Leaving Soon

황혼 | Hwanghon

I collapsed on the bed as soon as I got home. Jaeduck had promised to figure out what to have for dinner on his own. I didn’t know or understand the game he was watching. I didn’t want to ruin it for him by sitting next to him and making him explain it all to me.

As I lay there I realized that I needed to look into what he told me. It did just sound like a silly story but… I need to double-check. I have to try to see. There has to be something to the way Jungwon is. I just know it. Maybe if I know then I can deal with him better. Probably not but one can at least hope. Googling vampire brought up the typical responses. The latest books, movies, comics, and games. There were some weird sites too. Sites that sold fangs while another claimed that it was where ‘real vampires’ hang out. I felt so dumb. My last resort was Wikipedia.

Simple white background with black text. The site being an alphabetized listing of most things around the world with articles to further explain everything on the site. I went to Vampire. There were only three entries really caught my attention: the Romanian Varacolaci, a powerful undead being who could appear as a beautiful, pale-skinned human. The Slovak Nelapsi, a creature so strong and fast it could massacre an entire village in a single hour after midnight. One other… the Stregoni benefici who only had one brief sentence.

Stregoni benefici: An Italian vampire, said to be on the side of goodness, and a mortal enemy of all evil vampires.

Whoa. I didn’t even know there were good vampires. I mean it didn’t help that none of it fit with Jungkook’s story or what I knew about Jungwon.

I compared my notes with the different types of vampires I read. Speed, strength, beauty, pale skin, and eyes that shift color. Of course, I could not forget the notes from Jungkook’s story. Blood drinkers, enemies of the werewolf, cold-skinned, and immortal. Hardly any of these matched with just one type.

Wait.

What was I doing? Was I really going to sit here and call Jungwon a damn vampire? Everyone knew vampires couldn't come out in the daytime, the sun would burn them to a cinder. They slept in coffins all day and came out only at night. With a groan, I sit up tossing my phone. There is no way I’m saying he’s a goddamn vampire. A break. That’s what I need. I tried to work on my homework but I could only do so much before sleep took me.

The next day was so beautiful. When I went to see Jaeduck, he’d been in the middle of finishing breakfast.

"Nice day out, huh?”

"Yes," I agreed with a grin.

He smiled back. “Glad to see a smile on your face Mimi.”

“M-mi… uh… yeah,” I felt myself blush.

“Ah. Did you outgrow that nickname?”

“N-no! I mean… I don’t mind Dad…”

Jaeduck reaches out to pat my head. “Have a good day Mimi. I’ll text you if I’m running late.”

“Y-you too Dad!”

After he left I quickly finished my breakfast before leaving myself. I was one of the first ones to school thanks to my beloved bongo. I hadn't even checked the clock in my hurry to get outside. I headed toward the seldom-used picnic benches on the south side of the cafeteria. The benches were still a little damp but what’s a little water. My jacket would protect my from the water. To pass the time I decided to go over my homework. I mean I’d fallen asleep on it last night after all. Quite literally.

"Miyoung!" I heard someone call out.

I looked around trying to find the source of the shout. Changbin? I should have realized it was him from the voice. Not only was he there but I’d been so focused on my homework that I’d not noticed everyone else had arrived.

"Hey, Changbin," I called.

He came to sit by me. His grin stretched across his face. He’s so delighted to see me. Almost like a puppy seeing its owner for the first time in a long time. Except I’m not his owner. I’m not his girlfriend. I’m friends with the girl who would die to be his girlfriend.

"Hey. I never noticed before… your hair has red in it," he commented.

"Only in the suuuuun." My tone shifted as he tucked a stray lock of hair behind my ear. “What are you doing…”

"Great day, isn't it?"

"My kind of day," I agreed.

"What did you do yesterday?"

I look over him the corners of my mouth turning down. “I mostly worked on my essay.”

He hit his forehead with the heel of his hand. "Oh yeah… that's due Thursday, right?"

"Um, Wednesday, I think."

"Wednesday?" He frowned. "That's not good... What are you writing yours on?"

“You’re not copying me.”

"I guess I'll have to get to work on that tonight," he said, deflated. "I was going to ask if you wanted to go out."

I stared at him. There is no way he’s trying this… There is no ing way. He knows that Jimin is interested in him now. He knows I’m not interested by now.

"We could go to dinner or something... and I could work on it later." He smiled at me.

"Changbin… I don't think that would be the best idea."

His face fell. "Why?"

"I think... and if you ever repeat what I'm saying right now I will sing as I beat you to death," I threatened, "but I think that would hurt Jimin's feelings."

He blinked, "Jimin?"

"Really… Changbin, are you blind?"

"Oh," he exhaled.

"It's time for class, and I can't be late again." I gathered my books up and stuffed them in my bag.

We walked in silence for the first time since I came here. When I did peek at him, his expression looked so distracted. God, I hope he’s thinking about these things properly.

When I saw Jimin in class, she was bubbling with enthusiasm. She, Ari, and Dambi were going to go dress shopping for the party and she wanted me to come. It’d be nice to get out of town with Ari and Jimin. I kind of wanted to try spending some more time with Ari. The time at the beach was a lot of fun. Although Dambi would be there.

So I gave her a maybe, telling her I'd have to talk with Jaeduck first.

She talked of nothing but the party on the way to the next class. Even going so far as to continue without an interruption when class finally ended and we were on our way to lunch. I was far too lost in my own frenzy of anticipation to notice much of what she said. Painfully eager to see not just him but all the Cha siblings to compare them with the new suspicions I had. As I stepped into the cafeteria, I felt my heart race. Would they be able to know what I was thinking? And then a different feeling jolted through me… would Jungwon be waiting to sit with me again?

As per my routine, I looked at the Cha siblings’ table. 

My day soured. 

Of course, they weren’t here. Why would they be here? I’m no one special so why did I think that Jungwon or his siblings would want me around? My disappointment was immeasureable. I didn’t even bother hiding it. I knew Jimin was trying to tell me about something but even more my mind was on Jungwon, on my impossible yet beautiful savior.

We were late enough that everyone was already at our table. Sitting by Ari meant that Jimin could sit by Changbin. He really shocked me though. Changbin held the chair out politely for Jimin and her face lit up in response.

Ari invited me to go with them tonight and I agreed this time. I’d need something to distract me. Something told me I’d be alone in Biology today. 

And I was.

The rest of the day passed by so dang slowly. In Gym, we had a lecture on the rules of badminton, the next torture they had lined up for me. At least it meant I got to sit and listen instead of stumbling around on the court. The best part was that the coach didn't finish. He’d have to do the rest tomorrow. I’m spared some days of torment from the others and them me. Too bad I was not having a good day on top of this good fortune.

I could not get home fast enough. Jimin’s ringtone sounded off making me grab my phone so fast. I wanted to hang up but also cheer. Jimin called to cancel our plans so she could go on a date with Changbin. I needed the pick me up hanging out would give. However, Changbin asking her out had to come first. I really was relieved that he finally seemed to be catching on. She rescheduled our shopping trip for tomorrow night. Now what?

I got the fish marinating. There was salad and bread left over from last night so we could have that to go with the fish. Sadly that left me lots of free time. My unfinished homework only took up half an hour. I messaged back and forth with my mom and Alex. They seemed annoyed by me not talking to them sooner. Honestly, I had no reason for not texting back or messaging back. I just didn’t do it. After being scolded for a while I decided to go read. Not just read but like quilt down in the yard under a tree and read.

I folded the quilt in half and laid it out of the reach of the trees' shadows on the thick lawn. I lay on my stomach crossing my ankles in the air. It was hard to pick a book to read. All my choices made my mind drift to Jungwon in some way. Either a character was literally named Jungwon or their names were so close. Since none of my books were working for me I decided to just lay there and enjoy the sun well it was there.

The next thing I knew I woke up to the sounds of Jaeduck’s cruiser. Oh my god. It’s not sunny anymore… The light had gone behind the trees.

"Jaeduck?" I asked.

I jumped up gathering the now-damp quilt I’d laid on and my books. I ran inside to get some oil heating on the stove. I’d found Jaeduck hanging up his gun belt and stepping out of his boots when I came in.

"Sorry, Dad. I fell asleep outside." I stifled a yawn. “I’ll get dinner going soon.”

"Don't worry about it," he winked. "I wanted to catch the score on the game, anyway."

After dinner, I watched TV with Jaeduck. He’d picked something mindless. I guess he didn’t want to have to explain the game to me. He seemed pretty happy with this though. So I didn’t want to ruin that for him.

"Dad," I said during a commercial, "Jimin and Ari are going to look at dresses for that party and they wanted me to help them choose... do you mind if I go with them?"

"Shim Jimin?" he asked.

"And Byun Ari."

He seemed confused. "But you're not going…?"

"No, Dad, but I'm helping them find dresses. It’s a girl hang-out thing."

"Well, okay." He paused. "It's a school night, though."

"We'll leave right after school, so we can get back early. You'll be okay for dinner, right?"

"Miyoung, I fed myself for seventeen years before you got here," he reminded me.

"I'll leave some things for cold-cut sandwiches in the fridge, okay? Right on top."

The next day was more of the same. A beautiful day and no Jungwon. Dress shopping was back on. I guess Jimin and Ari figured that if Dambi couldn’t do it they’d just do it without her. Which worked for me. I didn’t have to hear more snide comments from her. The problem was, now I just wanted to go. No waiting for school to end. Just go. If we left right now maybe I would stop glancing over my shoulder and expecting Jungwon to appear out of thin air. I told myself that I would be in a good mood tonight and not ruin Ari's or Jimin's enjoyment in the dress hunting. Maybe I could do a little clothes shopping as well. I refused to think that I might be shopping alone in Seoul this weekend. Although it’s looking like that may be the case.

After school, Jimin dropped me at my house so I could ditch my bag and books. I left a note for Jaeduck on the table, explaining again where to find dinner, and ran out to join Jimin. We went to Ari's house next, and she’s been waiting for us. I got pretty excited as we actually drove out of the town limits