For the sake of an Empire

Accidental Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hello everyone! Yes heres another update lol :D So I will be updating as much as I can for the next week as I'm off work but then once I start work I would have to tone it down to once a week perhaps. Anyways, without much further ado, please enjoy the chapter! 

 

 

The psychedelic colours of the sunset blessed the tired eyes of Kim Chang Ok as he sat in the car waiting for the arrival of the young President, to drive him back home. He sighed wondering why he had been feeling so anxious since the start of the day today. The brusque sound of the back-passenger door opening startled him from his thoughts. Turing around he greeted, “Good evening, President Lee. Welcome back.”

 

Glancing at the older man, President Lee greeted back “Good evening, Chang Ok-ssi.”

 

With that Chang Ok turned around starting the car engine, however before he could start driving the back-passenger door on the other side opened admitting a tall, lithe young man into the seat next to the young President.

 

Sparing a side-eyed glance at the other young man, President Lee faced the front instructing, “Start driving Chang Ok-ssi.” With that he raised the partition between the front and back seats providing some privacy to the two back passengers.

 

“I believe congratulations are in order Hyung.” A soft manly voice broke the silence. Neither looking at each other still and yet addressing each other.

 

“I see news travels fast.” The older replied.

 

Silence ruled once again in the small space as the younger thought about his next choice of words.

 

“Are you sure about this Hyung? Father isn’t pushing for this and yet you agreed to the marriage…do you like Jessica noona, is that why?” He asked, barely concealed desperation underlining his questions.

 

Still looking straight ahead, his older brother crossed his legs chuckling aloofly; slightly drumming the fingers of his right hand on his raised right knee.

 

“Like? No, Vice-President Jung is merely an acquaintance. This is for the benefit of our empire, to further strengthen our bases.” He responded.

 

“Benefit? Our empire? Hyung…are you serious right now?”

 

“Deadly.”

 

The younger laughed in incredulity, finally turning to look at his brother and asked with a note of disbelief, “Hyung, don’t tell me…you still...?”

 

When he received no further acknowledgement from his brother, he turned back around and leaned against his seat, “If it is for our empire then what about me? I could marry Soojung instead, we get along well.”

 

“Like I said, it is for the empire and you renounced your place in this empire when you decided to create your own.” Retorted the cool voice of President Lee.

 

Scoffing again in amazement, the younger lowered the partition and instructed, “Drop me off here Chang Ok-ssi. It seems like nothing I say has any value here.”

 

“Yes, Young Master.”

 

As the car came to a stop, the younger man stepped out into the cold evening air. Without a backward glance he closed the door of the car as he walked away. Ignoring his surroundings as the car drove away, he walked aimlessly towards the centre of the small town. Spotting an unoccupied bench, he strode towards it disregarding the admiring glances thrown his way.

 

Sitting down by himself he took a deep breath of fresh cold air as he glanced around himself as people bustled around him trying to get last minute shopping done before the shops closed. Families arguing over dinner, crying children throwing tantrums, friends giggling, couples holding hands, brothers pushing and nudging each other; with a sigh he turned away from the warm scene.

 

Lighting a cigarette, he stared at it contemplating the habit he wanted to give up; leaving the change for another less stressful day he placed the lit cigarette in between parted lips and leaned his head back as he stared at the dark sky. He took several puffs of the cancer stick held securely between his lips; arms rested on either side of his head on the back of the bench.

 

Ignorant of the world around him he contemplated everything that happened so far and the difficult conversation he had had with his brother. So

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter