o8. Two Of A Kind

Between the Living and the Dead.

"You can see him?" Chaewon carefully asked.

"What do you mean? Why can't I see him?" I questioned back, confused.

Then it hit me. This guy standing in front of me with the bed-hair, cheeky smile, good-looking facial features, must be Nam Woohyun. So this is how he actually looks likes...

"Myungsoo! How the hell-"

"Maybe he acquired your abilities through your blood, didn't you donate your blood to him?" Namu spoke, and he had quite a nice voice.

"That's not exactly possible, right?"

"Well, apparently it happened. Now can you stop leaving poor Myungsoo in a daze and actually explain things to him?" 

I stared blankly at both of them, mind still a little fuzzy. 

"What happened after the incident?" I asked Chaewon.

"The ambulance came and you were sent to the hospital, and they said your left leg fractured a little but it'll heal in two weeks if you get enough rest. You had loss of blood, and they didn't have enough O positive blood in the hospital, so I donated mine, since it's the same type and well, I guess you can see Namu now." 

"Hello." Namu greeted me, and I registered his face in my mind.

Before this, from how Chaewon described him, I always thought he was very intimidating, but he wasn't exactly like the image I had in mind. He seemed nice, like a kid who'd looked for trouble out of boredom. 

"Ah, Myungsoo-ah." Chaewon buried her face in the blanket, murmuring words my ear couldn't catch.

"What?"

"It's all my fault! See now you're like this, how are you going to go to school? If I was the one who got hit, at least my mum would still have Howon oppa and Eunjung unnie. But if you died there, your mum would have no one left-"

I weakly flicked her forehead.

"Hey, but I'm still alive right? Stop talking without using your brain." I half-joked, trying to assure her that I was fine.

Namu guffawed, not bothered by the thought that I can see him. 

"Myungsoo, how are you going to explain this to your parents?" Chaewon was obviously still worried.

"Hm, let's see. I don't really want to tell them, but if they don't come and pay for the hospital fees I can't get discharged. Do you think you can get your mum to fetch us?"

Informing my parents about this matter might trigger their mood, so it's best not to let them know. They've always let me do what I want, as long as I don't get into trouble. They're both busy people, working is their life, so they don't get to spend much time with me. Because of this, I am allowed to do whatever I want, I get to choose the school I want to attend, clubs I want to join, friends I want to associate with, as long as my studies are excellent, and I behave well. They don't mind if I stay at other's house, especially Chaewon, since our parents know each other already.

Now that an accident has happened, they probably will blame Chaewon for it, and transfer me to another school. My parents, they trust me not to cause trouble, to stay safe, to make the right decisions, so if they find out about this, they'll probably start controlling my life instead of letting me have the freedom I'm having now. I'll have to make up a white lie.

"You aren't going home? Staying at my house for two weeks is very suspicious, Myungsoo. It's not going to work."

"Just call up your mum, I'll talk to her about it myself. I have no other choice, I don't want them to take over my life. Even though this isn't exactly your fault, my parents, you know them, they get overprotective when they find out I get a wound. I'll stay at your house and recover as quick as possible, about the scratches, I'll just have to tell them I fell over when I was cycling or something like that. As long as it seems like there is no one else to blame at except for me myself, they will most likely let it off, if it's not that serious."

"It really doesn't seem like a good idea, Myungsoo. You need lies to cover over lies, even if it is a white lie."

"Then do you want me to transfer to another school?" 

That made her stop protesting and she immediately called her mother.

"Wow, my parents used to be like that too." Namu mumbled.

"She's coming to pick us up." Chaewon ended the call. "She's going to lend a wheelchair, because obviously you can't walk with that cast on, so we'll have to wait a little longer. I'm so sorry, Myungsoo."

"Stop apologizing. By the way, er, Namu?" It was my first time addressing him.

Namu looked a little shocked when I called his name, maybe because he forgotten I now have the ability to see spirits, thanks to Chaewon. It's not such a bad thing, to be honest, because now instead of just imagining how the spirits are like according to Chaewon's descriptions, I can now see the real thing. Feels more realistic now that I'm experiencing it myself.

"Wait. You really can see me? I thought it was a joke since you didn't respond to my greeting, neither did you respond to anything I said. Oh wow. And yes, what were you about to say?" Namu exclaimed.

"Just wondered what happened to your parents? You're only a few years older than us, so I was just curious what happened to them. Did you visit them or anything?"

"Hahaha, there's no point in that..." He drawled. "I left home and camped out at a friend's house. Remember how I said I used to be a singer on the streets, yeah, there were a few other members, and I slept at the leader's house. My parents disapproved of everything I did since young, so of course, I kind of rebelled, wanting freedom. At least they let you do what you want; my parents were so protective it felt more like torture than love. Obviously I wouldn't go back, I haven't gone back for so long."

Just then, the door opened and Chaewon's mum came in.

"Myungsoo-ah, oh my, I didn't expect it to be this serious, you've got scratches and bruises all over you as well, no wonder you didn't want to go back. Anyway, the doctor said you can go back, I've got all the medications you need to take from the pharmacist, and I've brought a wheelchair. Chaewon, come help him up." 

"Ah, Mrs Lee, sorry for the trouble, you see-"

"It's alright, I understand. Chaewon told me a bit of it too. Thanks for saving her, Myungsoo-ah. What would I do without you, you're so much better than her own older brother, at least you can look after her."

"Mum!" Chaewon pouted. 

"If you're going to say you can take care of yourself just fine, today is a very bad day to say such things. Hurry on, let's go home."

I sat comfortably on the wheelchair, although I wished I could walk. Mrs Lee insisted that Chaewon should push the wheelchair, to let her reflect on her own actions. She didn't object, but I wanted her to know that it's alright and it's not really her fault.

"Should I push for you?" Namu offered.

"No, thank you, Chaewon will do." 

"Yeah, I can do it, so just keep quiet and stay put." Chaewon retorted.

"Who are you two talking to?" Mrs Lee looked back to check on us and laughed. "Or was I hearing things?"

I grinned at Chaewon, and she was doing the same. Namu snickered behind us, and the three of us replied in unison.

"No one."

_____________________________________________________

There isn't much in this chapter, but it reveals a little on Myungsoo and Woohyun's family background. It just... came to mind I'm sorry haha. I'm sure a casual writer huh /.\ Oh, and sorry if there are mistakes, it's a little late now, and my eyes are really tired, so I'll check tomorrow and correct them.