o3. Introduce

Between the Living and the Dead.

"That's pretty scary, for someone you don't know accusing you as a murderer." Myungsoo said, as he munched on a piece of bread.

"I know right."

We were at the cafeteria, having lunch. There were a few spirits lingering around, but they weren't doing anything. I wonder why didn't they try to touch any of the things in the cafeteria, like the janitor, or that spirit I met earlier, who touched things as they liked. Maybe they have a rule for it too...

"Hello."

I glanced to my right as I saw the spirit taking the seat beside me.

"Is the food at this school nice? I've never eaten food provided by schools." He asked, eyeing my food.

"You haven't?" I asked, as I offered a piece of chicken to him.

I then realized I was being nice to him again. So I ate the chicken instead.

"Why are you pretending to be so nice, when you're an assassin? I wonder who will be your next victim..."

"I told you, I haven't killed anyone. You can continue stalking me if you like, and you'll see I have been living a normal life. Nothing like an assassin or some sort."

The spirit nodded, fingers running through his hair.

"Stalk you... even to places where I'm not allowed to enter?" He smirked.

I immediately understood what he meant.

"If you dare-" I snarled.

He floated a distance away before coming back.

"Watch it." He glared.

"Hey." I motioned him to come over, careful not to let anyone spot me being weird again.

"Mm?" He floated closer, but was still cautious.

"It's pretty annoying, to keep on calling you 'the spirit'. Don't you have a name or something?" I asked.

"Well, you could call me Nam Woohyun, or Namu. That's what they used to call me."

"Namu it is then. What did you do before you died though?"

Woohyun raised his eyebrows.

"Why do you want to know? I suppose you already know anyway, since your boss checks our profiles before sending you to kill-"

He was starting to piss me off.

"For the third time, I did not kill you. I don't know who did, and why you came looking for me, but I'm definitely not the person you're looking for."

He shrugged.

"You look awfully like that assassin. You're still my number one suspect. I don't care." Woohyun played with a butter knife that was placed on the table.

The other students were all too busy talking and playing around they don't even notice the spinning butter knife in mid-air.

I looked at him twirling the knife with his fingers, amazed at how delicate his fingers were...

"Why can you touch things though?" I asked absent-mindedly.

"Because I want to."

"Not all of you spirits can touch?"

Woohyun thought for a while before he responded.

"There's something call a rule book for us spirits, just like your school, there are school rules, we spirits have our own rules too. Basically, if you died when you still have an unfinished business, or there is someone or something that you can't let go, or if you died in vain, you don't go straight to heaven or hell. You are allowed to linger on earth for 49 days, and when the time is up you disappear and return to either heaven or hell, no matter if you complete your task or not."

"Then how long have you been here? And my question isn't answered, Namu..."

"I've been here for approximately 70 days."

"Then why haven't you returned to where you belong?"

"It's because I've made a choice - that is I can touch the earthly things whenever I like, but there are conditions for it - I need to complete the task I came here for, or I am not allowed to return, and will linger here forever until the task is done."

"Is it nice to stay here though?" I asked, curious.

"Not enjoyable at all. Having to float around, walk through people, it's really annoying."

"So you have to complete your task?" I asked again, going back to the original topic. "Do you have to... kill me?"

"Well, I'm suppose to get rid of you and get revenge, but since you say you're not the killer, I'll just stay for observation. I don't like killing innocent people. Plus, that boyfriend of yours seems too cute, he'll get heartbroken if I killed you."

"What boyfriend?"

Woohyun smiled and pointed at Myungsoo.

"He's just my friend, Namu."

Woohyun looked at Myungsoo. He seemed to be admiring him.

"He's got good looks." He complimented.

Suddenly, Myungsoo stood up. He stuck a paper note on my forehead and left the cafeteria. Woohyun stood in front of me to read it.

Tell me whatever you and Namu were talking about at the library later. I hate sitting there listening to you talk to someone I can't hear. See you later :)

"Oh, he left a smiley face at the end. Cute."

I glared at Woohyun. Why was he dragging Myungsoo into this? He had mentioned about Myungsoo for the third time now. He seemed to have read my mind, and he answered my question.

"You better keep a watch on him if you don't want him getting hurt. I still don't trust you, y'know."

_____________________________________________________

There's nothing much in this chapter I'm sorry > <

It's really late here now, so I finished this kinda roughly.

Sorry if there are mistakes!