school, I spotted Jungwon sitting in his car. I went over to Jungwon expecting his siblings to appear and stop me. Especially given the looks they kept sending my way recently. He rolled down his window and the music that I could hear made me roll my eyes. Jungwon was of course listening to some girl group. 

“If you were gonna ditch then why would you stay here?”

“Who’s gonna drive my beloved siblings home? …Hey. …I’m using my question. I’ve been wondering.”

“Sure, go for it.” I cross my arms over my chest. I did promise to answer questions as long as I could ask some.

“What’s your mom like? You told me a bit about her but…what’s she like?”

I blink.

“What? I’m just curious. You have such a weird expression on your face when you talk about her. It makes me wonder.”

“She’s the opposite of Jaeduck.”

“Very descriptive. It’s like I already know her.”

“Wait till I tell everyone how rude Jungwon really is,” I wrinkle my nose. He waits for a long while before he says anything else.

“How old are you Miyoung?”

That threw me. “Seventeen?”

“Then you really should act like it.” I was ready to smack him. Why was Jungwon like this? No. Better question. Was he always like this? Did he just hide it really well? “Why did your mom move you guys to America?”

Ah. I knew this would come up at some point. I had hoped it would be much later. “I’d rather not say. Things tend to spread around town pretty easily. Tell me about your parents.”

“Mine are dead.”

I blink. “No, you idiot. Dr. Cha and his wife.”

“Oh them! They’re perfect.”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re so rude. Of course, I meant them.”

“Hey. Sometimes people get weird and ask about my birth parents.”

“I wanted to know about your adopted parents.”

“Eunwoo and Taeyeon are really nice. And if your next questions are about Hanse or Shownu then I’m driving away.”

“Ouch…” I smiled.

Jungwon’s siblings appeared so he drove away as I waited for my taxi to appear. When I got home Jaeeduck was already there with Jungkook and Jinyoung. How was Jaeduck off work already? Did Jungwon’s stunt make me late? I didn’t bother going to see how the other two were inside. Jungkook must have heard me walk up as he hurried out from under the truck. I couldn’t help but smile watching him. It’s kind of cute.

“Hey! I might be able to have her up and running in a couple of days.”

“Are you serious?” I had to resist the urge to hug Jungkook.

“Well yeah. Almost all the damage is to the body.” I sat on the ground watching Jungkook work on my bongo. He stares at the dents from the impact of the van. 

“Oh. Wait. I saw something online let me see if it works.”

I get to my feet. There had been a TikTok about someone using a plunger. I tried to sneak out with the plunger but Jaeduck stopped me at the door. He made me explain why I needed to take the plunger outside. Even after I explained it Jaeduck followed me out. I guess to see this first hand. I repeated my explanation to Jungkook. My plan was for him to do it. Given that both Jaeduck and Jungkook weren’t jumping up to take the lead with this. I would have to do this myself. Great. I step up to the dent trying to get the plunger stick. It does not.

Jungkook coughs. “D-do you need help?”

I nod. “It has to stick then pull.”

Jungkook takes the plunger from me being extra careful not to touch my hands. Some part of me felt almost… insulted. Why didn’t he want to touch my hands? Were my hands dirty? I pout as he manages to get it first try. Jungkook tugs the plunger. The dent corrects itself a small amount. Jaeduck rushes over to inspect it. The two chat amongst themselves all but ignoring me. I was about to go inside when Jaeduck turned to smile at me. 

“Where did you learn this?”

I pull up the video and show it to him. 

“This is amazing. Do they have other videos like that?”

Before I could disappoint him by not knowing any of them, Jungkook steps up showing Jaeduck some of the people he follows. I stare at Jungkook wondering if he could read minds like Jungwon claimed to. Jungkook must have caught me staring as he smiled winking at me. I cough turning around to go inside. There on the countertop was a box of pizza and a much smaller box with a note pinned to it.

Do Not Touch! For Miyoung Only!

It looked like Jaeduck’s handwriting. Did he… How did he remember? 

“You okay?”

“YeS! I’m fine!”

Jaeduck grabs the box holding it out to me. “Boneless. Sweet chili flavor. The biggest order of them I could get.”

I look down.

“Are you not hungry?”

I bow to him then take the box running to my room. I could hear Jaeduck laughing and Jungkook calling after me. Jaeduck remembered. He even remembered the flavor. My entire focus was on staring at the box. The sudden cough made me jump. I looked up to see Jungkook smiling at me. He sat down on the floor in front of me.

“My bad. I didn’t want you to think I snuck up on you.”

“Welp. Too bad. I think you did.”

Jungkook smiled up at me. “I came to ask if you wanted some pizza but Jaeduck hyung told me not to.”

“...I don’t like pizza.”

“You… you don’t?”

I shook my head. “My mom and her … my mom used to get pizza. A lot. Most nights when we traveled around America. I don’t like pizza anymore. I can eat it but… I don’t like it.”

“What flavor did he get you?” Jungkook didn’t question me about pizza anymore. “He wouldn’t even let me and Dad look at the box.”

“Sweet chili,” I smiled.

“Why are you smiling?”

I blinked. “Oh… uh. I tend to prefer the sweet chili flavor.”

“You do? Huh… have you tried the garlic parmesan?”

I shook my head making him tell me about it. I didn’t realize that he had a plate with a few slices on his lap. When he spoke, I ate and when I spoke, he ate. Jungkook once again brought up coming to his family’s beach. It would be a chance to hang out with him. It could be far more fun than hanging out with Jimin’s friends. Jimin could be running around with Changbin. Yongbok might be able to win over Ari. Hell, even Dambi could do something with Chan. Since it was Jungkook’s land I could ignore these people and spend time with him.

“Hey, what if me and some of the weirdos come to your family’s beach?”

“Weirdos? Who you trying to bring on my land?”

“I got some friends. I’ll call them to see who is willing to go. If you need a number…”

Jungkook chuckled. “Miyoung… Noona… You don’t have to give me a number. I told you, didn’t I? You can come and hang out on the beach with your friends. As long as you don’t bring the whole school. That’s a bit much…”

“Rude. Of course, I’m not going to invite everyone.