The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 2

The Gangster Who Loved Me

He stood and looked at the mess which they had created.  The rest of the group were already opening their next bottle of alcohol when they heard a groan from amongst the heap.  He watched as one of the riders walked over to where the sound was coming from and crouched down.  He was not interested in seeing how that scene was going to play out, nor did he care.  He turned away and headed to where his motorcycle was parked.

"Hey," a voice called out to him.  "Where are you going?  Don't want another drink?"

"Heading back," he replied as he got on his motorcycle and put on his helmet.

The rest of the group watched as he took off down the mountain path.


By the time he reached the bottom of the mountain, the rain had started to fall, though only lightly.  It was quiet along the dark and deserted streets.  All he could hear was the sound of his engine roaring in the night.  He glanced down at his watch and noted the time.  At this late hour of the night most people would be asleep.

He continued through the streets as the rain grew heavier.  When he passed through the same street where they had stopped earlier that night, something by the side of the street caught his attention.  The stalls were all packed up and closed for the night but one figure remained.  He slowed down when he noticed that it was the man at the fruit and vegetable stall.  What surprised him more was that the man was still wearing his dark sunglasses at this time of the night.

He didn't know whether it was curiosity or intrigue but he decided to pull over to the other side of the road despite the pouring rain.  He watched as the man struggled to close up the stall.  He watched as the man was fumbling around with his hands outstretched, as if looking for something.

Perhaps it might help if you took of those dark sunglasses, he thought with amusement.

He was taken aback when he saw a small smile upon the man's face.  A smile that seemed to light up the dark and gloomy sky around him.  It seemed that the man had finally found what he was looking for.  The man opened up a black umbrella and held it over his head with one hand while his other hand reached for a long black stick.

His heart sank when when he finally realised the reason why the man was wearing the dark sunglasses.

He watched as the man held the walking stick out in front of him and began walking down the street in the pouring rain.  The man hadn't gone far when they heard the sound of a car approaching in the opposite direction.  As the car drove passed the man, it ran over a puddle by the side of the road, splashing the man in its wake.  Startled, the man stopped in his tracks while the car continued ahead.  The man simply let out a sigh before continuing on his way.

As he watched the man turn the corner, he did not know what came over him.  Before he knew it, his body moved on its own.  He started his engine and followed the man at a slow speed.

Despite keeping a distance, the sound of his engine was enough to make anyone feel uneasy.  It was only normal for the man to glance over his shoulder every now and then when he sensed that the engine sound was following him.  This did not deter him from continuing to follow the man.  He knew that the man would not be able to recognise him.

The man turned into an alley and stopped in his path.  He, too, stopped, wondering why the man had stopped so suddenly in the middle of the alley.  He was surprised when the man turned around in his direction.

"I have nothing valuable if you're looking to rob me," the man announced.

Rob? he thought, surprised by the man's words.

There was a moment of silence before the man heard the sound of the motorcycle take off down the road.