From Bad to Worse

My Unbreakable Warrior

 

It has been a year since the accident has happened; and nothing seemed to be lighting up.

Because of Mr. Son’s business, it has been taking him all over the world, making time with his family very limited. Mrs. Son started getting very discouraged and overwhelmed.

Jaeyeon is now 6 years old, in her first year of primary school. At school she still acted cold towards her teachers and classmates.

She wouldn’t even speak while partner working or during recess. Because Jaeyeon had to move, she transferred schools.

Transferring schools not only means a new neighborhood, but also leaving her bestest friend in the whole entire world Jung Hye Sun; also known as Trinity.

------

 Jaeyeon’s father and Trinity’s mother had a very close sunbae-hoobae relationship.

Trinity and Jaeyeon still see each other but not as frequently, causing both of them frustration. Other than Naeun, Trinity was the only female friend Jaeyeon had.

Jaeyeon was always raised with boys, so that was the type of environment she was used to. A majority of her distant cousins were boys.

But Trinity and Naeun were an acceptation. Jaeyeon felt more comfortable with Trinity because they were the same age.

------

Going through hardships without someone by your side is definitely difficult. As Jaeyeon grew quieter and colder, Naeun and Mrs. Son grew more concerned and discouraged. They felt like they’ve tried everything.

They thought time would heal this open wound, but it’s already been a year and nothing has improved. If anything it was getting worse. Naeun and her mother were at a loss.

Some nights Mrs. Son would go to sleep crying because she too had no one by her side at the moment. Mr. Son had been busier than ever and was traveling non-stop.

Jaeyeon noticed the atmosphere around everyone was uncomfortable and irritable when she didn’t talk or socialize. When she couldn’t sleep at night, she’d go into the living room at sit next to the fireplace.

As she makes her way downstairs she could hear Mrs. Son weeping. Her heart wrenched. “Is she crying because of me?” Jaeyeon wondered.

Jaeyeon leaned more towards the door to listen better. “The number you are trying to reach is currently unavailable. Please try again later.”

“Arghh! Son Geunsuk why don’t you answer my calls these days!? Aish.” Mrs. Son yelled in frustration and she threw her phone on her futon.

 Slowly, tears fell from her eyes. “I can’t do this by myself… Jaeyeon’s become more of a cold child now. I don’t know what to do. It’s been a year now and nothing has changed. Naeunnie counsels Jaeyeon at night and it’s affecting her studies.”

Jaeyeon’s eyes widened. “Unnie’s grades are slipping because of me?”

Mrs. Son tried calling him again. Voicemail. She sniffled. “Oppa, please come home. I want to see your face just once. I need you by my side right now. I need help in raising the girls. Call me when you can arasso?” Mrs. Son let out a loud sigh.

She abruptly stood up from her bed and made her way to her bedroom door. Jaeyeon quickly dashed behind the corner and hid until Mrs. Son made her way downstairs. Jaeyeon came out from hiding and stood there.

Unnie lied… I am a burden…

------

The next morning Mrs. Son woke up as if nothing were wrong. After she washed up she checked her phone and saw a text.

“Yeobo! I’ve been so busy. I’m sorry that I haven’t been answering your calls. I’m really sorry to hear you and the girls are going through such a hard time. Call me when you wake up. I promise I’ll answer. I love you ^^”

She smiled at the text and called him immediately.

Sunlight made its way through the curtains and peered into Naeun and Jaeyeon’s room. The sunlight streamed into Naeun’s sleeping face, awakening her.

She squinted at the brightness. She looked over at Jaeyeon who was asleep with the covers over her head.

Naeun shook her head. “I don’t know how she can sleep like that. I wouldn’t be able to breathe!” She looked at her calendar on her wall. It was Thursday 17, December. “Ah, no school today. Mid-winter break yes!” Naeun cheered in her head.

There was a light knock on the door. “Naeun? Are you awake.” Her mother poked her head through the door.

“Shh.” Naeun put a finger to her lips then point to the second bed. “Ohh.” Mrs. Son nodded in understanding.

“Mommy has exciting news!”

“What is it?” Naeun tilted her head.

“Daddy’s coming home today!” Mrs. Son said in a loud whisper. Naeun’s eyes grew large. “AHHH!” she screamed, waking Jaeyeon up.

“WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING!?! UNNIE DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?!” Jaeyeon shouted grumpily. Naeun didn’t care and jumped onto Jaeyeon’s bed.

“My dad is coming home today!” Naeun yelled with joy. Mrs. Son smiled.

“Wow you must be so happy! Now please unnie, go back to sleep or go share your happiness with someone else.” Jaeyeon lightly pushed her off of her bed. She put her back towards her and went back to sleep.

Naeun smiled and shook her head. “Don’t sleep too much Jaeyeon.”

“Pfft.” Jaeyeon scoffed lightly.

“Come down later for breakfast.” Naeun sang as she exited the room.

A few hours later the grumpy 6 year old came downstairs rubbing her eyes and plopped down at the kitchen counter.

“Jaeyeon you know what special day is coming up?” Mrs. Son asked Jaeyeon. Jaeyeon blinked at her.

“It’s your birthday in a few days right?” Mrs. Son raised her brow a smiled. Jaeyeon nodded and placed her palm under her jaw line in slight interest.

“Well Naeun’s dad returns today and I was thinking we can have a little party here, just the four of us tomorrow.” She said with a smile spreading across her face.

The 6 year old’s eyes grew warm. “They’re both trying so hard.” Jaeyeon thought. She smiled and nodded. “Thank you really. I’m sorry if I’ve been burdening you two.” She hopped of the chair and hugged Mrs. Son. Naeun smiled from the counter.

Just then door creaked open. “I’m home! Burr it’s cold!” announced a loud deep voice. “DADDY!” Naeun sprung off of the chair and ran into her dad’s arms.

“Mwah! Hi sweetie! Oh I missed you so much! Oh you’re getting so big.” Mr. Son gently placed the 9 year old down.

“Hello beautiful~ mwah.” He kissed his wife. “Hi yeobo, you don’t know how much I’ve missed you.” Mrs. Son murmured softly.

“I think I do.” He kissed her again.

“Ah where’s my little rugrat? There she is!” Mr. Son walked to the living room and picked Jaeyeon up. “Who’s birthday is on Saturday?!”

Jaeyeon shyly pointed to herself. “That’s right it’s yours!” He smothered her and tickled her, causing her to laugh.

The rest of the day was spent with catching up, watching dramas, variety shows, and music shows, a nice home cooked meal, and just spending quality time together. Mrs. Son was the most happy that night.

------

The next morning was just like the last with Naeun jumping on Jaeyeon’s bed.

“Jaeyeon-ah! WAKE UP! It’s your birthday party day!! WAKE UP QUICKLY!” Naeun yelled urgently.

“SON NAEUN UNNIE GO AWAY RIGHT NOW! YOU’RE WAKING ME UP EARLIER AND EARLIER! HAVEN’T YOU LEARNED YOUR LESSON AISHH!” Jaeyeon scolded loudly.

“Get Up! Get Up! Get Up!” Naeun nagged as she persistently shook Jaeyeon, who stubbornly kept the covers over her head.

“Mommy Son! Naeun unnie is bothering me!” Jaeyeon shouted irritably. Naeun’s parents entered the doorway of the room and smiled at the girls.

Naeun saw her parents and stopped what she was doing. Jaeyeon felt nothing and revealed herself from the covers slowly. Mrs. Son nodded her head towards downstairs. Both girls looked at each other and scrambled out of the bed.

Only Jaeyeon hopped out of the bed only to close the door after Naeun exited and hopped back into bed. She smiled in satisfaction and closed her eyes. Mr. Son noticed and went into the room again and threw Jaeyeon over his shoulder and hauled her downstairs.

“No! No Appa Son! NO!!!” Jaeyeon pleaded. Mr. Son smirked as he threw her on the couch. Jaeyeon crossed her arms and blew the bangs out of her eyes. “Rude!”

