Chapter 7

The Trouble Is You

Chapter 7 


MaBi. MiLo.

 

 

“Here!” I waved my hand at Chaerin whom I bet looking for me. 

 

“Damn girl. You don’t look haggard at all!” Chaerin said as she kissed my cheeks. “The only Law Student who looks so fresh and blooming!” 

 

I giggled at her remarks. “It’s just the skin care, girl.” 

 

Chaerin sat on the seat infront of her. “So, what are we gonna do? Study or tea?” She asked knowingly. 

 

“Both.” I said while laughing. “I missed being with you!” 

 

“But you ditched me last Friday night! God! Have you seen Chanyeols face when he asked me about your whereabouts? He looks like a pissed grandpa!” 

 

I laughed. “You know he’s so possessive with me.” 

 

“And it’s not healthy.” Chaerin commented, as she rolled her eyes. “Anyways, what’s the tea?”

 

“Jiyong…” 

 

Chaerin wiggle her eyebrows. “Damn girl. Are you sure about that man? I mean, I know he’s hot but…” 

 

“I’m really, really interested, Chae. Like, 500% interested.” 

 

Chaerin gave me a meaningful look. As if she knew something I don’t know. “Hmm. 500% is kinda fishy. Are you sure you don’t have a crush on him?” 

 

I stiffened for a moment then laugh sarcastically. “Crush? What the is that?”

 

“Duh. Crush. Intense infatuation to someone—.” 

 

I rolled my eyes as I cut her. “Duh, I know what it means. But, no. I don’t have a crush on him. Chae, you know I only play. That this whole thing is just a game.” 

 

She didn’t say anything. Instead, she got to her phone and started typing something. 

 

“You feel happy when he’s around?” She randomly asked. “You constantly think of him?” 

 

“Who?”

 

Chaerin gave me a weird look. “Duh. Obviously, Jiyong.” 

 

My eyebrows furrowed but answered, “Yes.” 

 

“Do you want to talk to him? Like always?” 

 

“Yes.” I shortly replied. Indeed, I like talking to him— even if he’s usually silent and cold. “Look, I don’t have—“

 

“Last Friday night, were you afraid that your brother asked him to take you home? Did you feel safe because it’s him?” 

 

That made me think. “Surprisingly, I feel safe because it’s him.” I honestly replied. Now that she said that, she realised that maybe, unconsciously, she got drunk because she’s with Jiyong. She felt safe because it’s him. Wether it’s because his brothers know him or because it’s him— I don’t know exactly why. 

 

“Does your heart beat fast when he’s around?” 

 

I bit my inner cheeks. Should I answer it honestly? Because— “Yes. But it doesn’t mean that I have a crush on him. It’s just that Jiyong is interesting—“

 

“Oh, good Lord. You’re a playgirl and intelligent  and all but you’re so slow with your own feelings!” Chaerin said as her nose flared. I can see that she’s so invested! 

 

My eyebrows furrowed. What does she mean my own feelings? I want to laugh at her. Feelings? Nope, she doesn’t do feelings. It doesn’t suit her. She’s not into serious relationships or feelings. It scares the hell out of her system! Feelings, relationship and me combined is a big, fat, no-no to her. 

 

“You’re the only person I knew who is so smart yet so slow.” She repeated again. 

 

I tapped her hand lightly. “What the! You’re insulting me aren’t you?” 

 

Chaerin laughed as the staff placed our order on our table. “I am not. It’s just that I never imagined that time like this will really come. This is so exciting!” 

 

I rolled my eyes at her. “I don’t understand you. You’re so weird today, Chae.” 

 

“Fine, fine.” She giggled. “But this is fun.” 

 

I pull out my iPad and started to read some materials while talking to Chaerin. I miss those times where they go all out studying on weekdays and party on Friday nights like there’s no tomorrow. Chaerin is my bestfriend. My one and only. 

 

 

In awhile, I felt my phone vibrated. 

 

 

 

From: My Love✨ 

Where are you? 

