Her Life

DESTINY

Butterflies in different colors were flying around and the nectar of every flower that was blooming. The sweet scent of the floras was all over the place. Cold wind was slightly rustling from the east. The leaves of the trees were swaying with the humming of the birds. The sun has just risen and its rays were beaming on the plants around. It was a wonderful day! She was walking with her long white dress along the alley of a wondrous garden with a red carpet spread on it. Rose petals were scattered along. At the opposite side of the carpet, there stood a gorgeous man with a heart melting smile. His full attention was on her. Her heart fluttered. She walked towards him in a trance like and pulled him for a hug. He cuddled her back in a most gentle way. With his arms wrapping her, he bent a little and leaned closer to her. His warm breath blowing against her face made her vision to blur. She closed her eyes, tilted her head and parted her lips in anticipation.

“Krrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinggggggggg! Krrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnggggggggggggggg! Kkrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingggggg!”

With her eyes still closed, she reached for the alarm clock beside her bed and turned it OFF. “Aisht! That was close …” she sighed.

Dara lazily got up from bed and glanced at the wall clock. It reads 6:35 am. She relaxed for a while trying to refresh her sweet dream. Her prince was about to kiss her! Unfortunately, it didn’t succeed. It’s all because of the freaking alarming sound of the clock. She pouted then glared at the innocent non-living creature on her bedside.

At her age, she’s still dreaming about her prince charming, her destiny.

She looked up at the time again, it reads 6:45. She yawned, still feeling drowsy. Then it sank into her. ‘It’s already 6:45!!!!!!!!!!’

“Holy crap!” she clutched her head and hurriedly went to the bathroom. She got a class at 7:30.

Leaving her mess behind, she took a quick shower and readied her self. With her still damp hair, she swiftly grabbed her bag, put on her sneakers and dashed towards the train station. Oftentimes, train stations were full packed with passengers. She squeezed herself into the crowd and glanced at the time of the arrival of the next train. It says ‘Next train will arrive at 4 minutes.’ She looked at her wrist watch then looked up again at the red letters flashing on the screen. Somehow she was praying that she won’t come late. Too bad she was already.

She walked past at the school ground. She was panting and breathing hard because she was running all along from the subway. When she was nearing, she paused for a while trying to get back her normal intake of air. The hallway was quiet evident that everyone was already inside their respective classes. Her classroom door wasn’t closed, good thing she can enter without making a sound. She took a peep first at her professor inside, he was writing something on the board and so she took that advantage. She tiptoed going to her seat. Fortunately, he didn’t notice her arrival. She sat down and took her hanky and wiped her face.

Dara smiled to herself. ‘What a lucky day!’ she thought. She scanned her eyes around and saw a pair of eyes fixed on her. She smiled sweetly at him but it was turned down.

It was her boyfriend, Kwon Jiyong.

She didn’t mind him but pulled her notes instead. ‘What did I do wrong this time?’ she mumbled.

Their class went on the whole hour and the next. She easily absorbed everything that was taught to them. She’s bright; say one of the smartest students in their university, a college student and a part time employee in a restaurant. An envy to everyone coz she got Kwon Jiyong, the campus heartthrob with her.

Not known to them, they have been in an on and off relationship for almost like months. Dara was deeply in love with him. Known for the fact that he’s a campus crush, he’s not afraid of losing her yet there’s something that pulls him not to. They have been together for over a year and in that span, they have already known each other in a much deeper way.

The bell rang meaning classes were over. Jiyong walked past at her who was still arranging her stuff. While playing the pen with his fingers, he leaned at the concrete wall and waited for her. One minute, two minutes, three – she still not out of the room. Jiyong blew the strands of hair that fell onto his face in annoyance. Then she popped out of the door.

“What’s taking you so long there?” he asked in a less angry voice.

“I thought you already left. Sorry --- are you mad?” Dara apologized.

He didn’t answer. She clung her arms on him then leaned her head closer. “I know you. You’re mad a me.”

Jiyong paused. “You owe me an explanation.”

Dara creased her forehead then twitched her lips. “About what?”

She didn’t get what he meant. Her thought flashed back for a while recessing any reason but she can’t process any. “I don’t get it, Ji.”

“You’re late, AGAIN.” he said in a low tone. She chuckled. “What’s new about that?”

His face went serious. A heavy sigh went out of him. “What’s new about that.” he snorted. There they go again. He laughed bitterly. “You are spending the whole night working in that freaking restaurant, come home late, sleep late, woke up late, come to school late … For what?” he turned to her.

Dara clutched her head then closed her eyes. “We talked about this already, Ji.”

“And I told you about it already, Dara.”

“Please … Ji. I don’t want to argue with you.”

“Then you need to quit that job of yours.”

She sighed. “You know I can’t.”

There was silence.

Jiyong sat on the bench near him. He went quiet with his eyes on the floor. They have fought a lot of times about Dara’s part time job. Apparently, he’s not favor about it. For him, it’s just a waste of her time. Most of her hours were spent useless giving her attention/services to others when she’s supposed to be with him, spending time with each other. What’s creeping him out was her lame reason of earning money with her own sweat.

Ironic! Dara needed not to work. It was just her self pride. She got a reason of her own on why she’s doing it though. Her father’s a big time businessman, one of the top stockholders of some huge companies. He supports her financially; he even bought her a condo unit and a car. Her dad was a great one, true. But that success laid a lie. He got an affair with his secretary, and that was her mother. She’s an illegitimate child. Her step family doesn’t recognize her as part of them. Sad truth, yes it is!

She was living alone in an apartment where she and her mother used to stay. All of the happy and sad memories with her mom happened there. And it was one great reason on why she’s not leaving it nor planning to leave. Jiyong knew everything about that. She’s in pain and been hurting yet she stayed sturdy and tough.

Dara’s eyes started to cloud upon remembering her mom. She bit her lower lip, suppressing her emotions not to appear weak in front of her boyfriend. Jiyong noticed it eventually. He moved closer then held her hands. Seeing her like that wasn’t easy. It made him weak in an instant.

“Okay … let’s not talk about this.” He caressed her face and planted a soft kiss on her forehead then pulled her for a hug.

She was sobbing. “Thanks for understanding.”

“I always will.”