Chapter 18

The Start of Something New

Jeonggeun walked over when he noticed that Jeongwoo was standing outside the room, figuring that Jake was still in the room with unfinished business. “I'm surprised they let you out,” he remarked with his head tilting to the side in question. “I suppose whatever's happening now is expected at this point,” he mused, humming in thought.

 

Jeongwoo turned to look at Jeonggeun, shrugging at him before turning back to look at the door.

 

“Right, you don't speak,” grumbled Jeonggeun before he went to stand beside Jeongwoo, leaning against the wall.

 

~

 

Jake stared down his father, keeping a neutral stance for the moment as he studied his father's expression as he finally realized where he was.

 

“This would've never happened if you hadn't talked about what I did to keep food on the table,” spat Jake's father as he glared at Jake.

 

“You know that wasn't even me that brought it up,” reminded Jake as he shook his head. “Hwon was the one who brought that up, and the debt that you've gotten over the years for your crimes is punishable by death,” he added.

 

“And here I thought you'd be a good son and let me be immune from the debt,” spat Jake's father.

 

“You know, I thought about it, until I found out that you ran an illegal business of setting up soulmates for them to reject each other,” spat Jake as he nearly lost his cool. He took a deep breath before continuing. “You caused a friend's soulmate's death for your actions you know,” he snapped, reeling in his anger when he took a step back.

 

“Chanyoung has to deal with the consequences of your actions,” remarked Hwon as he put a gentle hand on Jake's shoulder. “And for the price of that his soulmate's killer was also apprehended for what he had done,” he added before turning and walking back to his desk. He reached under it and grabbed the sword he kept for occasions like this, walking back over and handing the sword to Jake.

 

Jake was careful as he took the sword by the handle, giving it a test swing as he made sure to not hit anything with it. He let it rest at his side as he turned back to his father.

 

“Not only is this an execution of your father, but it is also a test for you,” started Hwon as he stood beside Jake. “Will you make the killing blow for the crimes your father committed or will you let him walk free?” He asked.

 

“Well, I know I will end up killing someone at some point,” commented Jake as he looked thoughtful. “But am I even ready for something like that?” He asked.

 

“Are you?” Asked Hwon as he waited, seeing what Jake would do.

 

“Do it, you won't you coward,” spat Jake's father.

 

“Am I a coward to not kill someone?” Asked Jake as he shook his head. “I know I won't ever be able to kill a person, not without a reason that justifies it from my perspective,” he explained. “So, no I won't kill you,” he added, handing the sword back to Hwon. “It doesn't mean I won't kill in the future, but for today I can't kill someone,” he explained.

 

“You are dismissed then, Jake,” dismissed Hwon as he took the sword back and moved away.

 

“Thank you," mumbled Jake before he walked towards the door, opening it and leaving the room before closing the door behind him.

 

~

 

Jeongwoo immediately tackled Jake when he was sure it was okay to, whimpering in worry as he wrapped his arms around Jake in a hug.

 

“I'm okay,” reassured Jake as he reached up and returned the hug. “I'm okay,” he repeated, patting Jeongwoo on the shoulder before pulling away.

 

Jeongwoo looked down at Jake with a questioning look, his eyebrows furrowing in question.

 

“Let's head back to our rooms yeah?" Asked Jake as he turned to Jeonggeun who nodded in agreement.

 

“Yeah, let's go,” agreed Jeonggeun as he nodded again, turning and heading back to the residential area of the building. Jake and Jeongwoo followed after him.

 

~

 

Jeongwoo turned to Jake once they were outside his room, looking hesitant to go back into his room.

 

“It's okay,” reassured Jake. “You know where we are, and you'll be fine, okay?” He asked. “Nothing is going to happen to you on my watch,” he added.

 

Jeongwoo eventually nodded, turning and opening the door before entering his room and closing the door behind him.

 

“Will he be okay by himself?” Asked Jeonggeun as he turned to Jake who turned to look at Jeonggeun.

 

“Yeah, he'll be fine,” responded Jake as he nodded his head. “He knows to find me if he needs to,” he added, turning and walking down the hall to his room. Jeonggeun followed after him, the both of them entering their rooms after saying goodbye to each other.

 

~

 

“Hey, is Chanyoung around?” Asked Jake as he got a video call from Seoho back in Korea.

 

He is not, but I can pass on a message for you," responded Seoho as he shook his head. “He said something about getting registered for his classes or something,” he added with a shrug.

 

“Ah, I see,” hummed Jake as he nodded. “It's fine, I was just wondering, because Jeongwoo may end up coming back with me to Korea,” he explained. “Things are going smoothly over here, Hwon seems to be okay with my decision to not kill anyone yet,” he added.

 

Hwon may seem cold hearted sometimes, but even know he won't make you kill anyone on purpose,” reassured Seoho as he nodded his head. “If he did, I don't think you would've had gotten into the guard in the first place,” he added. “The killings is saved for those immortal, because we don't have to worry about getting killed ourselves,” he explained.

 

“Wait, so I won't be doing any killing at all?” Asked Jake, to make sure he understood what Seoho was explaining.

 

Correct, because sometimes something could go wrong and you end up getting injured or killed in action or something like that,” explained Seoho as he nodded his head.

 

“Huh, interesting,” hummed Jake as he thought about it.

 

So what did you want me to pass onto Chanyoung?” Asked Seoho as he changed the subject.

 

“Ah, I wanted him to know I may have found a new friend for Seobin,” responded Jake as he nodded his head. “Granted, Seobin is okay with making a new friend,” he added. “Because even Jeongwoo is a bit hesitant to make friends because he can't speak,” he explained.

 

Yeah, I'll let him know,” responded Seoho as he nodded. “We'll see you in a few months yeah?” He asked.

 

“Of course,” responded Jake as he nodded. “We'll see you then,” he said in goodbye before ending the call.