Story 4 - 'A Better Me'

"This is I Promise You"

[The Crown - 12:25 PM]

 

After spending some time together and had lunch together, Ji Yong left first to pick up Jihyun because they have a dinner date tonight.

And so does Taehyung, he need to go home early today because of the family gathering.

 

“Give my regards to your Sister, it’s been almost two years since I met her. I’m glad she remembered to back to Korea, haha.”

Taehyung suddenly stop walking and only stare at Yoona without saying a word.

“What? Why?”

 

Taehyung still stare at Yoona at the front door without saying a word.

 

“Spit it Kim Taehyung! I know you want to say something since hours ago.”

“Are you ok? Why you so … weird today?”

“Weird? Me? How come?”

“Well, I don’t know… it’s just strange. Did you really get over your feeling for Ji Yong? That fast?”

 

Yoona only stay still, and lost in her thought.

 

“Yoong….”

“You know Taehyung-ahh, after that night, I happened to saw Ji Yong and Jihyun again. I’m on my way back from the piano class, and I happened to saw Ji Yong with Jihyun in front of her house. That night, it makes me realize that; ‘ahh loves really look good on Ji Yong’. He seems really happy with Jihyun, and love her so much. There’s no way that I can come in between them. I cried? Of course, but then I accidently saw Haenim Sunim posted on his SNS, you know that famous author… and that makes me realized that I need to stop my one sided love all for once as soon as possible, and start to love myself more. It’s impossible to say that I already get over my feelings for him within 3 days, even just from this morning my heart still fluttered when I saw him. But, this is the process that I’ve to going through … “

“Ah, so that’s why I saw Haenim Sunim books in living room just now. But, you don’t need to runaway to Europe just to move on, right?”

 

Yoona could hear Taehyung a little bit furious from his tone.

 

“Umm, well Taehyung-ahh… For my decision to go to Europe, for my decision to study in Europe, it’s not an excuse for me to runaway, it’s not because I’m trying to move on from Ji Yong. It has nothing to do with Ji Yong, I’m not running away or whatsoever , it always been my dream to study there. You know about it right? I always like Europe, and even dream about living there if I’m not bounded to inherit my father business here. And, I think it’s the right thing to do, to be a better Lim Yoona isn’t it? So you won’t called me dumb again, haha.”

 

Taehyung again, only stay silent while staring at Yoona. He looks so flustered by the sudden decision that Yoona made.

 

“Ya! Taehyung! Kim Taehyung … You will support me right?”

 

Taehyung dumbfounded, he can’t believe that it only took 3 days for Lim Yoona to become such a mature girl. She’s not crying again over a stupid one sided love,  usually right now Taehyung will run to get an ice cream for Yoona, because she definitely will crying when talked about Ji Yong and Jihyun. But now, Yoona smiles, a bitter smile without tears. The night that Yoona saw Ji Yong and Jihyun for the second time must be really broke her heart at the point that she become numb and tired of the false hope. But, to the point that Yoona realized this might be the right time to have a new start, to become a better person for herself, that’s really unexpected thing from the childish Lim Yoona. Or maybe after all these years, Taehyung still not that close to Yoona? Or maybe, Yoona is still the person who’s so close yet so far for him?

 

“(Ji Yong-ahh, what the hell that you’re doing to make Yoona this way?—said Taehyung to himself)”

 

“Ya! Kim Taehyung! You won’t say anything? Is that too shocking for you?”

“Yeah, you almost make me faint. I should thank Haenim Sunim for this. I will send the flowers to him tomorrow.”

“Ya! How dare you!”

“Haha… I really am thankful towards him. Well, Yoona-ahh, I will forever rooting for you. This time, I won’t be negative towards you, I’m happy to hear that finally you’ve found the true purpose of your life. I will wait, wait for that new Lim Yoona that you’ve fight for.”

 

Taehyung smiles while rubbing Yoona’s cheek and hair.

Yoona only smiles shyly. For the first time, Taehyung be so gentle towards her. Usually he will mocked her for saying those move on words or anything about Ji Yong and study abroad.

 

“But, you really won’t tell me which university that you will be going? Or which part of Europe that you will live in?”

“No! I won’t tell anyone besides my parents and my secretary. I don’t want anyone to follow me there.”

“Ya! Like hell I will follow you there. I’m only curious, nothing more. ”

“Ck! Who knows? The antisocial prince Taehyung will follow me around even after I study in Europe.”

“Ugh, so annoying. Bye Yoong~ See you at school later!”

“Haha.. Bye, take care.”

***

 

 

“Looked at one way, my decision might seem self-centered, and in another way, like a brave choice. But just once, for just once moment in my life, I had to try to live a life without regret. Even if others scorn me and mock my decision, only having done it can I look at myself and say with confidence that I have loved my life.”

Haenim Sunim, Love For Imperfect Things.