Another Loss at a Funeral

My Unbreakable Warrior

After a good 15-20 minute car ride. The 3 ladies arrived at the funeral home. The workers were standing outside waiting for their arrival.

 Mrs. Son greeted the workers and entered into the solemn building. Jaeyeon was carefully looking and observing her surroundings, trying to take in reality.

“Na Eun, take Jaeyeon to go sit down. Mommy needs to do some things.” Mrs. Son instructed. Naeun nodded and led Jaeyeon to the second bench from the front. Naeun kept sneaking glances at her dongsang to see if she was still okay.

A numb feeling spread over Jaeyeon. She couldn’t smile, she couldn’t speak. It was as if she was just there.

She couldn’t accept the fact that her parents were in the casket in front of her. Jaeyeon kept staring at the caskets, silently praying that this was all just a crazy nightmare.

She blinked, only to find that it was indeed reality. Jaeyeon heaved a sigh. Naeun looked at her with such sympathy and put her arms around her and leaned her head onto Jaeyeon’s.

 “Jaeyeon-ah Mianhae.” She whispered. “Remember than unnie will always be here for you, no matter what. I love you.” She kissed her head. Jaeyeon nodded in acknowledgment.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Son was doing last minute errands and greeting the early arrivers. “Annyeonghaseyo, Annyeonghaseyo.” Mrs. Son bowed at the guests. All of the guests were Jaeyeon’s distant relatives. They have all offered to take her in, but the Son family has been appointed the ‘God Family’ in case anything happened.

“Oh unnie! How are you?” Mrs. Son greeted Kyuyeon’s little sister.

“Um I’m okay, I still can’t believe they’re gone… how about you and the girls?” Soonkyu replied warily glancing at the girls. “Geunsuk isn’t here with you?”

“No, he just left to Hong Kong for a business trip.” Mrs. Son sighed. “And as for the girls… Jaeyeon has hardly spoken since the accident, her appetite isn’t the same, I hear her cry every night and Naeun hasn’t really been herself either. It’s heartbreaking… Soonkyu unnie?”

“Huh? Oh Mianhae, I was listening.” She nodded.

“Is something the matter? You look off? Bothered?” Mrs. Son questioned unsure. “You can tell me.” She assured.

Soonkyu contemplated in deep thought. She heaved a great sigh. “Come here.” She took Mrs. Son to a more private room. Mrs. Son a little confused followed her.

“Okay, you have to promise you won’t tell anyone, not yet anyways. They’d be even more devastated than they are right now.” Soonkyu began. Mrs. Son nodded. “Okay…”

Soonkyu took a deep breath, “My sister just found out she was pregnant with a baby the day of the accident.”

Mrs. Son gasped and clamped a hand over . Soonkyu nodded. “It’s true. She called me earlier that day with the news. She was going to announce it at her bbq party that night. That’s why I was in such disbelief in hearing what happened.”

“Oh my gosh.” Mrs. Son was on the verge of tears now. “That means that’s one more person Jaeyeon would have lost if she knew…”

“I know… my poor baby girl. She has always wanted siblings. Jaeyeon would always tell me she wanted oppas in her life and if she couldn’t have an oppa then she’d want to be a noona.” Soonkyu lightly laughed and smiled at the memory.

“Should we tell her? She has a right to know, other than Sungmin she doesn’t have any other brother figures. And Na Eunnie and Hye Sun are the closest thing to sisters she has. She’s lonesome.” Mrs. Son questioned sadly gazing at Jaeyeon’s sitting figure.

Soonkyu sighed. “I don’t know. Maybe one day, when she’s a little older. But I’ll let you decide on the when ‘God Mother’.” She poked Mrs. Son.

“Arasso, I’ll have to sleep on that one.” Mrs. Son says. “Hey did they find what the actual cause of the fire was? When I asked they didn’t know.” Soonkyu questioned with curiosity and anxiousness in her eyes.

“The firefighters told me it was electrical.” Mrs. Son shrugged unsure. Soonkyu peered out the room. “Let’s go, more guests are arriving.” Soonkyu grabbed Mrs. Son’s hand and led her out to the main room.

Both of them bowed and greeted the many guests. As the guests were seated all of them took turns and gave their condolences to Jaeyeon who just nodded at them. Jaeyeon was getting restless at all the people who were greeting her and smothering her out of sympathy.

She laid her head on Naeun’s shoulder and started to cry silently. Just then the Choi family had arrived. The Choi’s were also family friends of the Lee’s.

Mr. Choi and Mr. Lee were best friends and also the best business partners. They were like brothers. Both of them would kid around saying their children would get married when they were older.

“Da Eun unnie! It’s so nice to see you again; it’s so unfortunate we had to meet like this.” Mrs. Choi greeted first as she hugged Mrs. Son.

“Yeah I agree.” Mrs. Son faintly smiled.

“Son Da Eun, it’s always nice to see you. How is she?” Mr. Choi nodded at Jaeyeon. The Choi family looked at the little girl. Mr. Choi’s son’s eyes brightened at the sight of Jaeyeon. Mrs. Son sighed. “No words can describe what she’s feeling.” She admitted.

“Sungmin-ah, why don’t you go greet Jaeyeon huh?” Mrs. Choi suggested. The 6 year old boy nodded and went to greet his friend.

“Hi Jaeyeon.” Sungmin said softly. Jaeyeon looked up to see her close friend Choi Sungmin. Jaeyeon meekly nodded. “Noona.” Sungmin bowed at Na Eun who returned the bow. Sungmin hopped up on the bench and took a seat next to Jaeyeon.

Sungmin’s gaze turned melancholy at his dear friend crying and sniffling next to him. He took her right hand and squeezed it. Jaeyeon shut her eyes tightly and buried her face in Naeun’s sweater and began to cry harder.

Naeun caressed and Jaeyeon’s hair. Sungmin scooted closer and patted her back and laid his head against hers.

“Everyone, we’ll be starting now.” Mrs. Son began. She held her tears back and sniffled. “Thank you all here for joining us in remembering two great people. Ah- chincha.” She wiped her tears away.

“Ahem, Lee Kyuyeon was my best friend. I held her so close to me. I love her dearly.” Her voice started to shake now. “Um, and as for Hyukjae oppa, he was my new neighbor. And when I invited both of them for lunch I knew they were perfect for each other. He was the kindest most generous caring person I knew.” She continued her speech about the two.

 “What happened to them was a tragic event that we all won’t be able to forget. Keep in mind though, that they left this world together and are in a better place. But we also cannot forget that both of these wonderful people will be living in our hearts and also in their beautiful daughter Lee Jaeyeon.”

Sungmin and Naeun looked at Jaeyeon whose expression was still blank and hard. Her expression hadn’t changed throughout the whole ceremony. The two friends grew a little worried. 

___________________

YO! Again... sorry for another sad chapter.

The mood will be pretty sad for the begining. I apologize :p

Thanks for reading! <33

Oh, I'm also looking for someone to make a poster for this story ^^.

Any recommendations??

Comments are loved! Subscribers make my day! Friends are welcome! ^_~