First Sight

황혼 | Hwanghon

I didn’t know what to tell Jaeduck when I arrived at the airport. He took my bags. I expected him to be against talking to me or something but no. He seemed so happy for me to be here. Jaeduck took my meager bags and placed them into his truck. I’d planned to do it myself. I bet Eunji told him about what happened that led up to me being here. To my decision. Does he hate me as much as Eunji acted like she did? Will he really let me stay here if she tells him about me like she threatened?

“...got you a car. It was really cheap. Remember old Jinyoung? You used to play with his kids when you stayed here before.” Jaeduck kept trying to get me caught up on everything.

“Wait. Wait. You got me a car?”

“Of course. I mean Jinyoung said it could be a bit before it could be running properly plus I’ll have to help you get everything you need to be able to drive it when it comes time for that–”

I beamed at him, cutting him off. “Thank you so much!”

“You uh… Can’t you drive in America at your age?” He coughed. “You act like your mom didn’t get you a car already.”

“...That was Alex’s car.”

An uncomfortable silence grew between us. Jaeduck helped me into the car before getting in himself. Another thing that felt so strange. Eunji was never like this... He started to drive us away from the airport. If I remember right it’s a couple hour drive to the town where Jaeduck lives. It’s gonna . Especially if he keeps up his silent routine. Being left with my mind like this was too much. I… I wish he’d turn on the radio or something.

“Jinyoung will be at the house when we get there.”

“Cause of the car?” I said trying to keep the conversation going.

“Well that and he comes over to watch the game sometimes.” I nodded my head to show that I understood. “He’ll be bringing his son. He’s about your age.”

A guy. So he’ll allow me around guys? This is ok?

“Jungkook.” Jaeduck paused, “I just have to ask that you don’t stare at Jinyoung though. He got in an accident a few years back. He uh… lost his legs. Jungkook is how he gets around.”

“I won’t stare.”

The house came into view and it was not what I remembered. I suddenly longed for the weird American cookie-cutter housing that Eunji’s girlfriend got us. It looked like I’d gone back in time. The house had no height. It was all length and curved tile roof. I’d seen similar houses in anime that some weird guys thought I would like. 

We pull up to the house to see two people by the truck. I’d never seen a car like that. It looked as if a pickup truck and semi-truck had a baby. When I bugged Jaeduck about the car to explain it as he parked the car. He called it a …bongo? Once I got over the shock of the bongo I turned my attention to the two guys. Jaeduck did say that Jinyoung and Jungkook would be there. So they had to be them, right? I tried to focus on grabbing my bags but Jaeduck made me go say hi. 

“You guys didn’t wait long, did you?”

“Where am I gonna go? Especially with someone soooo eager to see Miyoung.”

Jungkook pins his dad with a look but Jaeduck distracts Jinyoung. The two start play fighting in the street which in a way I guess is kind of sweet. …Seeing one of my parents actually goofing off kind of felt nice. I wasn’t watching Jaeduck be prim and proper or tear someone else down. This was just Jaeduck having fun with his friend. A small chuckle next to me made a glance at him, at Jeon Jungkook. Milky white skin. Youthful face. A hint of piercings on his face if I could believe the mark by his mouth. A shaggy dark undercut. There even looked like a smear of color peeking out from his long-sleeved shirt. Did he have tattoos? 

A cough makes me look up at his face. Oh no. He’s staring at me. I look away as if he’d forget I was just staring if I wasn’t staring anymore. After a bit Jungkook coughs next to me once again.

“Hey Miyoung.” he smiles. “Do you remember me? I’m Jung—”

“Jungkook. I know. Hey.”

“Oh um… Did your dad tell you about the car?”

“He just said that he bought it.”

“Do you know the car type? Like I don’t know what you’re used to from America…”

I take a deep breath. “Jungkook… I literally just learned to drive in America before coming here. I only have the laws and stuff in my brain. I haven’t even gotten to sit in a driver's seat.”

Jungkook opened the driver's door gesturing to me. I glance at Jaeduck. 

“He can’t get mad at you sitting in the seat.”

I smile at Jungkook before rushing to his side and sitting in the seat. My hands run over the steering wheel. “This feels weird…”

“How so? Something off?” He tilted his head.

“Testing out the feel?”

My eyes widened and nearly landed face first trying to get out of the car quickly. I couldn’t look at Jaeduck. There was some laughter but it cut off quickly. “Why don’t you two go in ahead of us? I need to speak to Miyoung really quick.”

Jungkook mouths a quick apology as he helps Jinyoung into the house. There’s a long silence until Jaeduck puts his hand on my shoulder.

“Miyoung… you know that you don’t have to be afraid of me. I’m not sure what your mother told you about me but… you know that I want you here. I’m excited to get to know you. Especially without Eunji hovering over you like some… some…”

“Helicopter?”

He blinked at me. “Helicopter?”

“In America, it’s called helicopter parenting.” I hung my head.

“Cause all they do is hover.”

Jaeduck… laughed? Parents can do that? He helped me gather my bags leaving them by the door. We went to what I assume was the living room. There were some armchairs surrounding a large-screen television. I don’t remember those being in here. For some reason, I remember sitting on cushions on the floor… 

“Why don’t you get your things in your room while Jinyoung and I order out? Are you able to eat spicy foods yet?”

Jinyoung perked up. “Excuse me? What did that woman do to you?”

Jaeduck said nothing to defend Eunji but he winked at me. I snuck out of the room as Jinyoung continued his rant about my mother. My bags however were no longer by the door. They were in Jungkook’s hands and he was smiling at me. I rolled my eyes looking for the room I remember as mine. The house was different but the view would definitely be the same. It had to be. If it was then I’d book the first flirt home. I would gladly face that pain. My heart fluttered as I found it. My room. The large window took up nearly the whole of one wall. It looked out in the yard with a beautiful tree with a cozy forest in the distance. I didn’t care about the rest. Just that.

“Y-you can leave them there.”

“Noona… Are you… okay?”

I took a deep breath. “Yeah, I just… It’s been a while.”

He sets the bags on the floor. I could feel him looking at me. I didn’t know what to tell him so I didn’t say anything. I just started putting away my things. I left my stuff for the bathroom still in the bag since I was not bringing that stuff out in front of Jungkook. He stayed by the door leaning against the wall. Do I talk to him? Do I make him go? Like what do I do with him now? I open my mouth to try to speak to him when Jaeduck calls out. I knew I was blushing from the way Jungkook laughed. I tried very hard to ignore him. Jaeduck wasn’t gonna stop till we both showed up. I push on Jungkook’s arm. I thought it would be thicker. I thought with his tough guy looks he’d be buff. He wasn’t.

“What was that for?”

I ignore his whining and push past him. Jungkook chases after me I guess. Judging by the way his voice stays always behind me. Jaeduck pins me with a look. “And why did Jungkook have to go to your room with you?”

“That is weird,” I turned to him behind me. “Why did you have to help me?”

Jaeduck shifts his focus to Jungkook. The perfect chance to escape. I had to go to the kitchen to call my mother. She doesn’t answer but I have several messages on Instagram.

I thought I told you to message me when your plane touches down.

You’re not gonna let me know if you’re alive?

You better message me back before the night is over.

I type up a short message then delete that and settle for a simple; ok.

“So did your mother tell you anything about living here?”

Both Jungkook and Jinyoung look my way at Jaeduck’s question. 

“No. Mom just said it was going to be very different.” Not quite what she said but I’m not telling him the truth. He’ll get upset with her and then mom will just make me move back. I can’t go back right now. Jaeduck and Jinyoung huddled around the television with their chicken as Jungkook sits with me in the kitchen with our portion of the food.

“Are you going to miss your friends?”

I blinked looking at him. “Oh. Probably. I didn’t have many though.”

“Why not?”

“Uh… I just… didn’t.”

“...I’m being nosy, aren’t I? My bad. I just never met someone who's moved this far from home before.” He focused on eating. Not even looking at me. I sigh.

“I will miss them. But I had to move so it doesn’t matter. I’m here now. This is my home now.” I wasn’t lying. Everyone was looking at me like I was being weird or something. I know the truth though. “Will I see you at school?”

“Nah. My family doesn’t do school.”

“Awww. It would be nice to have a friend.”

“Shaman training and high school don’t mix well.” Jungkook refused to look at me as he spoke. I was prepared to ask why but he started to speak. “You and your new friends can always come to the beach on our property.”

The next morning Jaeduck gives me the address to the school and money for a taxi. I wanted to scream. Why couldn’t I just drive the damn car? It's so pointless to have it and not be allowed to use it. However, I did as I was told. I got there so late despite leaving when Jaeduck told me to. A grumpy teacher led me to the office I needed. The people in the office seemed quite upset by my presence. Most likely due to the whole being late thing. Once I explained who I was though they seemed to calm down a little bit. A few of the women in the room even seemed to become quite chill knowing I was Jaeduck’s daughter. Confusing but whatever. 

They helped me get everything situated. My first class was nearly over so I went to the next one ignoring that one. I seemed to sink into a routine. Go to class, introduce myself, meet people then go to the next and repeat it. The only highlight was Lee Felix who asked me to call him Yongbok and Jimin who was far more talkative than I. 

Both Jimin and Yongbok made me feel so ugly. Jimin is shorter than me with really pretty curls. The type of curls that always looked so gorgeous, so effortless despite the hours of work and multitude of products spent. The mole on her neck was the only thing close to a blemish on her pale skin. Her small round face looked so stereotypically cute that it hurt my teeth. Then there was Yongbok, he wasn’t as tall as some of the guys I’d seen here. However, his skin being tan was freckled. That I hadn’t seen much of here. His hair was a light brown as if he’d dyed it blonde and it’d faded. His voice was far deeper than I thought from looking at him. Although his face… his face seemed to be that perfect non-binary ratio. He was undoubtedly a guy but there was just the right amount of feminine features mixed in. 

When lunch rolled around Jimin led me to the cafeteria, straight to her table where her friends were waiting. I tried to chat with them however they didn’t seem too interested in talking to me. I didn’t push too hard. I only spoke when my opinion or input was asked for. It wasn’t much however I didn’t mind. 

It was then that I saw them.

The five of them, just sitting there. Not that I knew what else they could be doing in a school cafeteria. But there they were. Five supermodel-like beings. Just sitting there like it was normal to be that attractive. 

There were three guys and two girls. Of the three guys, one was taller than the other two and his muscular body screamed of a bodybuilder or gym rat with short dark hair. The taller of the short two was lean with short black hair. The last one was the shortest of all three and looked far younger than the other two guys. The girls were complete opposites of each other. One tall with her dark hair perfect wavy curls that reached the middle of her back. The other is short with small features on her small face and her short black hair styled in a bob.

I couldn’t look away. They were so beautiful. They all shared a look that screamed they’d been up for multiple days without sleep yet were so painfully beautiful. Almost like models or classic paintings. It tried to figure out who was the most beautiful. A futile as well as foolish task. Maybe the baby-face short guy or the tall girl. A very hard decision.

As I went back and forth trying to decide which one was more beautiful, the short girl got up, getting rid of the uneaten food on her plate. She moved so gracefully like a dancer. I watched her leave the cafeteria quickly. Glancing back the others didn’t seem to react or notice that one of their group left. You would think they would notice.

“Who are they?” One of the girls looked up to see who I meant. I believe her name was Dambi. The youngest, shortest guy looked at us as if I’d asked him directly. His dark eyes seemed to travel from Dambi to me then looked away.

“That’s Doctor Cha’s kids. Jungwon, Shownu, Hanse, and Dahee. The one who left is Boyoung.” She said under her breath.

I snuck a glance at the youngest-looking guy. He seemed to be picking at his food. I’d been so focused on their looks that I didn’t even notice they were eating. God, I’m so stupid. I do my best to not look over trying to be respectful. I wouldn’t want some stranger gawking at me while I’m eating so I should be respectful of him.

“They’re… they uh… look nice.” I wanted to die. Why was that how I said it? Who even talks like that? Oh my god. I hate my life.

“Yes!” Jimin giggled. “They’re all together though; Shownu and Dahee, Hanse and Boyoung, I mean. And they live together.”

“They don’t look related…”

“Only Hanse and Dahee are related. The rest are just adopted. Well, all are adopted but still…”

“They look a bit old to be foster kids.“

“Well, Mrs. Cha took them in when they were eight. She’s their aunt or something like that.”

“That’s so nice of them.”

“I guess so.” The way Jimin spoke about them made me feel really uncomfortable. She couldn’t be jealous right? Or was it anger? Although what could she be mad about? I mean it’s not like something happened to her involving their adoption right?  “I think… I think that Mrs. Cha can’t have any kids. Like why else would see adopt a bunch of kids?”

“Have they always lived here?” I tried to move things away from that topic.

“No,” she said with a tone. “They just moved down two years ago from somewhere in Alaska.”

I felt bad for them. They’re so clearly being treated as outsiders despite them being here for so much longer than me. I’ve been here for a day or so and people are welcoming me so easily. I look over at them just in time for the youngest-looking guy staring at me. His expression was filled with curiosity. I had to look away from him.

“Which one is that one?” I steal a look at him. His expression had changed. He looked upset, almost frustrated. I had to look away.

“That’s Jungwon. He’s gorgeous, of course, but don’t waste your time. He doesn’t date. I guess no one here is good enough for him.” She sniffed.

Now I felt bad for her too. She clearly had been rejected by him. Jimin seemed nice, gossiping aside. I glance back at Jungwon and think I can see him smiling. I think. The group as a whole got up to leave. I tried not to stare at them too much as they left. I wasn’t enjoying people so openly gawking at me so I shouldn’t do that to them. However, I did notice how graceful all of them were when they moved.

One of the people at Jimin’s table who introduced herself as Ari, we figured out that we have the next class together. I guess she was shy. I welcomed the silence either way. 

