Chapter 9

The Trouble Is You

Chapter 9 


Like 

 

 

We ended up eating at Vista View Restaurant. I don’t even understand why we are eating here. I mean, it’s a 1-hour drive from school! It’s not convenient at all! With the traffic and all! 

 

“Seriously?” I asked him as he opened the car door for me. As I got out, the warm wind welcomed me. So much for being in a tropical country. 

 

“What?” Jiyong asked. “The place is cozy. Perfect for dinner date.” 

 

Again, my heart leapt for a moment. 

 

“Dinner date?” I asked him. “Wait up. You’re seriously saying that we are having a dinner date?” 

 

Jiyong nod and grin. “And you have no choice since we are already here.” 

 

I massaged my temple trying to hide a smile that is forming on my face. I can definitely ace this faking game now! Like, seriously! Why am I like this? 

 

“Well, as long as the food here is good.” I simply said as I walk towards the entrance. 

 

I heard Jiyong chuckled. “Well, my friend co-own this place so the food is good.” 

 

I just shrug. We got to our table— which is surprisingly the good spot and it was reserved. 

 

I raised my right eyebrows while eyeing him. “Reserved? Really? Did you prepared for this?” 

 

Jiyong gave me that playful look. Again, my heart is doing some acrobatics. And it’s… weird. “Am I? Hmm.” 

 

I just laughed. We ordered and waited. While waiting, we talk about yes, acads. But it’s not boring at all. I don’t know why. Every time we talk, it seems like things makes sense. Well, talking about acads makes sense but… you know. The way he talks and his choice of words is full of sense and deep. 

 

“Exams is fast approaching.” He randomly said. 

 

I grunted upon remembering it. “Yeah. And stop reminding me.” 

 

He chuckled. “Does it makes you want to runaway again?” 

 

“How I wish. But this time, I need to finish this.” 

 

Because I don’t have an excuse anymore. I need to finish Law School so I can take the Bar and live life to the fullest. How? Well, after passing the Bars,  I’ll go back to Hawaii and party again. More like runaway from my responsibility. 

 

I snickered at the thought. “Did you study already?” 

 

“Well, I always study.” He said, sounding confident. “I mean, I always use my time wisely so whenever I got time, I read. Study is… a strong word for what I am truly doing.” 

 

I nod. “True. Time Management is really the key to success. But I’m still amazed with you, Jiyong. You’re managing your family business and study Law. Like, how?” 

 

“Time Management.” 

 

I rolled my eyes but found myself laughing with him. The view from here is really good— the city lights and the ambiance. It’s a garden restaurant that has a ‘chill’ vibe. Good for casual dinner with the family or dinner dates. 

 

After dinner, we’ve decided to go home. I mean, we need to rest and well, study. Again, I am still wondering if I can runaway once again. My parents said that I can do and be whatever I want, but I felt like my Dad wants us to be like him— a Lawyer-Politician. I can be a Lawyer, maybe. But a Politician? I don’t think so. It’s something I can’t do. Even in my dreams. 

 

“After Law school, what are you goin’ to do?” I asked Jiyong as the car stops due to traffic. 

 

“Practice Law.” He said. “Most probably, I’ll enter our Company as a Corporate Lawyer and well, help Dad in managing it.” 

 

I nod. “Good for you.” 

 

“How about you?” He asked me. Jiyong gave me a quick glance before the traffic lights turned to green. “I mean, you’re a family of lawyers. From your great-greater-greatest grandpa.” 

 

I laughed at his word of choice. Never have I imagine I will be laughing so hard at him. I mean, when I met him he is cold. The second time, he’s uptight and strict. Jiyong is really something. He amuses me every time we talk. 

 

“You’re introvert.” I said while still laughing.

 

“How can you say that?” Jiyong asked with a grin. “Wow. You are so random, Sandara.” 

 

“I mean, at first you’re uptight and cold to me. Remember? But now, look at us. We’re now so close. We could pass as College friends.” 

 

“Are we?” Amusement is all over his face. 

 

“Aren’t we?” 

 

Jiyong chuckled and reached for my left cheek and squeezes them. See? Why is he so in-denial. 

 

“So we should really get along and be friends for real.” I suggested. 

 

“No more flirting?” He asked. I don’t know why but he sounds teasing. 

 

I pouted. “Can I flirt with you but still be your friend?” 

 

Jiyong shook his head and reached for my hand. He placed them on his thigh. “Like this?” 

 

I blushed. I felt like my whole being reddened. Again, the tachycardia! Damn it! 

 

“If you continue this, why not consider date me?” 

 

Jiyong shook his head. “My, oh, my. St. Andrews University’s Queen, Sandara, is confessing to me!” He blurted out. 

 

“Silly. I mean, I’m really interested with you.” 

 

“Why? Because I kept on rejecting you?” I playfully asked. “Is this the first time, someone rejected you, My Queen?” 

 

“Damn it…” I cursed in between my gasp. 

 

“No cursing please…” Jiyong reprimanded. 

 

“Whatever.” 

 

I looked away to hide my face because for sure, it’s red as tomato. And damn it, my hand is still on his thighs! Should I remove it? Or just let it stay there? If I remove it or let it stay, what does it mean? Damn it. I may be a flirt and has an experience about these kind of things but I’m currently out of words to explain this… whole thing! 

 

“The traffic can be the new tourist destination in our City.” Jiyong mumbled as he shook his head. “Although your Dad is doing his best to lessen the traffic, still.” 

 

My eyebrows furrow. I agree. Dad is creating roads and even proposed budget and projects for the new subway system. Well, it’s really hard especially since the President is from the opposition. How could they not approve budget for projects that could make the people’s live convenient? This country’s political system big time. 

 

“I know.” I said. 

 

“How was your Mom and Dad?” 

 

“Busy. As always.” 

 

“I see.” 

 

“How about your Mom and Dad? I don’t know anything about them. Or your family. Or about you.” 

 

Which is sadly true but understandable. 

 

Jiyong let out a soft chuckle. “Mom is fine so as Dad.” 

 

“That’s it?” 

 

“Yeah. That’s it.” He took a quick glance at me. “Why? Do you want to know my parents more?” 

 

“I mean, you know about mine. Isn’t it fair to know yours too?” 

 

I bit my lower lip. Why am I asking this? Isn’t it weird? We just met, almost a month of being classmates, and yet I wanted to know a lot of things about him. I’m so curious about Kwon Jiyong. 

Jiyong sounds like he doesn’t want to tell things about his parents to me. I don’t know. Maybe for some privacy? 

 

“Well, my Mom is a painter. My Dad is a businessman.” He shortly replied. “I do have an older sister and she’s already married. Her husband is well, from a well-off family. And I co-manage our business alongside with my dad.” 

 

I just nod enthusiastically. “So your mom is a painter. Maybe the reason why you also love painting and arts” 

 

This time Jiyong looked at me with an amused expression. “Oh. Are you stalking me?” 

 

I snickered. What’s there to hide. “Come on. I mean, I can see it on your IG. It’s filled with art stuffs.” 

 

“Oh.” 

 

I looked at him. “You seem so interested with arts. Why didn’t you pursue it?” 

 

Jiyong just shrug. “Family Business. No one’s gonna take over but me.” 

 

I just nod. I understand him. I mean, her sister is married and I bet she’s a homemaker. Or maybe she’s helping her husband’s business. And Jiyong is the first born son. 

 

As for me and my siblings, well, we are free to choose whatever path that we wanted. But maybe, we all unconsciously wanted to prove something to our parents so we all went to the same path— Law School. To be a lawyer. It’s like an unspoken truth. 

 

The ride home is fun minus the fact that it was a 2 hour drive due to traffic. 

 

“Good thing your bodyguards can follow us.” Jiyong commented as we enter our village. 

 

I looked at him, surprised. “How did you know I have bodyguards?” 

 

Jiyonh chuckled. “You’re the daughter of a very controversial Lawyer and City Mayor and the only sister of a City Councilor. Do you really expect we won’t know about it?” 

 

I just shrug. I felt like I don’t want him to know about that. People might think that our family is over reacting for having bodyguards. 

 

“I don’t want people to know about my bodyguards.” I whispered. 

 

“Why?” 

 

“Because I feel like people will think of me as someone not equal as them.” I said. “Damn it…” 

 

Jiyong tsk-ed and damn it, I find it so hot. He didn’t say a word. I want to know what’s his currently thinking but I don’t want to pry. 

 

“Ji…”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Are you sure you don’t like me?” I bravely asked him. “I mean, I know I am smart and pretty. We… were almost always together.” 

 

Jiyong shook his head. “I really like your company, Sandara.” 

 

I just nod. Again, I felt a pang of pain in my heart. But why? What does it mean? Why does it hurt?  Is it because of his answer? That he just likes my company? 

 

“Well, I feel the same too.” It’s true. I like Jiyongs company— he is smart, kind and gentleman. Qualities that I like for men. 

 

“Let’s just be happy with what we have right now, I guess.” 

 

I just nod. 

