o5. Problems

Between the Living and the Dead.

 

"So, you've decided to help him out?" Myungsoo asked the next day, wanting confirmation.

"I don't have much of a choice, do I? It's either he kills me, or I help him, isn't it?"

"He seemed a bit lenient on you though. Besides, I thought you told me he said he wouldn't kill the innocent?" Myungsoo sent me a questioning look.

"Probably a lie. I have lived all these years not trusting a single spirit, and I suppose Namu isn't an exception."

Myungsoo nodded as he poked the pancakes on his plate with the fork in his right hand.

"So... how exactly do you plan to help him? That look-alike of yours, she could be anywhere." He continued.

I shut my eyes, and buried my head in my hands, feeling frustrated.

"I don't know what to do, Myungsoo. Maybe that's why I need your help."

"I can't help you if we don't figure something out. We can't just blindly go around asking people, 'Hey, have you seen someone else like her?', you know."

I looked up at him and I see Myungsoo waiting for my reply.

"Oh, of all people, why me?" I flung my hands in the air, while taking deep breaths and calming myself down.

I saw Myungsoo tilt his head to one side, looking at me for a little while, before patting my back lightly, almost pulling me into a hug. I supposed he felt uneasy seeing me like this, since I never really get angry all the time, especially when I'm with him. I'm usually a very stubborn person, and I don't like fitting in with the crowd. Maybe because I don't belong there. Myungsoo was like that too. Which was one of the reasons why I slowly approached him and talked to him. The first time I met him, I had a strange feeling, purging me on to talk to him. 

Eventually I did, and I had to, for the sake of our projects. Getting him to the talk was one of the challenges I faced, but talking to Myungsoo was always different compared to anyone else. Myungsoo makes me feel more comfortable, and when I talk the words flow easily. I don't usually talk much, especially with my father who's always working; but somehow seeing Myungsoo, the words roll off my tongue much faster and easier than I expect it to. Once again, my thoughts were brought back to the days I first met him, that was two years ago.

Lately, his sudden actions kept on bringing me to the past. Myungsoo; he was my only friend. A friend that could understand me better than anyone else, a friend that brought comfort, a friend that made me happy. If it wasn't for Myungsoo, I supposed my life would be dull, just like the first year in Erin High School. Back then, I had no friends at all. I wonder if Myungsoo had any; I didn't ask about his life before. He was solemn and quiet for the first few weeks  we sat together, and when he started talking, the only topic we had was about our project.

Later then, he would ask about me, and I will ask him to tell me his hobbies and interests, which he delightfully poured out to me. But when I asked him about his life at home or his family, he would dismiss it and change the topic. I understood how he felt, so I didn't ask on. The past is the past anyway, and I find no need for him to bring it up. Then, Myungsoo's voice snapped me back into reality.

"Chaewon, you hear me?"

I didn't realize my eyes were shut earlier, and when I opened them, I found myself leaning on Myungsoo's shoulder. Despite our close friendship, I wasn't used to being in Myungsoo's arms. Come to think of it, it's the first time I'm in there. It was comfortable, but I tell myself over and over again that we're just friends, and we shouldn't be this close; too close to the extent of embracing each other. 

"Sorry, just had... a lot on my mind." I said, almost a whisper, as I sat upright and he removed his arms that were once around my shoulder.

He must have realized that it was the first time he's ever hugged me- wait, that wasn't a hug, it was merely a way of showing his comfort. Anyway, I could see a tint of pink on his fair cheeks, and he resumed eating. I was grateful we were alone. He was asking me something earlier, I thought.

"You were asking me something?" I cleared my throat, hoping to shove away the awkwardness.

"Just telling you that when you're done eating we can get to the bus stop now."

Today, my brother was sick, and because my mother wasn't really convinced that I'll make it to school by myself, she made Myungsoo accompany me to school. Usually Myungsoo would cycle since it's not far from his house, but today he'd took the effort to cycle to my house, and take the bus with me. Mother said she would make hot pancakes for him, and because he hardly gets to eat home-cooked food, he was delightful to come.

"Alright, I'm done eating." 

I stacked up the dirty plates and brought them to the kitchen. Though I don't talk much, omma was the only person in this household who I could easily talk to. I placed the plates in the sink and saw omma preparing Howon oppa's breakfast. I quickly ran back to Myungsoo who was patiently waiting at the door. I didn't want to keep him waiting, so I hurried and tripped.

"Chaewon, are you okay?" Myungsoo got a shock when I fell down in front of him.

Was I okay? I looked at myself; no injuries, no bruises, I guess I was alright. I simply laughed at myself for being so silly and clumsy. Myungsoo shook his head and his lips lifted up into a smile. He stretched out his hand and helped me up while omma who was in the kitchen turned around the corner, holding onto a chair for support. 

"What happened?" She asks, panting while Myungsoo and I both sheepishly grin.

"Oh, it's nothing. Just Chaewon being clumsy again." Myungsoo opened the door and literally shove me outside. "We'll be going now!"

"Take care of her, alright?" 

I sighed. Omma thinks I can never handle things on my own. I'm a smart girl, I'm sure walking to the bus stop and taking the bus to school isn't that hard, is it? Do I really need someone to accompany me everywhere? But since it's Myungsoo as company, I guess it's alright. Then I thought of Sungjong... oh no, where will he sit? He usually sits beside me, but now with Myungsoo here, Sungjong would probably have to sit with his brother, Sungyeol. They're very close though, not like me and Howon, but maybe it's because they're both boys and very nice.

Myungsoo sat with me on the bus, and we talked about Namu, discussing how we should help him, or at least convince him to stay on our side. Finding my look-alike is definitely not an easy task.  As Sungjong boarded the bus, with Sungyeol behind him, I expected him to be disappointed because he couldn't sit beside me, instead he had a wide smile and greeted Myungsoo very happily. He then took the seat behind us.

"Where's Howon?" Sungyeol asked me.

This was the first time I've ever spoke to him, and I noticed he had a loud voice, a bit like Sungjong, especially when he's mad.

"He's sick. Fever." I answered briskly.

He slumped into the seat next to Sungjong and they began to talk about how delicious breakfast was. Then Sungyeol asked Sungjong about his class, and how he was coping at school. I sighed. I never had a proper conversation with oppa before. The last one we had was when he thought I was in his room, looking through his drawers and cupboards. I clearly told him it was a spirit and I didn't dare to take a step into his room so it couldn't be me. I guess he doesn't believe me.

As we neared school, I suddenly remembered I had to get oppa's homework. 

"Excuse me, Sungyeol... ssi?" I wasn't sure how to address him.

"Yes?"

"Could you please get my brother's homework and pass it to me on the ride home later?"

"No problem. I was planning to drop off at your house and meet him later anyway."

"Okay. Thank you."

----

I was surprised to not see Namu anywhere at school. It was a good thing though. Myungsoo and I haven't thought of any solutions. There was nothing we could do actually, either I die or we find the girl. If Namu is a little merciful, he might spare me but he still insists that I find the girl. I was curious, to why an assassin was sent to kill Namu. What has he done before he died? He can't have died for nothing. Maybe, if I got a little bit of information from Namu, I would understand things better. But that doesn't help me find the girl.

She could be anywhere, might be in Seoul, Korea itself but we don't have a clue. There is nothing I can do. But one false move, and the consequences are unimaginable. Namu, although looks kind, I believe that there is a part of him that still deeply seeks revenge and is reminded of the day when he was killed whenever he sees my face. This leads me to another question? How exactly did he die? Why did the assassin show him how she looked? There was so much I didn't know about Namu. I've decided, the next time I see him, I would definitely ask him about everything. If he refuses, I could just simply say it will help me find the girl somehow, or that it might spark an idea in my head and help him out. Myungsoo could help me convince him. 

School ended as usual, only now I have more frequent conversations with the school janitor spirit. I met Sungjong waiting for me at the school gates, and the four of us, including Myungsoo and Sungyeol, walked to the bus stop together. Sungyeol told the bus driver not to stop at his house, but send him to my house instead. Sungjong had no choice but to follow. He had no objections though, as he was curious to see what my house was like. Myungsoo, whose bike is still parked at my house, was also heading the same direction.

The four of us got off the bus together and I led them to my house. It was as if we were playing 'Follow the Leader' and we made a beeline to my house. I noticed an extra pair of school shoes. Sungyeol must have recognized the shoes, because he smiled when he saw them. We took off our shoes and casually chucked them aside, entering the house.

Howon oppa and one of his friends were sitting in the living room, having a talk. They turned around to look at us, with a bored expression, but that was until they saw Sungyeol. Sungjong, Myungsoo and I jumped aside as they dragged Sungyeol in. Having three of them in my house... it's going to be a long night. Myungsoo told me he had to leave soon before it gets late, so Sungjong and I headed upstairs to finish our respective homework after sending him off.

It was getting late, but Sungyeol and that other friend with extremely loud laughs were still here. I supposed oppa felt much better, because I could hear him laughing as well. I sighed, as I see Sungjong snuggling in the blanket I draped over him when he dozed on the couch.

"Boys sure are loud." I said to myself, and I tried my best to concentrate on my homework.

"I guess Myungsoo and that kid over there would be an exception, they're quiet." A familiar voice chimed. 

I turned to see Namu peering over my shoulder, looking at my homework.

"Wow, it's been so long since I've studied. How's it going with the hunt?" He flipped a few pages of each book on the table, and pulled out a chair to read.

"How did you find my house?" I decided to change the topic.

"Well, I was in the bus the whole time, and I followed the four of you down. That's quite a bunch you brought home."

"You were?" 

I didn't notice him in the bus. I should have felt his aura. But Namu had distinct features, it would be quite easy to spot him among a hundred floating spirits! Why didn't I sense him, or see him earlier? Unless, he's learnt how to control himself from revealing his aura, or find better hiding spots so he could hide from my sight?

"You know, two can play this game, girl." Namu said, as a book dropped to the floor.

__________________________________________________

Its 11pm here at my place and I'm dead tired. yawned a lot while checking for mistakes, so I might miss out some. It's a Saturday tomorrow but I have school. D: I'm going to have some rest now~