Chapter 5

Angel of an Angel

 

May 31, 2011

HyeMi was shaken awake by JiEun’s shaking and her calling her name. The night went by fast and she was still sleepy. HyeMi turned over to see the panicked look on her friend’s face. Before she could as what was wrong, JiEun shoved her smartphone into HyeMi’s face with the headline in bold.

“BigBang’s Daesung involved in an accident; one fatality.”

HyeMi jumped from her bed and ran to televison. The crawl at the bottom of the screen flashed the same headline with the details of the early morning accident.

“I need to call him,” HyeMi said as she moved to her room and grabbed her phone. She pressed the 2nd button, automatically dialing Daesung’s phone. The line rang. And rang. And rang.

HyeMi paced the room with the phone. “Daesung-ah…answer. Please!” The phone continued to ring. She ended the call and dialed again. As the phone rang for the fifth time, HyeMi dropped to the floor with tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Daesung-ah!”

~~~~~~

I wasn’t until later that HyeMi found out from Daesung’s mother that Daesung was fine but a motorcyclist was killed. His mother told HyeMi that an investigation may be conducted since he was involved.

“Where is he?”

“With his company’s president and manager at the police station.”

“I’ll come to your house and wait for him.”

“HyeMi-ah! I don’t think that will be a good idea. Also, I think the company will be monitoring who’s around him.”

“But…”

“He’ll be fine. He’ll contact you when he can, okay? Don’t worry. Take care.” The call ended as HyeMi sat on her bed. JiEun entered the room and leaned against the doorframe.

“How is he? Are you going to go see him?”

“His mother said the company is going to keep him close. She said that he’ll call me when he can. I feel like I just need to be near him,” JiEun moved over to her and wrapped her arm around HyeMi.

“It’s going to be okay. You’ll be able to call him soon,” HyeMi got out of the best and gathered her things.

“Where are you going?”

“To church. I just need to go there for a little while.”

~~~~~~~

HyeMi sat in the middle pews and bowed her head. As she began to pray, tears rolled down her face. All she could think about was Daesung and how much he would be hurting at that moment.

“Please, God, please let Daesung be okay. His heart will be heavy now and he needs you. Please,” Her cries filled the sanctuary as she continued to pray.