Four

Twisted Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Which one?" Kai thought out loud. On each of his hands sat two different packs of bread, waiting to be picked and bought. He's having a hardship choosing between muffins and cinnamon roll.

 

Kai is currently in a bakery, just as he decided earlier when his stomach begged for food. The place is known for its heavenly tasting bread and pleasing interior design. The bakery is full of warmth from the bread and dim yellow lights. Plants in the corners make the bakery livelier and welcoming to customers.

 

But still, none of that helped Kai. He's still stuck in the middle of an inner debate, whether to buy this or that.

 

The woman behind the counter flashed a smile, revealing her white teeth behind a painted-red-lips when Kai finally gave up and handed both packs of bread to her. She placed them in a small gray box, the name of the bakery printed on top. Daily Delights

 

As soon as the change for his payment reached his palm, he left the place with a satisfied grin. The bell chimed when he opened the door; on his way, his eyes met a woman's and gave her a polite smile.

 

He's going to walk today since he did not bring his car. The bakery is quite near to his place, or at least that's what he thinks. The sudden presence of the sun makes him question his decision to walk; it was not like this earlier; the shade is everywhere when he was on his way. He took his time picking but ended up buying both; now, he has to walk under the scorching sun.

 

Walking on the sidewalk means listening to a non-stop vehicle noise, which wasn't an issue for Kai, but today is the first time in forever that he'll be irritated by it. The constant honking of the cars rang in his ears as he takes each step.

 

People who walk past him either glared at him, forced a smile, or nothing at all, not that he's expecting anything.

 

When he stopped in front of a pet shop to rest, he spotted a familiar person from a five-star restaurant across the busy road. He squinted his eyes a bit, trying to see clearly, but the light reflecting from the restaurant glass made it difficult.

 

As he blinks the sunlight away from his eyes, he turns around to see a bunch of pets playing inside; mostly cats and dogs. Most people who go in only check them out; some are trying to play by making cute faces.

 

From the reflection of the glass, he could see a guy coming out of the restaurant, wiping his eyes as he walks away. Turning around with a frown, he follows him with his gaze before he decided to walk with him on the other side of the road.

 

"Sehun," he breathed with furrowed brows; they're walking together at the same pace, but with a great distance full of loud cars.

 

When the traffic light turned red, Kai used the opportunity to cross the road. It satisfies him to see the booming vehicles pausing. The burning sunlight kissed him once again when he stepped on the other side of the road. His eyes darted to the pale boy walking before him with a small distance; he's wearing a yellow shirt paired with a pair of jeans.

 

Kai jogged to his side and walked with him; his presence remains unnoticed, for the other is too busy sniffing and scratching his reddened eyes.

 

"Hey," he called. Sehun turned to him immediately before looking away and rubbing his eyes again.

 

Kai watched with a disturbed expression. He reached for his handkerchief in the pocket of his jeans and handed it to Sehun. The pale boy only gave him a shake of his head before saying he does not need it, even if he does.

 

The silence is not awkward; well, it isn't counted as silence because they have the noise of the city as their background. Kai didn't know what to say next, knowing that he and Sehun weren't close.

 

He raised the box of bread he bought earlier in front of Sehun, "Are you hungry?" he questioned, a slight smirk forming on his lips. Kai heard that one of the best ways to cope with sadness is by eating, but it still doesn't change the fact that Sehun came out of a restaurant.

 

The other didn't answer him; instead, Sehun stopped walking and sat in front of a candy shop. He sighed heavily, having his eyes glued to the ground. One could feel the weight of the world by looking at him.

 

Even without an invitation, Kai sat down beside him and placed the box on top of his shoes. "Why are you crying?" he then asked. He did not mean to be this straightforward, but it's bothering him.

 

Sehun did not respond again; he just stared at the passing cars with lifeless eyes. He has his arms wrapped around his folded knees; his chin is resting on top.

 

Kai watched him silently, trying to figure out the answer to his question, but he realized that he wouldn't get anything.

 

He didn't know why he's here instead of his house, they aren't even friends, but here he is, hoping that Sehun would tell about his problem.

 

When a tear spilled from Sehun's eyes, he didn't stop himself from wiping it with his thumb. His hand was slightly pushed away by the other, who wiped his tears. Sehun then rested his forehead on his folded knees and sobbed silently.

 

Kai raised his hands and ran it up and down Sehun's back, trying to comfort him. The warmth of his hand spreads on the other's back. His thoughts were filled with the possible reasons why Sehun ended up like this.

 

"It's okay," he whispered; he may not be as close to him as with Chanyeol, but he knows how it feels when the world is crashing down with no one to give comfort.

 

It took some time before Sehun raised his head again, the dried tears from his eyes scream a thousand words Kai co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter