The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 15

The Gangster Who Loved Me

"Myungsoo?" said Sungyeol, remembering the name of the person on the phone.  "So you're the driver that ran over Sunggyu?"

"Sungyeol, it's not his fault," he heard Sunggyu's voice say from inside the room.

Sungyeol looked and saw Sunggyu sitting on the bed with his left arm bandaged from the elbow to the palm of his hand.

"It was my fault," Sunggyu added.  "I was distracted and stepped out on the road without thinking.  Myungsoo was nice enough to take me to the hospital.  I'm sorry for disturbing you.  They wouldn't let me go home unless someone came to pick me up.  I didn't know who else to call so I asked Myungsoo to call you."

"It's fine," said Sungyeol.

"Let me go pay the hospital fee and then we can go," said Sunggyu as he got up from the bed.

"There's no need," said Myungsoo.  "I've taken care of it."

Both Sunggyu and Sungyeol seemed surprised.

"You shouldn't have," said Sunggyu, feeling indebted to the kind stranger.

"I should take some responsibility too," said Myungsoo.


Whilst driving home from the hospital, Sungyeol couldn't help but noticed the solemn look on Sunggyu's face.

"No need to look so down, your arm should be healed in no time," said Sungyeol trying to cheer him up.

Sunggyu touched his bandaged arm and smiled bitterly.  "It's just a minor injury.  I'm not concerned about it."

"Oh that's right, " said Sungyeol as if he'd just remembered something.  "Woohyun was looking for you.  He looked really worried.  I should tell him you're okay."

"There's no need to bother him with such a trivial matter," said Sunggyu solemnly.

Sungyeol furrowed his brows.  He could sense something was wrong.  "Did something happen between you two?"

Sunggyu shook his head.  "No."


Dongwoo was surprised when he saw Sunggyu turn up at the stall the next day with his bandaged arm.  He thought he would do Woohyun a favour and wait on the other side of the street to see if Sunggyu would turn up.  He contemplated if he should tell Woohyun about the older man's injury.  He took out his phone and made a call.

"Yeah, it's me," said Dongwoo.  "He's here.  He's fine."  It was better not to let Woohyun know or he would come running despite his wound.


By the end of the day, Dongwoo was getting restless until he saw a car pull up in front of the stall.  A man stepped out and began talking to Sunggyu.  Dongwoo figured that they knew each other since Sunggyu was happily talking to him.  The man even helped Sunggyu pack up the stall before the pair walked down the street.


Despite Sunggyu's several attempts to decline Myungsoo's offer for dinner, the later was so persistent that Sunggyu had no choice but to accept.  Dinner was at a street food stall.  Sunggyu was rather surprised when Myungsoo began ordering dishes fom the menu.  They were all dishes that he liked to eat.  He just assumed that it was a coincidence that Myungsoo happened to like the same dishes.

"Why are you doing all this?" asked Sunggyu.  "There's really no need.  I'm sure you have better things to do than hang around with someone like me.  I can't be much fun to be with."

"I want to," Myungsoo replied.  "How long have you been selling at the stall?"

"Several years now," Sunggyu replied.  "My parents liked to grow their own fruits and vegetables."

"Your parents?" Myungsoo asked with surprise.

Sunggyu nodded.  "After they passed away, I decided to continue with their work."

There was a moment of silence as Myungsoo sat staring at Sunggyu.

"Yours eyes, how did it happen?" Myungsoo asked much to Sunggyu's surprise.

Sunggyu was taken aback by how direct Myungsoo's question was.  "It was an accident," he replied.


After dinner, they walked back to the stall where Myungsoo had parked his car.  Myungsoo offered to drive Sunggyu home but Sunggyu declined.

"Thank you for dinner," said Sunggyu.  "My house isn't that far.  I'll be fine."

He turned to walk away but felt someone grab his hand and pull him back.  He was startled.

"You asked before why I'm doing all this," said Myungsoo.  "This is my answer."

Before Sunggyu could ask what his words mean, he felt Myungsoo pull him close.

Woohyun arrived at the scene on his motorcycle just in time to witness the pair locking lips in a passionate kiss.  He frowned in anger and rode on ahead.