Fear or More?

황혼 | Hwanghon

Everyone watched us as we walked together to our lab table. I noticed that he no longer angled the chair to sit as far from me as the desk would allow. Instead, he sat quite close beside me. So close to me that our arms almost touching. I didn’t know what to do. Just a bit longer and I can try talking to Jaeduck.

Mr. Byun backed into the room pulling a tall metal frame on wheels that held a heavy-looking, outdated TV and VCR. A movie day. 

As the room went black, I was suddenly hyperaware that Jungwon was sitting less than an inch from me. Stunned by the unexpected electricity that flowed through me, I was amazed that it was possible to be more aware of him than I already was. I’d had a crazy impulse to reach over and touch him. I wanted to his perfect face just once in the darkness so much that it nearly overwhelmed me. God I must be losing my mind. This guy was stalking me and I can’t forget that bit. Yes, he is attractive but I have to remember.

The opening credits began, lighting the room just enough for me to see him. I smiled sheepishly as I realized Jungwon’s posture was identical to mine. Fists clenched under his arms, right down to the eyes, peering sideways at me. He grinned back at me. His eyes somehow managed to smolder. I looked away. It was absolutely ridiculous that I should feel dizzy.

The hour seemed very long. I couldn't concentrate on the movie. I didn't even know what subject it was on. I tried unsuccessfully to relax but the electric current that seemed to be originating from somewhere in his body never slackened. Occasionally I would permit myself a quick glance in his direction however he never seemed to relax, either. The overpowering craving to touch him also refused to fade, and I crushed my fists safely against my ribs until my fingers were aching with the effort.

I breathed a sigh of relief when Mr. Byun flicked the lights back on at the end of class, and stretched my arms out in front of me, flexing my stiff fingers. Jungwon chuckled beside me.

"Well, that was interesting," he murmured.

"Umm," my only response.

"Shall we?" he asked.

I almost groaned. Time for Gym.

He walked me to my next class in silence and paused at the door. I turned to say goodbye. His face startled me. His expression was torn, almost pained, and so fiercely beautiful that the ache to touch him flared as strong as before. My goodbye stuck in my throat. He brushed the length of my cheekbone with his fingertips. His skin was as icy as ever but the trail his fingers left on my skin was warm. Like alarmingly warm. Like I'd been burned but I didn't feel the pain of it.

He turned without a word and strode quickly away from me.

I walked into the gym, lightheaded and wobbly. I drifted to the locker room only vaguely aware that there were other people surrounding me. Reality didn't fully set in until I was handed a racket. It wasn't heavy yet it felt very unsafe in my hand. I could see a few of the other kids in class eyeing me furtively. Coach Chae ordered us to pair up into teams. Some bits of Changbin's chivalry thankfully still survived. He came to stand beside me.

"Do you want to be a team?"

"Thanks, Changbin. You don't have to do this, you know." I grimaced apologetically.

"Don't worry, I'll keep out of your way." He grinned.

It didn't go smoothly. I managed to hit myself in the head with my racket and clip Changbin's shoulder on the same swing. I spent the rest of the hour in the back corner of the court. The racket being held safely behind my back. Despite being handicapped by me, Changbin was pretty good. He won three games out of four singlehandedly. He gave me an unearned high five when the coach finally blew the whistle ending class.

"So," he said as we walked off the court.

"So what?"

"You and Cha, huh?" he asked, his tone rebellious.

"That's none of your business, Changbin," I warned. If he heard everything Jimin spoke about to me then surely he would hear him. I don’t want him to attack Changbin. Even if he insults me a lot. He doesn’t deserve whatever Jungwon might do.

"I don't like it," he muttered anyway.

"You don't have to," I snapped. “You’re not my brother, you’re not my boyfriend and you’re not dad. You need to stop.”

"He looks at you like... like you're something to eat," he continued, ignoring me.

God damn it! Jungwon is gonna go off when I leave the class. He’ll be so annoying. I don’t know what I could tell Changbin to make him watch what he says in the future. Changbin however glared at me for my silence so I did the only thing that I could. I waved at him and fled to the locker room.

