Chapter 8

Angel of an Angel

 

“Daesung-ah!” Daesung removed the headphones from his head and looked as his sister.

“Yeah?”

“I haven’t seen HyeMi around since I came back. Is she busy?” Being a soldier, Daesung's sister got leave to come home. He knew it was for him but she didn't really put too much pressure on him to worry. 

“N…no. It’s just….” Daesung watched as his sister stalk toward him.

“Daesung-ah! Did something happen?”

“N…n…no!” Daesung turned red as he fumbled around with the music sheets in front of him.

“Daesung-ah! Tell noona the truth. Why are you ignoring HyeMi-yah?” Daesung sighed as he looked at his phone. The voice messages still remained stored on there and he listened to them every day, making sure to not let the mailbox get full. Each one of HyeMi’s messages were strength but heartbreaking. Each time he listened them him, Daesung wanted to call her back but he didn’t want her to worry or feel the pity from her.

“Noona…I can’t think,” Daesung felt her arms wrap around her. Even though he usually is embarrassed by show of affection from his sister, Daesung didn’t shun away.

“It’s going to be okay. Just breathe and let God give you wings.”

Daesung nodded as he patted her arms. All he could do was pray and think.

After some thinking, the clock ticked by and Daesung had thought of something. He stared at his phone. It was too late at night for a phone call. He decided on a text message. Hopefully tomorrow would bring about some relaxation and hope for him.

*****

HyeMi turned in her bed. After crying until the tears dried, HyeMi made her way back home and went straight to bed. JiEun found her there and didn’t distrub her for dinner. HyeMi didn’t want to look at her clock but she knew it was late. She tried to close her eyes again to sleep was distrubed by her phone receiving a message.

“Who is this?”

HyeMi. Let’s meet at Cheonggyesan around 6am.

-Daesung

HyeMi sat up quickly in her bed. In weeks, this was the first message she got from Daesung. Feelings ran wild in her and she couldn’t think of what to do. Looking at the clock, HyeMi saw that she had about 4 hours before she is was to meet with Daesung. She hopped up and got ready. As she did, she wondered why Cheonggyesan and also what they would talk about.