Open House and Open Hearts

Scrubs and Turnouts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The open house event at Seoul Central Fire Station was in full swing. It was a day where the department invites the public to visit the station and learn about the operations. According to the leaflet that the department gave out, there will be a guided tour of the facilities, equipment checks, demonstrations and even a meet and greet with the firefighters.

 

Families, children, and curious visitors bustled about, eager to learn about the world of firefighting. Although, some seems to only be there for the food and refreshments.

 

Tiffany, in her jeans and light jacket, stood at a distance. Observing the scene with keen interest, unnoticed by any of the firefighters. 

 

She was not even sure why she was there. Sunny and Yoona invited her to come along. 

 

Not invited, actually. 

 

She was forced to go there. Only for the two doctors to bail on her on the last second, Sunny claimed that she has an emergency surgery, and Yoona claimed that she has an upset stomach, which doesn't seem to be true since the woman was eating a whole pint of ice cream as she was saying that.

 

Tiffany would've gone back to the hospital, but she was already at the fire station when the two informed her so she thought she might as well see what was up with the open house.

 

She watched with admiration as the team of firefighters stood in the middle of the barn, in front of their firetrucks.

 

She couldn't help the grin that spread on her face when she saw a certain fire captain, dressed in her full firefighting gear, addressed the gathered crowd. "Welcome, everyone, to our open house! Thank you for taking the time to come here today. As part of our open house, we'll show you some essential firefighting skills and equipment that we hope one day can help you save another person's life."

 

The audience clapped their hands, including Tiffany, who had her eyes fixed on the captain.

 

"So, without further ado, let's do this!" Taeyeon yelled, grinning. "Let's start with a fire extinguisher demonstration."

 

The audience leaned in, their attention fully captivated by the fire captain. The grin on Tiffany's face didn't disappear as she watched Taeyeon interact with the crowd. She seemed like a natural leader, making even the youngest attendees feel at ease.

 

"Now," Taeyeon continued, "imagine there's a small fire in your home. What do you do?"

 

A young boy, enthusiastic and eager, raised his hand, and Taeyeon pointed at him. "Yes, little man, what would you do?"

 

The boy grinned, excited to participate. "I'd grab a fire extinguisher and use it to put out the fire!"

 

"Exactly!" Taeyeon beamed, handing a fire extinguisher to the boy, "Now, here's how you use it. Remember the acronym 'PASS.' Pull the pin, Aim the nozzle, Squeeze the handle, and Sweep from side to side."

 

Tiffany observed with fascination as the boy followed Taeyeon's instructions, extinguishing a pretend fire to cheers and claps from the crowd. 

 

Now, that's a new knowledge.

 

"Hey, Doc."

 

Tiffany, taking her eyes off of the fire captain, glanced at where the voice came from. She recognized the woman to be Sooyoung, one of Taeyeon's friends whom she met at the hospital the day Taeyeon was confined. 

 

"Hi, Sooyoung." She greeted.

 

"Are you here to support our fire captain?" Sooyoung teased, a sly grin on her face as she stood beside Tiffany.

 

Tiffany chuckled, feeling a bit flustered by the question. "I heard there's an open house, and I wanted to see what you all do here."

 

"You heard from...?" 

 

"Sunny and Yoona." Tiffany tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. "They were actually the ones that invited me but they went MIA last minute."

 

Sooyoung blinked. "Captain isn't the one that invited you?"

 

"Uhm, no?" 

 

"Wha---"

 

"The last time we talked was when she got discharged. That was about two weeks ago."

 

"B-but... but I gave her your number..."

 

"My number...?" Tiffany asked.

 

Sooyoung shook her head and smiled awkwardly. She wasn't meant for Tiffany to know that. "Nevermind." The glint came back on her eyes. "But! I'm sure it isn't just the firefighting that you're curious about. Am I right?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"You're curious about something else too! Or should I say... someone else?"

 

Tiffany's cheeks tinted with a hint of pink, "You firefighters and your wild imaginations."

 

Meanwhile, the clueless captain was preparing to demonstrate a lifting technique known as the "one-person lift," or commonly known as briday carry to the crowd. Taeyeon turned to Yuri and asked her to be the volunteer for the demonstration.

 

"Firefighter Yuri, I'll need you for the one-person lift. Can you please get over here?" Taeyeon instructed.

 

However, as Taeyeon was about to begin, Sooyoung couldn't resist the opportunity to involve Tiffany in the fun. She took Tiffany's hand and raised it, calling out to the crowd, shocking Tiffany who tried to get her hand out of Sooyoung's hold.

 

"Ladies and gentlemen," Sooyoung addressed the crowd and turned to Taeyeon, "and Captain, we have a special volunteer for our next demonstration!" 

 

Tiffany's eyes widened in surprise as the crowd's attention shifted towards her. She hadn't expected to be called out like this. She glanced at Taeyeon, who had a shocked expression on her face as she finally noticed Tiffany in the audience.

 

Sooyoung's grin grew wider, "Please give a warm welcome to Dr. Tiffany Hwang!"

 

Caught off guard, Tiffany didn't know how to react. She wanted to tell everyone that she hadn't volunteered for this, but before she could do so, the audience began to applaud, believing she was a willing participant.

 

Flustered, Tiffany decided to play along. She made her way to the front of the demonstration area, standing beside Taeyeon. The fire captain's face displayed a mix of surprise and awkwardness as they stood together.

 

Taeyeon cleared , trying to maintain her composure. "Well, it looks like we have our volunteer. Dr. Hwang, are you ready?"

 

Tiffany, not knowing what to do, just nodded. 

 

-------

 

Before starting the one-person lift, Taeyeon tried to explain the steps to the audience while feeling increasingly flustered by Tiffany's presence.

 

"S-so, uhm," she cleared .

 

This is bad. She cannot even address the crowd properly.

 

She didn't expect to see the doctor there. Especially since she failed to invite the doctor, like her team demanded her to. So it was a huge surprise to see the OB-GYN standing in front of her now, "volunteering" to perform.

 

Just gotta get this over with.

 

"We're gonna do something called a one-person lift. This is something we do when the person is light, like a child, and we can carry them this way for long distance."

 

Getting ready for the demonstration, she stepped closer to the doctor and in a whisper that only Tiffany can hear, asked, "Are you sure you are comfortable doing this?"

 

"Yes?" The doctor's confused expression almost made Taeyeon grin, if only she wasn't so nervous about what she's about to do.

 

"Are you aware of the one-person lift, Doc?"

 

The doctor shrugged, "I learned it in a certification for first-aid. We called it Lover's carry."

 

Taeyeon blinked.

 

"Look, Captain, let's just do it. It's not as if you haven't done that before."

 

"It's gonna be a little different. It's---"

 

"It's fi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter