Wings

The Nine Lives of SNSD

As a V.I.P., I got many privileges everywhere I went. Most of the time, they are free of charge. I mean, me being there pretty much pays for itself.

 

I mean, I’m the Yuri, after all.

 

So, naturally, I get special treatments at airports. My manager was able to check in my bags at a private desk reserved for people like me. I was amazed at how efficiently the airline people worked to ensure my privacy, seeing at this was a public event and anyone who cared to know would know where I was.

 

I was on a fan-dedicated tour for my latest drama. The agency had released all information regarding where I would be and what flights I would take and soon enough every flight was booked, completely filled with my fans. I say “my fans”, because I was the lead actress in the drama and most of the views were given to me by SONEs and Yurisistables. Huh, most of the fans were probably Yurisistables since SNSD went to the dogs. And frankly, I’m glad it did. We were going nowhere as a group.

 

SNSD was on the verge of break up it’s entire existence. It was only thanks to member like me, the backbone of SNSD, that we stayed glued together for as long as we did. When we did break up however, I felt like I broke through. It was amazing and I couldn’t be happier.

 

I was relaxing in a private airport lounge designated for V.I.Ps like me. I closed my eyes and started thinking about her. The most important person in my life.

 

Now. I was not lesbian. I was for sure not lesbian. I swear to you that I was not lesbian. However, now that I think about it, I wasn’t straight either.

 

And no I wasn’t biual.

 

So if I wasn’t homoual, or heteroual, or even biual, what was I?

 

I was Yoonaual.

 

Words cannot describe how much I loved Yoona. I have never loved anyone the way I loved Yoona. I could have loved her like a sister, or a friend, or even a lover. My love for Yoona had so many aspects. I would have loved Yoona no matter if I were a woman, a man, or even a frog. That’s how strong my love for her was.

 

She didn’t know, of course. I mean, she knew I loved her, but she just didn’t know how intensely. After SNSD’s breakup, I only kept in touch with her and she only kept in touch with me. That was probably the only good thing about SNSD, me and Yoona becoming as close as we were.

 

For me, it was always about Yoona. Every second of my life, from the moment I laid eyes on her, was engulfed in Yoona. I knew she was the one. Maybe I didn’t know exactly what she was the one for, but I knew that she was the one. 

 

My mind suddenly drifted off one of my favorite memories of her.

 

SNSD was having a campfire and soon after dozens of s’mores and chicken legs, everyone had fallen asleep. Everyone...except me. I watched Yoona, who I made sure was sitting next to me, slump onto Jessica’s shoulder. Jealousy filled me, but I didn’t move her, for fear that I would disturb her in her graceful sleep.

 

Instead, I tried to focus on her beautiful features. Soon, I was drunk from fondness became quite drowsy. My eyes were threatening to shut tight, but I was intent on staring at Yoona.

 

And then the most miraculous thing happened. Yoona stirred in her sleep and fell into my lap. My fatigue left me instantly and I was soon filled with ardor and happiness. Damn, she looked even more beautiful up close. My heart started racing and it was then I had decided.

 

Yoona was the one. Yoona had always been the one. Yoona would always be the one.

 

So, it was there, around a warm fire and seven other unconscious girls, where I had made the most important promise of my life.

 

“Yoona, I’ll always be the wind blowing by your side.”

 

“Yoona, I’ll always be the evening sun beside you.”

 

“If you become my wings, I can fly high into the sky.”

 

And then I too fell asleep.

 

“Ma’am. Excuse me. It’s time for you to board your flight. The rest of the passengers will be boarding soon.”

 

Damn bit ch knocked me out of my daydreams.

 

“Okay, okay. Lead the way.” I said, grabbing my purse.

 

We passed through airport security in a breeze and I soon found myself in prestige class, waiting for the fans to board and the flight to start.

 

“Flight 349. JFK to IAA is now boarding”, the loudspeaker said and I mentally slapped myself for only now realizing that I was finally going home.

 

Yoona, here I come.

 

With my earphones plugged in and my iPod playing every song that wasn’t SNSD, I watched as the other passengers poured in.  

 

But something was off, instead of having the normal ear-to-ear grins that the fans usually had, everyone looked rather depressed. Maybe that was the American style? I didn’t know, so I ended up ignoring it.

 

Of course, no one knew where I was, as I was wearing a simple disguise and there were several posers placed accordingly on the plane as to protect me from those over obsessed fans who would kill their mothers just to collect a drop of my piss. I would eventually reveal myself in the middle of the flight, but for now, I was hidden.

 

I started watching a movie, but was soon interrupted when the pilot started his pre-flight ramble.

 

I lost interest at “Welcome aboard” and switched my iPod on again.

 

Screw the no electronics rule.

 

I felt the plane speed up and takeoff.

 

It wasn’t until we were about five minutes in the air when my movie turned back on. I was glad I could watch it again, but unfortunately was interrupted again.

 

The girl sitting in the seat closest to mine had burst into tears.

 

I watched her for about a minute before finally losing my patience.

 

“WILL YOU SHUT UP ALREADY?” I yelled in an airplane voice, making sure that no one but her would hear me.

 

The girl looked at me with a disgusted face.

 

“How dare you tell me to shut up? We are on Yuri’s flight. Do you know how much she probably is suffering right now? How can you try and tell me to stop grieving with her? Imagine how she feels!”, she shot back.

 

I was confused, so out of impulse I ripped my sunglasses off.

 

The girl gasped.

 

“What exactly happened that would make me grieve right now?”, I asked.

 

“Yuri! I’m sorry! I didn’t know it was you!”, she stuttered.

 

“Yea, girl. I got that. Now tell me, what am I supposed to be suffering for right now?”, I asked again.

 

“I’m sorry. I thought you had already heard!”, the tears started streaming down her blasted cheeks once again.

 

“NEVERMIND THAT AND TELL ME WHAT HAVEN’T I HEARD?”, I spat.

 

The girl took a deep breath.

 

“Yoona is dead.”

 

The world spun out of control. I grabbed my complimentary barf bag just in time to see the contents of my stomach spill out in an acidy mess.

 

“What did you say?”, I whispered, hoping what I had heard wasn’t what I had heard.

 

“Yoona was found dead a few hours ago. They think she was murdered.”

 

“WHAT? No. No. You’re lying! She’s not dead. She can’t be dead.”

 

“I’m so sorry. But it was confirmed. Here. It’s on the news now”, the girl said, handing me her phone.

 

I stared at the tiny screen, and I felt my stomach twisting inside me.

 

“Breaking New: Well know actress and singer, Im Yoona, was found dead on a sidewalk in north Busan. Police have refused to talk, but witnesses confirm that the body was bloody and covered in stiches. An investigation is underway.”

 

I couldn’t believe it. This wasn’t true. Nope. I refused to believe it.

 

But I couldn’t just ignore what was right in front of me.

 

My Yoona was dead.

 

No.

 

No.

 

No.


NO!

 

This was crazy.

 

I threw the phone back at the girl and jumped out of my seat. I ran down the aisle.

 

“WHO DID IT? WHO KILLED HER?”, I yelled.

 

The passengers looked utterly scared to me, but I didn’t give two s h its.

 

“WELL? WAS IT ONE OF YOU? WERE YOU JEALOUS OF MY LOVE FOR YOONA? DID YOU WANT ME FOR YOURSELVES? DID YOU WANT HER? HOW COULD YOU KILL HER?”, I was screaming my head off.

 

It was a young boy who spoke.

 

“None of us, Yuri Noona. I promise you. They just killed her. It wasn’t any of us. But I promise, if no one finds the evil person, I will. I will and I will inflict on them everything they did on Yoona Noona. Don’t worry Noona, you still have us.” He said to me.

 

I just fell down.

 

Even if I have everything, without you by my side, everything will collapse.

 

“Who did it?”, I chocked out. “Who?”

 

No one answered me this time.

 

I sat on the floor of the airplane, and cried my eyes out for what felt like decades.

 

Now, you’re not by my side. The tears like rain won’t stop.

 

My Yoona was gone. The only one for me was gone. If she was gone, I was gone.

 

I was gone.

 

I slowly stumbled my way up. I could feel millions of eyes on me, but I ignored them. There was a splitting pain in the back of my head and I couldn’t concentrate. I couldn’t focus. And I wasn’t thinking.

 

So I can’t tell you how I managed to get myself into the cockpit and have both of the pilots at gunpoint.

 

Before you ask, let me explain. As a V.I.P, I am allowed to have a firearm with me at all times, as it is for my own protection. Obviously, it’s a very tiny firearm that usually only inflicts enough damage to defend, not to kill. Usually.

 

“How do you fly a plane?” I demanded, boring my eyes into the lead pilot’s terrified ones.

 

“It’s rather simple.”, he stuttered. “You just have to control the yoke. Everything else is computerized and controlled from the airport. I could show you-“.

 

“NO.” I thundered. “GET DOWN. BOTH OF YOU.” I demanded.

 

I saw the co-pilot inch his way toward the emergency button.

 

“OH NO YOU DON’T.” I yelled.

 

And then I shot him in the head. The other pilot squealed in shock.

 

I watched as the victim of my gun heaved in his last breaths before squirming to a stop.

 

There was no remorse in my eyes.

 

Instead, there was a fire starting. A fire for revenge.

 

“You’re next.”, I whispered in a deadly tone. ”Up against the wall.”

 

The pilot didn’t need to be told twice.

 

“How do you cut off communication to the airport?”, I demanded.

