Chapter Five

Allure of the City Lights

Chapter Five

“Delayed Introductions: Meeting Kim Junsu”- Portfolio Five

               “Hello?” Youngbae answered groggily. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and scooted closer to the edge of the bed so he could rest his feet on the ground. He looked around the room, seeing nothing except the pitch blackness of the night. Another glance to his left told him it was nearly one in the morning. “Hello?” He asked again.

                “Do you know someone by the name Chae Rin?”

                Youngbae stood up, eyebrows furrowing in confusion at the unknown voice. He checked his cell-phone again. Sure enough, the number was Chae Rin’s. A swirl of music and voices blended from the background of the other line. It was déjà vu all over again. He spoke softly into his phone, at the same time wrestling to get a clean shirt on when the voice informed him of her whereabouts.

                “Yeah, I’ll be right there. Please watch her,” he whispered. He slipped on his shoes and quietly made his way down the staircase. Just as he opened the front door, a light from behind him, in the living room. Youngbae spun around to come face to face with Grandma Yoo Ri. She shuffled towards him, grasping his hand and shaking her head.

                “Don’t leave,” she murmured.

                “I’m not. I just have to pick Chae Rin up,” he said, shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot. She shook her head, pulling Youngbae back into the house and shutting the door. He kept glancing back at the door, his mind never fully understanding why she didn’t want him to bring Chae Rin back. But he followed her into the dining room nonetheless, pursing his lips in a thin line as he watched her prepare tea. He felt the tension in the room sky-rocket as she turned to look at him sternly, gesturing to the wooden chair occupying a forth of the table. He knew when to joke around with her and when she was serious, for now it was the latter. She sighed, leaning her walking stick against the table.

                “Youngbae, you know I love you like my own son, so I think it’s only fair if I can protect you like you were my own too,” she started. “I’ve noticed a few things while you’re around Rin, so don’t go denying any of it. Just tell me the truth.”

                The truth . . . what truth? That he liked her a little more than he let on? A sense of hopelessness washed over him as he thought her words over again; the hopelessness mixed with the fear he’d felt nights ago after that strange incident. Everything was swirling together in his mind—it was probably best to stay away for awhile. But . . . he couldn’t, even if he wanted to. He was her best friend first above anything else. That single mind-set was enough for him to whisper a brief ‘sorry’ to Grandma Yoo Ri and head out the door. He wasn’t stupid. He wasn’t denying anything. He was taking care of his problem head on by doing his best to keep his feelings at bay. And it worked . . . for now.


                Promises had always been kept in the Nam household, no matter what was promised, or who it was promised by. It was one of the few rules Grandma Yoo Ri upheld around the house which was why Chae Rin had gotten up this morning. The sun’s light flooding through her curtains woke her up. She thought she was fine until a scalding migraine hit her full force. She groaned into her pillow and snuggled deeper into the blankets. CEO’s had their off days too.

                She felt around the bed and side table, her eyes still firmly shut, but she couldn’t find what she was looking for. Strange. She usually kept her cell-phone handy for any business calls. Since she more commonly dealt with clients in the country it wasn’t a problem, but she did have an occasional international client that wanted to set up flight arrangements to see her. Her memory was a little hazy for now but she’d remember how she got back here by midday. Her footsteps paddled along the wooden staircase. Unlike every Sunday morning, she couldn’t smell her mother’s pancakes. The kitchen was void of her mother, just a small yellow sticky note on the fridge.

                Take care of Rae Mi.

                I’m dropping Youngbae off at the airport.

                He says not to forget about Kim Junsu’s photo shoot

                when you get back.


                Three days. That was how long Rae Mi had concluded her aunt decided to take off a year. Crazy workaholic. There was a heavy tug on her ear, then a few mangled screams of pain. Primped and prodded with make-up wasn’t exactly how Rae Mi had envisioned her Wednesday morning. Well, at least she got to skip school. The thought of skipping out on classes to see a photo shoot in action was strangely inviting. Not to mention who was doing the modeling.

                “Ready to go?” Youngbae asked poking his head through the curtains.

                “Yeah. But why can’t I go in a T-shirt like you? You look comfy,” Rae Mi grumbled. Chae Rin yanked a strand of Rae Mi’s hair deliberately, annoyed at the amount of attention she was showering Youngbae with.

                “Stop complaining. Do you know how many girls would kill to be in your position?” she retorted, sending daggers at Youngbae. He laughed and pulled Rae Mi next to him and out the door. “Yah! Youngbae! She’s my model! Give her back!”

                “Did she give you breakfast this morning?” he asked, smiling down at Rae Mi. He glanced back at Chae Rin, grinning deviously. When she shook her head, Youngbae broke into a sprint with her stumbling behind in her heels. He pushed her into the rear seat and hopped into the driver’s seat. He smiled in satisfaction as a grumpy Chae Rin stormed into the car a few seconds later.

                “You—“

                “So where do you want to go for breakfast?”

                “Are you serious absolutely not! If she eats she’ll look like a mess!” Chae Rin peered at Rae Mi who was looking on curiously then leaned into Youngbae to whisper, “besides, you know how messy she gets when she eats.”

                “Oh, right,” he mumbled dejectedly.

                “Turn right here,” Chae Rin directed once Youngbae had passed an intersection. But, he didn’t listen and continued straight, speeding past at least four traffic lights. “Hey! You missed the turn! And stop going so fast, what are we, being chased by cops?”

                “No,” Youngbae stepped harder on the gas pedal. “I just don’t appreciate passenger drivers.”

                “Are you saying I’m bossy?”

                “No.”

                “But you implied it.”

                “I don’t know, you’re the one assuming.”

                Chae Rin slumped into the leather seat and hmph’d glaring at the glass window.

                “You’d think you guys were a married couple,” Rae Mi grumbled from the backseat. “Oh look, we’re here.”

                “NAM RAE MI! GET BACK IN THIS CAR RIGHT—“

                Slam.

                “That girl is going to get it,” Chae Rin muttered, flinging the car door open. Youngbae watched her go, not noticing the smile that had crept onto his face. He turned his car into the parking lot and brought the park to a slow stop. He sat staring blankly in front of him. God. He was so whipped.


                Rae Mi curiously wandered around the photo shoot premises, stopping every few minutes to ask questions about the clothing designs. She couldn’t decide if she liked this fashion thing or not but she did admit it perked her interest. The studio was packed with dozens of hot-headed men and women, supervising and directing the tragic mess of clothes lingering about the room. They looked at her oddly as she passed them one by one, pointing in her direction, and muttering something to whoever was closest to them. She watched them warily until someone made their way towards her.

                “Are you one of our models for the shoot? You should be taking pictures right now,” he said softly. Behind him, his colleagues sighed and shook their heads, motioning him to come back to them. They spoke to him briefly before sending him back. “I’m sorry, let me rephrase that. WE’RE PAYING YOU TO MODEL. IF YOU’RE NOT DOING YOUR JOB THEN YOU MIGHT AS WELL LEAVE!” He turned to his colleagues again, this time they gave him a thumbs up in approval. Each one of them earned themselves a slap to the back of their heads.

                “She’s not one of our models. Interns, this is Nam Rae Mi,” spoke Youngbae sternly, contrary to the attitude he possessed at home. “You will treat her with the same respect you treat me. Understood?” Before they could nod their heads and to their utter shock, someone had the nerve to slap Youngbae in the same way.

                “I told you not to give her special treatment. Have her help out along with the interns,” Chae Rin scolded, dragging him away by the arm. “She needs to learn what happens behind the scenes.” She sent a quick glare at the huddle of interns clearly whispering about her. “Are you interns slacking off? Get to work.”

                “Who the hell are you? We only take orders from Taeyang,” replied a girl, snootily raising her nose in the air. “You can’t go around ordering everyone like you own the place. Why don’t you establish yourself in the fashion industry first, then come talk to us.” Chae Rin tilted her head, and didn’t hide her questioning glance.

                “What’s your name, girl?” she asked, smiling invitingly.

                “Cho Da Soo,” she gave Chae Rin a quick look-over. If things turned out bad, she could probably take her. “You don’t scare me,” she added. With light steps, Chae Rin made her way over clicking her tongue once as she gave the girl a sideways glance.

                “If you knew who I was, you wouldn’t be speaking this way. If I had my way, you wouldn’t be able to get a job anywhere in this industry. Next time you try to back talk your seniors maybe you should be prepared to lose your job and any opportunity to get another. Try to learn your place, intern. Nam Chae Rin hates back talkers,” she retaliated. “And you!” Rae Mi jumped at the finger now pointed in her direction. “Get to work!”

                “Come on, Rae Mi. Why don’t you ask if the photographer needs anything?” Youngbae said kindly, gesturing to the man shouting commands at the head of the room. “He’s a little intimidating but don’t worry. He’s easy enough to talk to, a complete softy. If you need anything, don’t hesitate to call me or—“ he glanced at Chae Rin scolding another intern. “Yeah, just tell me if you need anything.”

                And then she was alone . . . well besides the other people in the room busy with their work. She nervously made her way to the photographer who was nestled on the floor in the strangest position. He was lying on his back snapping pictures and occasionally spinning on his back to get better angles. When he finally waved for a five minute break, dozens of people rushed past him to return the set back to normal. After a few seconds they scrambled off into another room, bringing in more props, probably for the next shooting. The photographer was now studying his camera, flipping through the pictures and nodding to himself.

                “You’ve done it again, Cheol Yong,” he laughed to himself, hugging his camera close. “Oh, I love my job.”

                “Um, excuse me?” His eyes fell on her. She quickly bowed to hide her impending blush. “Is there anything I can get you? Or do you need help with something?” He stared blankly at her for a few moments. Rae Mi hung her head in embarrassment, keeping her hands occupied by curling a piece of hair behind her ear. He could’ve at least said something to her. There was a second of blinding light, then small spots dotting her vision from the sudden attack. When she looked up at him, regaining her line of sight, she was staring at the long lenses of his camera.

                “Smile for me, will you?” he requested, squinting his eye into the camera and adjusting the lenses accordingly. Rae Mi heard a strange whirring sound as he zoomed in and out of focus then smiled half-heartedly, brushing her bangs from her eyes. The camera let off a small click before Cheol Yong checked the finishing product. “Great. Is this your first time on set?”

                “Yeah, I’ve only been to a few auditions where they had as take some pictures but that’s about the extent of my experience,” Rae Mi stammered, twirling her hair at his unnerving stare. He nodded, still staring at the photo.

                “You have wonderful eyes, my dear. Don’t be so modest. The eyes are the windows to the soul as that saying goes,” he complimented, lowering his glasses to the bridge of his nose to get a better look at her. “Well . . .” Rae Mi blinked back at him in confusion. “Aren’t you a model? I like you so, why don’t you join us for this next shoot?”

                “No!” Rae Mi bit her lip. “Not that I don’t want to,” she assured. “I’m supposed to be helping you out and I’m not exactly sure of what’ll happen if my aunt found out I disobeyed her orders.” Cheol Yong shrugged.

                “Suit yourself, dear. Just stack the papers over there but tell me if you change your mind,” he added, turning to the staff. “Break’s over! Bring in our next model!” he called over the indistinct chatter. The staff members literally dropped their coffee cups and sprinted into the back room. Rae Mi could hear the shouting from the opposite side and sighed, glad that she wasn’t working behind the door. “Junsu-sshi, if you’ll just stand over there for a moment. I just have to change my film. Be right back,” Cheol Yong said, walking over to his equipment bags.

                Rae Mi carefully aligned the freshly printed papers and sorted them into their proper folders. The staff’s chatter was drowned out by the whining of models flooding the photo area. They dressed in attire similar to hers. She peered down at her shabby hand-me-down leggings compared to their lean bare legs then sighed, turning back to her work. She really wasn’t cut out for this job.

                “Sorry, ladies, I’m on a tight schedule so I don’t have time tonight. I have to fly over to Japan for my next photo shoot. I hope you understand,” a voice soothingly reassured. “But I’m sure we’ll meet again, so don’t be so discouraged.” Whines of protest drowned out whatever he said next.

                “But Junsu, you never have time for anyone. I’m beginning to doubt you’ve even taken a woman out before. You used the same line at your last photo shoot.”

                “All right, I’m back. I just wanted to run things by you, Junsu-sshi. Our concept for today is rugged but still confined. We don’t want our audience to think this perfume scent is overpowering. I need just the right amount of testosterone in this shoot. Can you do that for me?” Rae Mi assumed whoever he was talking to agreed. “Good. I expect a lot from you today, Junsu-sshi. It’s nice to finally work with you.”

                “Same, Cheol Yong-sshi,” came his answer. “I’ve heard you know how to keep the atmosphere intact.”

                “That I do. So let’s get started,” Cheol Yong replied. Rae Mi finished up organizing the papers and turned her attention to the commencing shoot. Female models, gorgeous as they were, were hanging over the man at the center of it all. Did they have any pride at all? For heaven’s sake he was just a man. She let her eyes rest on his lean figure moving upwards. A prominent jaw structure highlighted his face, leading to the curve of his chin. His upper lip was pressed into a thin line against his bottom lip suggesting deep thought in contrast to the soft almond shape his eyes took. Warm brown. That was the color they were. Warm Brown. It was a color she’d laid eyes on before. It was something she remembered.


                “Thank-you, Junsu. You can take a break. I just need to talk with the other models for a second,” Cheol Yong sighed in aggravation, waving him away. “Listen to me, ladies. I want you to be professional with me. Act the part or get out,” he harshly stated. “Hanging over Junsu is clearly making him uncomfortable so, stop doing it. Understand?”

                “Ne,” they replied in unison, not really taking his advice to heart.

                “Okay, everyone back on set! Junsu, try to relax a little. Your shoulders are all tensed up,” he observed, noting the females swarming around him again. “Didn’t I say to stop crowding him? All of you take a step back. Yeah, just like that. Not a fraction of an inch closer.” Cheol Yong brought the camera to his squinted eye again but sighed in frustration and let it fall to his chest as he released his grip. “This isn’t working. Rae Mi, can you hand me a bottle of water?” he asked, rubbing his fingers over his temples. “Why is this taking more effort than needed?”

                Rae Mi handed him the bottled water and smiled reassuringly at his dejected face. He glanced up at her, sipping on his water slowly, calculating, thinking. “Hey, can you do me a favor and stand right over there?” A quick look in the direction his finger was pointing to indicated the spot on the sofa next to Junsu. He looked uncomfortable around all the females, adding another one probably wasn’t going to help. She complied to his request anyways, squirming under the gaze of the other models. “Relax, Rae Mi.”

                The air was tense and suffocating, in a hypothetical sense of course. They were all still staring at her. They weren’t even trying to hide it anymore. “Can all of you put a little effort into this shoot?” scolded the man next to her. And then their glares were gone. Rae Mi took a deep breath before looking at him, without wavering he stared right back at her, cocking his head to the left in a questioning manner. “Hello,” he said monotonously. Rae Mi wasn’t mistaken, his eyes were a warm brown; the same brown eyes from the picture on her wall. She bowed in respect, turning to face the camera again. Cheol Yong wasn’t standing anymore. He had resumed his comfortable position on the floor, spinning in wide circles for better angles.

                “Continue, Rae Mi. Don’t mind me,” he spoke, clicking again into the camera. “Remember what we talked about. Just focus on putting the proper emotions into your eyes. That’s it, just like that,” he complimented, spinning a full one-eighty. “Good, good. Can you interact more with her, Junsu? Put your arm over her shoulder and pull her towards you. Exactly like that. Rae Mi turn to face him,” he commanded, snapping away.

                It was a first-time experience for Junsu. Putting his arm around a girl wasn’t something he usually did. Hell, he didn’t even think he pulled that stunt once during a photo shoot. He tended to . . . avoid contact with females in the room. People were just too immersed in their job to notice his strange behavior. Junsu admitted he was hesitant at first but the strong sense of knowing in her eyes made it easier to move closer. Come to think of it, it was the first time Junsu had seen eyes so full of emotion . . . well since his brother of course. ‘They’d make a good pair,’ he thought, slipping his fingers between the strands of her hair. ‘If I don’t decide to keep her for myself,’ he added. He smiled genuinely, moving in closer to her face, eyes flickering to her lips intentionally.

                ‘I thought he had a phobia of girls,’ Rae Mi thought in alarm as he inched closer. Junsu noticed fear flash through her eyes and backed away, not wanting to disrupt the forming mood on set.

                “Sorry,” he whispered. Rae Mi shook her head, letting a small smile slip onto her face. A model next to her who had noticed the exchange angrily huffed and dug her elbow into Rae Mi’s side. The pain was bearable at first but her elbow soon turned into her fingernails as the jealous model realized Cheol Yong was too immersed in his shoot to realize what was going on. She squeezed harder on the thin fabric and incited a small whimper from Rae Mi.

                “You’re too close to him, ,” she hissed. Rae Mi shifted away from Junsu and felt the pressure on her side lessen. “Good girl.”

                “Let go of her,” a male voice spat. Junsu moved his gaze from the camera to the surprised model. At his demand the pain subsided. Rae Mi breathed in relief, touching the irritated skin tenderly. Cool fingers brushed over her hand, resting on top. “Are you all right?”

                “Thank-you,” she murmured. Rae Mi looked through her bangs at Junsu. He nodded, softly watching her curl the obstruction behind her ear.

                “And that’s a wrap,” Cheol Yong shouted, interrupting the scene. “Great job, everyone. Rae Mi, could I speak with you, please?” The girl untangled his fingers from her hair and flashed him a small smile, obediently walking over to the photographer. He talked with her excitedly, grinning at every picture he showed her, and looking to see her reaction for approval. “Do you plan on modeling again soon?”

                “As of now? No, I don’t think so. I haven’t been to an audition in awhile,” she said her forehead crinkling from deep thought about the matter.

                “Then why don’t you drop by my studio tomorrow? I’m discussing plans with a new endorser and I think you’d be perfect for the job. That is, if you don’t mind the beach. They’re advertising their new beach-wear. Are you up for the challenge?” he teased. Rae Mi nodded back at him, holding back a smile that threatened to show on her face. Cheol Yong clapped his hands together. “Excellent! I hear Park Yoochun will be attending our meeting too. Don’t let me down now,” he added, walking off to help the staff pack up. Rae Mi stood rooted in her place. . Park Yoochun?

                “Excuse me,” someone spoke, tapping her shoulder lightly. She twirled to face the owner of the voice.

                “Yes?” she said shakily.

                “I don’t think we got to properly introduce ourselves. I’m Kim Junsu. Rae Mi, right?” he confirmed. Rae Mi shuffled awkwardly, not daring to look up at him. He had a soft gaze locked on her, but it all just seemed so intimidating. The truth that she had just modeled with him struck her like a pile of bricks. What did she get herself into? “Um, Rae Mi-sshi?” she looked up at him. “I haven’t had the pleasure of working with someone like you before. I think I’d like that though. Maybe we’ll meet again?” Wow. Kim ing Junsu just complimented her.

                “S-sure,” she stuttered. ‘Oh, great reply, Rae Mi. S-s-s-s-sure. You sound like a snake its back,” she scolded herself. Junsu found it odd she hadn’t spoken more than one word to him. He didn’t usually have to pick up the conversation. He cleared his throat to get her attention once he found her staring at the ground again.

                “Unless you don’t want to see me again,” he said. “Just let me down slowly.” Rae Mi cracked a smile, nudging his arm with her elbow.

                “No, no. It was . . . nice working with you too, Junsu-sshi. Would be again nice,” she spoke, accidentally jumbling her words. “I-I mean it would be nice to model with you again,” she corrected, puffing her cheeks in annoyance. What was with all her mistakes today? She was on a roll. Luckily Junsu found it cute and laughed it off, or did he make it seem that way? She couldn’t tell with all these models. One second they were happy-go-lucky for a shoot, then the next they’re all sultry and posing with their shirts undone. Too confusing . . . She waved him goodbye and trudged off, sulking at her attitude. Way to go. She should’ve been more assertive. This modeling job was warping her personality.

                “Rae Mi-sshi! Wait!” Junsu’s voice rang out from behind her. “Here,” he said, placing a small slip of paper into her hand. “Call me anytime, all right?” formed a small ‘o’ at the scrap in her hands. Junsu smiled encouragingly and hopped away, exiting the studio.

                “Yah! Nam Rae Mi, what are you doing standing there all by yourself? If you don’t hurry up Youngbae and I are going to leave you here,” yelled her aunt’s familiar voice. “1, 2—“

                “I’m coming! Wait up!”


                “Junsu,” Cheol Yong huffed, struggling to catch up with the model. The man blinked in surprise at the photographer hot on his heels. “Slow down,” he asked. Junsu slowed to a halt.

                “What’s wrong, Cheol Yong-sshi?”

                “Just drop the formalities. I wanted to give you this.” Cheol Yong shuffled through his belongings and whipped out a manila folder. He thumbed through the pictures inside and upon finding the one he was looking for her handed it over to Junsu. “Don’t look so surprised.” Junsu ghosted his fingers over the photo, delicately holding it between his fingers. He looked up at Cheol Yong in question.

                “What is this for?” Junsu wondered aloud, moving his eyes to the amused photographer.

                “It’s to commemorate your first successful shoot with a woman.”

                Junsu’s eyes widened. He knew?!

                “Yeah, I did. A few photographers have mentioned it to me. Seeing you on set just confirmed their thoughts. This one doesn’t exactly fit what we’re endorsing but it’s a beauty isn’t it. I hope you don’t mind but,” he took out a second copy of the photo, “I’m putting this into my portfolio. It’s not every day you get to work with a girl like that.”


                Junsu stared at the photo in hand and then carefully pinned it to his wall. He recalled the earlier conversation with Cheol Yong. He broke into a smile—he didn’t think it was possible. The piece of paper on his desk blew onto the ground from the open window. He glanced at it then swiped it off the ground. His legs brought him to the house phone. The phone’s other line rang once, twice—

                “Hello, Cheol Yong? Yeah, I gave it some thought. I’ll take the job. No problem. As long as I get to work with her again.”