 

 

 

Damn it. Slowly, a smile is formed on my face. Why does a simple text from him makes her smile like an idiot? I know I look like an idiot now! 

 

“Is that Jiyong?” Chaerin asked, while plastering a weird smile. She’s at it again! With those weird smile! 

 

“Yeah. How did you know?” 

 

Chaerin just shrug but grin. “Hmm. Just because.” 

 

 

 

Me: Yeah. Why? 

 

 

 

I was tapping my fingers on the table while waiting for his reply. Damn it. 

 

 

 

From: My Love✨

Where? I mean, exact location. 

 

 

“Oh, gosh…” I mumbled as I sent my location to him. He’s so demanding! 

 

I looked up and saw Chaerin giving me, again, those weird and meaningful look. And I hate it because it felt like she has some kind of an inside joke that she only knew. “W-What?” 

 

“Hmm. I can see the tiny, tiny smoke up from here…” she meaningfully mumbled. 

 

I just shook my head and continued to read. Chaerin also continued to silently read her case. She’s making motion requests like a monster. She’s on her work-mode. 

 

I stretched my hands and sighed. “I’m still wondering what would be my life now if I didn’t took my gap year…” 

 

Chaerin chuckled as she typed on her laptop. “We could be colleagues at partying.” 

 

I snorted. “Duh. We are.” 

 

She looked up. “Oh, well. At least you got to know Mr. Handsome Frat Alpha— oh my ing god.” Chaerin gasped as she gave me a shocked expression. She’s looking behind my back. And it scared me like ! 

 

“W-What?” I asked as I hurriedly looked behind my back. 

 

Oh, damn it. ! ! What is he doing here?

 

“Hi.” 

 

Jiyong gave me his boyish smile. Then, his eyes darted on my waist— he must be shocked that beneath the formal coat I am wearing at school, is a crop-top blouse. 

 

“Mind if I join you two?” He said then looked at Chaerin. “Hello, Attorney Chae.” 

 

“Hello. Have a seat.” Chaerin said while flashing her knowing smile. 

 

I raised my eyebrows as my lips thinned. Jiyong knows Chaerin? When? And how did he got to know her? I felt a pang of… pain on my chest. Must be gas. And I don’t like the taste of this feeling. 

 

Jiyong patted my shoulder as he sat beside me. “Did I disturb you?” 

 

“No. No.” Chaerin hurriedly replied. I raised my eyebrows, again, while looking at her. “Actually, I have to go.” She said while putting her laptop inside her bag. 

 

“Where are you going? Like, suddenly?” I asked. We were about to talk about my plan on buying a ticket for us for the Taylor Swift concert! 

 

“I got a message from my client. She… wants to talk to me.” 

 

“Chae, it’s past your office hours—“

 

“— via Skype. She needs, uhm, legal advice. ASAP. I have to go. This is an important case.” 

 

Chaerin got up and kissed my cheeks. “Thank me later…” she whispered in my ear before leaving. 

 

“What—“

 

“Bye!” 

 

I was left dumbfounded. Chaerin is weird today! Crazy weird! 

 

“Must be an important client.” Jiyong commented. “Uhm, did you order something?” 

 

I was still shocked with Chaerins action but nod at Jiyong. “Yeah.” 

 

“Just wait. I’ll order something too.” He then gently pinched my waist. Damn it. 

 

I looked at Jiyongs back as he went to the counter to order. 

 

Damn. Why is he even here? I mean, I’m happy he’s here but all of a sudden? Did he eat something weird? Why is he being nice again? 

 

When he got back, he sat beside me—which is weird! What the heck, Jiyong? I like that he’s near but right now, I can’t seem to think right. 

 

“Why are you here?” I can’t help but ask. “I… I mean, I’m happy you’re here.” 

 

“I’m glad you’re happy with my presence.” Again, that boyish smile! “But I dislike that I can see your y waist being exposed.” 

 

I look at my clothes. It’s cute. And not too daring. “It looks good on me though.” 

 

“I know.” Jiyong said. “It’s just that it’s a bit revealing.” 

