The Incident

황혼 | Hwanghon

I dreaded going to school the next day. Would I get polite Jungwon or angry Jungwon? My fanboys were easier to handle than Jungwon. Changbin I could redirect his attention towards Jimin. Yongbok tended to get distracted by Changbin trying to do better than him.

Today was the first day I drove myself. Jaeduck told me to be very careful and not draw attention to myself. I had to promise not to break any laws. He told me about some important laws to make sure that I’d be okay.

Either way, I parked my car where the lady in the office told me on my first day. My bag fell out of the cab of my bongo. I scooped it up with a strange noise reaching my ears. A painfully loud screeching filled the air. In the corner of my eyes, I noticed movement. I turned to see a van sliding towards me at an impossible speed. My eyes searched around me as if someone would help me if I only locked eyes with them. I only was able to pick out the face of Cha Jungwon in the crowd. My arms came up to shield my face as I closed my eyes.

An icy coldness slammed into me. It wrapped around me. It cradled me close. My eyes fluttered open at the sound of his velvet voice. A voice that I would never forget. 

Cha Jungwon.

I look around trying to comprehend what’s going on around me. There are dents on the side of the van. Dents that looked almost like …hands? Had his hands pushed away the van? I started to lift my hand as if I could verify if the dents were from hands with my own. Then I noticed that Jungwon was really close to me. Whoa. Jungwon was so close to me.

As if snapping back to reality while staring at his face, the yelling of the bystanders started to register in my ears. Jungwon’s worried yet beautiful voice in my ear however rose above the screaming. “Miyoung? Are you okay? Are you alright?”

I tried to sit up. Why was I lying down?

“Be careful,” he growls. “I think you hit your head.”

I certainly felt like I did. I wanted to sleep. The numbness made me feel so drowsy. I tried once again to move away from him. Something bothered me. My mouth formed the words as he stared at me with such concern.

“How did you get to me so fast?”

His concern melted to such a blank, almost angry expression. I tried to get up or move, do something. I did not like what he was doing. This made me feel… weird. Shouting drew my attention. People are shouting at the van. The van that was crushing the taxi where I’d once been standing. My attention falls on the van as well. Jungwon tried to get me to sit down but I couldn’t just sit there. I need to see if the driver of the van is okay or not.

“Don’t move.”

“Get Chan out of there!”

Everyone was moving around the cars. Rushing around me and the driver of the van. I noticed Jungwon had grabbed me literally setting me on the ground. I wanted to pick a fight. I wanted to scream at his calm handsome face. How dare he ignore my question. How dare he put me on the ground. Why were these people screaming so much? It’s making my head hurt.

Someone had called Emergency services. I only knew that cause I heard Jaeduck shouting and calling my name. My voice telling him that I’m fine was drowned out by Jungwon announcing to all that I’d hit my head. I let Jaeduck lead me over to an EMT. I didn’t feel up to arguing or saying anything against Jaeduck or Jungwon. I just wanted this weird feeling to stop.

“I think she’s in shock or something.”

I look at Jungwon. Why would he say that? Jaeduck looks at me trying to draw my attention to him. “Miyoung, are you okay?”

I didn’t get a chance to answer as the EMTs loaded me into one of the ambulances. I noticed that Jungwon tagged along. Jaeduck provided a makeshift police even though I know it’s more him abusing his power than anything. It felt weird with the way they were carting me around like I was deathly injured. I just hit my head I thought. 

Jaeduck fluttered around me as much as the nurses did. I wanted to wave him away. Surely he had to go check on the kid in the van.

“Miyoung! I’m so sorry!”

I sit up to see Bang Chan from one of my classes. He always looked scary, not like Jungwon. But pretty close to it. Unlike me or Jungwon, Chan’s pretty badly beaten up. There were bloody bandages covering his face and hands. “Ignore me. Are you okay, Chan? You look awful.”

“Oh, thanks. It makes me nearly killing you feel so much better.”

I felt myself resist the urge to smile. “Always happy to help.”

Jaeduck clicks his tongue. I’d completely forgotten he was here. Chan however did seem to relax so that made me feel a bit better.

“...I’m really sorry Miyoung, Jaeduck hyung-nim.”

I rolled my eyes. Chan didn’t need to apologize to him. Jaeduck hadn’t bumped his head, I had. “I am fine Chan. I really am. I mean it. At most, it's a bump on the head. You’re full-on bleeding. You’re hurt worse than me.”

“That remains to be seen.”

I glared at him. He better not make the doctor focus on me when Chan needs it more. Chan keeps apologizing and Jaeduck keeps acting like it's him that he’s apologizing to. Nurses took me away to run some tests on me. I was excited about the break from Jaeduck and Chan. The test was annoying. X-rays to make sure nothing was broken. Some other tests but from the sounds of it it’s all about making sure that nothing is broken.

Going back to Jaeduck I was happy to see that Chan was taken care of. No more listening to Jaeduck and Chan go back and forth. I barely noticed Jungwon approach the bed.

“How are you?”

I was about to answer when a man glided into the room. He had all the grace of Jungwon and his siblings. Was it something that people could learn? I didn’t understand how they were like this. If it was something that they could teach others then I wanted to take that class. The man who’d come into the room had to be Dr. Cha given that Jaeduck was being super polite. Almost crazy respectful. This doctor was definitely as attractive as Jungwon. He had to be Dr. Cha, Jungwon’s foster father. Dr. Cha flashes me such a dazzling smile.

“Hello, Miyoung. I’m sorry that this is how we’re meeting each other. I’m Doctor Cha Eunwoo. How are you feeling?”

“Does it really matter with how bad Chan had it?” I look down at my hands. There was no way that this guy was gonna listen where everyone else hadn’t.

“Everything so far seems alright. Do you mind if I look?”

I shrug but Jaeduck gives permission. Honestly why ask me… Anyway, his hands were cool as I feel his fingers move around and through my hair. Honestly, it felt nice. Well for the most part.

“Does it hurt anywhere?”

“No.” My no didn’t hold up with my grimace as he seemed to apply his full body weight on one sore area.

“Liar.”

I make faces at Jungwon only stopping when I hear Jaeduck attempt to scold me. The smile on his face made it hard to take it as him parenting me. Jaeduck turned to Dr. Cha and started to discuss something. I went back to making faces at Jungwon when he wasn’t looking.

“Everything looks good Miyoung. Go home and rest. Just come back if you start feeling off in any way.”

Wait. “Does this mean no school?”

“Miyoung. Doctor’s orders are doctor’s orders.”

I let Jaeduck go off with Dr. Cha as I stare down Jungwon. “I need to talk to you. Now.”

Jungwon rolls his eyes waiting for me to explain. I got up from the hospital bed and grabbed his sleeve leading him further away from people. I felt proud that I didn’t wobble once as I moved. Or it didn’t feel like I did. 

“What do you want Miyoung?”

“You need to explain what happened. I was all by myself and then you just, oh so, magically appear? What the hell happened Jungwon?”

“What do you mean? I saved you. That’s all that happened.” his voice was cold.

“Oh no. That’s not all that happened.”

Jungwon sighs, looking around.

“Oh no. You’re going to answer me Cha Jungwon.”

“Answer you about what? Hmmm? You hit your head. I tried to save you but you hit your head. What more is there Miyoung?”

“How did you save me? I was by myself. I remember that. Vividly.”

Jungwon rubs the bridge of his nose. “Miyoung…”

Does he really think that he can just tell me that I hit my head and I would forget? Oh is he sorely mistaken. “Cha Jungwon you were not next to me. You just magically appeared—”

“So what?! Do you think I just stopped the car? Or some other weird superhero thing? Hmm? What is it? Tell me.” He acted like my glare was nothing to him. “You can’t. Because all I did was save you and you’re not even grateful.”

“Thank… thank you.” I sounded pathetic even to my ears.

Jungwon scoffs walking away. I wanted to chase after him. I wanted to shake him and demand that he explain himself. How can someone do something like that? 

Jaeduck chose this moment to find me. I let him lead me to his car. He tried to explain what Dr. Cha had told him. I just couldn’t listen. My mind was on how Jungwon had appeared next to me and saved me so fast. One minute I’m closing my eyes hoping that helps me ignore the pain I was going to experience. The next minute I’m staring up at Jungwon. He had to have done something.

Jaeduck cut through my thoughts helping me into his police cruiser. “You might want to call your mom.”

My head went into my hands as he waited for me to buckle in. “You told her…”

“What was I supposed to do Miyoung?”

I buckled in and then pulled out my phone. I was not going to enjoy this at all. The whole car ride back to the house I was yelled at over the phone. Not only mom did do it but I could hear Alex in the background. That was one of the reasons I didn’t put it on speaker. Mom wouldn’t make Alex leave the room. I wouldn’t ask her to. I just know hearing Alex would make Jaeduck upset. I stayed on the phone until I made it to my room. I had planned to fight her demands to come home by telling her about all my friends but I didn’t feel good telling her about them for some reason