o6. Closer

Between the Living and the Dead.

"Um... Namu, are you okay?" I was slightly frightened when he said those words, but I tried to keep my calm.

I noticed something different about his eyes. They weren't its usual color. He glared at me and suddenly rushed towards me, pinning me to the wall.

"Nam-" He placed his hand over my mouth, in order to prevent me from speaking or calling for help.

I forgot that he could touch me, but I could touch him as well. Problem is, he's way too strong. Though he was a spirit, somehow he felt real, just like a normal human, and I saw his pupils turn jet-black. I remembered them being brown...

I struggled and shouted, but every voice I made was muffled away by his hand. I could feel his tight grip on one of my shoulders, and it was as if my strength was taken away with my soul. Then, I felt my head spin and I think I was about to lose my consciousness... Before I felt myself collapse, I heard a groan followed by a sound of someone falling to the ground.

"Yah, what do you think you're doing?" I heard a second person snarl, but my eyes were shut tight so I had no idea who it was.

I fell to the floor when Namu removed his hand away from me, and I took in deep breaths, forcing myself to get back on my feet when I opened my eyes and saw two Woohyuns. 

"What the heck-" I fell back to the ground after just attempting to get up.

The two Woohyuns (I was still trying to differentiate them) seemed like they were about to duel, eyes fixed on each other, with an expression to murder on their faces, as if they'll never back off until one of them dies. I felt my head throb so I scrambled to a corner to rest, also to get out of their way in case anything happens. I hope Howon doesn't hear too much noise and comes upstairs instead.

Just then, I realized something. I noticed how one of them had messed up bed-hair, while the other was much neater, and that their eyes had different colors. The real Woohyun had brown eyes and messed up hair, while the other... might be a Doppelganger. Now that I look at it, it seemed like the person who I thought was Namu earlier did not exactly posses the looks of Woohyun.

Namu grabbed hold of the other spirit and tried to pin it to the wall, but was thrown on the floor instead. He groaned, but it didn't cause him much pain since he was a spirit, and not human. When the other spirit wasn't paying attention to anything else but Namu, I grabbed a book and smacked it across his face, my left hand grabbing onto his shoulder, because if I don't touch them, I can't hurt them, and conduction definitely does not work in these circumstances.

"Who are you?" I shouted to the spirit with jet-black eyes.

He smirked and his lips, then snapped his fingers and disappeared with a puff of grey smoke that had me coughing abruptly.

"Are you okay?" Namu rushed over to see if I was okay. His touch on my skin tingled, but I was thankful that he cared and was less arrogant and annoying than his was the first time we met.

"What was that? A Doppelganger or a twin?"

"I just got possessed by a look-alike. It was horrible, I tell you."

"So that person who told me how he found my house earlier, wasn't you?" I gaped at him.

"I... have no idea, but the last thing I remembered was pulling out a chair. Even spirits can get possessed, this is crazy. It's nice to know I can feign him off myself..." He continued ranting. "Hey, you haven't answered my first question."

"What? Oh, yeah, I'm alright. Thanks, even though you weren't too much help." I joked.

"Weren't too much help? Puh-lease, if I didn't fight him off in time you would have suffocate to death; I think you should thank me again, this time with sincerity ."

I ignored him and looked over to Sungjong instead, who was still sleeping soundly even though there was so much noise earlier. Namu shifted to stand in front of me to get my attention. I smiled and said thank you again, thinking that if we get on good terms my life would really be spared. He wasn't as horrible as I thought he was anyway. 

"So, what have you been doing today?" We both asked at the same time.

Namu grinned.

"Nothing much, just been to many places with lots of people, trying to look for someone that looks like you. It's really tougher than I thought."

"Hey, you know what? You should tell me about your past, how you died, what you did, and everything you've did before you were killed. You have never told me anything and you expect me to go looking around for the person who killed you?"

"Fine, fine, but I really don't see how this helps you in your search. Now let's see, I used to be the lead singer of a band who sang on the streets, taking that as my part-time income. It was this one particular night when I was going home after practice, and the lights were dim at the alley I was walking at. I got stabbed from the back, but I managed to turn around and grab hold of the assassin's mask, pulling it off, revealing her face, but it was not exactly clear, since it was under the moonlight, but hey, that face wasn't any ordinary face."

"So you're not exactly sure who killed you?"

"I told you I know how she looks like! And-"

"You're one hundred and one percent sure?"

"I'm sure." He answered defiantly, folding his arms and pouting. "By the way, I'm going to stay here for the night."

"Suit yourself."

I headed downstairs to ask Howon oppa if all his friends were going to sleep over, since Sungjong was already fast asleep, and there wasn't school the next day. Omma welcomed them all to stay, and of course oppa was happier than ever to have company. Namu tagged along wherever I went, making comments about everything in the house.

"Yah, Lee Sungyeol, hurry up!" Howon shouted, running up the stairs to his room.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Namu whip his head to look at Sungyeol... His lips were mumbling something and it seemed like he knew who Sungyeol was.

"What's wrong?" I whisper.

"It's just- oh, nothing."

---

"Good morning!" I was awoken by a cheerful Woohyun floating around my bedroom, opening and closing the blinds to his liking.

"Yah, Namu..." I think I regretted letting him stay, but I couldn't say no, could I? He can come in and go out as he likes anyway since he was a spirit. "Stop being so immature. Now get out, I need to shower."

He chortled and shook his head.

"What are you going to do if I don't?"

I smirked and looked through my favorite drawer, pulling out various items. 

"So let's see, do you hate fire, tomatoes, onions, pointy forks, or wet sponges?"

"Nope, nope, nope~"

"How about garlic?"

"No- wait, garlic?" He shifted away from the garlic that was in my hand.

"Oh, so you hate garlic. You loath it." I shove it closer to him.

"KEEP THAT AWAY!" He shouted, leaving the room with the speed of light.

I bathed in peace, and hurried downstairs to have breakfast. Omma has rules in this house, and that is, if you miss the time for breakfast, you will not get any food after that, and all food will be kept away. I strictly obey these rules because I find that food is essential for living. 

"Good morning, Chaewon!"

Sungjong, Sungyeol and Dongwoo (I just learnt his name) were awake as well, and were waiting for omma to serve the food on the table. Woohyun was out of sight so I didn't bother. Myungsoo and I were going to the local library to study today, so I was hoping we won't have any disturbance. Who knows we might get chased out by the librarian again.

After breakfast, all those who stayed overnight left in a taxi, and I sent them off while waiting for Myungsoo to cycle by my house. From afar, I spotted a black bicycle heading towards my house, and I hopped onto my own yellow bicycle, putting my backpack in the basket in front. 

"You're early." He grinned a little, coming to a stop.

"I had a morning call," I groaned, and he accurately guessed that it was Woohyun's work.

"Is he around? I was actually hoping he doesn't interrupt our study."

"I don't know where he went to, scared him off with garlic. He hates them; I've found his weakness."

"Good job. Should we leave now?"

With Myungsoo taking the lead, we both cycled to the library, feeling the coolness of the wind on the way. We both ended up having a race, with me as the winner, but I know that Myungsoo lost on purpose. We parked our bicycles at the spaces provided, locking it before entering the library. I heard a familiar laughter from somewhere, and I turned around to see Woohyun rocking on my bicycle.

"Oh great, he's here." I mumbled, hands reaching in to the garlic in my pocket.

___________________________________________________

Yes, I have returned ;u; Did subbies miss me? Heh.

My examinations have finished and I am freeeee! I still have lack of inspiration though, but I managed a chapter. I hope I didn't disappoint, but I don't think there's much in this chapter. The next chapter will definitely have more! Please feel free to check out my other stories :)