 

My eyebrows furrowed. “What do you mean? And heck, I can wear whatever clothes I want.” 

 

“I know. It’s just…” his lips thinned. 

 

I sighed. “You know what, you… you are contradicting yourself, my love.” I said. 

 

Jiyongs corner lips lifted. “Hmm. How can you say I am contradicting myself?” 

 

I rolled my eyes. “You told me that the ‘ceasefire’ is over and that you’re back to the ‘cold version’ of yourself and yes, you did. You didn’t talk to me earlier at school. And yet, you are here playing ‘nice guy’. Saying things about my clothes. What’s the catch?” 

 

Jiyong chuckled and pinched the skin on my waist, for the nth time— which gained a thousand heartbeats! Good Lord! My heart… oh, crap! I’m being weird! 

 

“S-Stop it.” I said, but heck there’s no conviction to it! 

 

“Come on! I am extending the ‘ceasefire’.” 

 

“The heck?!” I looked around, embarrassed, because of the sudden raising of my voice. 

 

“Geez. I told you, you are the best study buddy—“

 

“Come on. I don’t need a study buddy.” I interrupted him. “And even if I like talking to you and be with you, and I am so ing interested with you, it’s confusing as .” 

 

“Stop cussing—“ he said, annoyed. “It doesn’t sound good—“

 

“— I can cuss anytime I want, my love.” I once again cut him. 

 

“Why all of a sudden you got so grumpy, hmm?” He said as he lean closer to me. 

 

I closed my eyes momentarily. Damn it. He smells so freaking nice! My weakness! 

 

And I thought, he’s right. Why did I become grumpy now? Earlier, I was fine. I was fine before he came. 

 

Am I grumpy because he was here? Am I grumpy because— oh, wait a minute. No, no. This… isn’t jealousy right? Heck. 

 

Earlier when Jiyong greeted Chaerin, I felt something… weird. Oh, right. Gas. 

I wanted to laugh at my own thoughts! I mean, why would I get jealous? For simply greeting my best friend? Come on! I’m not a kid who gets jealous because some other kid talked to my best friend! 

 

“Why is my baby so grumpy, hmm?” He whispered, softly. 

 

My mouth hanged. I looked at him, bewildered. Good Lord! I felt like my cheeks flushed. And again… this feeling like some wild animals running inside my stomach. And my heart! 

 

“S-Sorry?” 

 

“Why are you so grumpy? Hmm?”

 

“T-That’s not w-what you said!” Good Lord! This… isn’t good for my health! Jiyong… is not good for me! He is too much! As of the moment, I am regretting that I flirted with him! He’s dangerous! 

 

“Why is my baby so grumpy?” He whispered near my ear, this time, tenderly. 

 

I punched his thighs out of nervousness. “W-What?” 

 

“What?” He said while laughing. 

 

“F-For your information, I-I am o-older than y-you!” . The stuttering! Why am I stuttering?! 

 

“What? Am I not allowed to call you baby just because you’re older?” Jiyong shook his head with a smirk. “Damn it… Oh, well, you’re still a baby since you’re cute. Small like a button.” 

 

I didn’t just punch his thighs, I also pinched it. Jiyong just laugh at it. “S-Stop.” 

 

“Ma baby girl…” he whispered while flashing his playful smile. “Maby.” 

 

Oh, God! This is the first time I am speechless! 

 

 

 

 

I WAS STILL pouting while Jiyong kept on playing with my hair. And here I thought he’ll study! 

 

“Why don’t you move away.” I grunted. “I need to study, come on!” 

 

“Still grumpy, maby.“ 

 

I rolled my eyes which made Jiyong laugh. “Maby? What’s that?” 

 

“MaBy. Ma baby. That’s my endearment for you.”

 

My heart felt warm. This is the first time someone made my heart like this. Good Lord! Why am I feeling these feelings? 

 

“S-Stop it.” 

 

I know, I am also contradicting. 

 

I want to flirt with him but now that he’s flirting back— I can’t seem to focus! 

 

Crush? Jealous? 

 

No, no! No way in hell I am feeling those emotions! And if it’s true, that I am quote-have a crush on Jiyong—end of quote, then hell must be freezing! Or maybe Penguins can fly!

 

I bit my lower lip. It’s not… it’s not possible! I’m just here for the game! This is… supposed to be just a fun game. Nothing more, nothing less. 

 

And I hate Chaerin for telling me those… weird insights! Argh! 

 

“This is all Chaerins fault…” I mumbled as I grab my highlighter. 

 

“Hmm?” Jiyong said out of words. 

 

“Nothing.” 

 

“Order for Jiyong!” I heard the staff called out. 

 

“I’ll be right back. Wait a minute.” He said and gave me a slight smile. 

 

Oh, God! This shouldn’t be happening! Why am I happy he’s actually telling me he’ll be back? And those smile? Why? I mean, I like his smile but why is it confusing the hell out of me? 

 

“Oh, crap.” I mumbled. 

 

Jiyong got back and placed so many food. And drinks. 

 

“Hungry?” I asked.

 

He shook his head and smile. “This… is mine.” He said while pointing the pasta and the coffee. “While this… is yours.” 

 

Jiyong pointed the cake, sandwich and many more. 

 

I looked at him, shocked. “W-Why?” 

 

“Because you like eating and I like feeding you…?” 

 

I giggled and smiled at him. “Aww. Thank you.”

 

“Now, you’re not grumpy anymore.” 

 

“I was…” I don’t know what to say. Honestly, I’m confused right now. 

 

No, no. There’s nothing to be confused, Dara. You don’t have a crush or like Jiyong. You’re just interested. Yes, because he is interesting. 

 

“I’m glad Maby isn’t grumpy anymore.” He simply said while sipping his all time favourite coffee. 

 

I pouted as I suppress the smile forming. “Well, let’s just study and go home around 12. How was that?” 

 

Jiyong nod. 

 

We were just silently reading and from time to time discussing. Being with Jiyong, I mean studying with him, is really assuring. He’s smart and has so many inputs that I can learn so many things. His way of thinking is really attractive. 

 

Oh, yeah. Me and my dibs for smart people. 

 

I stretched my arms and legs as we finished studying. 

 

“Damn. It’s past 12 huh.” I mumbled. 

 

I look on my side and saw Jiyong still concentrating on reading. I didn’t bother to interrupt his concentration. Instead, I got to my phone and started to go to Instagram. And a weird idea came. 

 

“I’ll just go to the toilet.” I told him. 

 

Jiyong nod. “Be careful.” 

 

I rolled my eyes at him. “It’s just—“

 

“— just be careful.” 

 

“Fine, fine.” 

 

I actually didn’t go to the toilet. I just stand on his back and took a picture— his back and side profile that doesn’t really show his face while studying. 

 

I silently sat beside him. “I’m back.” 

 

He looked up. “You’re fast.” 

 

I just smile. “No one’s inside.” 

 

He nod. He stretched his arm and smile. “It’s getting late. Should we…?” 

 

I nod. “Yes, we should.” 

 

He helped me organize my things. I was about to carry my bag when he grab them. 

 

“Hey…” 

 

“I can carry them.” I said. 

 

He just smile. “I know. But I want to carry them.” 

 

I just shrug and walked but deep inside of me, I was touched. I bit my lower lip and tried my best not smile. “O-kay. Thanks.” 

 

When got out of the cafe and was about to bid our goodbye he then faced me. “Give me your keys. I’ll drive.” 

 

I looked at him, confused. “Huh?” 

 

“I’ll drive you home. Give me your keys.” 

 

“How about your car?” I said. I looked around and didn’t see his black car. “Where did you park?” 

 

He chuckled. “I didn’t bring my car. I rode a taxi earlier.” 

 

“W-Why?” 

 

“Because I don’t want to convoy. I want to take you home and see you safely get inside.” Jiyong gave me a warm smile. “Now, give me your keys so we can put our stuffs and can go home, okay?” 

 

I simply nod and gave him the car keys. He put our things at the backseat and open the doors for me. Gentleman, as usual. 

 

“Thanks.” I mumbled. He even put my seatbelts on. 

 

“Anything for my passenger princess, Maby.” He said while giving me a wink. 

 

I looked away as I heard him laugh. Yeah, right. Flirting is his game. He was once a master to this game. 

 

“Hey, no cellphone when you’re with me.” He said as he got inside the car. 

 

I rolled my eyes at him. “I just texted dad that I’ll be going home with you.” 

 

“Fine.” 

 

He started the engine and drove. It’s really weird someone else is driving my car. This car is my baby. 

 

I connected my phone to the car speaker and put on the music that I like. 

 

“Singer?” Jiyong asked as I started to hum to the music. 

 

I grinned. “Taylor Swift.” 

 

He just grin and silently drive. 

 

Most of the people, I mean guys, don’t like Taylor Swift. My siblings, particularly Chanyeol, don’t like that I am crazy over T. Swift. Just kidding, he even pre-ordered an album for me. Channie is so supportive and I love him. 

 

“It’s new, the shape of your body. It’s blue, the feeling I’ve got and it’s ooh, woah-oh. It’s cruel summer…” I sang along while closing my eyes. 

 

I heard Jiyongs soft chuckle. “You have a cute voice.” 

 

I looked away and pouted. “T-Thank you.” 

 

“So, you’re a fan.” He commented. “Since when?” 

 

“Since she started?” I giggled. “She got me from the ‘teardrops on my guitar’ era.” 

 

Jiyong nod. I sang the bridge with all of my heart and Jiyong was just silently listening to me. From time to time he’ll nod his head and tap his finger on the steering wheel. 

 

“And we’re here.” Jiyong said as he pull over right infront of my house. 

 

I looked at him and smile. “Thank you.” 

 

“Hmm. That’s it?” He mumbled. 

 

My eyebrows furrowed. “What do you mean?” 

 

He chuckle. “Just kidding.” 

 

He unbuckled his seatbelt and went out. He opened the door for me and unbuckled my seatbelt too. 

 

“How about you? How will you go home now?” I asked as he get our things from the backseat. 

 

“I just live a few blocks from here. I’ll just walk.” 

 

I bit my lower lip. “It’s not safe. It’s already past midnight.” 

 

Jiyong pinched the bridge of my nose. “I’ll be fine. Now go inside. It’s getting cold. You’re wearing thin clothing.” There’s a hint of annoyance to his voice. 

 

“Why don’t you use my car? Just… bring it back tomorrow before going to school.” 

 

He chuckle. “I’ll be fine. Really. The village is a safe place.” 

 

I just nod. “Then, text me when you got home, a’right?” 

 

“Yes, Maby.” 

 

I looked away as a smile. No, I couldn’t contain that smile anymore. I waved at him and entered our house. 

 

I felt like my cheeks were burning. I went to my room and took a quick shower. I received a text from him saying: ‘I got home safe and sound. Good night, Maby. Dream of me😉😉’ 

 

I bit my lower lip as I  type my reply. 

 

 

Me: 

That’s good. You too sleep well. And dream of me, mi love🫶🏻 

 

 

But sleep is elusive to me because it’s been 30 mins and I can’t fall asleep. 

 

I decided to go to my Instagram and do what I’m supposed to do earlier— and that is to upload a picture! 

 

I posted a story earlier: my date with Chaerin and our messy table. But now, I will upload the picture of Jiyong— I mean, not his face but his back. 

 

I put a caption: ✨study time with MiLo✨

 

 

MiLo. Mi Love. 

 

 

The moment I uploaded the story, I got a tagged story notification. I opened it and saw that it was a story of Jiyong with a caption— with Ma Baby. MaBy.🫶🏻

 

It was a picture of my back. I know it was my back because of the crop top shirt she’s wearing! 

 

I clenched my heart as I felt like it’s beating so damn fast. “Damn it. Am I having a heart attack?”