twenty [final]

Concealed Truths
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
twenty

 

[3rd Person POV]
Kihyun paced the road outside of the Im’s house, glancing down at his watch every few minutes but there was still no sign of Changkyun. He had hesitated multiple times, considering ringing the doorbell or banging on the gates, but he decided just to wait.
Suddenly the sound of the screeching of metal gates made Kihyun jump and he quickly turned around to find Changkyun leaving the house. "Wait. Where are your bags?" Kihyun called out to him confused as Changkyun sighed deeply and dropped his head. Kihyun looked behind him to see if anyone else was bringing out Changkyun's bags behind him but the metal gates had closed. "Why are you empty handed?" Kihyun asked him again as Changkyun looked up at him with a sad expression. Kihyun frowned as he glanced down at Changkyun's hand to find a small piece of paper clutched tightly in his fist. 
"I can't come with you..." Changkyun hesistated as Kihyun continued frowning, "I'm moving back to live here." Changkyun glanced up awkwardly at Kihyun as Kihyun remained speechless, simply frowning at him and stuttering repeatedly.
“Did something happen in there?! What happened to make you change your mind? Are your parents in there?!” Kihyun called out loudly as he rushed past Changkyun and began repeatedly ringing on the intercom doorbell and banging his fists on the gates. 

 

Changkyun gasped as he quickly ran towards Kihyun, trying to stop him and pull him away before he caused any more commotion and created more noise. “Kihyun! Please!” He cried out as Kihyun sighed deeply and finally stopped after hearing his brother’s pleading.
“You only went in there to get the rest of your things! What changed?!” Kihyun questioned Changkyun in a slightly annoyed tone as he began pacing the road and Changkyun watched him.
Changkyun dropped his head as Kihyun sighed deeply and stopped in front of him. The two brothers looked at each other for a few seconds in silence before Changkyun picked up Kihyun’s hand and placed the piece of paper into his hand from his fist. Kihyun frowned as he looked down at the piece of paper in his hand and found an address written in Japanese. “This...” he stuttered as Changkyun nodded.
“It’s where your parents are in Japan.” Changkyun confirmed as Kihyun gasped slightly.
“Is this why? Is this why you’re staying here? Did they make you stay and let you give us this? Changkyun! I can think of something! You don’t have to do this!” Kihyun whined loudly as Changkyun shook his head. 

 

“Changkyun, just let me think of something ok?” Kihyun pleaded with him as Changkyun continued to shake his head. It was no use. There was no way Changkyun was going to get out of his parents’ grasp. If they were able to send two people away to Japan, they would definitely be able to keep him right where they wanted, and that was at home with them, so they could carry on with some kind of ‘normal’, in time for Changkyun to take part in their family business.
“Please don’t tell Kyungah, ok? Just... at least do that for me.” Changkyun asked Kihyun as they both sighed and Kihyun reluctantly agreed.
“Ok. But I’m still going to try and think of something, ok? I’m not letting you stay here for too long. You’re my younger brother.” Kihyun told him with a slightly stern voice as Changkyun sighed again but smiled slightly at the word ‘brother.’
Changkyun began to turn away as Kihyun’s face dropped and watched his younger brother wander back to the gates of the house. They both glanced back at each other a few times before the gates opened and a lady appeared with a concerned look on her face.
“Come inside now, it’s too cold outside.” She said to Changkyun as Kihyun could only guess it was Mrs Im and the gates slammed closed behind them. Kihyun dropped his head down and stared at the floor blankly as the realisation hit him.

 

 

[Changkyun’s POV]
I nervously pulled open the door to the apartment and looked around, but there was no sign of Kyungah. It was the first time I had ever felt so nervous seeing Kyungah, but I knew I had to tell her sooner rather than later. “Kyungah?!” I called out as I heard footsteps and gulped quietly. 
“There you are!” She called out happily as she appeared from a different room and I gave her a bright smile so I didn’t seem suspicious before I told her. “Do you want me to help you with your bags?” She asked me before hesitating, “Are they outside..?” 
"Uh.. Can we talk first?" I stuttered before asking her and she nodded to me with a slight frown.
"Is something wrong?" Kyungah asked me confused as we sat together on the sofa and I took her hands in mine, holding them tightly. "Something is wrong isn't it? When Kihyun came back earlier, he looked awkward and he just told me you would be back later. But then he left quickly and said he had things to do, but now you're back without your bags and-" She began panicking and rambling as I hesistated which interrupted her. We both looked at each other slightly for a few seconds before we sighed deeply at the same time.
“I’m going back to live with my parents and sisters...” I began as Kyungah immediately frowned and shuffled away from me slightly on the sofa. “... They still raised me for 25 years, even though they did that completely horrible thing, they still gave me a good life and looked after me.” I continued as Kyungah remained frowning before she stood up and wandered around the room. I gulped slightly as I watched her nervously and she suddenly stopped, turning to face me.

 

“That sounds nothing like how you’ve been feeling lately. You’ve never ever thought anything like that. What happened? Were your parents there when you went back and they convinced you to stay?” Kyungah questioned me as I shook my head awkwardly before looking down at the floor, “You’re not a good liar Changkyun, and you can’t hide your real feelings well either.” 
“I’m not-“ I began but Kyungah interrupted me and crossed her arms. 
“I know you are. You're exactly like Kihyun. He can't lie well either." Kyungah sighed as we heard the passcode of the door being entered and the door clicked open. Both of our attentions turned to the door as Kihyun appeared in the doorway. He glanced at both of us before flashing us an awkward smile and began to step backwards. "Maybe you can tell me then?" Kyungah asked Kihyun as he sighed and entered the apartment, realising there was no way he could get out of the situation he had just walked in to. 
I glanced at Kihyun as he glanced at me, but there was no use of us staying something silently to each other, something to understand each other or Kihyun finding out what was going on or what I've told Kyungah, because she was watching both of us like a hawk. "Can you tell me why Changkyun is going back to live in that house? I think Mr and Mrs Im have convinced him to stay because of something... and you went with him earlier so you will know what happened. Right?" Kyungah questioned Kihyun as I looked at him with widened eyes and he immediately began stuttering. He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly as he glanced at me before looking back at Kyungah. 

 

"I'm going back there because I have to stay there, because you won't be here..." I told Kyungah after taking a deep breath in. Kyungah frowned as she approached me and sat back down with her back to Kihyun. I glanced across at Kihyun and gestured towards the door without Kyungah seeing as he quickly nodded and quietly escaped back out the apartment before Kyungah killed the both of us. 
"What do you mean I won't be here..." Kyungah stuttered as I sighed deeply and took her hands again in mine and she had finally calmed down, the anger in her had disappeared and now she was more nervous and concerned. 
"Because you'll be in Japan with your parents and Kihyun, and I can't come with you. So I'll stay here with my parents... like it's always been." I explained to Kyungah with a slight weakness in my voice. We both looked at each other silently for a long time, maybe a minute, maybe two. We just held hands and looked at each other. 
Kyungah sighed deeply and nodded to me with a reassuring smile, "I understand" she simply told me as I frowned slightly at her response. It wasn't the response I was expecting, but I also didn't know what to expect. "Thank you for finding my parents," She said as she leant forward and hugged me as I wrapped my arms around her tightly.

 

~

 

[Kihyun’s POV]
'We're out of them, but you can try the store two streets down, they may have some left' I remembered the coffee shop worker telling me as I wandered through several streets before I reached their other store. I knew Kyungah had been wanting to try a new promotional iced coffee and with everything going on, it was a good time to find it for her, at least it would cheer her up. 
I finally found their other store as I entered and looked around, there seemed to be so many people drinking their new iced coffee, I just hoped they had some left for Kyungah, but that was when I spotted her. Mrs Im.
My eyes widened slightly as I quickly dropped my head but it was too late, she had already seen me too. I glanced back at her as her eyes were watching me and I sighed deeply to myself. Although I had caught a gli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter