Chapter 4

Sunset [REVIEWING UNDER PROGRESS]

“This one? She is the best our academy can provide. Her shooting range 10/10, and all other tests that she took annually, Taekwondo, Judo, Punching and all is of perfect score. 100%. No one can deny her abilities.”

 
“But, her outer appearance, it’s too soft. She looks like a doll too much. No one will be afraid of her.”
 
“You do not need to worry about this point. She can act as your daughter’s friend but at the same time, protect your daughter.”
 
“True. True.” The middle aged man nodded as he processed what the president of Shinhwa Academy had said. 
 
“Also, I would suggest you to tell your daughter that she is her bodyguard, so your daughter won’t be too surprised when danger comes and her “friend” recues her by using guns and fists.”
 
“Sure. Is she really the best out of everyone here? I don’t want anything to happen to my daughter.”
 
“Positive. She is the ace for our academy. If you and I are not old friends, I would not have let you hire her. Her age is the same as your daughter, which means they can click well. Her cold demeanour is one of her advantage too. Even I myself is afraid of her when she glares. Not to mention when she is angry, which happens rarely, since she hides her emotions really well.” 
 
“Hmm.. Okay then. I really hope that she can do well. All the other bodyguards I hired for my daughter failed in their jobs. I hope this will be the last time I hire one.” The middle-aged man sighed. 
 
“You can be sure she is perfect, Kim. I look forward to working with you again.” Said Lee Soo Man, president of Shinhwa Academy, which provides bodyguards for people to hire. 
 
“Sure, Lee. Let’s go for a cup of tea now, it has been years since we met each other.” Mr Kim said as he stood up with Lee Soo Man.
 
***
 
Jessica’s head was whirling. Her mind can only think of one thing. Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon. The name kept repeating in Jessica’s mind she looked over to the baby-like face girl who was now pouting. Should I go to her? Should I? She probably forgot about me already. Or else, why did she show no reaction when I introduced myself? Last time, I was known as Sooyeon. Now, I am known as Jessica and I become blonde. She would not recognise me. Would not… 
 
Jessica sighed and place her head on the table, knocking her head a few times. She did not even notice her phone vibrating until Sunny told her. 
 
From: Soo Man Seonsaeng
Hey, come to the Academy at 1pm. I got something to tell you.
To: Ace Sica
 
Looking at the message, Jessica wondered why seonsaeng wanted to meet her. Her results were great, and she had finished training her own batch of juniors. Shrugging her worries off, Jessica typed in a quick reply before going off to dreamland, hoping it can make her forget her worries.
 
From: Ace Sica
Sure. Will be there.
To: Soo Man Seonsaeng
 
 
 
 
***
 
“Wakey wakey! Sica-yah! It’s lunch time!” Sunny said as she tried to wake a sleeping princess up. 
 
“Mhmm.. Taengoo...”
 
“Yah, what are you talking about? I can’t hear you!” Sunny said crossly as she poked Jessica’s cheek.
 
Jessica woke up with a start as she felt something poking her cheek. Opening her eyes, she saw a girl crossing her arms while sending daggers to her. Groaning, Jessica got up and asked Sunny what happened. 
 
“It’s lunch time! Sunny is hungry~” Sunny pouted cutely at Jessica. Shaking her head, Jessica looked at the time that wrote 12.50pm. “SHOOT!” Jessica shouted as she rushed out of classroom, not caring about Sunny’s screaming about skipping school and her lunch.
 
 
 
 
***
 
BOOM
 
Lee Soo Man chuckled as his office door flew open that revealed a messy blonde standing there, panting profusely. 
 
“You are 50 seconds late, Jessica.” 
 
“Well, if you look at just the minute and hour hand, then I am not late at all.” Jessica huffed indignantly as she plopped down on one of the arm chairs. Lee Soo Man merely laughed at Jessica’s action.
 
“Anyway, seonsaeng, why do you want to meet me?”
 
“Oh, of course. I need you to be a bodyguard for this person.” Lee Soo Man said as he took out a file, showing it to Jessica. “You will also be staying at her house or should I say, mansion and be around her 24 hours per day. Of course, you can come to the Academy if you like to practice but you must make sure she is safe, you can also bring her here to the Academy and let her wait in the waiting room or you can come here at night when she is asleep.”
 
Opening the file, Jessica’s heart leapt as she saw the name. “Kim Taeyeon!” Jessica almost shrieked as she saw the name. 
 
“Yes. Kim Taeyeon. Since her father is Korea’s leading businessman, he sure needs someone to protect his daughter, you agree? Is there any problem?” Lee Soo Man asked as he saw Jessica’s reaction.
 
“N-No.” Jessica stuttered but regained her composure after a few moments. “When will I be moving in? What is the excuse for my intruding in her house?”
 
“Actually, you will be moving in today at 5pm. For your excuse, you do not need any as Mr Kim will be telling Taeyeon that you, Jessica Jung will be Kim Taeyeon’s bodyguard. For your attitude towards Taeyeon, act normally. Oh, and remember to not tell anyone about this special job of yours. From what I know, you are staying with your cousin now, right? You can tell her that you are Taeyeon’s bodyguard, but, on one condition, she must not tell anyone. So, are you okay with this job?” Lee Soo Man asked yet again, to confirm with Jessica.
 
“Sure. I am okay with it.” Jessica said confidently as she looked at Lee Soo Man. “Great! Then let’s get you home now and pack up, shall we?”
 
 
From: Ice Block
Hey, I found an apartment to live in. So I am moving out today. But, don’t miss me too much yeah?  
To: Aegyo Bunny
 
From: Aegyo Bunny
WHAT? YOU ARE MOVING OUT? Hey! Is that why you rushed out of school today huh? You hate me huh! 
To: Ice Block
 
Jessica chuckled the moment she saw Sunny’s message. Typing a quick reply saying she will call Sunny later to explain, she resumed packing and dragged her luggage down the stairs. 
 
“Ah, Jessica. You are finally here! I thought about how long I will wait for you. Good thing I told you to come earlier. Come on, let’s bring your luggage to the car.” Lee Soo Man said as he lead Jessica out. 
 
 
 
 
***
 
Jessica was not surprised as she stepped out of the car. This house… It’s still so familiar. It hasn’t changed at all… Feeling tears welling in her eyes, Jessica quickly blinked and pretended to rub her eyes. 
 
“Are you okay?” Seeing Jessica rubbing her eyes, Lee Soo Man immediately asked concernedly. “Yeah. No problem. Just some sand that got into my eye.” Jessica said hastily and proceeded to dry her eyes. Lee Soo Man nodded his head even though he was not convinced, but he let it pass as he did not want to force Jessica to say out what is going through her mind.
 
“Come on, let’s go in.”
 
 
“Hello there, Lee! Welcome to my house!” A voice boomed as Mr Kim appeared above the stairs. 
 
“Hello, Kim. This is the bodyguard I have recommended you to hire.” Lee Soo Man stated as he ushered Jessica forward. 
 
“Annyeonghaseyo. I am Jessica Jung, the newly hired bodyguard for Miss Kim Taeyeon.” Jessica said calmly as she bowed. Hi there, uncle. It’s been a long time, isn’t it?
 
“Hello there, Jessica!” Mr Kim said warmly as he patted Jessica’s head. “Your surname sounds really familiar to some old childhood friend Taeyeon had. What was her name again? Hmm… Oh, of course. Jung Sooyeon. That’s my child’s best friend. However, one day, Sooyeon disappeared for some unknown reason and Taeyeon was really heartbroken. I think she even cry on some nights now even though so many years had passed.” Mr Kim sighed as he shook his head.
 
Jessica’s heart leapt as she heard Mr Kim’s story. Sorry, Taengoo. I didn’t know you suffered so much… I-I should not tell you I am Sooyeon from the past. I shoudn’t… It will only bring more pain to you, won’t it? I should not… Jessica thought as she clenched her fist tightly until her knuckles turned white to reduce the pain in her heart.
 
“Anyway, Jessica, the butler had already took your luggage up to your room. You will be living there permanently, as Lee had told you before, I believe?”
 
Clearing , Jessica managed a nod as she followed the maid up the stairs while saying goodbye to Lee Soo Man. There's no turning back now, Jessica...
 
 
***
 
Ringgggg
 
"C'MON! Let's gooooo!" Sooyoung exclaimed as she jumped out from her seat upon hearing the bell ring, but ended up falling awkwardly on one side, creating laughter from the class. Standing up quickly with her face red, Sooyoung ignored her classmates as she pulled Taeyeon and Yuri out.
 
"That's some gag you've shown, Soo!" Yuri laughed as she clutched her stomach. "Shut up Yul." Sooyoung mumbled. "Anyways, let's go to the mall today!" Sooyoung exclaimed as she punched the air, forgetting about her humiliation just now.
 
"Nah, I can't. Dad says her have something important to tell me. Gotcha go home right now." Taeyeon spoke as she looked at her watch.
 
Honk
 
"Oops! Seems that my driver reached. That's early! Well, bye!" Taeyeon shouted as she waved goodbye to Yuri and Sooyoung while running to the limousine.
 
"Hi! Sorry to keep you waiting, Mr Shin."
 
"No problem, Miss Kim."
 
"Mr Shin, do you know why my father wants me to go home so early today?"
 
"Apologies, Miss Kim. I do not know why, just that a blonde had just er, move into your house."
 
A blonde? Weird. Why would Dad let someone move in? Thought Taeyeon as she looked out of the car, anticipating the things that await her in her mansion.
 
"Miss Kim, we have reached."
 
"Thanks, Mr Shin!"
 
Taeyeon hopped out of the limousine and rushed towards her house. "Hey, Dad! Why do you want to see me for?" Taeyeon shouted as she stepped into the mansion.
 
"Hey, princess! You're back! That's great! Well, wait for me for a while. Go, go! Ito the living room you go!" Mr Kim smiled as he shooed his daughter, who pouted, into the living room.
 
 
Jessica was lying on her bed reading her book. She had to admit this room was really nice and comfy for her. It was purple, with a walk-in closet.
 
Hearing a knock on her door, Jessica scrambled out of bed and ran towards it, almost bumping into the person outside the door.
 
"Hi, Jessica! Taeyeon came home already, so let's go down and meet her, shall we?" Mr Kim greeted Jessica as he pulled her down without waiting for Jessica's reply.
 
"Princess! This is the person that will be around with you from now on! Her name's Jessica, and she will be your bodyguard!" Mr Kim's voice boomed as he stepped into the living room, smiling and pulling a blonde in.
 
Taeyeon looked up and stopped her surfing through her channel. Who's this? Looks so familiar... "Hi! I am Kim Taeyeon!" SHe introduced herself with a smile on her face. The blonde looked up with a flushed face, "probably from all the pulling." Taeyeon thought as she waved a little.
 
Jessica heart can't help but leaped when she saw Taeyeon standing in the middle of the living room with a dorky smile on her face. Shaking her head, Jessica cleared and introduced herself, putting on a cold front. "Hello. I am Jessica Jung, your new bodyguard." No, no,I cannot crumble. Jessica thought desperately as she saw Taeyeon smile fading a little. Awkward tension...
 
"Okay! Now, since you all have introduced yourself, let's eat dinner now!" Mr Kim said happily like a small kid while pulling TaengSic to the dining room, not noticing the awkward atmosphere in which Taeyeon was thinking Why is she so cold? and Jessica, I must be cold, I must be cold.