o2. Whispers

Between the Living and the Dead.

"Myungsoo!" I huffed as I quickly sat beside him.

"What's wrong?" He asked with much concern.

"Spirit- stalking- kill-"

"Speak properly." He groaned.

I wasn't scared of spirits, or stalkers, but what I was afraid of, was the hatred in those eyes that seek revenge. That spirit with bed-hair earlier, sent shivers down my spine when my eyes first met his.

I looked at Myungsoo, who was in deep thought, probably trying to string the words I said to form a sentence.

"There's a spirit who is stalking you and he wants to kill you?" He said in a are-you-kidding-me kind of tone.

"Well, I can't be sure about that, but that's what the janitor spirit said."

"The janitor spirit? He's nuts, you said that before!"

"I changed my mind about him, he's actually pretty nice and-"

The teacher walked in the classroom and the class fell silent. She handed out some worksheets, ordered us to complete it in 20 minutes, and went out again. 

"So, you were saying?" Myungsoo whispered.

The class was really quiet - everyone was doing their worksheet really attentively. This is what happens when I'm in the top class. 

"The janitor might be right about him wanting to kill me though, I swear I could see it in his eyes... although he was already dead and all."

"Is he around?"

I looked around the classroom.

"No. Usually I can feel spirits if they are really angry, or really happy, depressed. They sort of release some kind of energy or glow a particular color when they're having strong emotions. They're weird, those spirits."

"Yeah, I remember you telling me about that pedo spirit who glowed pink, the one you met in the bathroom..."

"Don't even remind me about that." I hissed at him as soft as possible.

We were the only two in the class who were talking, and not to mention, also the only two to finish the first worksheet given.

Halfway working on the eighteenth question on the worksheet, I felt a strong energy that made me shiver. Then it felt like there was someone trying to suffocate me - I felt like I was out of breath.

I coughed and turned around to see who it was - though I already knew the answer.

True enough, it was the spirit with his awfully messy hair.

Once I turned around to look at him, I was able to breathe normally again. I realized that he was trying to strangle me, trying to kill me.

"Myungsoo. He's here." I whispered, careful not to let that spirit, and anyone else, hear me.

Though Myungsoo couldn't see the spirits, he believed that I could see them, and is willing to listen to me. Which is why he's my best friend. Sungjong, on the other hand, couldn't see the other spirits too, but he was a little tad innocent to understand things. He believed me when I said that there are spirits around, and that I can comunicate with them.

"I wished I could see spirits." He suddenly said.

"Why?" I would rather not have this ability, so I wouldn't see spirits swarming around me (or even walking through me), and of course, I wouldn't be considered weird.

"Well, then I could see what you're seeing. I've never known how spirits looked like, and well, I'm not sure what you can see. I want to see the same things you do, at least I can understand better that way."

I didn't reply because my eyes were focused on the bed-hair spirit who was now floating closer to me.

He stopped beside my desk, titling his head to one side, lips curving into a smile.

"I can see you, you know." I whispered, eyes glued to my worksheet, because I was afraid to look into his eyes.

Myungsoo heard me whispering to someone, which was obviously not him, and lifted his head up to look at a random position close to me. He knew that I would only talk to spirits when they were nearby, and I was whispering, so the spirit must have been beside me.

The spirit shifted his position and stood in front of my desk.

"That's weird... Who's she talking to?" I heard the spirit say.

It was the first time I heard him talking, and he had quite a nice voice. Would be perfect for singing, I thought. Still, I had to be cautious, this person here almost killed me.

"You. The spirit standing in front of me." Most students have finished their worksheet and started chatting so I didn't have to whisper really softly.

I glanced up, trying to get a better look at his face.

Maybe just one glance-

He was a handsome spirit, to be honest, and when I looked up, he was staring at me with his eyes as big as his mouth, which were hanging open.

"You can... see me?" He pointed at himself, looking at me in disbelief.

"Mhm." I hummed and nodded.

Myungsoo looked at me, trying to imagine my conversation with the spirit. He was a smart person, he would definitely figure things out. 

"Do you know... who I am?" He asked, his tone shaky.

I looked at him closely, then I shook my head. I definitely have not seen him anywhere before. Spirit or human.

He scoffed.

"Of course you haven't. I'm sure you've killed plenty of people and you don't even care."

Kill? That four-letter word made me raise my voice without realizing.

"What?!" I shouted.

The whole class turned to look at me.

Come on, Chaewon, think of something to throw the akwardness away...

"Question 26 isn't B?" I asked Myungsoo, who looked at me blankly.

Students began to flip through their worksheets to look for Question 26.

"There's no answer for Question 26." Myungsoo said aloud, as if it was the most obvious thing ever.

Everyone began racking their brains once again, wondering if Myungsoo was telling the truth or not, while Myungsoo and I let out a sigh of relief.

The spirit eyed me weirdly, then bent down to look at my paper.

"There's no answer for that question? I swore I got B for that question..."

"It's a trick question, you have to read the sentence carefully-"

"Why are you even talking to him about this?" Myungsoo leaned closer to me.

I realized I was actually talking politely to a spirit who was accusing me of being a murderer.

"Right. What did you mean by me killing people and not giving a damn? I've never killed anyone!"

"You don't need to lie. I know you're an assassin, who is sent to kill tons of people who your boss dislikes."

Assassin? This guy, no, this spirit, is mad.

"I'm not an assassin! As you can see, I'm studying here in school, and my best friend here-" I pointed to Myungsoo. "-can prove everything."

The spirit raised his eyebrow.

"He follows you around? Even to the loo?"

Making sure no one else was watching, I grabbed the collar of the spirit's shirt and pulled him down.

He was shocked, not knowing that I could touch spirits as well. Some of them could touch humans, walk through us, whenever they like, while we can't do any of those. For me, I can touch them, whenever as I please.

"You better watch what you say, before I harm you." I grinded my teeth, then let him go.

He laughed.

"You? Harm me? You, should watch what you say and do instead. We'll see who's stronger. You, or me."

He floated away from the classroom.

"He's gone?" Myungsoo was doodling on his paper.

"Yeah." I breathed.

"Tell me your conversation. Everything." 

_______________________________________________________

Funny how I haven't revealed the name when most of us know who it is. /smacks head

Anyways, yeah, second chapter. And the part when Myungsoo said about the glowing in pink pedo spirit... it was because the spirit was expressing happiness. Black aura/glowing black is extreme depression, and orange fury for anger/hatred. But it won't be a main thing in the story, so yeah.

Hope you liked it, leave some comments~