Chapter 5

The Start of Something New

“Jake,” started Dann as he turned to Jake who stared right back at him. “Take Jeonggeun out please?” He asked. “This is something that neither of you need to witness,” he explained. “Well, Jeonggeun doesn't,” he explained. “You will get your chance I'm sure,” he added.

 

Jake bowed his head before turning to Jeonggeun who stood in the kitchen doorway trying to keep the look of fear off his face. It seemed to not be working though, as Jake could tell from his posture. “Come on Jeonggeun,” commanded Jake before he walked towards the backdoor. Jeonggeun followed after him, pausing to listen to Dann as he spoke once more.

 

“Now, time for your execution,” commented Dann as Jeonggeun hurriedly closed the door behind him.

 

~

 

“Is this what everyone goes through?” Asked Jeonggeun as he flopped down in one of the lawnchairs in the backyard. “Is that what Yeonjun was out doing with Ivan?” He asked.

 

“Probably,” responded Jake as he shrugged, sitting down next to Jeonggeun in another chair.

 

“Will you end up doing this too?” Asked Jeonggeun.

 

“I think so, but Allen is Hwon's main guard,” responded Jake.

 

“There's not much you can do right now though,” remarked Jeonggeun as he looked thoughtful.

 

“No, not when I'm keeping an eye on you,” responded Jake as he looked down at his phone when it pinged.

 

“Who is it?” Asked Jeonggeun as he turned to Jake.

 

“It's Sunghoon,” responded Jake as he got up, walking over to the back gate to open it and let Sunghoon in.

 

“Dann told me to go around back,” mumbled Sunghoon as he walked into the backyard.

 

“Sorry, I found someone who was sentenced to die,” explained Jake as he led Sunghoon over to the lawn chairs.

 

“I see,” sighed Sunghoon as he flopped down in a chair, huffing out another sigh as he got comfortable.

 

“Are you okay? How's things at the dorms?” Asked Jake as he examined Sunghoon with a concerned look after sitting down.

 

“I'm fine,” reassured Sunghoon as he nodded his head. “Dongju being at our dorms has been quite the experience,” he added. 

 

“I heard Dongju tends to cause a ruckus,” remarked Jake.

 

“Only when really excited,” explained Sunghoon. “He's actually pretty chill most of the time,” he added.

 

“Any new people lately? Other than Dongju of course,” inquired Jake.

 

“Chanyoung joined us, but that's it,” responded Sunghoon as he shrugged. “How's life in the guard so far?” He asked.

 

“It's alright,” responded Jake as he shrugged. “Hwon doesn't need me for much right now due to finishing school and all that,” he explained. “Though afterwards is another thing entirely, who knows what I'll end up doing,” he mused, looking thoughtful.

 

Jeonggeun tried to understand the conversation to the best of his ability, his head tilting to the side in thought as he leaned forward in his chair. He could understand something about someone named Dongju and someone else named Chanyoung but that was about it. Maybe something about school and Hwon? “Ah,” he mused to himself, leaning back and shaking his head at Jake and Sunghoon who turned their heads to look at him.

 

“I forgot that he doesn't speak much Korean,” sighed Jake as he slapped his forehead in frustration. “I'm sorry,” he apologized, switching to English as he turned to Jeonggeun as he let his hand fall to his side. “It's out of habit, I'm sure you understand that,” he explained.

 

“No no, it's okay,” reassured Jeonggeun. “I'm picking up on more of the conversations now, but I don't think I'll be able to have a full conversation yet,” he explained.

 

“I wish I learned to speak more English, now I feel bad,” commented Sunghoon as he rubbed the back of his neck with his hand.

 

“Don't feel bad," reassured Jake as he turned to Sunghoon, speaking Korean again. “This can't be helped right now,” he explained. “For now we can deal with this,” he added.

 

Everyone turned when the back door opened and Dann stepped outside with his hands in his pockets, letting the screen door close behind him. “Sorry about that,” he apologized with a sheepish grin. “He was an unexpected find, I'm surprised he managed to stay low for as long as he did,” he explained.

 

“I was surprised to see one of the people on the run here in Seoul, I thought he'd be somewhere more obscure,” remarked Jake as he looked thoughtful. “But enough about him,” he dismissed, shaking his head. “Is there anyone else?” He asked.

 

“I'd say, but his relative is here,” replied Dann as he walked over, standing next to Jeonggeun, putting a hand on the back of his chair, with Jeonggeun blinking in confusion as he turned to Dann before turning to Jake.

 

“Ah,” hummed Jake as he nodded in understanding.

 

“How are you holding up, Sunghoon?” Asked Dann as he turned to Sunghoon.

 

“I could be better,” replied Sunghoon as he shook his head. “But I needed a break for a few hours from the dorms, I hope you don't mind,” he explained as he looked up at Dann.

 

“I don't mind,” reassured Dann as he nodded in confirmation. “Sometimes you just need to get away from everything, so it's understandable,” he explained. “Stay as long as you need,” he added.

 

“Thank you,” mumbled Sunghoon as he nodded his head.

 

“I must get going, Soobin will be out to check on you soon,” Dann said in farewell before turning and leaving.

 

~

 

Soobin came outside a few minutes later in new clothes, fixing the sleeve on his shirt as he went to join the others in the backyard. “Hello everyone,” he greeted as he sat down beside Sunghoon.

 

“Hey Soobs,” greeted Jake. Sunghoon nodded in greeting while Jeonggeun bowed his head at Soobin.

 

“What's up with you guys?” Asked Soobin.

 

“We've been here hanging out, Sunghoon needed a break,” replied Jake as he shrugged his shoulders. “Jeonggeun can barely understand our conversations but,” he added with a shrug.

 

Jeonggeun blinked at his name being called, turning to Jake who shook his head at him. “I'm still learning okay?” He grumbled with a small pout, figuring it was the lack of understanding of the Korean language despite taking classes to try to speak and understand more Korean.