I dressed quickly. Jungwon would no doubt be waiting out there for me. I was wondering if Jungwon would be waiting or if I should meet him at his car. What if his family was there? I felt a wave of real terror. Did they know that I knew? Was I supposed to know that they knew that I knew, or not?

By the time I walked out of the gym, I had just about decided to walk straight home without even looking toward the parking lot. But my worries were unnecessary. Jungwon was waiting, leaning casually against the side of the gym, his breathtaking face untroubled now. 

"Hi," I breathed, smiling hugely.

"Hello." His answering smile was brilliant. "How was class?"

"Fine," I lied.

"Really?" He was unconvinced. His eyes shifted their focus slightly, looking over my shoulder and narrowing. I glanced behind me to see Changbin's back as he walked away.

"What?" I demanded.

His eyes slid back to mine, still tight. "Seo's getting on my nerves."

"You weren't listening again?" I was horror-struck.

"How's your head?" he asked innocently.

I glared at him.

He kept up with me easily. "You’re the one who made me curious."

I ignored him. Clearly he was not going to be helpful. Maybe I’ll just drive myself home. Despite my thoughts I could hear Jungwon trailing behind me. There was no way that he planned to ride in my car with me. …Right? He was following me like he was going to join me. Just focus. Get to my car. Jungwon kept following behind me without saying a word.

"Are you still angry?" he asked.

"Definitely."

He sighed. "Will you forgive me if I apologize?"

"Maybe... if you mean it. And if you promise not to do it again," I insisted.

"How about if I mean it and I agree to let you drive Saturday?"

I considered, and decided it was probably the best offer I would get. "Deal.”

"Then I'm very sorry I upset you." His eyes burned with sincerity for a moment and then turned playful. "And I'll be on your doorstep bright and early Saturday morning."

"Um… it doesn't help with the Jaeduck situation if an unexplained Volvo is left in the driveway."

His smile was condescending now. "I wasn't intending to bring a car."

"How—"

He cut me off. "Don't worry about it. I'll be there, no car."

I did not understand. I did not want to understand. He’d proven his skills as a mind reader. Now tomorrow he would prove the whole vampire thing it seemed. The more I thought about it the more I would feel comfortable if Jungwon was talking about something. I slide in the cab of my bongo waiting as Jungwon slid in the passenger side. My eyes went to his poor Volvo sitting there. He would really leave it right there?

“I was wondering… about your reaction.”

"Did I frighten you?"

"No," I lied.

"I apologize for scaring you," he spoke with a smile, but then all evidence of teasing disappeared. "It’s just the very thought of you being there… while we hunted…" His jaw tightened.

"That would be bad?"

He spoke from between clenched teeth. "Extremely."

"Because... ?"

He took a deep breath and stared through the windshield at the thick, rolling clouds that seemed to press down, almost within reach.

"When we hunt," he spoke slowly, "we give ourselves over to our senses... Especially our sense of smell. If you were anywhere near me when I lost control that way..."

I kept my expression firmly under control. My face gave nothing away. I was waiting for him to leave so that he could go to his car. But he seemed set on riding with me. So I started up the car with the intent to head home. Jungwon flashed me a smile before sliding out of the car. I drove off the moment he was clear of my path. Without a doubt I’d be able to head home and talk things over with Jaeduck. I would be able to get the help that I would need.

That night Jungwon was in my dreams once again. My dreams took a very, very drastic shift this night. I tossed and turned restlessly waking often. It’s only in the early hours of the morning that I finally sank into an exhausted, dreamless sleep.

 

When I woke the next day, I was still tired. I imagine it’s cause of my dreams. I pulled on my brown turtleneck and some skinny jeans. Jaeduck didn’t let me cook this morning and made some eggs for himself. I had a bowl of cereal cause I felt bad asking him to cook for me.

"About this Saturday..." he began, walking across the kitchen and turning on the faucet.

I cringed. "Yes, Dad?"

"Are you still set on going to Seoul?" he asked.

"That was the plan." I grimaced.

"And you're sure you can't make it back in time for the dance, party thing?"

"I'm not going, Dad." I glared.

"Didn't anyone ask you?" he asked, trying to hide his concern.

I sidestepped the minefield. "It's a girl's choice. Can only go if a girl picks you. Something about controlling the crowd or… something."

"Oh." He frowned.

Jaeduck left with a goodbye wave. I went upstairs to brush my teeth and gather my books. When I heard the cruiser pull away, I remembered I was suppose to talk to him about about Jungwon. Why had I’d forgotten? Great. Now I’m not gonna get some help. A revving engine told me that Jungwon was outside for sure. A quick peek out of my window only confirmed it. The silver car was already there, waiting in Jaeduck's spot on the driveway. 

He waited in the car watching as I shut the door behind me. I can do this. I walked to the car only pausing as my body tried to stop me. He was smiling and as usual perfect and beautiful to an excruciating degree. I slid into the car.

"Good morning." His voice was silky. "How are you today?" His eyes roamed over my face, as if his question was something more than simple courtesy.

"Good, thank you."

"You look tired."

"I couldn't sleep," I confessed.

"Neither could I," he teased as he started the engine. I stayed quiet as he drove away from my house. Brain you have to remember to talk to Jaeduck later. I need to warn him. I need to tell someone about how things were going. I have to…

“I suppose I slept just a little bit more than you did."

"I'd wager you did."

"So what did you do last night?" I asked.

He chuckled. "Not a chance. It's my day to ask questions."

"Oh, that's right. What do you want to know?"

"What's your favorite color?" he asked, his face grave.

I rolled my eyes. "It changes from day to day."

"What's your favorite color today?" He was still solemn.

"Probably brown." I tended to dress according to my mood.

He snorted, dropping his serious expression. "Brown?" he asked skeptically.

"Sure. Brown is warm," I said.

Jungwon considered for a moment, staring into my eyes. "You're right. Brown is warm." He reached over sweep my hair back and over my shoulder. Oh. We were at the school. He turned back to me as he pulled into a parking space. "What music is in your CD player right now?"

I realized I'd never removed the CD Alex had given me. When I said the name of the band, he smiled crookedly, a peculiar expression in his eyes. He flipped open a compartment under his car's CD player, pulled out one of thirty or so CDs that were jammed into the small space, and handed it to me,

"Debussy to this?" He raised an eyebrow.

It was the same CD. I examined the familiar cover art.

It continued like that for the rest of the day. While he walked me to English, when he met me after Spanish, all through the lunch hour, he questioned me relentlessly about every insignificant detail of my existence. Movies I'd liked and hated, the few places I'd been and the many places I wanted to go, and books.

I couldn't remember the last time I'd talked so much. More often than not, I felt I must be boring him. Although the look on his face and his never-ending stream of questions compelled me to continue. Mostly his questions were easy. A few did make me blush which brought on a whole new round of questions. It was almost enough to forget he admitted to stalking me.

Such as the time he asked my favorite gemstone and I blurted out topaz. He'd been flinging questions at me with such speed that I felt like I was taking one of those psychiatric tests where you answer with the first word that comes to mind. I was sure he would have continued down whatever mental list he was following, except for the blush. My face reddened. Until very recently, my favorite gemstone was garnet. It’s impossible staring into his topaz eyes not to remember why. He wouldn't rest until I'd admitted why.

"Tell me," he commanded.

"It's the color of your eyes today," I sighed. "I suppose… if you asked me in two weeks I'd say… onyx."

His pause was very short.

"What kinds of flowers do you prefer?" he fired off.

I sighed in relief, and continued with the psychoanalysis.

Biology was a complication again. Jungwon had continued with his quizzing up until Mr. Byun entered the room, dragging the audiovisual frame again. As the teacher approached the light switch, I noticed Jungwon slide his chair slightly farther away from mine. It didn't help.

I leaned forward on the table, resting my chin on my folded arms, my hidden fingers gripping the table's edge. I didn't look at him, afraid that if he was looking at me. I sincerely tried to watch the movie but at the end of the hour I had no idea what I'd just seen. I sighed in relief again when Mr. Byun turned the lights on, finally glancing at Jungwon; he was looking at me.