 

‘Y-you just p-press that -button and turn off t-the radio.” He stammered, pointing at the said button.

 

“Good. Thank you. Now, how do you communicate with the passengers?”

 

“You just f-flip that switch. P-please don’t kill me”, he begged, staring down the barrel of my gun.

 

And then my gun took him for its own.

 

I didn’t even flinch as I watched the bullet pierce his skull.

 

I kicked the bodies aside and sat down on the pilot seat, noting that the plane was currently on autopilot.

 

“Hmph. Lazy bit ches.”, I murmured as I deactivated the radio and cut communications.

 

And then I remembered Yoona.

 

I can’t turn back time, but give me one more chance. Yoona, I’m coming.

 

After I regained my composure, I flipped the switch the dead pilot had told me about seconds before his death.

 

“Ahem. It might benefit you to know that this plane has now been hijacked by yours truly. It might also benefit you to know that I am letting you all leave the plane if you want. The steward will do well to show you the nearest exits and might even show you how to jump. I’m sorry to say that I will not be landing the plane anytime soon, but you might want to get off while you still can. Thank you. That is all.”

 

Seconds later, I heard a banging on the cockpit door.

 

Too bad, bit ches, I locked it real tight. Good luck getting in.

 

And then I heard the screams. Everyone was screaming.

 

So I flipped the switch back on.

 

“There is no way you can stop me. So please stop your nonsensical screaming and get of the plane while you still can. I have no intention of hurting anyone, so this is why I have given you fair warning. As of right now we are just passing a very shallow, but large lake in Maine. You might want to jump now. You probably won’t get another chance like this. But, suit yourselves.”

 

At this point I had already decided that there was no point in living without my Yoona.

 

So I planned my death.

 

This world is too cold without you.

 

I had two choices. I could crash the plane on land, or I could crash the plane on water.

 

I choose water.

 

Swimming was Yoona’s favorite pastime. Water was the only thing she’d willingly drink. She would dance in the rain. She loved water.

 

Therefore, I would die in water.

 

So I waited and waited for the plane to reach the sea.

 

By this time, the smell of the dead bodies was getting overwhelming.

 

Overwhelming smells made me think more.

 

Did I really have the guts to kill myself?

 

Of course I did.

 

Then what the hell was holding me back?

 

It wasn’t until I realized that I was flying over the ocean that I figured that out.

 

The people on the plane were holding me back.

 

I knew that most of them were still sitting in the tiny seats, scared for their lives.

 

I couldn’t just kill them all with me.

 

Yoona wouldn’t want that.

 

So, suddenly, a third choice popped into my mind.

 

And I bolted for the door.

 

I cursed myself for putting such a tight block on the cockpit door and I found myself running back and forth, trying to keep the plane in the air and trying to open up the door for me.

 

When I finally had cleared the way, I pulled the yolk as far as it would go and ran out.

 

I was instantly greeted by the yells of the passengers.

 

“THERE SHE IS!”  “SOMEONE GRAB HER!” “LORD HELP UP!”  “GRAB HER JACKET. I ALWAYS WANTED THAT JACKET!” “OMG, IT’S YURI!”

 

“ALL OF YOU SHUT UP! SOMEONE GO MIND THE COCKPIT. THE PLANE CAN’T FLY ITSELF!” I screamed.

 

There was a commotion as the passengers searched for a pilot amongst themselves.

 

But I didn’t pay attention.

 

I lunged for the door.

 

And threw it open.

 

I don’t want to believe in today. I still want to live in an illusion where you will still be there tomorrow.

 

And then plunged right out of the plane.

 

I was numb to the falling; the only thing I thought of was Yoona.

 

Yoona, you are the only one who I’d put everything on the line for.

 

“Dear Yoona, I once promised you that I would be the wind blowing by your side. But now, you’re the wind blowing by my side.”, I gushed as the air slapped my face.

 

I could see the water as I dropped down the clouds.

 

“Dear Yoona, I once promised you that I would be the sun beside you, but now you are the warm sun protecting me from above.”, I breathed as the sun beat down on me.

 

I could smell the water as I descended, gaining velocity every second.

 

“Dear Yoona, I asked you to become my wings. If you became my wings, I could fly high into to sky.

 

The water was in an arms reach.

 

“DEAR YOONA, I TAKE THAT BACK!”, I screamed as the water took me in.

 

If you become my wings, I can fly forever.

 

 

BREAKING NEWS: Flight 330, headed to Seoul from New York, was allegedly hijacked this afternoon by Kwon Yuri. Reportedly, Kwon hijacked the plane after hearing that ex-band mate, Im Yoona, was found dead. She shot and killed both pilots and proceeded to control the plane herself. However, Kwon ended up jumping out of the plane to her presumed death. No other injuries were reported. Stay tuned to hear the latest news on this developing story.