Mistake and Another Mistake

Scrubs and Turnouts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon paced back and forth in the fire station as soon as they got back from a call, her face etched with frustration. She couldn't believe what had just happened. Mistakes had been made, and it had put her team at risk.

 

"Line up, everyone!" Taeyeon barked, her voice carrying the weight of her anger. The firefighters immediately snapped to attention, their expressions tense as they awaited her commands.

 

.

 

She began issuing orders, her words sharp and clipped. "What the hell happened there?!"

 

Everyone was silent. Taeyeon rarely gets angry, but when she does, everyone in her team knew that it wasn't something to be taken lightly.

 

"Lieutenant, report!" Taeyeon barked.

 

"A call for water is missed, Captain."

 

"A call for water is missed!" Taeyeon repeated. "You know every second counts because the fire can grow more than we can contain! It was a small structure fire, but look what happened!"

 

Taeyeon took a deep breath.

 

"We can't afford to make those kinds of mistakes out there. Lives are at stake, and we have to be better than this."

 

As she continued to lament, her team listened attentively, their faces showing a mix of remorse and determination.

 

"I can't believe what I just witnessed out there." She shook her head, evidently disappointed.

 

"Probie." She turned to Bambam, "You were the pump operator. Why did you miss the call for water?"

 

"I..." Bambam gulped, "M-my radio wasn't on the right channel, Captain."

 

Taeyon brushed a hand over her face. That was a stupid mistake that could've cost lives.

 

"How many times have I told you to check your equipment before responding to a call? Do you understand that you put the entire team at risk with your negligence?"

 

Bambam looked chastised, his face flushing with embarrassment. "I'm sorry, Captain. It won't happen again."

 

Taeyeon's voice didn't waver as she continued to reprimand him. "Sorry won't cut it. We can't afford 'won't happen again.' We need to be vigilant, every single time. Lives depend on it."

 

Taeyeon continued her stern reprimand, her voice echoing through the firehouse. "Every action you take affects the entire team, Probie. We're a unit, and we rely on each other to stay safe."

 

"Key had to run to you for water. And he found you hanging out with teenagers! On a call!"

 

"If you can't follow the protocols and respect your teammates, you don't belong here."

 

She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself, but her frustration was still evident. "You've got potential, but potential means nothing if you can't be responsible and disciplined."

 

"I expect better from you, Bambam. Now, get back to your duties and start showing some respect for this job and your colleagues."

 

The silence that followed was heavy, the young recruit chastened and the rest of the team somber. Taeyeon's anger had made her point clear, and it was up to Bambam to prove he could step up to the challenge and be a dependable firefighter.

 

If not, he does not belong in my team, Taeyeon thought.

 

She stormed into her office, her frustration still simmering. She slammed the door shut behind her, the sound echoing through the room.

 

As she leaned against the door, she tried to collect her thoughts and regain her composure.

 

Her outburst had been necessary to get through to Bambam, but it weighed heavily on her. She didn't like reprimanding the newbie, especially in front of the others, but it was something that needed to be done. She cared deeply about her team and their safety, and seeing a lack of discipline and respect had shaken her.

 

As she took a deep breath and rubbed her temples, Taeyeon couldn't help but feel the weight of her responsibilities as a captain. It wasn't always easy, but she was determined to lead her team to be the best they could be, even if it meant tough moments like this.

 

She went to her seat and closed her eyes when she heard a knock on her door.

 

"Come in."

 

Yuri took a cautious step into Taeyeon's office, noticing the fire captain's evident frustration. 

 

"Captain."

 

"Yes, Yuri?"

 

"Up for a talk?"

 

Taeyeon sighed and sat properly, she gestured for Yuri to take a seat which the firefighter did.

 

"That was a rough call." Yuri noted carefully.

 

"Which it shouldn't be as it was just a small structure fire." Taeyeon added.

 

Yuri nodded. "True. But it wasn't just Bambam's fault, Captain. A window on the second floor failed, air came in."

 

"I know that. But that doesn't mean Bambam has no fault. That is a huge mistake, Yuri."

 

"Yeah. I actually kinda panicked when there's no water coming from the hose line when I asked for it."

 

Yuri observed Taeyeon. She had seen Taeyeon angry before, but this seemed different. It felt like there was more to it than just Bambam's lack of discipline today.

 

Although, that was a really valid point to be angry about.

 

Something else seemed to be bothering the captain though.

 

"Is there else something on your mind?" She inquired.

 

Yuri saw Taeyeon hesitated, her anger simmering just beneath the surface. 

 

"It's just some station matters, Yuri. Nothing to worry about."

 

But as she said those words, Taeyeon's thoughts involuntarily drifted back to the hospital earlier that day. 

 

She went to the hospital to give Tiffany a cup of coffee before the start of her shift, but imagine her surprise when she saw somebody else doing that already.

 

She remembered seeing Dr. Nichkhun Horvejkul, Tiffany's colleague from the hospital, making what appeared to be advances toward Tiffany. It had fueled her anger, and she couldn't shake the image from her mind.

 

That wasn't the reason she was angry though. She would never put personal matters at work, especially since she's the Captain and her team's lives are at stake in every call she does.

 

"Can I talk to you as a friend though?" Taeyeon asked as her frustration reached its breaking point, and she couldn't hold back her emotions any longer. "Not related to the call."

 

Yuri nodded.

 

Taeyeon stood up, "I just can't shake it off." She exclaimed, her tone sharp with frustration. "I saw a doctor at the hospital today

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter