Bucketlist

Take Me Away

It was a day filled with a brand new beginning. As if the past never happened before, as if they travelled back to those times they were always smiling in each other’s faces instead of crying. Those times when no one had learnt of Kevin’s sickness, those times when the word ‘Leukaemia’ sounded so foreign to Eli’s ears.

Kevin was slowly thinning, like a liposuction surgery gone wrong, he was all skin and bones. With weeks passing by, Kevin’s weak body began to deteriorate at a rate beyond human, his body filled with blue-black bruises. Wounds and cuts took longer to recover than before. His lips and cheeks lose its pink, dark eye circles started to form despite the sufficient sleep. But never did Kevin end a day without a smile on his face, with Eli being around him all the time, it made him stronger, if anything, it made him a fighter.

It was night time. They were in the middle of the city, as they sat down amidst the skyscrapers of corporate buildings, shopping malls and its attractions. They were silent the entire time as they watch the bustling crowd of the usual office crowd died down replaced by the nightlife. The panoramic view of the city, one that Kevin always admired in pictures on the media stood glorified right in front of him. He smiled to himself and let out a soft chuckle, catching Eli’s attention.

“What’s so funny?” Eli asked, his eyes were still scanning around the city nightlife, admiring the scene passing by him- yes, Eli, despite having a sick friend next to him was checking girls out.

It was a Friday night, girls sashayed pass Eli in groups, giggling and whispering among themselves. Some turned around to give Eli a second look flashing a beautiful smile that might already have fawn a few guys over. Eli simply returned them with his signature wink, sending the girls off into combustion of fireworks in their heart and fits of seducing giggles. And then there was Kevin, who was really enjoying his time with nature and the charming view of the city skyline, totally oblivious to his best friend’s raging hormones.

“Second last thing off my Bucket List,” Kevin simply sighed as he stood up from his seat, one hand outstretched in front of Eli.

Kevin was thankful, with his body being ever so weak; he could still walk and stand on his feet. He gets tired easily, but Eli would know without him telling just by listening to Kevin’s huffed breaths, or when Kevin started to slow down and they would just sit somewhere until Kevin felt fine again. It might be troublesome to others, but to Eli, the more they stop to take a breather, it’s like a new page has turn. He learnt more about Kevin as they speak, he tells Eli things he never told anyone and he never ran out of secrets or things to share. Eli on the other hand never ran out of jokes leading them to laugh it off awkwardly or laugh at it so hard the two boys will be on their knees.

            Eli took Kevin’s stone-cold hands in him and stood up too as they left the bench on the bridge they were on.

            “What was that?” Eli asked, his thumb drawing soothing circles on the back of Kevin’s hand.

            “To watch the beautiful city skyline,” Kevin had his eyes close, enjoying the tickling sensation on his hand. “With you,” Kevin laced his fingers with Eli. “As I watch the night passes by, like those time lapse videos.” Kevin finished.

            Eli can’t help but just smile. Kevin had been confessing a lot these days, sometimes it feels like they’re not best friends or blood brothers but lovers instead. But he does not want to complicate their relationship with unnecessary drama. As long as it keeps Kevin smiling, he’d even put his life on the line.

            “What’s the last off your bucket list?” Eli cocked his head to the side.

            “To fall in love,” Kevin confessed as he felt his cheeks growing hot the moment the words flow out of his lips.

            Eli turned just in time to catch the tint of redness on Kevin’s blushing cheeks, it seems almost alive, the pale cheeks had colour after like forever. The words replayed in Eli’s head ‘fall in love.’ Kevin, the boy who has yet to experience his first love, the most blissful time of their lifetime, that sweet innocent love story that one will never forget. But first love can also be the most painful. Eli would rather have Kevin crying in his arms, brawling out on how his first love breaks his heart and made him lose faith in love than having Kevin in his arms crying how much he feared death and how afraid he was waking up every day without Eli by his side.

            “That was my first,” Kevin’s voice came out merely a whisper to Eli who was distracted with his thoughts.

            “First, what?”

            “You, stole my first kiss, Eli,” Kevin whispered, as his free hand traced his lips.

            Eli snicker at the memory of how Kevin was actually the one who coyly placed his warm lips on Eli’s at their private sanctuary by the hill.

            “No, you made yourself do it,” Eli stopped in his track in front of Kevin as he turned his back to admire the innocent look of the younger boy who had his eyes everywhere but Eli’s eyes.

           It was too late at night, passed midnight, and the road was quiet with no cars in sight. Later did they realise, their feet actually brought them to their high school district- the first place where they began the beautiful friendship. A lot has changed since then as they found themselves in the middle of the road, across from their school.

            Eli never let go of the fingers that laced impeccably between his. He took a step forward as they lined perfectly below the road lamp that shone warm orange. Kevin’s eyes were still searching for a target to lock on but Eli’s gazed were fixed on to the vulnerable Kevin.

            He didn’t know what he was doing. It just felt like the right thing to do. His heart was calm for once. His head was no longer turmoil, it was clear for once like he knew what he was doing. He took a deep breath as he laced his other set of fingers to that of Kevin’s.

            “Kevin.”

            Kevin looked up, caught by Eli’s warm charming gaze. No, Kevin, look away. His brain was screaming at him to do things his heart opposed. Deep down he knew, some day, he have to go, he have to let go. He would have to shut his eyes and never see Eli ever again.

            Kevin closed his eyes as he felt Eli’s breath so close, too close, and lingering on his lips. Eli leaned in, eliminating every inch of distance between them as their lips met. Eli’s soft, warm lips.Heaven.

            “Are you in love now, Kevin?” Eli whispered, ever so softly in between their kiss, their forehead pressed together. Kevin innocently nodded, as he wraps his arms around Eli’s neck, burying his face to the crook of Eli’s neck. Eli hugged the boy tighter.

Eli knew he was in too deep. Being this attached to the boy he will be the one in pain. He will eventually be the one left behind with fragments of happy memories he will try so hard to forget. He was in too deep he couldn’t imagine how he is going to let go of something so precious to him. But for now, he prayed time will just stop. Let him have this moment locked in his heart forever. Forget about being broken, torn and tattered. Let him fill himself with nothing but Kevin, his heart, his mind his soul and his every living cell in this body, just Kevin.

Kevin let’s go of all his worries, insecurities, fear as he prayed for time to stop. He closed his eyes. His heart was slowly beating as he allows himself being in Eli’s arms. Kevin let’s go of it all; filling himself with nothing but Eli. He knows he is being selfish because in the end it is Eli who gets left behind. Kevin withdrew from his every sane thought as he let darkness consume him as he slowly slids down from Eli’s arms, falling to his knees.

            Kevin was smiling. He had the most peaceful smile on his face as he slips into unconsciousness.

            Eli saw it coming though.

 

___________________________________________________

YAY! after so long. im sorry. i got caught up with brainstorming for one shots. :D HAHA. i had one completed though, if youre niceeeee. go check it out.! it's BLOCK B though. so yeahhh. THE JESTER! <3 and this story is also coming to an endddddd~ NUUUUU! D; but i have another fanfiction on its waaaay~ :D so anticipates please. i'm back to my weird es for dark stuffs. so if you love all those angst. YAY FOR YOU. :D haha. im trying to improve with every story though. and for those who stayed faithful to this fanfiction despite me being a lazybum. COME LET ME LOVE YOUUUUU! <3