He rose in silence and then stood waiting for me. We walked toward the gym in silence, like yesterday. And, also like yesterday, he touched my face wordlessly before he turned and walked away. I wasn’t as stunned by it today. It felt… weird.

Gym passed quickly as I watched Changbin's one-man badminton show. He didn't speak to me today, either in response to my vacant expression or because he was still angry about our squabble yesterday. Somewhere, in a corner of my mind, I felt bad about that. But I couldn't concentrate on him.

I hurried to change after class. Some part of me still wanting to do what Jungwon wanted and I had no clue if it was cause he was pretty or cause he’d proved that he was a mind reader. If he’s a mind reader then maybe his vampire claims… 

The pressure made me more clumsy than usual but eventually I made it out the door. He smiled in reaction before launching into more cross-examination. His questions were different now, though, not as easily answered. He wanted to know what I missed about home, insisting on descriptions of anything he wasn't familiar with. We sat in front of Jaeduck's house for hours, as the sky darkened and rain plummeted around us in a sudden deluge.

His probing questions kept me talking freely and forgetting in the dim light of the storm to be embarrassed for be the subject of the conversation. Finally, when I had finished detailing my cluttered room at home, he paused instead of responding with another question.

"Are you finished?" I asked.

"Not even close! Your father will be home soon though..."

"Jaeduck!" I sighed. "How late is it?"

"It's twilight," Jungwon murmured staring off into the distance. "It's the safest time of day for us," he said. "The easiest time. But also the saddest, in a way... the end of another day, the return of the night. Darkness is so predictable, don't you think?"

"I like the night. It’s so much prettier than the day." I frowned.

He laughed and the mood abruptly lightened.

"Jaeduck will be here in a few minutes. So, unless you want to tell him that you'll be with me Saturday..." He raised one eyebrow.

"Thanks, but no thanks." I gathered my books. Trying to stretch my limbs a bit more since I was stiff from sitting still so long. "So is it my turn tomorrow, then?"

"Certainly not!" His face tried hard to look outraged. "I told you I wasn't done, didn't I?"

"What more is there?"

"You'll find out tomorrow." He reached across to open my door for me, and his sudden proximity sent my heart into frenzied palpitations. His hand froze on the handle. "Not good," he muttered.

"What is it?"

He glanced at me for a brief second. "Another complication.”

He flung the door open in one swift movement, and then moved, almost cringed, swiftly away from me. The flash of headlights through the rain caught my attention as a dark car pulled up to the curb just a few feet away, facing us.

"Jaeduck's around the corner," he warned.

I hopped out at once despite my confusion and curiosity. The rain seemed louder as it glanced off my jacket. I tried to make out the shapes in the front seat of the other car, but it was too dark. I could see Jungwon still staring ahead, his gaze locked on something or someone I couldn't see. His expression a strange mix of frustration and defiance.

Then he revved the engine, and the tires squealed against the wet pavement. The Volvo was out of sight in seconds. The sound of Jinyoung chatting with Jaeduck let me know that it’s Jungkook and his dad come to watch a game no doubt.

"I didn't get a chance to talk to you tonight. How was your day?"

"Good." I hesitated with one foot on the first stair, searching for details I could safely share. "My badminton team won all four games."

"Wow, I didn't know you could play badminton."

"Well, actually I can't, but my partner is really good," I admitted.

"Who is it?" he asked with token interest.

"Um... Seo Changbin" I told him reluctantly.

"Oh yeah. …you said you were friends with the Seo kid. Nice family." Jaeduck mused. "Why didn't you ask him to that party thing this weekend?"

"Dad!" I groaned. "He's kind of dating my friend Jimin. Besides, you know I can't dance."

"Oh yeah," he muttered. Then he smiled at me apologetically. "So I guess it's good you'll be gone Saturday... I've made plans to go fishing with the guys from the station. The weather's supposed to be real warm. But if you wanted to put your trip off till someone could go with you. I'd stay home. I know I leave you here alone too much."

"Dad, you're doing a great job. You really are." I smiled. "I've never minded being alone. I'm too much like you." 

I winked at him and he smiled his crinkly-eyed smile. I slept better that night