Everyone laughed at her. “Come have some birthday breakfast Jaeyeonnie!” Mrs. Son called. Everyone scrambled to the kitchen table. “Kamsahamnida chincha.” Jaeyeon bowed slightly. The Son’s softened.

------

Soon it became evening, the time of Jaeyeon’s birthday party. “Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Jaeyeonnie, happy birthday to you!~” The family sang. Jaeyeon blew out her candles. Everyone cheered.

“Presents!” Naeun cheered as she clapped her hands. Naeun handed Jaeyeon a little small rectangular box. “This is from me.” She smiled.

Jaeyeon tore the little wrapping paper and opened the box. Inside was a cute hands hello kitty watch. Jaeyeon softened.

 “Aww unnie Komowo!” Jaeyeon hugged Naeun tightly. “You’re welcome. Wear it well.” Naeun ruffled Jaeyeon’s head and put the watch on her.

Jaeyeon slowly stopped what she was doing and looked down. Everyone looked at each other confused. “Jaeyeon wae?” Mrs. Son lightly touched Jaeyeon’s arm.

“I want my family here with me. Umma, appa, Sungmin oppa, and Trinity unnie. That’s all.” Jaeyeon admitted. Mr. Son studied Jaeyeon’s face and felt guilty. “Hey Jaeyeonnie, how about I go pick up your friend’s huh?”

Jaeyeon snapped her head up. Mrs. Son’s eyes widened. “Honey no, it’s snowing outside.”

“Sweetie, this is her first party without her parents, the least I could do is bring her closest friends to her. I’ll be fine.” Mr. Son whispered back.

“Really Appa Son? You’d do that just for me?” Jaeyeon questioned in shock. “Of course.” He smiled and nodded. Her eyes twinkled. “Thank you.”

“Daddy be careful.” Naeun sweetly warned as her dad bundled up. “Bye honey, I’ll see you in a bit.” He kissed his wife. “Okay, hun be careful. Drive safe!”

“I will, I love you.”

“Love you too.”

“Bye girls I’ll be back!” And with that he left.

“Alright girls, who wants cake?” Mrs. Son smiled.

“Me!” The girls squealed as they raised their hands.

------

“What’s taking so long?” Mrs. Son wondered. “Maybe I should call…”

As soon as she was about to call, her phone rang.

“Mrs. Son?”

“Yes this is she. May I ask who is calling?”

“Hello my name is Kim Seungi, I am a doctor at Seoul City hospital.”

“Jamkkanman, doctor?”

“Yes, your husband is Son Geunsuk am I correct?”

“Oh no…” Mrs. Son started to tremble.

“Your husband is in critical condition, he took part in a severe car accident, he was hit by a drunken driver. I’m sorry to tell you that Geunsuk-shi is in a coma.”

“No! Were there other passengers?” Mrs. Son started to cry.

“No.” The doctor responded.

“Ahem, thank you doctor I’ll be there shortly.”

“Arasso.”

Naeun looked up and saw her mom crying. “Umma?”

“G.na, could you come and watch the girls? I have to go to the hospital, it’s an emergency, Mr. Son got into a car accident and he’s in a coma. Okay, come quickly and safely. Kamsahamnida. I owe you.” Mrs. Son sniffled. “Ohh, gosh! What do I do now?”

Naeun’s eyes widened in horror. “Daddy’s in a coma?” Mrs. Son slowly nodded. Naeun gasped and covered . Mrs. Son yanked her daughter towards her and they cried together.

Jaeyeon’s jaw dropped. “Oh no, this is all my fault…” She thought. The door opened.

“G.na-shi! Thank you so much for coming.” Mrs. Son wiped her tears.

“No problem! I’m so sorry about your husband.” G.na replied.

“Thank you. Stay warm I’ll see you later. Be good girls.” Mrs. Son gave Naeun a kiss on the head and left.

“Naeun come here.” G.na opened her arms. Naeun started crying into G.na’s sweater. G.na hugged her tightly.

Jaeyeon’s eyes started to water. She sprinted up the stairs and ran into her and Naeun’s room. G.na and Naeun looked up confused. Naeun wiped her tears and followed Jaeyeon.

Naeun heard stuff being thrown around in her room she opened the door and saw little Jaeyeon packing her belongings into her suitcase and backpack.

Naeun looked at her confused. “Jaeyeon, what are you doing?”

“I’m so sorry unnie, I’m leaving. I can’t keep doing this to your family.” Jaeyeon said crying while stuffing clothes into her bags.

“What are you talking about?!” Naeun raised her voice. G.na heard the raucous and leaped up the stairs.

“Unnie, don’t lie to me. Have your grades been lowering because of me?”

“What?” Naeun responded in disbelief.

“Answer me.” Jaeyeon demanded.

“It’s my fault Jaeyeon I should’ve studied more. It’s not because of you, I-I promise.” Naeun tried to assure her.

“But I keep you up late at night when I cry, so it is partially my fault.” Jaeyeon insisted. “Or what about your dad getting into a car accident? If I had never said anything about Trinity and Sungmin he would’ve never left. Face it Naeun unnie, I’m causing your family pain. I’m leaving.”

Jaeyeon stuffed the remaining clothes into her suitcase. She grabbed her arts and crafts and the pictures of her family then stuffed them into her backpack.

“Lee Jaeyeon why are you talking like this? You are 6 years old; you can’t run away in the winter. Sweetie think about this.” G.na interrupted.

“Watch me.” Jaeyeon brushed pass G.na. Both girls ran downstairs and followed the little girl. Just at that moment Mrs. Son had returned to the house to grab her purse that she had forgotten.

She looked at Jaeyeon with her bags. Mrs. Son felt a pain in her chest. She felt hurt, depressed, and heartbroken that Jaeyeon would leave.

“Mianhae Umma Son, I’m sorry about the pain I’ve caused your family. Goodbye. Thank you for taking care of me this far. I love you.” Jaeyeon bowed.

Mrs. Son looked at G.na who shrugged hopelessly. “Lee Jaeyeon you aren’t going anywhere! Stay!” Mrs. Son shouted angrily.

“I can’t! I’ve caused you too much pain already!” Jaeyeon argued.

“You are 6 years old! Where can you possibly go?! Do you know how dangerous it is out there?!” Mrs. Son barked.

“It can’t be worse than losing your parents or causing pain to people who are just trying to help you. I’m sorry!” Jaeyeon shouted.

She walked over to Jaeyeon who was bawling her eyes out. “Naeun unnie, don’t go anywhere. Stay here, in this house. I’ll come back I promise.” Jaeyeon held out her pinky.

Naeun held out her shaking pinky and laced it through Jaeyeon’s. G.na hugged Naeun and patted Jaeyeon’s head with a faint smile. Mrs. Son was now in tears again.

“Lee Jaeyeon if you step a foot out that door, Jaeyeon don’t you dare! Get back here right now! LEE JAEYEON!!” Mrs. Son pleaded on the ground.

Jaeyeon’s heart hurt. “Mianhae.” She kissed Mrs. Son’s head and headed out the door with her backpack and suitcase. She looked like a little marshmallow walking in the street, with her winter attire.

Mrs. Son Sobbed. “Kyuyeon unnie, I’m so sorry I’ve failed at protecting Jaeyeon. I never wanted to make her feel this way. Things just weren’t going right. Please send her guardian protectors who can protect her better than I can. Please unnie! Don’t let your daughter be alone!”

___________

Hello Readers [:

Long chapter... I warned you!

Sad chapter... I know.. I'm sorry.

But now you're on the streets alone.

What'd going to happen to you? Stay tuned...

And please you guys, comment! Authors' love to know

what you're thinking. Don't be silent readers! Haha.

Thanks For Reading ^^

 

Comments are lovedSubscribermake my day! Friends are welcome! ^^