o9. Discoveries

Between the Living and the Dead.

"So I guess you can sleep on the couch, Myungsoo."

"But that's my usual spot!" Namu complained. 

"You can sleep on the floor." I argued. 

"Or should I snuggle in your bed, Chaewon?" He smirked.

"What the hell, Namu." I grabbed the back of his head and flicked his forehead hard. "Have you forgotten that I can touch you as well?"

"Yeah, and have you forgotten you're supposed to assist me in my search for the assassin?" He replied as he rubbed his aching forehead.

"I have school to attend, Namu. And she could be anywhere! How on earth do you expect me to find her? Have you even planned on how to locate her when you made the decision to come back to the earthly world?"

He stayed silent for a few seconds before mumbling a soft 'no'.

"Well, can't blame you for that, you're a teenager like us, and you apparently, are a teenager that makes rash decisions. You should have thought this through though. You can't go back unless you carry out your revenge, right?" Myungsoo added.

I seriously have to get used to the fact that Myungsoo can see Namu and other spirits now. Before this it was just me, and Myungsoo would just stay silent and I would explain everything after that. Now he sees what I see, and hears what I hear. I, am clearly not used to it, but well, at least that makes me feel better, now that we both can be considered weird. 

"I'm still older than both of you though! From now on you two should call me as hyung and oppa~"

Myungsoo and I snorted, shaking our heads at Namu.

"Even when you have the maturity of our age? No thanks. Good night, Chaewon." Myungsoo yawns.

"Good night, both of you." I turn off the lights as I hear Namu complain to no one about how kids nowadays are so disrespectful.

---

"Rise and shineeeee! It's a SUNday!" Namu pulled up the blinds, giggling.

"Oh my gosh, do you wake up like this everyday, Chaewon-ah?" Myungsoo rubbed his eyes, and asked in a sleepy voice.

"Sadly, yes. Really, I have no need for alarm clocks anymore. How do you get up so early, Namu-ah?"

"Call me Namu oppa please. Oh, I don't sleep, I go hunting for the assassin at night, it's such a wonderful experience really, seeing what all the people in Seoul do at late night. Maybe someday I'll go to places like Incheon, Busan or Gangnam to hunt. I just realized how big Seoul is~"

"Why did you choose Seoul?" Myungsoo got up from the couch and ruffled his own hair.

"I was killed here. Didn't I mention that?"

Both of us shook our heads. I usually tell Myungsoo everything about Namu so he can help me out, so if he doesn't remember that, it probably means Namu didn't say anything about that.

"Why would she kill you? I don't think you told us anything about that." Myungsoo continued.

"I... don't know why. I haven't seen her before then so I wouldn't know."

"This is a lost case! You're not sure about her, you once said you only got a glimpse of her face, and it was quite a dark alley, you don't even know why you died, and apparently you have no idea where she could be. I really don't understand you. You should have just let it be really."

"Well if you were me you'd be really angry and that would be the first thing you'd think of. I was working so hard for the semi-finals at that singing competition and wow, the day before that I died. Would you let it go, really?"

Myungsoo and I glanced at each other, surprised to see Namu explode, and we were at loss for words. The three of us stood in silence until we heard the door knock.

"Yes?"

"Mum asks you to quickly shower and come down and have breakfast." I recognized the voice as Howon oppa's. "Also, Myungsoo can use my bathroom to shower so that you both can finish quickly and breakfast won't get cold. Mum's orders."

"Thanks!" I shouted back before whispering, "We'll talk about this later, Namu."

As I headed for the bathroom, Namu wanted to follow as well, but immediately retreated when he sniffed the scent of garlic.

"My goodness, it can't possibly be... you placed garlics in your bathroom?!"

"For the sake that you'd stay out." And with that I shut the door in his face.

---

"Morning, omma."

"Good morning, Mrs Lee." Myungsoo greeted, followed by Namu.

"Did you get a good rest, Myungsoo-ah? I hope you were fine by yourself using the toilet. Howon helped you in, right?"

"I have the walking stick, so I was fine, although it's a bit of a nuisance, this cast. I want to take it off so badly. Do I have to use the wheelchair to school?"

"I'm afraid so. By the way, I called your mother yesterday, and she said it was alright for you to sleepover, as both of your parents have sudden work and they are going overseas for a week and a half. I guess God was on your side, Myungsoo. I was told to take care of you well, so the both of you, hurry up and eat your boiled potatoes."

"Yes, ma'am~" I sang.

"Thank you so much, Mrs Lee."

"It's no big deal. It's a relief today is a Sunday, so you can have some rest at home today. Chaewon, you would be studying as usual, I suppose?"

"Well, someone's a smart nerd." Namu teased, and Myungsoo kicked him.

"Exams are next month, and I don't think you'd want me to fall behind, do you, omma?"

"Of course not!" She replies from the kitchen. "Oh, I just remembered, a parcel came in for you this morning, I think it's from your sister."

"You have a sister?" Namu inquired and I nod.

"Where is it?" I shouted back.

"Placed it on the study room table, take Howon's parcel as well, I forgot to tell him about it."

"Oppa got a parcel from sister? He hardly gets any!"

"Maybe she found something that suited him. The parcels aren't even big, they're probably books. She gave me a letter, chocolates and the cooking books I've always wanted to buy."

"Did she mention about when she's coming back?"

"I don't know, I haven't read my letter, why don't you check yours after breakfast and see for yourself? I doubt she'd come back that soon," 

"Alright. Thanks, omma!"

After Myungsoo and I finished our breakfast, I retrieved the parcels and begged Namu to hold them for me while I help Myungsoo up the stairs. We stopped by Howon's room to pass him his parcel by placing it on the floor then knocking (I couldn't possibly ask Namu to hand him the parcel, it'd seem like it's floating in mid-air), then we went back to my room, Myungsoo once again resting on the couch while I ripped open my parcel.

Dear Chaewon,

I'm fine here in London. Currently broke because I spent all my money on you guys (see I'm so nice) so I hope you like your presents! It's a book that I think you'd like (well you'd like any book, the nerd that you are) and I hope you enjoy reading it. About when I will be coming back, I'm not too sure about that, like I wrote earlier, I'm broke right now so I'm working hard to earn money, in the hopes I'll have enough to get a two-way ticket. My boss doesn't have much work to offer me right now, which explains why I only have sufficient money to feed myself (after buying presents, wrappers and stamps). I'm sure I'll return soon, but till then, perhaps I will call mum. I might be moving to Spain later in the month, and hopefully when I call back the line doesn't get cut off again.

Au revoir!

"Wow, you two seem close." Namu remarked.

"We're not that close actually. It just seems so because the both of us aren't close with Howon and we're both girls. I think it's because of the , and the fact that she's been working overseas for quite sometime already makes us more distanced. She'd always say she'll come back, but she never does because her boss gives her sudden jobs and she never really knows when her boss will need her."

"What does she work as?" Namu asked, and Myungsoo glanced at me although he already knows my answer to that question.

"I don't know."

"You don't know? What the hell is that- I mean- how can you not know? That's absurd!"

"She doesn't tell us, but she says it's the only source of income she can rely on. We don't ask much about it as long as we know she is safe. Also, my sister... she's a more reversed person actually, we know how she is and she likes freedom, so we sort of let her be."

"Oh. Why aren't you close with your brother anyway?"

I glared at Namu with accusing eyes.

"You're the reason of it of course. You and all the other spirits. He thinks I'm weird and well, everytime some spirit messes up his room he blames it on me."

"That explains a lot. Sorry, but not sorry." He grinned cheekily. 

As I rip open the parcel and started reading the books Eunjung unnie gave, Namu started annoying Myungsoo who was trying to rest. Myungsoo snarled at him and I saw his hand reaching in his pocket to grab something...

Namu squeals in fear as Myungsoo shoves a garlic in his face. I laughed till I started rolling on the floor watching the shrieking Namu who floated away, and Myungsoo grinned.

"I guess these garlics do come in handy." He smiled, and shifted to a comfortable position on the couch to sleep, the house left in peace and quiet.

________________________________________________________

Ah, this was badly ended :( Writer's block but I feel like this is the best I can do now haha.