Chapter 6

The Start of Something New

Jake huffed out a quiet sigh as he listened to his professor drone on and on about whatever the subject of today's lesson was. Honestly he was anxious and jumpy, his attention not really there. One of his brothers was coming to visit, and he wasn't sure if Mujin had kept his promise to keep an eye on his brother or not. He just hoped so, otherwise his warnings about his father had fallen on deaf ears.

 

For now he just had to hope that Seungmin had heeded his warnings and had managed to find Mujin before their father had gotten in touch with him.

 

~

 

Jeonggeun opened the front door, blinking at who was standing there. “Seungmin?” Asked Jeonggeun.

 

“Thank god, I thought I had the wrong house,” commented Seungmin as he shook his head. “Is Jake in?” He asked.

 

“He's in class but I'll let him know you're here,” responded Jeonggeun before he moved to let Seungmin in before closing the door.

 

“Who's here?” Came Seoho's voice from the kitchen.

 

“It's Jake's older brother, Seungmin,” responded Jeonggeun as he led Seungmin into the kitchen.

 

“Ah, I'll let him know you're here,” Seoho reassured before going to do so, texting Jake on the tablet to make sure he knew that Seungmin was, in fact here.

 

~

 

Jake got the message and slumped in his chair in relief, choosing to pay more attention to the class as he didn't have to worry about his brother being targeted by their father anymore. He just had to wait until the rest of the classes were done before finally leaving and heading home for the weekend.

 

“Good news I'm guessing?” Asked Dongju who sat beside him taking notes while discreetly texting his brother and getting updates.

 

“Yeah,” sighed Jake as he leaned back in his chair, tapping his pen on the desk as quietly as possible to not draw attention to himself. “My older brother's here,” he explained, letting his pen drop from his hand onto the table with a small clang.

 

“That would explain Dongmyeong coming over from Japan with Mujin,” remarked Dongju as he responded to a text from his brother. “Can I come over?” He asked.

 

“Sure,” responded Jake as he nodded. “Seoho's making dinner though," he added, quietly snickering at Dongju's poorly disguised noise in disgust.

 

“I don't understand how you can stomach his cooking,” whined Dongju, answering a question their professor suddenly asked him to make sure they were paying attention.

 

“Usually I'm cooking,” mumbled Jake as he shook his head in amusement. “But this time Seoho's cooking due to the busy weekend I'll be having with the others, and my brother,” he explained.

 

“Right,” sighed Dongju as he nodded.

 

~

 

When Jake got home with Dongju after their classes were done for the day they were greeted by Seungmin and Jeonggeun having an intense battle of chess, the both of them staring at the board with looks of concentration on their faces.

 

“Who's winning?” Asked Jake as he went to observe the game. “Also Dongju's here,” he called out, getting Seoho and Dongmyeong's responses from the kitchen.

 

Dongju immediately went into the kitchen to see his brother after observing the game for a minute.

 

“I think we're at a stalemate right now,” responded Jeonggeun as he made a move, scoffing as Seungmin immediately countered him. “Well nevermind,” he grumbled, soon making another move.

 

Seungmin scoffs as the move Jeonggeun made before countering him and declaring a checkmate, smirking at Jeonggeun who looked offended at the board before huffing in defeat.

 

“It's good to see you again, Seungmin,” greeted Jake as Seungmin got up and turned to Jake.

 

“Same to you,” replied Seungmin before he pulled Jake into a hug, surprising Jake as he stood still for a second before returning the hug. “I'm proud of what you're doing to help us, okay?” He asked before pulling away, laughing at Jake's shocked expression.

 

“I thought you came here to tell me how stupid I was for doing what I'm doing?” Asked Jake as he shook his head in exasperation.

 

“Nah,” replied Seungmin as he shook his head. “Jeongwoo contacted me before you did, so I know what's going on back home even if I can't go see him as much as I wish I could,” he explained.

 

“Sadly I'm in the same boat,” sighed Jake as he rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. “But I know by the end of the school year I'm heading back,” he added. “I have to confront our father by that point,” he explained.

 

“Yeah, I'm looking forward to the day he learns he can't touch us,” remarked Seungmin as he nodded.

 

~

 

“Did you find your soulmate?” Asked Jake as they sat in the kitchen after dinner.

 

“I did!” responded Seungmin as he nodded. “Hyunjin is the most understanding person ever,” he sighed as he took a sip of his drink before putting it down. “We're taking things slowly right now, but I'm starting to see colors here and there,” he explained. “I recently found out that he's also starting to see them," he added.

 

“That's good,” commented Jake as he grinned in happiness.

 

“How about you?” Asked Seungmin. “Have you found yours?” He asked.

 

“No,” sighed Jake as he looked down at his wrist. “It's colored in though, so I know we've crossed paths before,” he added. “I just don't know who it is,” he explained.

 

“Interesting,” hummed Seungmin as he looked thoughtful. “I wonder who it is,” he mused, thinking of who they both knew.

 

“I'll be fine, I have to focus on other things at the moment,” dismissed Jake as he shook his head. “I'm sure they don't mind waiting a bit longer,” he added.

 

“Just don't keep them waiting for too long,” reminded Seungmin.

 

“I'll try not to,” responded Jake as he nodded in agreement.

 

~

 

Jeonggeun felt like an outsider looking into Jake's life as he spent time with his brother. He had to tag along of course, for he was Jake's responsibility, but sometimes he wished that Jake just handed him off to someone else for the day. He just felt like a third wheel, even if Jake did include him in every conversation to not feel left out.

 

“I guess this is my life now,” grumbled Jeonggeun as he watched the two brothers playfully bicker on where to eat lunch.