Career Commitment

Path to Your Dreams

Saturday Morning, Week 9

Changsub and Hyunsik's Dorm

Hyunsik woke up to the sound of something small clattering to the ground and opened his eyes with a start. He looked down to find he'd fallen asleep at his desk hugging his guitar again.

Hyunsik groggily reached down to the floor to grab the guitar pick that had fallen out of his mouth. As he came back up he noticed Changsub curled up on his bed still wearing the same clothes from the day before.

"When did he come back last night?"

Hyunsik set his guitar aside and got up.

"Changsub?"

He peered over the bed. Changsub was still awake, staring blankly at the wall with swollen eyes.

This wasn't good.

"What did you do." Said Hyunsik.

"What do you think I tried to do." Changsub said in a hoarse voice, still staring at the wall.

Hyunsik looked down at the half empty bottle of vodka sitting at the foot of Changsub's bed. Changsub hadn't even bothered to close the bottle. Hyunsik sighed. He didn't need to ask. It was pretty obvious that Changsub had been rejected last night. Badly by the looks of it.

Hyunsik hadn't talked much with Changsub about his recent "thing" with Chorong but he'd been noticing changes here and there and he had seen this coming. In fact everyone had.

The friend group had been gossiping and conspiring in separate group chats without Changsub and Chorong knowing for a while now. For the most part everyone had agreed to wait and let the two sort out their ambiguous friendship organically with the exception of Bomi. That crazy girl just continued pestering Chorong the same as she had been from the beginning. Hyunsik didn't approve of such meddling and had left the issue untouched.

Hyunsik sighed as he looked at Changsub's pitiful form on the bed.

"I think you fell too hard too fast my dude." Hyunsik said.

Changsub groaned and pulled his blanket up over his head. He didn't like Hyunsik looking at his face when he was a complete wreck like this.

He'd been rethinking everything and he did have to admit that some of the stuff he'd said to Chorong might've been a bit over dramatic. But then again, he'd never been very good with his emotions to begin with.

"I'm such a ing idiot…" He mumbled from inside the blanket.

Hyunsik sighed again.

"You got that right."

Hyunsik picked up the bottle of vodka and looked around for the cap. When he found it he closed the bottle and returned it to their secret stash in the closet. He turned back to Changsub.

"You know I don't understand how you went from 'just hanging out' to suddenly spilling your guts out about being in love with her in the span of just two weeks." Hyunsik said sitting back down at his desk.

"How the hell should I know?!" Changsub snapped.

He wasn't even sure how he'd gotten to that point either. One day Chorong was just a good friend being there for him and then suddenly he couldn't stop thinking about the way she smiled at him, the way she laughed, the way she scolded him, the way she calmed his temper, and the way she sipped her coffee in class. Damn he just loved everything about her.

He sighed. Hyunsik was probably right about falling too fast but he couldn't have helped it. That girl just seemed to make him feel right at home and yet she mystified him at the same time.

Hyunsik fiddled with his guitar pick for a moment before speaking again.

"Soooo…what happened then are you two gonna be cool after this or are you guys not talking or what?" He asked.

Changsub didn't answer. He didn't want to say it. Saying it would make it real.

"Dude just tell me okay? The friend group needs to know so we don't make things weird for you two." Hyunsik said. 

Changsub almost wanted to cry again.

"We're not friends anymore." He croaked in a tiny voice.

"I see." Hyunsik said. 

"Do you hate her?" He asked after a moment's pause.

Changsub shook his head under the blanket. God no he could never hate Chorong but he hated the fact that she'd chosen not to open her heart for anyone in favor of chasing her dreams. And yet he loved her for it. Why did her career commitment have to be so goddamn attractive? It wasn't fair.

"Aish…"

Changsub finally pulled off the blanket. It was getting too stuffy. He turned away towards the wall so Hyunsik couldn't see his face and let out a frustrated sigh.

"I'm such a mess man I didn't deserve her to begin with. She's got her whole damn life planned out ahead of her and I'm just sitting here being a sulking loser without a freaking clue what I'm going to do with my music degree." He punched the mattress angrily.

"Dude chill you're not going to die from one heartbreak." Hyunsik said calmly.

"Well I'm not exactly 'living' am I." Changsub scoffed bitterly.

Hyunsik sighed heavily then checked his phone.

"Go wash up, the rehearsal rooms are opening soon."

"I don’t feel like it." Changsub said stubbornly.

"Don’t be stupid you'll feel better after a jam session with Eunkwangie hyung now get out of those stinking clothes and get in the shower already." Hyunsik said chuckling as he got up to pack his guitar.

Changsub grumbled something that sounded a lot like "feel better my " before dragging himself up from his bed and plodding over to the bathroom.

Hyunsik winced slightly as Changsub slammed the bathroom door behind him.

"Poor guy…"

 

 

-----

 

 

A/N I think I rushed into last chapter a little bit too fast haha…I wanted to get to the juicy bits…OTL. If I ever decide to do major revisions I may add some more development chapters in between or do a group chat insert but ehh…will I actually come back to it who knows.