Chapter Seven

Allure of the City Lights

Chapter Seven

“Behind His Mask”- Portfolio Seven

               Yoochun waved to his fans, maintaining his cool persona instead of the carefree one he was used to. At that moment, Junsu opened a tent flap, stepping gracefully onto the set. He adjusted a pair of sunglasses to fit on top of his eyes and turned his gaze to Yoochun who was entertaining the fans on the boardwalk. He strode next to him, peering up at the crowd. He hadn’t really expected many of his to attend since this event was added to his schedule late last night, but a hoard of them had gathered in their own area, waving supportive banners his way. Junsu smiled at them and lifted a hand to acknowledge them—the response was astounding.

               “How did you do that? I need to wink or something before they give me half that response,” Yoochun praised, nodding in approval. He patted Junsu’s back and the two began a casual conversation revolving around the recent jobs they’d been offered. Fans spotted the interaction and quickly dubbed them as a new couple for good measure.

               “Everyone ready?” Cheol Yong asked, picking up his camera from around his neck for the second time today. His smile widened as Rae Mi dashed onto the scene. She unexpectedly tripped on something nonexistent and tumbled forward, spraying sand into the air. Yoochun’s boisterous laugh was the first to fill the air, but his persona changed as his fans began murmuring to themselves. He glanced at his manager who was clearly glaring at him with a clenched jaw. For appearance’s sake, he quickly walked to Rae Mi’s side and lifted her effortlessly.

               “Gwenchana?” he said, purposely deepening his voice into a rather husky tone.

               Cue screaming.

               Startled by his change in attitude, Rae Mi shifted away from his grasp. She opted to sit next to Junsu instead who was leisurely relaxing by himself on the sand. Waves crashed onto the shore and sent a spray of water towards him. They merely tickled his toes and deliberately rolled-up jeans. He posed coolly, one knee propping an arm up and a leg outstretched so that the salt water brushed against his skin. He let out a deep breath and closed his eyes, letting his head fall back. This was nice.

               Contrary to his last photo shoot, Cheol Yong was running back and forth, camera clicking away as he snapped shot after shot, not wanting to miss a second. He gestured for them to sit closer with a flick of his hand. It was awkward for Junsu, to say the least. He struggled to maintain his cool as Rae Mi rested her hand atop his, trembling slightly at the contact. Yoochun rolled his eyes and strode over, yanking Rae Mi up and running along the sea shore. Their feet splashed against the water, Rae Mi laughing all the while, even as water rained down on her garments.

               It took Junsu a few moments to realize Rae Mi was no longer next to him. He shot daggers at Yoochun who caught the glare and slunk away, taking Rae Mi with him. She nearly tripped into the ocean when Junsu caught hold of her and proceeded to run in the opposite direction. Yoochun grinned behind him, only to notice Rae Mi was missing. What . . . the . . . hell? “Oppa!” she yelped, covering her face as Junsu flicked beads of water at her. He smiled fondly, until a wave toppled over him. He came up sputtering, Yoochun laughing at his misfortune.

                The rest of the shoot went smoothly, no other mishaps creating disturbances on the scene. There were only a few surprises in store for fans watching the shoot with admiring gazes. Yoochun showed a mischievous side to him which was new, but the bigger spectacle had been for Junsu’s fans who curiously watched Rae Mi and him interact. Strangely there weren’t any feelings of hostility towards her since even they could tell—the new model had somehow broken through to him. It was a nice change.

                “Great job, everyone! That’s a wrap!” Cheol Yong shouted over the hard-working staff members. Yoochun, Rae Mi, and Junsu were each handed a towel to dry off and tossed into their tents to change into their normal clothes. Junsu was the first one finished, looking lost until Rae Mi stepped out of her tent. She waved him over, taking out her cell phone and handing it to him.

               “You have to call me so we can keep in touch,” she said. “I heard you have a flight on the next plane to the States for your next photo shoot. Promise you’ll message me when you get back so we can meet up again?” Junsu nodded, shyly handing back her phone.

               “I promise—“

               “Ooohh, Rae Mi’s cell phone,” Yoochun spoke, yanking the phone out of her grip. He entered his number into the contacts and pestered her for her number in return. She gave in quickly, not bothering to question his strange ways anymore. She had a feeling she would be seeing more of it in the future. “Your number’s already in here, Junsu?” The more experienced model nodded, fishing his cell phone out of his pocket and asked for both their numbers. Needless to say, both complied and switched the topic to hanging out before Junsu left.

               “When are you leaving?” Yoochun asked, brushing his hair back casually. Junsu checked to time on his cell phone.

               “Actually, I’m due to leave in an hour. I have to start heading off to the airport now. Maybe we can get together next time?” he wondered hopefully, glancing at Rae Mi. Yoochun pretended not to notice what his statement was implying and nodded.

               “Of course,” he answered.

               “Sure thing,” Rae Mi assured. “Just give us a call. Get there safely!” Junsu nodded and waved enthusiastically behind him as he ran through a cleared path on the boardwalk. Yoochun turned to Rae Mi.

               “How about us?” he asked. “We can go hang out. I have nothing to do anyways.” Rae Mi’s mind flashed back to Youngbae, she didn’t want to confront him just yet. She didn’t know where to start. Yoochun didn’t wait for her reply and pulled her towards his car. “How does a café sound? I know a good one nearby.”

               “I’m up for anything,” she said, shrugging carelessly.

               “Let me just get the rest of my stuff. I’ll be right back,” he promised, darting back into the tent he’d been changing in before. Rae Mi patiently waited, but seconds turned to minutes and even they dragged on. A loud thud resonated off the side of the tent and she jumped, startled by the noise. She crept closer, overhearing an argument she probably wasn’t meant to hear.

               “Hyung!”

               “No, don’t call me that anymore you ungrateful brat,” a voice spat angrily. Rae Mi winced at the venom embedded into the words. “I told you to keep in character. It’s what the company wants and what the company wants is what they get! This will cause our stock to drop again! Do you remember the last time you tried a different concept? It turned out to be a disaster! Quit while you’re ahead, boy!”

               There was another loud thud and this time a cry of pain accompanied it. “Hyung . . .” Yoochun’s voice whispered weakly. “You said we were family,” his voice sounded utterly heart-broken. “Please, don’t do this,” he pleaded.

               “Shut up,” his manager whispered harshly. “You should’ve thought of that before. Mwoh? You think you can pay for the backlash your actions are going to cause the company? Park Yoochun, always failing to think things through. Do you think you’ll be free of your contract anytime soon when you only bring us debts to pay?” Rae Mi lifted the bottom flap of the tent and peeked under the cover, catching a glimpse of Yoochun with a forming bruise on his cheek. His manager rolled his sleeves back down, trying to cover bruises also forming on his knuckles—evidence of his attack.

               “You can’t keep doing this, hyung,” Yoochun whispered bravely. “Someone’s going to figure it out sooner or later.” His fists clenched around the soil he was sitting upon. He wasn’t trying to escape anymore. He’d given up on that a long time ago.

               “Better later than sooner,” he retorted, heading for the tent’s exit. Rae Mi ran to the outer side of the tent, slipping behind it just as Yoochun’s manager stepped out, straightening his blazer. She squeezed her fists and gritted her teeth in anger. Eyes figuratively glowing red, she stepped towards him, ready to give her a piece of her mind when Yoochun spotted her and yanked her back. He looked at her curiously while gripping her arm. Rae Mi noticed his cheek had been thickly coated with a layer of make-up.

               “You ready to head out?” he asked, despite the growing feeling of bile rising from his throat. He had a bad feeling about her appearance. The thought of her hearing the conversation he had with his manager flashed briefly through his mind, but he waved it off. She couldn’t have. “Did you . . .”

               “Let’s go,” she said, cutting in and ignoring his words. She’d have to talk to him about it later.

               The drive to the café was silent. Except for the occasional glances Yoochun shot her, there was no interaction between them. In fact, it was rather awkward. Rae Mi hastily got out of his car, relieved to be out of the tense atmosphere. “It’s this way. Come on,” he said, gesturing down an alleyway. She cautiously followed behind him. He turned abruptly to the left and held open a door.

               Just before Rae Mi could step inside, a man bumped into her on the way out. He turned to apologize, but when he saw Rae Mi he paled. He quickly bowed and sprinted away from the scene, rounding a corner and disappearing from sight. When he was sure both models had gone inside, he peered from behind the corner and cautiously walked to the cracked window. His eyes squinted with effort as he tried to see past the distorted images.

               The exterior wasn’t much to look at. Only one window occupied the entrance and it looked purposely broken. If one passed the entrance, they’d definitely mistake it for an abandoned shop. Looks were deceiving. White walls with the occasional pastel blue greeted them, along with comfortable, dollhouse-like furniture. Yoochun brought her to a table and left to order two cups of coffee.

               He came back with two steaming mugs and a comforting smile etched onto his lips. “Best coffee I’ve ever had, trust me.” A few hours ago, Rae Mi would’ve believed him if he told her that. But that was then, when she wasn’t keeping quiet about the issue with his agency. She hesitated and took the mug. Yoochun was the first to speak, concerned about the distraught look in her eyes.

               “Something bothering you?” he asked. Her eyes flickered from the steam rising from her mug to the worried expression on his face. It should’ve been the other way around.

“Tell me the truth behind your mask,” she said, sipping on her coffee. The words had come out so casually it took Yoochun a few moments to register what she had just said. When they did, the smile on his face dissolved. “Why are you still doing these advertisements if you don’t like them? Why are you with this agency if they treat you like shi—”

               “It’s complicated,” he murmured. She had overheard his earlier conversation. There was no doubt about that now. Why else would she be asking. His shoulders became tense again at the question.

               “No, it really isn’t. All there is to it is telling your management to stop putting you in endorsements you don’t want. What’s the big deal? Use your words, Yoochun. If you don’t speak up, they’re just going to keep meddling in your business. Is that what you want? To be stuck as the romantic prince forever?” Well, that was one problem confronted.

               “It’s not that simple,” came his response. Rae Mi rolled her eyes. Predictable.

               “You said you wanted me to help you, but I can’t help if you don’t tell me the truth,” she paused, waiting for his answer but he remained silent. Contrary to his attitude the first time she saw him, he seemed more vulnerable. “Okay, I’ll ask again later. Just tell me . . . why did you want to become a model,” she asked. The commotion at the café weaned as Rae Mi and Yoochun were left alone, a group of students filing out. Yoochun stared at each person as they left, wishing he could do the same. It was uncomfortable telling someone your past, especially if the past was something you weren’t proud of.

               “I became a model because I wanted to make money, just like everybody else.”

               “Liar,” Rae Mi accused, glaring at him now. “Not everyone becomes a model to make money. I didn’t think you were that dense. Tell me the truth,” she pressed on. His shoulders deflated in defeat as he raised his head to look at her. She reminded him of her aunt, Chae Rin, at the moment. He almost forgot models simply portrayed the look desired for products and outfits, it wasn’t who they truly were. He knew that more than anyone.

               “I . . . wanted to run from my past,” he finally admitted. “I didn’t have the best upbringing and I did a bunch of odd jobs so that we could get by,” his eyes flashed with pain, “my brother and I.” He leaned into his seat and stared at his half-empty cup of coffee. “Look, I’m not ready to talk about this,” he apologized, hands tightening around his cup. “It’s still a sensitive issue to me,” Yoochun explained. “Maybe when I’m ready . . .”

               “But—“

               “When I’m ready,” he promised, placing his cup back down gently. He smiled sadly and slipped his jacket back on. “I’m leaving first. Be careful,” he whispered. And just like that Park Yoochun left, temporarily disappearing off the face of the earth, and without once contacting her or coming by to see her to let her know he was doing just fine. Junsu called her every now and then, updating her on his whereabouts and speaking in the same shy voice he’d revealed over and over again. But he never visited.

               When their photo spread had miraculously appeared a month later, the response was overwhelming. Phone calls arrived at Chae Rin’s agency hourly, all asking about her niece and when they’d catch a next glimpse of her. Success came quickly, but it would all be upturned in a second. Trouble was brewing at an alarming rate and no one, not even the Gods, had any knowledge of what was to come. If only they’d seen it coming.

So, I've decided on writing personal replies with each chapter updated instead of commenting in the 'comments' section. I want you guys to know I read your comments (and squeal in happiness each time I do.) As long as you comment, I'll reply to you here so keep a look out for your name. ^^v I bet none of you expected an update this soon. Hohohoho. I suppose that's a good thing. It's a little shorter than I'd hoped though . . .  ^.~ Chapter eight coming soon--my favorite chapter yet. (Yes, I prewrote it. Couldn't wait to get to this point.) Story going forward full throttle now! See you soon. ;D

@classiccrime: You're always the first to comment. ^^v Thank-you so much for the support. It's a relief to finally get this chapter out. I guess the oranges are similar, but I picked them because they're supposedly good for your eyes. Apparently, I can't have my main character chewing on carrot sticks in the middle of Seoul, or so my friend tells me . . . I tried to be logical this time. b^^bThank-you for commenting again, I love hearing from you! :D

@amore_koko: Lovin' the chocolate comparison, especially since it's one of those extremely yummy brands. XD I'm glad you're enjoying the characters! Don't worry, Yunho and Changmin will reveal themselves when the time comes. Are you sure the hobo is Jaejoong? Nyahahaha. -becomes secretive- I'll update as soon as I can~ Thank-you for commenting! ^^

@hopetotheend: Super long comment alert~ :) Was it that surprising I updated? Lol. I think that's bad . . . very bad. Oh~? And why do you like this hobo, if I may ask? Curious~ Yeah, Chun has a girlfriend. But that's not his only secret now. Mehehe, Junsu. I had a hard time with him. Although he's my ULTIMATE bias, I tried to keep him in character with the whole, scared of girls thing. I hope I made it more natural for him to act the way he does with Rae Mi. T^T Glad to know it was worth it! I'll keep writing. Thanks again for the support. ;DD