 

The next day, I got early and readying myself to go to school. Although the class starts in the afternoon. I felt like I want to go to the library and study. 

 

“You’re early?” Mom asked as I kissed her cheeks. 

 

“Morning mom.” 

 

I drank my cup of coffee and it felt like everything is fine. 

 

Last night I’ve been analyzing myself. The strong and fast heart beats whenever I am with Jiyong. Whenever I am with him, I feel safe and my heart is warm. Although my heart beats so fast, I am calm. I am happy. And yesterday’s painful feeling in my heart is like the last straw of my stupidity and long term denials. 

 

This feeling for Kwon Jiyong. . 

 

I like Kwon Jiyong. 

 

I know, I know. It’s too ing fast! Just a month of knowing him. Barely knowing him. And yet, I liked him. Might be a simple crush but still! For starters, the moment I saw him at the club, I really find him interesting and attractive. Maybe it’s the factor as to why I liked him this damn fast. 

 

“Mom…” 

 

“Hmm?” 

 

“I think… I like someone.” I bit my inner cheeks as I suppress the smile forming. 

 

Damn it. I am an adult, I’m 28, yet I am new to this… feeling. I may have kissed boys and play with them but I don’t do feelings. And right now, I am a ing noob to these kind of emotions. 

 

Mom clasped her hands and squealed. Good thing everyone is at school so no one can eavesdrop with our conversation. And knowing my siblings, heck, they’ll throw all the bulls just to know the details and all. 

 

“Who?” Mom asked. “Oh, is it Kwon Jiyong?” 

 

I blushed. I felt it. Mom, then again, squealed. “Oh my god!” 

 

“Mom, shhh.” I shyly said, motioning her to stop squealing. 

 

“Finally! My Princess is inlove!” 

 

My eyes widened with her choice of words. “Mom! I just like him! I’m not inlove with him!” 

 

“Eventually you’ll love him, darling.” 

 

I just shook my head and finished my brunch. I’ll go to the library and wait for our class to start. 

 

As I got out of my car and went straight to the cafeteria and ordered my daily dose of Iced Coffee. I could order something on the way here but laziness got me. 

 

As I was waiting, I roam my gaze. The cafeteria is a bit crowded even though it’s past lunch time. There were group of girls laughing, some doing some dance- probably for Tiktok stuffs. 

 

After getting my drink, I start heading to the library. I need to really work hard this time. I won’t graduate with flying colors maybe but I should at least excel. 

 

I sat down and spread the reading materials on the table. Damn it. This is too many! Why did I even involve myself with Law School again? I should have practiced my Accounting degree! 

 

I start reading. It’s still a mystery why I am continuing Law School when all I want is to party and drink and be a social butterfly. I chuckled at the thought. I felt my phone vibrated. 

 

 

 

From: my love✨ 

 

Where are you? 

 

 

 

Again, I felt my heart did a backflip. Oh, so liking someone feels like this? Damn it. How can a person survive with this heart-racing feeling? 

 

I bit my lower lip as I typed my reply. 

 

 

 

Me: 

Library. You? 

 

 

 

Plain and simple. It felt like I’m so cold to him. 

 

I felt my phone vibrated again. Oh, Jiyong is a fast at replying. 

 

 

From: my love✨

I’ll be there. Wait for me. 

 

 

My eyebrows furrow. Why is he always available whenever he ask my whereabouts? He’s busy with school and their family business. It’s surprising yet I like it. I like it when he’s always available. It makes me feel somehow special. Oh, shoot. Why am I having thoughts like this? It’s too… cheesy. 

 

I just went back to reading and highlighting my notes. I won’t overthink of things that I can’t control. And right now, the only thing that I can control is my studies. 

 

It took few more minutes for him to be at the library. He gently held my shoulder and squeezed them. 

 

“Hey…” 

 

I gasped upon feeling his warm hand beneath my blazer and top. I looked at him and good radiance, why on earth is he dazzling right now? And oh, his voice! It felt like a music to my ear. And , his perfume will be the death of me! I just ing love his scent! 

 

I blinked twice, no thrice just to see it clearly. Jiyong… I can see sparkling sparks around him. It felt like it slow-down and damn it, why does it feel like Jiyong is having his own filter in my eyes? He is ten times— no, a gazillion times dashing and attractive right now! 

 

“H-Hey…” I nervously replied. “W-Why are you here?” 

 

“Because you’re here…” he said letting out a chuckle. 

 

I bit my lower lip as I looked to the other side. Dear heavens! 

 

“Oh…” the only thing I can say. 

 

I’m so speechless. Liking someone is really… amusing.