Unexpected Events

My Unbreakable Warrior

~Narrator’s POV~

“119, there’s a house fire! I believe there are residents still in the house!”

“We’ll send an ambulance immediately and the police are on their way...”

-----

“Umma can we have some snacks please?” Na Eun asked. Her mother smiled and nodded.

“Unnie, I’m making these for my umma and appa. Do you think they’ll like it?” Jaeyeon blinked at the art she created. Na Eun smiled. “Of course they will. Aigoo, my dongsang is so cute and thoughtful!”

The home phone rang as Mrs. Son was preparing the biscuits and crackers for the girls. The tray of snacks she was holding instantly met with the floor…

“Hello, is this the Son family residence?” The dispatcher asked.

“Yes, is there a problem?” Mrs. Son asked carefully.

“Is Lee Jaeyeon present with you right now?”

“Yes, is something wrong?” Mrs. Son replied concernedly.

“I’m so sorry to inform you of this, but the Lee residence house has burnt down. Ms. Lee’s parents are in the hospital if you’d like to take her there. I’m very sorry again.”

“Omo, thank you. I’ll take her there right away.”

“Girls, get your shoes on hurry!” Mrs. Son said in urgency. Confused, the girls did as they were told. “Umma what’s happening?” Na Eun asked as her mother rushed her and Jaeyeon to the car. Mrs. Son buckled them in rapidly and got into the driver’s seat.

“Unnie… I don’t like this. Why isn’t your mom speaking? She’s driving so fast.” Jaeyeon trembled and grasped onto Na Eun’s sweater sleeve.

“Mommy, why are we at the hospital…?” Na Eun questioned carefully peering out the car window. Mrs. Son quickly parked the car and unbuckled the girls. She took them each by hand and ran inside the emergency entrance.

The girls looking as lost as ever entered the hospital. “Annyeonghaseyo, I’m looking for a married couple who go by the name of Lee Kyuyeon and Lee Hyukjae (not Eunhyuk :p)” Mrs. Son announced to the receptionist. Jaeyeon’s attention turned to her friend’s mom at the mention of her parent’s name.

“There was a house fire, and they were still inside. Please tell me their room number.” Mrs. Son said looking desperate with fear in her eyes. Jaeyeon’s eyes widened at her statement. She started shaking her head. “No… NO!” Na Eun jumped at her dongsang’s sudden outburst.

“Please I have their daughter with me; she’s only 5 years old.” Mrs. Son begged. “Mr. and Mrs. Lee have been discharged about an hour ago. I’m so sorry. They didn’t make it out in time. They inhaled too much of the smoke and suffocated.” The receptionist informed.

Tears were streaming down Mrs. Son’s cheeks now. Na Eun gasped and put a hand over and looked down at her friend who was on the ground bawling. She crouched down and scooped Jaeyeon in her arms and cried with her.

“If you’d like to say your last goodbyes, their room is down the east hallway and it’s the fourth room on the left.” The receptionist said with a faint smile. “I’m so sorry for your loss. Tell her to be strong and she’ll see them again one day.” She nodded at Jaeyeon. Mrs. Son nodded. “I will.” She sniffled. “Come on girls.” She grabbed the girl’s hands and led them to the room.

As Jaeyeon was walking she looked back at the receptionist. She slightly bowed and received an encouraging smile, a wave, and a little fist pump indicating a ‘fighting’ Jaeyeon nodded and continued to walk.

Doctors and nurses proceeded to walk in and out of the Lee’s room. Mrs. Son gasped in shock. She looked down at Jaeyeon concerned. The 5 year old remained their staring blankly at the room. She felt a stare on her and looked up. Jaeyeon squeezed Mrs. Son’s hand.

Mrs. Son stopped one of the doctors. “Excuse me, is it okay if we say our goodbyes?” The doctor hesitated at first but looked at Jaeyeon and merely nodded. “Kamsahamnida.” Mrs. Son bowed. The doctor nodded. “I’m sorry for your loss. Be strong little girl.” Mrs. Son picked up Jaeyeon in her arms and entered the room. Na Eun followed close behind.

There, side by side laid the deceased parents of Lee Jaeyeon. You could still smell the strong odor of smoke from them. Jaeyeon let out a scared gasped. She squealed at the sight of her parents and buried her face in Mrs. Son’s shoulder. Na Eun was horrified also and grasped onto her mother’s skirt tightly.

Mrs. Son squeezed Jaeyeon tighter and her hair for comfort. She then started to cry once more, followed by the little girls. Mrs. Son rubbed Na Eun’s back comfortingly. Both girls sat in her lap weeping at their loss. Mrs. Son closed her eyes and rocked the girls back and forth.

“Kyuyeon-ah, I’m going to miss you so much! You were my best friend. It was just earlier today I saw your smiling face, and now you’re gone! You’ve left me! You’ve left Jaeyeon! How could you leave her?! Your own daughter! She’s going to be so lost without her parents in her life! I’ll try my best to prevent her from dangers and will raise her like you and Hyukjae oppa would have. I’ll try unnie, I promise. Please forgive me if I fail. But please watch over her and my family carefully, you’re in a better place now. Saranghae~. ”

------

~A week later~

“Jaeyeon, are you ready sweetie?” Mrs. Son asked her. She meekly nodded. “You look really pretty.” Mrs. Son tried to brighten up her mood. Jaeyeon remained silent. Mrs. Son sighed. “Honey I know you’re going through a really hard time right now. But it’s the hardships in life that makes us stronger right?”

Jaeyeon started to shrug, but then nodded. “Your umma and appa wouldn’t want to see their little princess all frowny and depressed right?” Jaeyeon shook her head. “Good girl. Come here.” She then took Jaeyeon in her arms and hugged her.

 “You’ll see your mommy and daddy again one day. I promise. But for right now, they’ll be watching over you from a very special place. They’ll always be with you, right in… here.” Mrs. Son lightly poked the spot where her heart is. Jaeyeon smiled faintly.

“They’ll always protect you, they’ll always love you, and they would never let anything happen to you.” Mrs. Son murmured quietly. Jaeyeon held up her little pinky. Mrs. Son softened. “I promise.” She then looped her pinky with Jaeyeon’s and shook it. She cuddled with her once more in a hug and kissed her forehead.

“Now go to the car, we have to be there before everyone else.” Mrs. Son instructed. Jaeyeon nodded. Na Eun took Jaeyeon’s right hand and led her out of the house. All 3 ladies, all in black entered the car. Mrs. Son checked and made sure the girls were buckled in before starting the engine and heading towards the funeral home.

______________________

Hello! Alright so I officially gave up on not starting this story... [SO BAD!]

I totally caved in... not cool when you have like 3+ incomplete fics >_> 

But I just couldn't resist! Haha. 

Anyways, tragic start... I'm sorry! Look forward to more updates~ ^^ 

My Unbreakable Warrior START!

Thanks for reading!