When I entered the room I paused looking for a free seat. Ari went to a table that already had someone at it. In fact, all the tables but one had two people at it. There sitting alone was Cha Jungwon. I went to the teacher to introduce myself and he gave me a book to send me to go sit by Jungwon. After all, there was only the seat open and it just so happened to be next to him. As I made my way towards said seat, I tripped over someone’s bag in the walkway. My hands darted out to catch myself. I ended up grabbing the edge of the table. The person sitting at the table that I was grasping to avoid smacking my head on the tile floor… giggled at me. They really ing giggled at me. When I stood up I caught sight of Jungwon’s eyes.

They were black, coal black.

The look those eyes gave me though. I looked down under the weight of that look. I’m not sure what about me tripping had made him so upset.

I didn’t look anywhere near him and focused on my textbook. Maybe if I ignored the way he’s behaving then I could make it through this class. Movement in the corner of my eye caught my attention. It was Jungwon. Jungwon had moved away from me. He’s acting like he smelled something bad. Jungwon wasn’t acting like this before I sat down. I tried to sniff myself to see if it was me making him react like that. My favorite floral shampoo was all I smelled. I’d thought that it was an innocent enough smell. My last resort was moving my hair till it mostly blocked him from my view. I felt a bit better having that in place so I turned my focus to taking notes. 

Although my curiosity got the better of me. I peeked at him a few times. I could see his hand on his leg clenched into a fist. All throughout class he never relaxed it or changed positions. Now that I was closer to him than when I first saw him I could tell that he wasn’t as small as I first thought. He had the long sleeves of his white shirt pushed up to his elbows showing off just how muscular he truly was.

The class seemed to take forever. Was the teacher doing this to me on purpose? Was it because this was towards the end of the day? I don’t get why he’s reacting to me like this. Did he do this to Jimin too? God, did he do this to every girl here? Maybe I’m imagining all this… I take another peek at Jungwon. He’s full-on glaring at me! Why is he looking at me like that? I flinch away from him before I can stop myself.

The bell rings and with that, Jungwon gets up leaving the room before everyone can react to it. I sat there trying to figure out just what happened. My hands clenched as I kept replaying it in my head. How could I upset him so much? What did I do?

“Aren’t you Jaeduck Hyung-nim’s daughter?” a male voice asked.

“Miyoung,” I corrected him.

“I’m Changbin.”

“Hi Changbin.”

“Do you need help finding your next class?”

“I’m going to the gym. I don’t want you to go out of your way…”

He smiles. “That’s my next class too.”

I walked with him to class. Luckily for me, Changbin talks a lot. He carried the conversation completely. Changbin told me about how he lived in another town for a few years. He also pointed out we shared another class. I felt bad for not noticing him earlier. Changbin’s so nice. I’ll have to make sure to remember for tomorrow.

“So… did you stab Cha Jungwon with a pencil or kill his cat? I’ve never seen him act like that.”

Damn. Of course, others had noticed it too. It’s a small school of course. . Maybe if I try to play dumb I can get out of this.

“Was that the guy who sat next to me?”

“Yep,” he said. “He looked like he was in pain or something.”

“I don’t know,” I responded. “I never spoke to him.”

“He’s a weird guy.” Changbin kept talking to me instead of heading into the locker room. “If I were lucky enough to sit by you, I would have talked to you.”

I gave him a look before ducking into the locker room. Changbin seemed really nice but very… friendly. It eased my nerves from Jungwon a little bit. Not fully though. The teacher gave me a uniform to wear so I could properly join things. Sadly the focus was volleyball.

When the bell rang at the end of the day, I went back to the office. I wanted to return some of the things that the office lady had given me. I should be able to make it around the school without the map now and asked about getting everything ready for my car. When I came to the office I noticed that the office lady seemed busy. I moved to the side to wait for her to finish with who she’s helping currently. It took me a second to realize that I knew that back. I knew the person she was helping. That was Cha Jungwon.

I was about to pull out my phone to text my mom when I noticed Jungwon arguing with her. He’s trying to get his biology changed to another time. Jungwon almost seemed desperate. I thought back to how Jimin had spoken of Jungwon and his family. Has someone said something like that to their faces? Or was it something worse? Hopefully, it wasn’t something like that.

The door opened, making a breeze whip around the room. The breeze made my hair swirl around my face. The person who walked in, handed over some paperwork and then left right away. Maybe I should just do what they did. It seems far more simple than waiting. I started to move when I noticed Jungwon. His back had tensed up before he slowly turned to give me a venom-filled glare. Such a hateful look on such a handsome face. Jungwon turns back to the lady.

“Never mind then,” he said quickly. “I can see that it’s impossible. Thank you so much for your help.” He turned and left without a look at me.

I went up to the desk to do what I needed wondering how I made such an attractive guy mad. I mean I just sat next to him. I didn’t even speak to him so why was he so mad at me?

“How was your first day?”

I lied. “Fine.