One

Twisted Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dark clouds kissed the city with its tears and hugged the trees with the wind, leaving a pile of muds on the road. Windows of the cars were decorated with continuous drops of water; tires rolled against the wet surface of the road.

 

It was a cold night, a perfect night to stay within the walls of a warm home while having a cup of hot chocolate, sit by the fireplace, or watch a movie while petting a cat. That's the ideal way to spend a rainy night for many people, just cozying up inside.

 

Kai did not find himself doing any of those; instead, he's seated in his car. His eyes wandered the road filled with blurry lights through the wet windshield; the muffled sound of the wiper blades and his soft breathing ran inside the car.

 

Thinking of the possible things he could do inside his house while enjoying the sound of the rain against his roof, he let out a soft sigh. He's out here, forced to do a favor for his best friend.

 

The bouquet of red roses, neatly arranged in a cream-colored netting fabric with a goldish ribbon tied around it, is placed along with the boxes of dark chocolates and a stuffed toy at the backseat of his car. The perfume sprayed on the bouquet dominated the air inside and clung onto his nose.

 

It's their first anniversary today.

 

Theirs. Not his and his non-existing lover's.

 

The apartment is quite far from his house, and accepting the request is just plain stupid, but Kai always finds it hard to refuse to people, especially his best friend, Chanyeol. They have been friends for a long time now; he already considers him as a brother.

 

Kai is aware of the fact that his best friend would give him a hand whenever he needs him as well; they have each one's backs; as to why he found himself driving in the middle of a rainy night.

 

Earlier this afternoon, after a long session of playing on his computer, his body laid on the warmth of his bed with his blanket hugging him tightly. The ticking of the clock and muffled sound of the cars from the outside are the only sound heard.

 

When the time was pushing to 5 PM, a call interrupted his moment of peace; waking him up from his slumber. With a groan, he slowly pushed himself up and blinked quickly before he rubbed his sleepy eyes. Kai grabbed his ringing phone from the bedside table and stared at the screen for a moment before finally answering the call.

 

It was Chanyeol, as always. His phone does not have many contacts at all, just his family and Chanyeol. Kai does not have many friends either, but that did not stop him from being a flirt.

 

Can I ask for a favor? That was the first thing Chanyeol spoke of through the phone. Judging from the tone of his voice, he knew he wouldn't be rejected. He knew Kai since they were young, and to say that he had memorized him is almost a fact. Almost.

 

Kai stood up from his bed, his blanket falling on the floor when it clung to his body. He made his way towards the kitchen to have a glass of water; the constant sleep he had for almost four hours dried his throat.

 

You know today is our first anniversary, right? The other started, I just want you to give these chocolates and flowers to hi-

 

"No," Kai sharply cut him off before gulping the water. He felt refreshed when the cold water ran through his throat. About Chanyeol's request, it makes him want to bang his head on the wall; Kai does not do things like that; he's never been in a serious relationship, and thinking about it makes him cringe.

 

Chanyeol's plead followed right away; We are at the hospital right now; I went to accompany my mom for her check-up. He reasoned. Kai knows how much his best friend loves his mother, for he always put him first before anything else. When they found out that she was sick, Chanyeol was so close to losing his mind.

 

With a sigh escaping from his lips, he replied. "Fine; you owe me a lot for this". Kai placed the glass on the sink and headed to the living room. It's empty; just couches, television, coffee table, and a lamp on the side. He does not have much knowledge about flourishing a space, nor does he care about it.

 

Sure, what do you want me to do? Find you a partner? A breathy laugh was heard from the other line.

 

Kai sat on his couch with his feet resting on the table. "What time should I pick up your disgusting gifts?" he questioned, ignoring the other.

 

There was a second of silence before Chanyeol cleared his throat. It's already at your front door.

 

Kai jolted up from his seat with irritation flowing through his veins; he walked to his door and opened it, only to be greeted by the colorful things; his lips slowly parted in disbelief.

 

"So, you drove here to drop these, instead of going directly at Baekhyun's apartment?"

 

Yes.

 

Kai deeply sighed; there's no point in arguing with the other, Chanyeol is going to win; Chanyeol's competitiveness is just too much.

 

"This will be the last time I'm going to do a favor for you," he spat, though it's a lie.

 

Kai ended the call when he heard the other mocking him; he went back to his room after putting Chanyeol's gifts on the couch; he laid on his bed with one arm resting on his forehead.

 

Kai hasn't seen Baekhyun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter