The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 22

The Gangster Who Loved Me

It seemed that Sunggyu had been mistaken.  He had assumed that they were some criminal organisation.  Sunggyu let out a deep sigh.

"I'm sorry I cannot recall any of that," said Sunggyu.  "But if it's true and I did do all these terrible things you said then you can do what you want.  After all, it's not like I can escape in this condition."

"If I really wanted to kill you then I wouldn't have stopped Hoya," said Myungsoo.  "When they find out about my betrayal they'll send someone else to finish the job but, as long as I'm here I won't let them kill you."

"I thought you hated me," said Sunggyu.  "Why are you doing this then?"

"Because I-"  Myungsoo stopped abruptly.  "We were once friends."

There was a moment of silence between them until Sunggyu decided to climb out of bed, but Myungsoo stopped him.

"What are you doing?" Myungsoo asked.

"I have to go find Woohyun," said Sunggyu.  "He's in danger."

"Woohyun?" said Myungsoo.  "You mean the biker brat that was with you?"

Sunggyu nodded.  "He's in trouble.  I have to find him."

"Even if you did find him, what can you do in your current state?" Myungsoo asked in a mocking tone.

"If I could, I would exchange my life for his," Sunggyu admitted.

Myungsoo scoffed.  "That's a roundabout way of saying you love someone.  If he's so important to you then I'll help you find him."

Sunggyu's face beamed with delight.

Myungsoo smiled bitterly upon seeing Sunggyu's expression.  If that's what makes you happy, I'll do it.  He grabbed his jacket and sword and walked out.


Walking along the deserted streets, Myungsoo couldn't help but sense that someone was following him.  He continued walking until he sensed a killing intent approaching from behind.  He immediately turned around and was faced with a blade aiming straight at his throat.  With his quick reflex he raised his sword, concealed inside his jacket, to block the blade.  What he did not expect was a second blade slicing the air from the side.  Leaving the scabbard to block the first blade, Myungsoo unsheathed his sword to block the second blade.

The masked figure followed through with an onslaught of attacks with the two swords in his hands.  Myungsoo was able to keep up with his fast attacks, blocking the blades that aimed to end him.  Myungsoo knew that he would be hunted but he also knew that no one from the group could match his skills.  Yet, this person was different.

"Who are you?" Myungsoo asked.

The masked figure shrugged nonchalantly.  "I'm only here for the money."

Myungsoo frowned.  "You're a mercenary?"

"It seems that this person must have done some terrible thing for your commander to put out such a large reward for his head," said the masked figure.  "There's a lot more competition now that every man and his dog is after him."

From the masked figure's words, Myungsoo knew that the man was after Sunggyu.

"If you tell me where you've hidden him then I'll pretend I didn't see you," said the masked figure.

Myungsoo held out his sword ready to take the masked figure on.

"Or we could do this the hard way," said the masked figure raising both sides in his hands, ready to attack.

The two charged at each other, clashing their swords once again.  Myungsoo knew he had to finish this quickly.  Sunggyu was in danger and he had to get back to him.  Though try as he might, he knew that he was at a disadvantage with only one sword against his opponent's dual blade and as much as he hated to admit it, he could tell that this person was a level above him.

Amidst the battle, they heard footsteps approaching.  When the masked figure saw the the group of armed men arriving on the scene, he stopped and stepped back.

"Looks like they're here for you," said the masked figure.  "To be honest, I already know where you're hiding him but I enjoyed our little sparing session.  Let's do it again some time if you're still alive."

With those words, the masked figure retreated.  Myungsoo tried to stop him but the group of armed masked men had him surrounded.

"L, for the crime of betrayal, your punishment is death," declared one of the men.


Sunggyu jolted when he heard the door bell.  He wondered who it could be.  He figured that Myungsoo would have a key this place.  The door bell rang again.  He slowly searched his way towards the direction of the sound of the door bell.  He stood at the door but did not open it.  The door bell rang a third time.

"Who is it?" Sunggyu finally asked.

"Dongwoo," came the reply.  "Woohyun's in trouble."

Upon hearing those words, Sunggyu immediately opened the door.