CHAPTER 1: THE PAST AND THE PRESENT

Hold Me in Your Arms

They first met at the bathroom, the one on the seventh floor of their university to be exact. Yixing was standing in front of the urinal ready to pee when not long after Wufan came in and took the urinal right beside Yixing. Yixing was too spellbound by Wufan’s God looks and how big he is until he was not aware that he has stopped peeing and unaware that Wufan is eyeing him with furrowed thick eyebrows. Knowing the cute male beside him looking dreamily at his little dragon, Wufan smirked oh-so handsomely; Yixing thinks he is head over heels towards the tall, broad man. But his daydream was not last long once he heard Wufan says.

“Wow, you have a cute and little one down there,” Wufan said, referring the cute and little one to his . Yixing’s first impression towards the man soon shattered into pieces. How dare he mock his little Zhang! Yixing quickly clean himself before spat at the taller.

“Yah, my little friend down there is not cute and little, it’s just yours is too huge!” Yixing was trying to look angry but his pouted mouth looks really cute for Wufan’s eyes. In his eyes, Zhang Yixing is always flawless and perfect.

“Thank you for the compliment, I’m flattered,” Wufan smirked as he poke Yixing’s chin with his forefinger. Yixing was angry, ready to burn Wufan down, but he chose to slap Wufan’s chest instead. Damn, even his chest is built so well, Yixing’s innermost thought says but he quickly denied it.

Seeing Wufan smirking in his victory, Yixing angrily (but still look so damn cute in Wufan’s eyes) stomped his tiny foot above Wufan’s.

“Ugh, I hate you!” he said and quickly walks out the door leaving Wufan who had stupid smile on his dreamy face whilst rubbing his slapped chest courtesy of Zhang Yixing.

“Love you too, darling.”

Wufan couldn’t even wipe away his stupid face the whole day.

 

Wufan smiles at the precious memory of him and Zhang Yixing (Well, at least it is precious for him). After two months crushing over Yixing, finally he’d be able to talk to his crush. Even though they talked about nonsense and later his crush declared that he hates him, he doesn’t mind. At least he has found an effective method to reach Yixing, the name of a person that stays inside his heart for almost eleven months now.

Wufan is supposed to study and preparing his presentation here in this library, but in reality his eyes are never in his text book since Zhang Yixing came in this library to study also, sits beautifully five tables away from him. But unfortunately Yixing doesn’t see him, maybe because he is too busy texting only God knows who (Wufan is clearly not jealous about that) and smiles widely over his phone until his precious dimple pops out. Wufan has this urge to run over Yixing and kisses away the dimpled cheek that always makes his heart beats three times faster than usual but Wufan holds himself. He has a good control towards himself and he is kind of proud of it.

Wufan unconsciously snorts when he sees Yixing clumsily drops his phone but soon smile in adoration when Yixing smooches his phone. How cute, Wufan thinks.

Brought to the eye, Wufan sees the love of his life is having a hard time to finish off his tasks. The International Business book is lying above the table but Yixing only drums his fingers above the book and Wufan understands that Yixing doesn’t even know what to do. Yixing got a very bad mark the last time their Professor popped a quiz so if he doesn’t want to fail the subject, he has to make a summary from two literatures (that’s explain why a party goer like Yixing is in the library) and knowing this, Wufan will gladly help his (endless) crush with all his heart.

When Wufan is about to stand up and (finally) musters up courage to go to Yixing’s table, he sees Yixing already has a company beside him. Wufan frowns.

It is Leo, a proud basketball captain. Rich, tall and handsome, has every girls swooning over his feet. People say that Leo will become a future boyfriend of Yixing. And the same people say both Leo and Yixing fit so perfectly together. Wufan hates to admit that it is kind of true.

Compared to Leo, Wufan is nobody.

Stop dreaming, Wufan. Wufan can’t help but sighs.

“Hey, are you going to sit there forever and keep daydreaming or are you going to get the out of here because you have to go to work and I am sure you don’t want to be fired and drop out because you can’t afford the tuition fees, don’t you?”

Wufan snaps out of his reverie when he hears a voice from hell that belongs to his best friend, Kyungsoo. Or Satansoo. Whatever, feel free to choose.

“Yeah, I’m aware that I have a job at three which is… TEN MINUTES AWAY?! Oh, my God, I’m so screwed!” Wufan groans in frustration and quickly packs his belongings to his backpack. Kyungsoo just stands there and judges Wufan through his doe eyes.

“I’m off to go! See you!” Wufan squishes Kyungsoo’s arms and sprints like a pro to avoid Kyungsoo’s death glare.

Wufan sprints and sprints while thinking maybe this is one of those reasons why he doesn’t deserve to be with Zhang Yixing.

Yixing. (Even his name sounds so beautiful in Wufan’s ears.)

Zhang Yixing is the one and only son and grandchild of Zhang household, and The Zhang family is well-known for their wealth. Yixing’s father is an owner of two big and well-known multinational companies while Yixing’s mother is an Ambassador.

Wufan, on the other hand, is complete opposite. Wufan struggles being an orphan ever since he was born and doesn’t even have any idea about his parents—where they are right now (dead or alive) or how they look—because he’s been in an orphanage since baby. So Wufan has to deal with the tough world all by himself, he has to work his off to pay the bills and saving for his living. Fortunately, Wufan is a genius so he had full scholarship until he had graduated high school. The bad story though, Wufan has to study at the best college designed for elites. Even though he has scholarship, his scholarship still can’t cover the high amount of the tuition fees so since then Wufan has to work hard at three different places.

So that is the main reason why Wufan chooses to keep his distance with Yixing even though he really loves him. Yixing just can’t be with him and he just couldn’t imagine it. If Yixing is with him, Yixing has to struggle too because Wufan is poor. Yixing would leave his mansion and moves into Wufan’s rented, old, small apartment because no way in hell The Zhang family would let him live in their luxurious mansion. If Yixing is with him, Yixing has to go to the college sharing the bike with Wufan because he surely cannot afford purchasing Rolls Royce Yixing is always using to campus alongside with the chauffeur and body guards.

All Wufan has is love for Yixing. But love only cannot pay the bills, doesn’t it?

And Wufan clearly doesn’t want the love of his life struggling like him. He won’t make Yixing lives the way he lives. That’s why he never force his feelings towards the other man and rather keeps his space with Yixing even though he is aching to hold Yixing in his arms and smothering the small man with kisses all over his face.

Enough about his one-sided love for Yixing, he has a serious problem to handle once he opens the Park and Byun’s Patisserie café door.

“Wufan, you’re three minutes late! Where the hell were you—YAH, I HAVEN’T FINISHED TALKING YET, YOU UNGRATEFUL BRAT!” Byun Baekhyun, the wife (or husband?) of the café owner Park Chanyeol, is screaming from behind the cashier machine as he sees Wufan didn’t even spare him a glance as the tall man keeps fast walking towards the locker room to change into his white uniform and black apron.

Minseok looks from his financial statement and his eyes soon meet with Chanyeol’s but the elf-ears man only shrugs.

“Baby, don’t be too hard on him. You know he is too busy with college and stuff and other part-time jobs. Besides, he only has us,” Chanyeol reminds him. Baekhyun giggles. Minseok raises his eyebrows, why the hell does this feminine male giggle?

“Aw,” Baekhyun coos his husband. He knows Chanyeol will defend Wufan because they have I’ll protect you, bro this kind of relationship between them. “I’m just playing around. Don’t worry too much, baby.”

Chanyeol gives a proud kiss to his spouse which Baekhyun responds almost too eager for Minseok’s liking but he keeps his mouth shut because like Wufan, he doesn’t want to lose this job.

Not long after, Wufan is quite ready but he has not in his complete uniform yet. In haste Wufan quickly puts on his apron around his waist and neat his uniform before clasping his hands as an apologize gesture. Chanyeol is ready to give his twin a warm smile and has intended to forgive him for being late because he knows Wufan is a busy guy but later he has to sigh and hold back his disappointment since Wufan does not asking for forgiveness, but the blonde man is apologizing to his wife (or husband?) instead.

“Yah, I’m the owner here! If you’re late or have any problem, you should talk to me first, not him!” Chanyeol scolds as he sulks childishly. Minseok mentally face-palm at the sight of baby giant pouting before him.

Wufan scratches his nape shyly. “I was about to apologize to you, Sir—”

“Just Chanyeol is fine, my brother.”

“—Chanyeol, but—”

“Then why you didn’t?” This time it is Minseok who is interrupting. Wufan sighs, trying to be as patient as possible.

“Because his spouse is… kind of… scarier than my own boss?”

“YAH!” Byun Baekhyun lets out a high-pitched scream that leaves the other three males wincing.

“Okay, enough about this,” Chanyeol says as he looks at Baekhyun who pouts, before shifting his gaze to Wufan.

“You can do your job now. For these two weeks, we let you and Minseok leave exactly at eight past fifteen," Chanyeol tries to ignores Wufan’s stupid face and Minseok’s oh-so girly squeals when he says this, "because we know you guys are having final exams coming up. We hope by giving you enough time to study, you guys will get the perfect GPA and make us as your parents proud. Don’t disappoint us, okay? We believe in you, guys.”

Baekhyun is choking back a sob but fails to hold back his tears so he ends up crying not so beautifully. Minseok is in better state than Baekhyun but not that much better because his lips is trembling as he tries hard not to cry like Baekhyun since he knows if he cries he would look like a swollen baozi so the shortest male just whispers a soft thank-you but Chanyeol and the rest of men know that Minseok is really grateful and Chanyeol nods happily as a respond.

Frankly, Wufan is touched too. At the moment like these he feels his heart is full of joy and at the same time he could feel the warm spreads through his veins. Even though he is kind of unusual to this kind of feelings, he is happy. He could feel the feeling he’s been longing for a long time. That is, a feeling when you have family on your side. Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Minseok, and Kyungsoo are like family to him. Wufan is so thankful he found himself tearing.

“Thank you for your kindness, Sir,” Wufan says as he looks at Chanyeol straight to his eyes, as if telling him that he is a person that Wufan will value the most of his life and Wufan would definitely not disappoint him.

Chanyeol pats Wufan’s shoulder as he grins with his Dobi-like face. “Just Chanyeol is fine, my twin.”

Wufan smiles that stupid smile and both Baekhyun and Minseok look at the two tall men and later they have to agree that they are indeed twins.

 


 

Wufan is walking to his apartment whilst munching a popular cheese burger (because he needs to saving, that’s why he didn’t purchase the beef burger one) from a popular franchise restaurant when he feels his phone vibrating in his pocket jeans.

From: Satansoo

Hey, buddy! Are you home already? When walking back to my apartment, I thought I saw Yixing at the small park behind your apartment building. What is he up to?

Wufan furrows his eyebrows. Yixing was there? What the hell is he doing at such a place? Wufan waste no more time and quickly types a reply.

To: Satansoo

Maybe your eyes played a trick on you. There’s no way in hell his body guards let him to be there.

Well, that’s make sense. Elite like Yixing would not be at the place around Wufan’s neighborhood, since that area is designed for another poor living like Wufan or Kyungsoo or Minseok. Besides, Wufan doubts that Yixing ever knows that there is a place like that exists in Korea.

Not even a minute after, his phone is vibrating again.

From: Satansoo

Well, maybe you’re right. Maybe I’m just too tired after tutoring a dickhead like Jongin. Geez, he doesn’t even know how to solve a simple algebra. I don’t get it why he has a lot of girls desperate to be his girlfriend. I want to quit become his private teacher, but his mother pays me a lot! What to do, Wufan T_T

Wufan laughs at Kyungsoo’s reply. Dude, it’s about the same old guy from a private high school again. Wufan is afraid that Kyungsoo would get the karma. Opposites really do attract, doesn’t it? Who knows tomorrow Kyungsoo would fall in love with that Jongin guy?

Ew, what a e. Wufan mentally cringes at the image.

To: Satansoo

Dude, you’re just jealous. Don’t you dare quit from your job. Remember we are poor. If you quit the job, what would you use to pay your bills? Leaves?

Wufan can imagine Kyungsoo snorts at his reply. But Wufan doesn’t care because he tells him the truth. Looking for a job is kind of stressful nowadays.

Wufan almost reach his apartment and he can look from afar that there is no Yixing at the small park Kyungsoo mentioned (Wufan intentionally walk from behind the building only to check). Right, even Kyungsoo could be wrong sometimes.

His phone is vibrating again and right when Wufan is about to reply, Wufan sees a shadow of a man walking fast towards him and Wufan is kind of panic but somehow he manage to stay calm. The tall man is still deciding whether to keep walking forward or turn around and go to the other direction to reach his apartment when he hears a group of men screaming in—I don’t know. Is it Japanese?—from the other alley.

Wufan can’t simply decide because his innermost thought screams what the hell is going on here?

His feet is glued to the ground and Wufan only snaps out of his reverie when that shadow’s body hit against his and that cause his phone to fall. Wufan is almost crying because it was his one and only phone and how the hell he could purchase a brand new one but decides to just forget it when he hears the suspect says sorry and something about it was his fault so Wufan doesn’t have to worry because he will definitely buy him a new one.

Wait, I know this voice!

“Yixing?” Wufan tries.

The man whom Wufan called Yixing slowly lifts his face after he hears the tall stranger in front of him is calling his name. And to tell that Wufan is kind of shock to see that is indeed Yixing he knows is understatement.

On the other hand, Yixing is both surprise and thankful because he found someone who (maybe) could save him but soon his hope shattered when all he could see is someone from his college that he hates so bloody much. Yixing pulls his hair in frustration because he really needs help right now and he doesn’t think Wufan would help him. Knowing Wufan, that giant blonde would probably happy and throw a party if he knows Yixing is in trouble. Wufan always makes a joke about him and his life, anyway.

But I need help! Yixing’s mind screams.

“Wufan…”

Wufan doesn’t have time to party and squeals Oh my God, he remembers my name! because Yixing looks so scared and panic and his eyes are watering and Wufan doesn’t even know what to do about that. So he just blurts out what is on his mind.

“What are you doing here?”

Yixing looks terrified and keeps checking every road as if he is been chased around (well in fact Yixing is indeed chased by his parents’ body guards) but he manages to speak to Wufan.

“Wufan, let me live with you!” Wufan almost chokes on his own spit.

Did I hear it right? Wufan hesitates.

Deep inside his heart, Wufan will gladly let Yixing lives with him but his condition makes it impossible for Yixing to stay. And Yixing would not understand.

“No,” Wufan says sternly. “My apartment is not a hotel.”

Yixing bites his lips. Wufan has to turn his head to the side so that he won’t lose over himself and carry the cute man in front of him right away, lock him in his apartment and never let go.

“Wufan, please,” Yixing begs, his voice is shaking and his eyes are blurry because he is so scared and Wufan who is the only hope for him refused to cooperate.

Wufan doesn’t have the heart to hurt Yixing, but he has to reject his request. It is all for Yixing’s own good.

“No is no, Yixing, and I’m not gonna repeat.”

But Wufan soon breaks his own words when he sees a group of men wearing suit and black shades (it’s evening for God’s sake!) screaming “Young Master! Young Master!” whilst checking every spot of the dark alleys and Wufan immediately knows that that Young Master they are looking for is Yixing just by looking at his pale face and trembling body. When Yixing whispers in fear a soft “Save me, Wufan”, Wufan doesn’t think twice and quickly brings Yixing to his home.

 


 

Wufan watches how Yixing is furiously throwing his anger at the delivery boy from a popular Chinese restaurant because his order is an hour and half late and all thanks to the Ms. Customer Service who thought their order was a joke and she one-sidedly canceled it just because she thinks a customer from a small apartment won’t be able to pay the bill. What a . Yixing thinks.

Maybe it is true Wufan can’t even pay the cheapest dish from that restaurant (if it was Wufan who ordered), but unfortunately it was Yixing who ordered because he just can’t eat junk food and instant noodles and Wufan doesn’t have anything fresh yet healthy inside his fridge.

“So that thinks I can’t pay the dishes I order?” Yixing spat at the poor boy with both hands on his waist. Wufan rubs his forehead tiredly. It has been more than twenty minutes Yixing is like that. If it were Wufan, he would let the poor delivery boy go and just eat the dishes. Guess it is all a different story if you hurt filthy rich guy’s heart.

“Tell her I can even buy that restaurant including her! That should cost a small amount of my money cause she is cheap!”

The delivery boy visibly gulps. Wufan pities him. His ears must have been hurt as hell since Yixing is complaining non-stop.

“I’m sorry, Young Master. Our customer service didn’t know that it was Young Master who orders,” the delivery boy says. Yixing snorts as he crosses his arms.

Yixing looks like still doesn’t want to forgive the (simple) mistake they have made, so Wufan thinks maybe he is the one who should stop him.

“It’s okay, Yixing, it was just a misunderstanding. Besides, how would they know that you are here at my place right now?”

Yixing sighs but still shoots dagger from his eyes to the shivering delivery boy.

“Fine, you’re safe this time. But don’t tell anyone that I’m at my acquaintance’s place. If this information leaks, both Ms. Customer Service and you will die in my own hands!” Yixing threatens him. The delivery boy nods in fear. Yixing sends him off with a small gesture and he closes the door whilst grumbling.

“Stop complaining, Yixing, just eat. It’s almost eleven,” Wufan says from the laundry room. Yixing only hums as a respond and quickly eats his (late) dinner in silence.

As he eats, Yixing observes Wufan’s small apartment. To be honest, the whole apartment got nothing on Yixing’s room. Even Yixing’s own room is almost three times bigger than Wufan’s apartment. Maybe that’s why that (read: Ms. Customer Service) was underestimating him.

Wufan has no television nor does air conditioner, Wufan only have a fan. Yixing heard that Wufan is poor from Lu Han, when he happened to ask the Barbie man why the latter has no friend except Kyungsoo despite having a handsome face and genius brain.

Wufan has no washing machine either. At the time like this, Yixing usually will be watching television or playing video games but Wufan… Wufan is washing his clothes and uniforms, and also is cleaning his shoes. While Yixing doesn’t have to worry about his clothes and stuff because he has four maids doing his laundry at home, Wufan is doing his laundry by his own hands.

Yixing knew that Wufan is poor, but seeing his condition by himself makes his heart ache and he feels an overflowing sympathy towards the blonde man.

“Are you done eating?” A deep, baritone voice startles him. Yixing his head only to find Wufan already standing beside him. Yixing hums.

“Fine, wash the dish,” Wufan gestures his head towards the sink. Yixing blinks his eyes cutely as he stares at Wufan for a long time whilst fidgeting the tip of his shirt. Wufan grows impatient. He already knows that a guy like Yixing doesn’t want to do something stupid like doing the chores.

“What, you don’t want to?” Wufan asks firmly. His eyes and his heights intimidate Yixing, so the smaller male quickly shakes his head.

“It’s not that I don’t want to do it, but…” Yixing stops in the middle of his sentence, feeling slightly doubts whether to tell Wufan or not because he is one hundred percent sure the man in front of him would laugh and makes him as the object of his joke (again). But Yixing is kind of used to Wufan’s stupid joke so he finally tells the truth. “I don’t know how to do it.”

Wufan wants to slap his own face because how the hell could he forget that a spoiled brat like Yixing might have not doing his cores by himself? He has like thousand maids at his mansion, so why bother? Besides, both his parents and grandparents would not let him doing that either.

Seeing Wufan doesn’t show any signs to laugh at him, Yixing fosters himself to look at Wufan only to find the latter sighs in exhaustion (while in fact Wufan is sighing in desperation) and Yixing feels guilty.

“Fine, then. I’ll do it. Just go to sleep.”

 


 

“Why haven’t you slept?” Wufan immediately asks because the first thing he saw when he opened his bedroom door is Yixing doing nothing above his bed. The beautiful male just sitting there as if he waits Wufan before going to sleep. Indeed, Yixing is waiting for Wufan because he just can’t sleep knowing Wufan only had a single bed which is designed only for a person.

Wufan wipes his face tiredly at Yixing’s antics. “Yixing, please, just go to sleep. I know I don’t own a king-size bed like you owned in your room but please, just bear with it for this time being.”

“No, it’s not like that!” Yixing defends as he shakes his head eagerly. Wufan raises his eyebrows as if asking why. “If I sleeping here, then how about you?”

Wufan blushes. The truth is he doesn’t even think Yixing would care about where he sleeps. So when Yixing asks with his soft voice and cute sleepy face, Wufan can’t help the blood rushes to his cheek.

“It’s okay. I’ll sleep on the floor, I have extra blankets.”

Yixing immediately objects the idea. Wufan is the owner, so he is supposed to sleep on the bed instead of the cold tile.

Wufan smiles, it feels good to have someone who cares about him. Especially if it is Yixing—the one who gives him happiness even though he can only watch and protect him from afar. Wufan doesn’t mind to have Yixing by his home every single day.

Wufan blinks away his inappropriate thinking. Come on, Wufan; don’t fall deeper for Yixing than you already are. You are no match for him.

“If it’s not me, then would you sleep on the floor?” Wufan challenges. Yixing shuts up straightaway and hung his head low. Wufan mentally smirks when he sees Yixing is pouting his lips. Yixing looks so cute even in this almost midnight.

Wufan lifts Yixing head up by his chin using his thumb and forefinger. Once his face lifted up, his eyes meet straightaway with Wufan’s warm orbs and Yixing feels his breath goes rigid as warmth spread from Wufan’s gaze through his body until it reach Yixing’s apple cheeks. The latter has never felt this way before but honestly he doesn’t mind at all. He wants to feel like this again. He likes the feeling to be loved by someone since his parents never show him the affection he needs that much.

Wufan gives him a warm smile to which Yixing replies with a shy smile of his. “This is final. You can have the bed, don’t mind me.”

Yixing holds Wufan’s fingers that is still on his chin and grabs them on his small hand as he locks his eyes with Wufan’s. Because I don’t want to lose the warmth you give to me. “No, let’s sleep together, Wufan!”

Only God knows how much Wufan wants to groan in frustration and commits suicide right away but he couldn’t. Wufan knows Yixing didn’t mean that way, but his little Wu down there already jumps in excitement when sleep together was mentioned by Yixing. Wufan mentally curse his ert mind.

After a lot of bickering every now and then about how Wufan’s bed is not strong enough to carry the weight of two grown men and how Yixing insists that he is as light as feathers, and how Wufan argues that Yixing would have his body aching the next morning if he shares the bed with Wufan and how Yixing insists again that he has a flexible body since he is a dancer after all (and that leave Wufan drowning in his ert mind again about Yixing’s flexible body underneath him), Wufan finally gives in and gives up.

They end up sharing the bed with Yixing lays his head on top of Wufan’s chest, legs are tangled to Wufan’s, and Wufan’s hand on Yixing’s waist since he doesn’t want Yixing to fall from the bed (his bed is small, by the way).

Wufan is the first to pass out because firstly he is tired from college and jobs and secondly he has Yixing in his arms. Yixing listens to Wufan’s steady heartbeat first for a full two minutes before he snuggles deeper into Wufan’s broad chest and drifting off following Wufan to the dreamland.

Sleep together indeed.