Chapter 5

Everything Comes Back To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


"Soeun, come down! Dinner is ready!" Soeun's mother shouted from downstairs. Hearing this, Soeun got up from her bed and headed to the kitchen. When she arrived, her brother and parents were already sitting in their respective seats. They started to eat as soon as she sat down.

"How was school today?" Her mother asked.

"It was okay, everyone's doing a lot of promposals lately," Soeun replied as she ate.

"Right, I heard from Soojin's mom that prom is coming soon. How is Soojin, honey?" Her mother asked her expression a mix of sadness and curiosity.

Now everyone had their attention to Soeun. They all knew that the two of them grew apart 2 years ago. Soojin stopped going to their house and Soeun stopped going to Soojin's house. Whenever they got out of their house at the same time, not even a greeting from the two was exchanged. It surprised them that they grew apart since the two were so close, you couldn't separate them. They missed having Soojin around, especially Soeun.

"....she's fine, mom," Soeun uttered.

"Okay," Her mother replied, feeling the tension, and decided to change the topic.

"Do you already have a partner for prom?" Her father asked.

"No, not yet," Soeun replied. I'm planning on asking her tonight.

_______________


I sat on my bed and stared at the two prom tickets on my desk. I just need to go to her house and ask her to prom, easy. No, it isn't easy. I held onto my head as I was starting to overthink. I'm starting to have a headache. Should I just do this another time? Maybe she doesn't want to see me or she doesn't feel comfortable around me. What do I do?! My mind was a mess. I kept pacing around my room thinking of all the worst scenarios.

Wouldn't it be weird to just go up to her house and ask her to prom at 9 in the evening? After being distant for 2 years? Am I crazy? Maybe I am. I puffed and collapsed on the floor; I spread out my arms as I lied on the floor, staring at the ceiling.


I can't think like this. I don't want to go to prom with anyone else but her. I promised...

I quickly got up from the floor and wore my light-washed jeans, pink sweatshirt, and black converse. I grabbed the two prom tickets on my desk and went downstairs. "Soeun, where you going?" Mother asked from the living room. "To Soojin's!" I quickly replied and went out the door.

Soojin's house was the first thing I saw when I came outside. There it is. I know she's still awake cause the light in her bedroom is still on.
My legs were shaking as I slowly walked up to the front door. Do I knock or ring the doorbell? I kept on stalling. My hands were sweating, my heart is beating so loudly and my legs feel like they're about to melt.

I stared at the doorbell, my shaking hands hovering 5 centimeters away from it. Just press it! My index finger sat on the doorbell. Welp here goes everything.


*DING DONG*


I heard footsteps coming from inside. My heartbeat was getting louder and louder by the second. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. You can do this. A few seconds later, I heard the door click and swing open.

In front of me stood a surprised and confused Soojin in her white silk pajamas. How can anyone look so precious?

"Soeun?" She stared at me with questioning eyes.

I shakily raised my right hand that held two prom tickets; I gathered all the courage I had left inside my system and looked her in the eyes and say...







"Will you go to prom with me?"









Silence.





The only sound that I could hear is my heart beating loudly in my chest. She stared at me with eyes full of shock. We both just stood there frozen at our spot, unmoving. I stared at her with bated breath as I start to think of all the worst-case scenarios with each passing second. Please say something, anything.




"Soojin?" I whispered, slowly losing hope.



A tear fell from her eye and trickled down her cheek followed by another and another. I instinctively held on to both of her arms.


"H-hey what's wrong? Did I say something wrong? Please don't cry," I pleaded.


She took a step towards me and pulled me in for a hug. She crashed onto my chest and sobbed. I held her in my arms and brushed her hair with my fingers. We just stood there hugging while I waited for her to calm down.


"I-i've missed you so much," she sobbed. My heart clenched at how fragile she sounded. "I was so afraid that you'd forgotten about it."


"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I'm so sorry."


"N-no, I should be the one a-apologizing," She replied, her voice muffled in my sweatshirt.


When she calmed down, she broke apart from the hug.


"Sorry for ruining your sweatshirt," She pointed at the wet patch on my chest.


"It's fine, don't worry," I spoke. I wiped a stray tear on the corner of her eyes with my thumb. Her nose was red and her eyes sparkled.


Please Subscribe to read the full chapter