Accidents and Assistance

Scrubs and Turnouts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a quiet afternoon at the fire station. Taeyeon was trying to catch up on the paperwork she had on her desk. She was about to stand up to grab a bite on the beanery when the klaxon suddenly blared, shattering the tranquility. 

 

Kim Taeyeon has been a firefighter for more than 10 years now but her heart still races every time she has to rush to a scene. As she ran to the barn to the engine, her team followed close behind. The radio chatter revealed that it was a multiple vehicle collision, and the urgency in the dispatcher's voice hinted at the severity of the situation.

 

"Seoul Central, this is Dispatch. We have a report of a multiple vehicle collision at Cheongdam-dong. Respond immediately, over."

 

Taeyeon's experienced fingers swiftly adjusted the radio on her shoulder as she replied, "Copy that, Dispatch. En route to the scene, over."

 

As Taeyeon and her team arrived at the scene, the chaos was evident. Mangled cars, shattered glass, and a sense of panic filled the air. Taeyeon's training kicked in as she assessed the scene, her eyes scanning for potential hazards and victims in need of help.

 

"Captain Taeyeon, this is Dispatch. Just so you're aware, the local police department is also responding to the scene. Additional paramedics are also en route to assist, over."

 

Acknowledging the information, Taeyeon replied, "Copy that, Dispatch. We'll coordinate with PD and the additional paramedics, over."

 

The scene was a mess – a five vehicle collision had left a trail of destruction. Eight victims needed immediate medical attention. Taeyeon quickly assessed the situation, her voice authoritative as she delegated tasks to her team.

 

"Yuri, assess the woman in the blue sedan. Sooyoung, check on the driver of that black SUV. Leeteuk, focus on the overturned minivan there way back, there might be passengers trapped. Donghae, I need you to secure the area and make sure everyone stays at a safe distance. And Key, start a triage, please."

 

Her team sprang into action with their Captain's orders. Taeyeon's eyes scanned the wreckage, wondering what could've caused the collision and if there is something else that needed immediate attention. That's when she spotted a dangerous situation – there is a leaking gasoline from one of the vehicles.

Taeyeon's heart pumped at the potential for an explosion, her sense of urgency heightened.

 

"Yuri, report!"

 

"Getting the woman to triage now, Cap!"

 

"Come here quickly once you're done over there. We need to control that gasoline leak," Taeyeon commanded, her voice urgent. "And Donghae, evacuate everyone away from the scene, please. Nobody gets near!"

 

While Yuri rushed to help with the leak, Taeyeon quickly assessed the scene. Her eyes running from the nearest to the farthest area of the accidents, making sure no individual is near the scene in case of an ignition.

 

Across the street, her eyes landed on a familiar individual she recently came across.

 

Is that--- What is she doing here?

 

She watched for a bit as the woman approached one of the victims in an upturned minivan, where Leeteuk is. 

 

Yup. That's her. Dr. Tiffany Hwang 

 

The doctor's hands worked quickly, providing care to the victims and assessing their conditions. She is not in her usual pink scrubs though so Taeyeon knew that she wasn't called over for medical assistance. Taeyeon watched as the doctor calmly provided help despite the chaos around.

 

The doctor suddenly looked up as Taeyeon was watching the scene and her gaze locked onto Taeyeon's. 

 

The familiar gaze... Taeyeon cannot comprehend how she couldn't just be the one to look away first.

 

When the doctor brought back her attention to the victim without giving any acknowledgement to Taeyeon, she decided to approach the woman.

 

Here we go, Taeyeon braced herself, knowing it's not gonna be easy to talk to the doctor.

 

 "What are you doing here?" She asked, her tone direct.

 

She wanted to bite her tongue. That was a stupid thing to ask, especially since she just saw the doctor assisting the injured.

 

Tiffany didn't miss a beat, her hands still applying pressure to the man behind the minivan's wound. "I witnessed the accident. I'm a doctor, so I'm helping until the paramedics arrive."

 

Taeyeon's expression was guarded. "We have trained paramedics on the way. You're not part of the emergency response."

 

"And I'm a medical professional. I can provide immediate care until they arrive."

 

Their conflicting viewpoints hung in the air, their roles and approaches clash in the midst of the crisis. Again.

 

Taeyeon really have no time for this. There is an emergent situation that she really needs to address, and Taeyeon was determined to ensure that proper procedures were followed. Especially since it concerns safety.

 

"Dr. Hwang, there's leaking gasoline here. It's dangerous. You should step back," she insisted.

 

Tiffany's lips tightened, torn between her desire to help and the realization of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter